One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

That evening wasn't the first nor the last time Jess disregarded Rory's request. The most egregious was in Kyle's bedroom but he never really "heard" her. It was always what he wanted, when he wanted it it. 

Many think that relationship was an endgame type of relationship but would they if they cared about the agency of the female component? 

On 12/6/2018 at 7:26 AM, Katy M said:

The only part I didn't like about that was that he showed up when she told him she wanted to be alone. But, Paris and Jess also came over and wouldn't leave when asked, so they're all pretty much tied at that point.  But, I would be mad if my significant other told me I couldn't come over because they wanted to be alone and then found out there were other people over there, including the guy who was obviously trying to get with her.

I agree but he should have understood that she didn't invite them. They are not there because she wanted them there but not him.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I agree but he should have understood that she didn't invite them. They are not there because she wanted them there but not him.

Then grow a spine and ask them to leave.  I would have been peeved as well.  She was able to make it clear that Dean wasn't welcome but couldn't do the same for the other two?

Share Post

19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Then grow a spine and ask them to leave.  I would have been peeved as well.  She was able to make it clear that Dean wasn't welcome but couldn't do the same for the other two?

She did. I guess she should've forcibly removed him? What was she to do when she made it clear she didn't want him there?

Share Post

18 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Or, at the very least, when Dean calls, tell him.  She was clearly trying to cover up, which became obvious when he showed up (again wrongly).  But, let's pretend Dean called and asked if he could bring over ice cream, Rory said no and he actually decided to honor her request.  And then Jess and Paris's discussion gets louder and he hears it over the phone.  He gets the same information without having done anything wrong, and it still looks like she's hiding it (because she was).

Just now, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

She did. I guess she should've forcibly removed him? What was she to do when she made it clear she didn't want him there?

She could have said "Jess, I absolutely mean it.  You have to leave."  Then goes in her room and shuts the door.  If he still doesn't leave, call Luke, because he has serious issues at that point.

I actually can't remember the exact wording of how he ended up staying, but I do remember with Paris she said something to the effect of "fine, we'll do x and that's it."  So, I feel like she probably also reluctantly gave Jess permission to stay.

Share Post

I'm watching Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving right now. How stupid was Lorelai not to know that Rory needed to apply to more than one college? Of course you need to apply to several, that's just common sense. She was naive to assume that Rory was automatically going to get into Harvard (she did, but that's not the point) what would they have done if she hadn't? There is only a small window of time to be accepted and then you are at a disadvantage from then on.

Share Post

42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving right now. How stupid was Lorelai not to know that Rory needed to apply to more than one college? Of course you need to apply to several, that's just common sense. She was naive to assume that Rory was automatically going to get into Harvard (she did, but that's not the point) what would they have done if she hadn't? There is only a small window of time to be accepted and then you are at a disadvantage from then on.

My bigger question is where did Rory get the money to apply to the other schools? I only applied to 2 schools but my parents paid the application fees.

Share Post

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

She was naive to assume that Rory was automatically going to get into Harvard

I'm really surprised the guests didn't burst out laughing when Rory said "I'm pretty much counting on Harvard."  

Share Post

This to me is evidence of Lorelai’s disdain for her parents’ lifestyle until it suits her.  I am sure it never occurred to her that Rory wouldn’t attend Harvard because if Rory failed to get in, I have no doubt Lorelei would have gone to her parents to have them find a connection and get Rory in because she “deserved” it.

Share Post

17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

She was naive to assume that Rory was automatically going to get into Harvard (she did, but that's not the point) what would they have done if she hadn't?

I chalk this up to inconsistent writing. Both Richard and Rory at different times point out that Lorelai never applied to college so she didn't know how those things work. But, Lorelai was a private school kid on the college track. She would have been groomed for years for higher education if only to marry well. At 16 she would have had plenty of guidance counselors telling her the ins and outs that she would need to get into a good school. Even if she herself never had the opportunity to apply to college, almost everyone else around her was. It seems completely ridiculous to me that with her background as well as her devotion to Rory getting into the Iviest of the Ivies, that she wouldn't know how the process works. Let alone that she would make a huge scene about it in front of a group of her parents' friends. I assumed that whole thing was to add a dramatic/embarrassing Lorelai moment to yet another Gilmore get together. 

Share Post

21 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

She wasn't being a doormat, she was reacting like the person who was in the wrong. Eventually, all their issues were laid at her feet and I see that example in the scene you mention.

I personally think she was in the wrong. Not wanting to have Dean over wasn’t wrong, but most people in relationships wouldn’t be happy if their significant other said they wanted to be alone and then were hanging out with someone who had made it clear they were trying to undermine your relationship.

Share Post

For argument’s sake let’s say that Lorelai’s private school wasn’t as vigilant about the students being prepared for applying to college in the early 80s. That wouldn’t change the fact that Chilton sure as hell would have been when Rory attended. And there’s no way Lorelai could have avoided it no matter how little she was involved. My Chilton-esque school made sure the parents were in the loop with regard to the process from the moment it began. And Lorelai being in the Boosters and having Emily for a mother also meant she wouldn’t have been able to avoid the information. It was just a contrived reason for a Gilmore argument. 

Share Post

23 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I chalk this up to inconsistent writing. Both Richard and Rory at different times point out that Lorelai never applied to college so she didn't know how those things work. But, Lorelai was a private school kid on the college track. She would have been groomed for years for higher education if only to marry well. At 16 she would have had plenty of guidance counselors telling her the ins and outs that she would need to get into a good school. Even if she herself never had the opportunity to apply to college, almost everyone else around her was. It seems completely ridiculous to me that with her background as well as her devotion to Rory getting into the Iviest of the Ivies, that she wouldn't know how the process works. Let alone that she would make a huge scene about it in front of a group of her parents' friends. I assumed that whole thing was to add a dramatic/embarrassing Lorelai moment to yet another Gilmore get together. 

So do I. It doesn't make sense to Lorelai's background. There's no way she wasn't groomed for college. Her private school and her parents. Plus Lorelai has been the one who talked about Harvard all the time and was making sure Rory was going to college. In the first episode when Rory changes her mind about going to Chilton Lorelai tries to get her to see that she needs to go to Chilton to get into Harvard. She wonders in the fourth episode whether she was the one who decided on Harvard instead Rory.  It makes no sense that she wouldn't have found out what Rory needed to get to Harvard. The whole point of going to Chilton was for it. But then she drops the ball and doesn't research it? Its like the sudden panic in season two about extracurricular activities that Rory or Lorelai didn't know?  Or the third episode in season three when Rory fills out her application and they both are shocked to learn everyone had the same scores and extracurricular activities and that so many people wanted to get into Harvard from all around the world. They should already know this. Rory should have been doing different things in all three years at Chilton to impress Harvard. Not just the newspaper or the build a house after Paris told her that Harvard loves those things and run for vice president after Paris pointed out again Harvard loves those things. 

Edited by andromeda331.

Share Post

Watching Lorelai out of Water. I really dislike the whole weird plot with Lane's cousin James marrying a poor girl shipped over from Korea for him? The poor girl doesn't speak any English. Does she even have any say in any of this (I lean towards no). Its weird to have Lane and Rory talking about weddings and their boyfriends while doing the poor girl's makeup. I like them talking but wish they were doing something different. Or they made it seem like the bride was totally up for her marriage. Plus the fun story of Lane's cousin who attacked her horrible husband with a peeler and still married to him.  I do like Lane unable to say she liked Jess. It is weird that Rory tells her best friend its okay to not like Jess. Gee, Rory maybe you should think about it if you really do understand why your best friend hates your boyfriend. I didn't really like her tell Lane to try harder mostly because I doubt she told Jess the same thing. Maybe tell your boyfriend to stop being such a jerk Rory. Or wonder why your dating a jerk. After the wedding Lane invites Rory to bring Jess to the reception but of course Rory turns her down cause Jess doesn't do reception. Well, what does he do Rory? He can't suck it up for an hour or so while Rory and Lane continue to hang out? I also really hate in Swan Song at the end when Rory tells her mother she's thinking of sleeping with Jess, right after he lies to Rory about how got his black eye. I know Rory doesn't realize he lied (even though its a weird lie Jess throwing a football around? That doesn't sound like him) but its depressing she's thinking about sleeping with someone who just lied to her. And after Luke tried to give him advice. While I blame Rory for the fight at Emily's (although I do think he was being rude to Emily) because she wouldn't let it go and jumped to assuming he got in a fight with Dean and doesn't believe him to the point she goes to Dean and asks him. But thinks at the end of the episode after all that she's ready for sex with Jess. Really Rory? What exactly makes you think that? I guess that part is sadly consistent when she thinks its a great its a great idea to sleep with a married Dean next season. 

Edited by andromeda331.

Share Post

She was a teenager with raging hormones? I can understand this criticism if the behavior didn't end. After accepting the ill treatment for a long time, she reached her breaking point and put a stop to it. She had chances to revise the relationship but refused them all. It took its time, what a whole summer? But she reached the end of her rope

Perhaps, one of the reasons she's never looked back fondly on that relationship, was because she gave him a million chances all of which he squandered. 

Share Post

On 12/12/2018 at 12:55 AM, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

She was a teenager with raging hormones? I can understand this criticism if the behavior didn't end. After accepting the ill treatment for a long time, she reached her breaking point and put a stop to it. She had chances to revise the relationship but refused them all. It took its time, what a whole summer? But she reached the end of her rope

But, Rory didn't put a stop to anything. Jess simply left and it ended. She didn't even get a say in the end of their relationship, it was just one more humiliation where he refused to tell her what was happening. And then, he was gone.

Share Post

17 minutes ago, MatildaMoody said:

But, Rory didn't put a stop to anything. Jess simply left and it ended. She didn't even get a say in the end of their relationship, it was just one more humiliation where he refused to tell her what was happening. And then, he was gone.

Didn't he come back to ask her away? He didn't come on to her as late as season 6?

Share Post

54 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Didn't he come back to ask her away? He didn't come on to her as late as season 6?

I think there's a difference between "putting a stop" to something and not picking something back up over a year later. Especially since she was busy sniffing around Lindsay's husband at the time.

Share Post

On 12/13/2018 at 8:50 AM, MatildaMoody said:

Yes, including his "silent phone calls". Where she even said to him on the last phone call right after graduation: "I could have helped you, you could have talked to me, but you didn't.  I think... I think I loved you and you didn't let me help you. Wherever you are, I  hope you figure things out." Then she hangs up and Jess is left looking like: "I guess I should have said something the last four times I called. Oh well, off to walk to my father's business on a spin off that is never going to happen." 

Share Post