One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I didn't think Rory's reaction to the coupons, magazines, movie channels, etc was because she thought it was so bad that Lorelai was budgeting. I thought it was more about Lorelai hiding a potential problem from Rory. She was worried about the changes and why Lorelai hadn't said anything. I'm generally loathe to defend Rory, but that was the impression I got. 

Exactly.

I thought she was concerned.  Kind of lightly joking about it.

Share Post

14 hours ago, deaja said:

Remember the job she had for a week at the bookstore where she spent more than she made? Ugh. I know Lorelai ended up paying for those, but come on. Libraries exist. Self control is a thing. Just because a book sounds interesting, you do not need to own it!

I wondered how Lorelai paid for them, when she was clipping coupons not long before.

13 hours ago, shron17 said:

Not to defend Rory, or even imply she's not as bad as y'all are saying, but we saw her get two jobs after that.  The one at the DAR with Emily and the one at the Stanford Gazette that she begged for after she moved out of the Gilmore house.  Just because we didn't see  working all the time doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't bringing in some money, probably enough to pay for at least some of her expenses.

It's okay to defend Rory. :) 

Share Post

16 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I didn't think Rory's reaction to the coupons, magazines, movie channels, etc was because she thought it was so bad that Lorelai was budgeting. I thought it was more about Lorelai hiding a potential problem from Rory. She was worried about the changes and why Lorelai hadn't said anything. I'm generally loathe to defend Rory, but that was the impression I got. 

I think Rory was concerned but she had acted appalled by coupon clipping in an earlier episode as well (Season 3 when Lorelai was talking about the $75,000 from Richard). 

Share Post

Not that this has anything to do with anything really, but I was just thinking.  I bet Emily would be horrified at coupon clipping, but Richard would think it would be good business sense.

Share Post

The coupons and the magazines/movies channels were two different moments. Yes, she felt her mother was cutting back on some things when she was building the inn, by not going out so much, using less powerful light bulbs, not have some channels and magazines etc. The coupons were just a quick "joke".

Coupons were S04E07:
[Lorelai is sitting at the kitchen table clipping coupons. Rory walks out of her bedroom carrying a bag of laundry, and Lorelai hides the coupons.]
LORELAI: Morning.
RORY: Morning.
LORELAI: Hey, would you be horrified if I started clipping coupons again?
RORY: Yes.
LORELAI: Oh, well, then, I won't.
RORY: Wait, did you say again?
LORELAI: I meant ever.
RORY: When did you clip coupons before?
LORELAI: I didn't. I misspoke. Whoops.
RORY: Uh huh.
LORELAI: Hey, how is it that your dirty laundry has increased exponentially since you started Yale?
RORY: 'Cause I'm a dirty, filthy Yale girl now. [she grabs the page of coupons from the table]
LORELAI: I told you I'm not gonna clip them!
RORY: Then I don't see the problem.
LORELAI: Just for the Fig Newtons, please!

Movie channels and magazines were S04E12:
RORY: What happened to our movie channels?
LORELAI: What do you mean?
RORY: Well, I was flipping through cable and a bunch of our channels are gone.
LORELAI: Oh. Well, that's not right.
RORY: And you have bread.
LORELAI: [chuckles] There's a connection?
RORY: Are you skimping?
LORELAI: What?
RORY: Cutting back on things, cable, eating out, the bread, the cheese, the tomato
LORELAI: Okay, hey - if you're going to try me in a court of law, the bread, the tomato and I will need to hire a lawyer.
RORY: There's no takeout in the fridge, no takeout containers in the trash.
LORELAI: You're going through the trash?
RORY: And I'm not seeing the stacks of magazines lying around. We always subscribe to everything.
LORELAI: Yes, we do. I've read them all, they're in recycle bin - you can go check.
RORY: It even seems a little darker in here - like you're using a lower watt bulb, or something.
LORELAI: Oh my God, you're reading into everything.
RORY: You're not having money problems?
LORELAI: No. I mean, I'm not going to be on the Fortune 500 list anytime soon, but I'm fine.
RORY: With the Inn and everything?
LORELAI: Yes. We're getting a horse.
RORY: Cool. And food for the horse?
LORELAI: He'll be well fed.
RORY: Just as long as you're well fed too.
LORELAI: Yeah, I'll call the cable company in the morning. I think we should be getting those channels.
RORY: Well, you'd tell me, right?
LORELAI: Yes.
RORY: Well, goodnight.
LORELAI: Good night angel. [Rory rises and leaves. When she is out of sight, Lorelai clicks off the nearby table lamp.]

Edited by marineg.

Share Post

On 7/13/2018 at 7:39 AM, deaja said:

Remember the job she had for a week at the bookstore where she spent more than she made? Ugh. I know Lorelai ended up paying for those, but come on. Libraries exist. Self control is a thing. Just because a book sounds interesting, you do not need to own it!

B ..but, she's just sooo smart. We need to see how smart she is or else we won't know how smart she is! Don't you get it? She's sooo smart!

Share Post

Thing is, in the normal non-ASP world, that doesn't sound smart. In what kind of world would buying 30 brand new books when you can afford to wash your laundry be smart? It's not cute quirky Rory. When she went to the book fair with Dean and bought a lot of books that cost about a dollar each, that was cute and made her look smart. Not this.

And I love when Lorelai says she's gonna cover her book bill with Andrew just as Rory is about to leave for Yale. How did Rory plan on paying for those books when she had no money for her phone and laundry? Did Andrew let Rory leave the store with a couple dozens books after spending her week working for him not doing anything apart from noting all the books she could buy?

Share Post

Y'all are forgetting about how hard Rory hustled at that card swiping job in the cafeteria! She spent the whole time on the phone whining and complaining about having to work rather than actually working and apparently stuck with it for one (!) shift before opting never to return. If that's not a stellar, scrappy work ethic that we should all strive to emulate, I don't know what is.

If Rory was deliberately written to be spoiled, obnoxiously oblivious and entitled, then I'd find her behavior from season 4 onward a lot more palatable. I even had a grudging respect for the revival for showing how lost someone as coddled yet clueless as Rory might actually turn out ten years down the road. It seemed the closest the show had ever come to acknowledging the depth and extent of Rory's flaws. Generally, however, I don't think the writers see their characters like I do, and it leads to a disconnect whenever I rewatch GG

A few folks noted a while back that the writers would have been better off avoiding socioeconomic status and financial matters entirely rather than depicting them so inconsistently and inaccurately, and I'm in absolute agreement. There are few things more grating than listening to Lorelai and especially Rory suddenly whine about being "broke" when

a. they're NOT, not even close,

b. even if they ever were, they have a handful of wealthy people in their lives who are always eager to give them as much money as anyone could ever possibly need - and that's GIVE, not even loan. 

c. the writers themselves forget about the Gilmore girls' supposed money problems by the next episode, and for the overwhelming majority of every season, they live as if they are more financially comfortable than 98% of us ever will be.

The writers also sometimes forget what century we're in, like when they model Emily and Richard after  Gilligan's Island Thurston Howell and his wife or when they tried to float the idea that Logan is about to enter a loveless marriage in order to maintain the family's "dynasty" like they were cribbing from Downton Abbey. I wish the writers would stick to their strengths, like witty dialogue and...come to think of it, do they have a true and consistent strength other than witty dialogue? 

Edited by alonenotlonely.

Share Post

27 minutes ago, alonenotlonely said:

...come to think of it, do they have a true and consistent strength other than witty dialogue? 

No.  Their consistency is their inconsistency and lack of continuity.

Share Post

The writers also sometimes forget what century we're in, like when they model Emily and Richard after  Gilligan's Island Thurston Howell and his wife 

I see you've never met my parents. ;-)

Share Post

7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I see you've never met my parents.

So did you end up like Ginger or Mary Ann?

Share Post

6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

So did you end up like Ginger or Mary Ann?

Betty Rubble.

Share Post

6 hours ago, marineg said:

Thing is, in the normal non-ASP world, that doesn't sound smart. In what kind of world would buying 30 brand new books when you can afford to wash your laundry be smart? It's not cute quirky Rory. When she went to the book fair with Dean and bought a lot of books that cost about a dollar each, that was cute and made her look smart. Not this.

And I love when Lorelai says she's gonna cover her book bill with Andrew just as Rory is about to leave for Yale. How did Rory plan on paying for those books when she had no money for her phone and laundry? Did Andrew let Rory leave the store with a couple dozens books after spending her week working for him not doing anything apart from noting all the books she could buy?

How much of a discount do you get when you work at a bookstore? Does anyone know? I used to think that working in a bookstore would be ideal, because I could look at the books when things were slow. 

You've reminded me of when our school used to hold "white elephant" sales. The assembly hall would have large tables set up there, and one year, I bought a bunch of books at the end of the day. I lugged a couple of bags home. The woman was so happy to meet a kid who loved books (and as I said, it was the end of the day), that she gave me more for free. :) 

Edited by Anela.

Share Post

On 7/14/2018 at 12:17 PM, Alice Mudgarden said:

That coupon scene still annoys me just reading it haha

It is annoying.  I make a good salary and I <3 coupons.  I am not ashamed to save $2 on laundry detergent.  

Share Post

On 7/14/2018 at 4:05 PM, marineg said:

Maybe he gave them to her on credit, or she had a tab or something?  I mean, it's a small town, everyone knows everyone, he probably thought there was no way he wouldn't get his money.  And I think stores in small towns  might still do that sort of thing, if they know people. 

What I've always wondered is who paid for the $100s worth of makeup that the girls at April's birthday party took?  Did Luke cover it?  Did Lorelai cover it?  Did they just give it to her because Lorelai is their queen?  

Share Post

4 minutes ago, steff13 said:

It is annoying.  I make a good salary and I <3 coupons.  I am not ashamed to save $2 on laundry detergent.  

I get excited when I get a good coupon for something I like/use.

It doesn't take much to make me happy haha

Share Post

I finally had to give up on coupons because I never had them when I needed them, but I will fight you to the death to protect my Target cartwheel app.

Share Post

If a billionaire "heir", my multimillionaire grandparents (though, unsurprisingly, the writers were inconsistent about how wealthy Emily and Richard supposedly are and where they rank in the show's imaginary New England/Downton Abbey societal hierarchy) and sometimes Christopher were all waiting around to throw unlimited money my way anytime I might decide I "need" or just want it, I might not be as diligent about my coupon clipping as I am. :) It still cracks me up that we were supposed to find Lorelai and Rory's financial issues relatable in some way. The writers of this show were so detached from reality! I'm guessing that during the one or two episodes a season where Rory suddenly whines about being "broke," we're not supposed to want to smack her? This despite the fact that she almost never has a job [even as an adult ten years out of college], whines and sulks through the few halfhearted attempts at work she ever seemed to make [again, even as a fully grown woman!], lives daily as if she hadn't a financial worry in the world, and has access to untold funds from people who adore and spoil her unconditionally. That's not even taking into account her trust fund and whatever she's now inherited from Richard, though I guess all those European excursions to have sex with an engaged man while cheating on her devoted boyfriend must add up. Poor Rory...we should start a GoFundMe page for her :)

Edited by alonenotlonely.

Share Post

Considering there’s a GoFundMe to help get Kylie Jenner to billionaire status, it’s totally within possibility that the besotted Rory worshippers of the GG universe would do something to that effect, so their princess can be kept in the lifestyle she wants. 

Share Post

On 7/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Considering there’s a GoFundMe to help get Kylie Jenner to billionaire status, it’s totally within possibility that the besotted Rory worshippers of the GG universe would do something to that effect, so their princess can be kept in the lifestyle she wants. 

So...you're not going to be contributing to KJ's fund?  ;)

My unpopular opinion today is that there is no way I'd want to live in a town like Stars Hollow.

I'm not a big city girl, but I do like more personal space and more amenities.  I like having good friends without an entire population being up my shizz and I despise gossip.

Edited by stan4.

Share Post

5 hours ago, stan4 said:

So...you're not going to be contributing to KJ's fund?  ;)

My unpopular opinion today is that there is no way I'd want to live in a town like Stars Hollow.

I'm not a big city girl, but I do like more personal space and more amenities.  I like having good friends without an entire population being up my shizz and I despise gossip.

I don't like gossip, but I'd love to have a "local" breakfast place, grocery store. I grew up close to London, in small towns that had their own stores, libraries, etc. I don't even have that where I live now (have lived for years) and it's too isolating. 

Share Post