General True Crime Shows

2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, I must agree that prison is doing her good.  She looks very happy now, clean and groomed and she has a lot of poise now.  I hope when she is released she finds a REAL support system that won't be looking to use her.

I think one of the problems was not only was she abused, she was infantilized so she didn't have the maturity to consider her situation and what to do about it. 

Share Post

18 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

I think one of the problems was not only was she abused, she was infantilized so she didn't have the maturity to consider her situation and what to do about it. 

This.

My husband wasn't infantilized, but his mother saw to it that he couldn't escape from her.  He wasn't allowed to get his drivers license unless he bought his own car (which he couldn't do as an underage person) and supplied his own insurance - he got a bicycle, and a bus pass for when it was cold/raining/snowing.  That made it so he couldn't get too far away.  By the time he was in 11th grade, he was going to school and tech full time, and working 2 jobs.  He handed most of his checks to her, and he covered most of the household bills by that time.  He had to give up sports, which he was good at, so that they could have electricity in the house.  She told him he had to pay for cable since he watched most of the TV (which was a lie) and he had a small window air conditioner that he bought himself because his room was on the 3rd floor of a stuffy row home, so because he was using so much electricity, he paid that bill too.  If he needed a ride from them, he put gas in the car.  So he really had no money left to use to take off anywhere.  When he did have some extra money, he'd put things on lay-away, and bought himself a cheap K-Mart stereo, and a Nintendo.  She freaked out, screaming about him wasting money while there was a dress she would love to have at the mall and she could have bought 2 of them.  She kept on him so much about it he went down to the mall and bought the damn ugly dress.  When he was done with school, he tried to go in to the military, but he got rejected when he couldn't pee in a cup on command.  He ended up in a screaming match with the drill sergeant when the drill sergeant insulted his manhood.  He ended up going to another state to a more intensive tech school.  When he got his grant and loan money, they were put in to a bank account for auto withdraw - the was years before phone or internet banking.  They recommended he have a co-signer on the account, and he chose his mom.  Big mistake.  Six months in to school (where he also worked 2 jobs while attending), his step-dad lost his job and she took the money out of his account.  He got kicked out of school because he couldn't pay.  The only way to get his money back was to report her to the cops.  He declined, because he knew what would happen not only from his mom, but how she'd spin it to the family.  He re-paid that money she stole to the student loan companies.  Her response was that he should have sued the school for false intentions, since he never received his full schooling (HUH????).  She said it was my husband's fault because they needed him to contribute to the household and he left.  She was sure he'd come back home.  He never did.  And until she died, she hated me because I "took him away", and tried to manipulate him constantly.  Everything was his fault, or mine.  Even in his 30's, she was still trying to drag him back.  It was unrelenting and never-ending.  And he had it just 1/10th as bad as Gypsy did, so I have some sympathy for her.

Edited by funky-rat. Reason: Continuity

Share Post

6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

What I found telling is on the documentary, is they interviewed DeeDee's father.  He said they called him to come claim her ashes after she was cremated.  He didn't want them.  When they asked him what they should do with them, he said to flush them down the toilet.

...wow.

Damn. 

I remember first seeing the story about Gypsy on a "20/20" episode, but I did catch the documentary last night. The level of lies and manipulation and deception is truly unreal, and while @funky-rat gives a very good, valid explanation for why and how so many doctors overlooked this stuff, or didn't follow up on suspicions, or whatever...it's still very disturbing to me that so many doctors were either that easily fooled and misled or did nothing. 

(On that note, @funky-rat, my heart goes out to your husband for all the hell he went through. Your post perfectly illustrates the toll this kind of abuse can take on a kid, and gives me an even better insight into what Gypsy struggled with, and continues to struggle with. I do have sympathy for her, and I hope she is getting as much legitimate help and support as she possibly can, because it's clear she needs it. I can't begin to imagine what the future will hold for her, but I hope something good can come from all of this.)

Share Post

13 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Very tall, and the best kisser. Yes, i briefly dated my Solar Dude.  I had to remind him of his religion, because he kept stopping by to check out my hot tub.

His brother was a full-fledged preacher of the worst kind.  Think 1980's frizzy permed hair and a Jane Fonda unitard, only tackier.  On my TeeVee breaking chains for Jesus.  Lunatic did something weird with hot water bottles, too. Had his idiot brother convinced there was a cabal of lesbos in Georgia getting impregnated just so they could abort babies. It was an extreme exercise in restraint to neither fuck him or kill him.

That's crazy!

Share Post

On 11/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, Kiki620 said:

Was that control freak Mother ever investigated? 

I would definitely include her on a list of suspects.   I think she was/is was tightly wound she could of easily lost it and killed her in a fit of rage. The husband looked scared, meek and presents himself as someone who probably does not move a muscle without permission.

I could easily see that happening as Phoenix was not and did not want to be a perfect little bell ringer.

At any rate it was 100% someone she knew.

Share Post

On 11/7/2018 at 4:45 AM, BusyOctober said:

Did anyone see "Gypsy's Revenge" on ID 11.6.18?  Wow...what a freak show from start to finish!  I think the Gypsy was a victim, but I also think she was  actively contributing to her mother's grifting ways as she got older.  Both the mom & the daughter were "Street smart" in the ways of conning the people around them.  Even though they both looked mentally challenged, they were acting IMO.  Gypsy was in FULL control of the murder plot.  She duped the "BF" just like her Mommy Dearest duped their friends & family.  Gypsy took advantage of Nick's autism and ran the scheme.  She was savvy enough to a) setup fake FB accounts, sneak onto mom's computer & phone; b) not leave the murder weapon behind; c) mail the knife vs. carrying it with them in case of metal detectors; d) take the money envelope from her dead mom's drawer.  Her mom may have created the monster, but Gypsy is guilty of murder.

I feel bad the poor girl was tortured physically & psychologically, but I think Gypsy knew all the fun & games & attention & money would stop if she stopped pretending she was disabled. BTW- HOW in the Hell do doctors just perform surgical procedures on a creepy mother's insistence it be done "because"?   How does a doctor agree to feeding tubes without investigating first?  I had severe abdominal pain for a few weeks and went to see 2 different doctors.  I suggested it could be gall stones since my sister had the same kind of pain the year before & that was the issue in her case.  Neither doctor thought an ultra sound or scan was needed. I was told by both doctors that I should try over the counter meds to alleviate pain because "no doctor wants to perform unnecessary or costly procedures".  Two weeks after the last doctor appointment I ended up in the ER, unable to walk and in so much pain.  I had over 40 gall stones and was septic.  The ER doc said if I waited another few hours I could have died.  

And oh my God, those voices!  Both the mom & Gypsy had the most annoying high pitched baby voices!  I feel bad for any dogs living in their neighborhood.  That feeble voice was just accentuated to add to the "poor little sick waif" persona they were cultivating. 

So many things to wonder about in this case, but it's clear Dee Dee was a master of manipulation and knew just how to pull the strings.  

After the HBO documentary, I felt only pity and sorrow for Gypsy, and I still do, but mixed now with a feeling she really was the driving force and brains behind her mother's death.  What pushed me over to that was when she said that Nick "ordered" her to do various things during and after the attack.  He just did not have the force of personality for that to be credible to me.  If anyone was issuing orders, it's pretty clear it was Gypsy and she's trying to mitigate her responsibility for what he did.  

It doesn't change the horror of what her demented monster of a mother put her through, but it does make her more culpable than I thought after Mommy Dead and Dearest, and she's obviously more intelligent and capable of planning than she ever showed before prison.  I'm glad she's getting care and socialization in prison (who would ever think of that being possible??), and I hope she can have a somewhat normal life after she is released, but I think she will need massive and consistent care and guidance for that to happen.  On her own, I think she would just connect with grifters like her mother and continue down that path.  

Share Post

The show on Gypsy was fascinating.  I had not been familiar with the case before, so all I knew was what I was seeing.  What confused the crap out of me was when they showed that video of her in the snow, jumping off the porch railing into the snow, after having made clear that she needed to be in a wheelchair and had muscular dystrophy.  That's when I started to get suspicious, and my suspicions increased when they also said she had cerebral palsy.  How could any doctor worth his/her salt, not question that?  What doctor could make those terribly inaccurate diagnoses in the first place?  

Share Post

8 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

So many things to wonder about in this case, but it's clear Dee Dee was a master of manipulation and knew just how to pull the strings.  

After the HBO documentary, I felt only pity and sorrow for Gypsy, and I still do, but mixed now with a feeling she really was the driving force and brains behind her mother's death.  What pushed me over to that was when she said that Nick "ordered" her to do various things during and after the attack.  He just did not have the force of personality for that to be credible to me.  If anyone was issuing orders, it's pretty clear it was Gypsy and she's trying to mitigate her responsibility for what he did.  

It doesn't change the horror of what her demented monster of a mother put her through, but it does make her more culpable than I thought after Mommy Dead and Dearest, and she's obviously more intelligent and capable of planning than she ever showed before prison.  I'm glad she's getting care and socialization in prison (who would ever think of that being possible??), and I hope she can have a somewhat normal life after she is released, but I think she will need massive and consistent care and guidance for that to happen.  On her own, I think she would just connect with grifters like her mother and continue down that path.  

That's what pinged my hinky meter, too, Calamity Jane. That and the act she put on when she was first talking to the detective in the interrogation room, not knowing he knew the full story. She definitely deserves sympathy and consideration for the ordeal she went through, but many people have had horrible childhoods and not resorted to murder.

Share Post

I agree that the doctors who harmed Gypsy should be investigated.  Regardless, of what the lying mother said, they should have been able to spot what was happening or at the very least, refused to treat Gypsy for nonexistent ailments.  It's incomprehensible really.  I'm a knowledgeable adult, who must use substantial skills in convincing a doctor to prescribe a proper cough medication for me!  So, this lady convinces MULTIPLE doctors to perform unnecessary procedures on a healthy child!  I call BS.  Some of those medical providers should pay.  I wonder if Gypsy has consulted with an attorney about recovery. I wonder if it's too late. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe.

Share Post

12 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

The show on Gypsy was fascinating.  I had not been familiar with the case before, so all I knew was what I was seeing.  What confused the crap out of me was when they showed that video of her in the snow, jumping off the porch railing into the snow, after having made clear that she needed to be in a wheelchair and had muscular dystrophy.  That's when I started to get suspicious, and my suspicions increased when they also said she had cerebral palsy.  How could any doctor worth his/her salt, not question that?  What doctor could make those terribly inaccurate diagnoses in the first place?  

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree that the doctors who harmed Gypsy should be investigated.  Regardless, of what the lying mother said, they should have been able to spot what was happening or at the very least, refused to treat Gypsy for nonexistent ailments.  It's incomprehensible really.  I'm a knowledgeable adult, who must use substantial skills in convincing a doctor to prescribe a proper cough medication for me!  So, this lady convinces MULTIPLE doctors to perform unnecessary procedures on a healthy child!  I call BS.  Some of those medical providers should pay.  I wonder if Gypsy has consulted with an attorney about recovery. I wonder if it's too late. 

Doctors and medical records are easy to flub with, at least for a while.  You go to many, don't tell the other ones that you're seeing multiple doctors, etc.  It's how pill seekers get away with it for a bit (although it's getting gradually harder).  Gypsy's dad himself said that every few years, DeeDee would move.  It's likely because they caught on to her, and she bailed, or they told her to take a hike.  It's also likely why she kept changing her name (Clauddine, Claudine, DeeDee, Blanchard, Blancharde, etc).  Once Katrina hit, she kicked it in to high gear, because now she had a sob story that few would question.  And sometimes, medical ailments are idiopathic in nature.  Had DeeDee not been offed,  I think someone would have caught up to her soon.  As well-connected as things are already and are getting, she wouldn't be able to maintain forever.  Then she would have needed a new grift and a new identity, because she would have been exposed, and in today's society, they would have made her and her lies "go viral".

As for Nick "ordering" her to do stuff, I'm not sure if I really buy it either.  He does claim to be schizophrenic and hear voices, but when they ask if a doctor has diagnosed him as such, he says no, but "they probably should" (his mom says he was diagnosed as Autistic).  I do believe he told her to stay in the bathroom, etc, and I could possibly buy that in the state of mind he was in, he could have had some personality changes, but I don't think to the degree Gypsy claimed.  As for mailing the knife, to me that's not being savvy, it's being stupid and unprepared.  It should have been cleaned, wiped, and destroyed/disposed of (I watch too many true crime shows - I am NOT condoning what happened).  The postal service could have intercepted it at any time.

And as for Nick's prior arrest for his 9 hour marathon of ickyness at McDonald's...…..EW! 

Share Post

I don't give the doctors a pass. They certainly could  have seen marks, scars, etc on her body from previous procedures .

There were so many who let Gypsy down.  She likely was on Medicaid and that would require medical documentation, plus, she would have had a case worker.  Plus, there are hospital social workers, family friends, neighbors, family members, church representatives, charity organizations, doctors, nurses, insurance claim reps, pharmacists,, and others who saw what was happening and chose to ignore it.  That situation was over the top and not just a little wacky, imo.  To me, when a child's welfare is involved, we ALL have a duty to look into things, investigate, document, pursue and demand that things be done properly.  With Gypsy, she was let down in colossal fashion by a wall of people and agencies. With all we have learned from other horrific cases, we should have a healthy dose of skepticism whenever a child is put out there, like Gypsy was. 

Share Post