Chit-Chat

Andy Richter tweet: I would say the hardest thing about being a parent is these god damned kids.

hee!  

Share Post

I have been away for so long that when I am back the forum gets a new face & logo :D

Share Post

Currently lounging in a hospital gown waiting to get prepped for surgery to repair a hernia that has become a real literal pain since I started this gym shit. First ever surgery. Not particularly nervous, and looking forward to being healed. 

Not overly excited about the next week of recovery time however. 

Share Post

@Maharincess  Has L gotten any work done this week or is he lounging around in the recliner? I love when people get new things that make them happy.  My oldest son and his sweet little family have just moved into the house we built for them and I am having to fight my rearrange the furniture tendencies. My son even commented that he can see my brain moving stuff while I am holding the newborn granddaughter. hahaha 

Share Post

JTMacc99, tell them you know me.

Seriously, those doctors and nurses will know better than to mess with you (and me).

Share Post

Good luck, @JTMacc99 -- hope you get good drugs! Best I ever had was the anti-nausea cocktail that allowed me to eat steak, potatoes, and chocolate cake the evening after surgery.

Share Post

Update:

1) Not dead

2) Repairs seem to have been successful 

3) it was in the lower abdomen, but the incisions were from a little higher up. Looks like no sit ups for a while. (Not that I wanted to do them anyway. )

4) Generally speaking: Ow. 

Share Post

Last time I was in the hospital, I learned a trick to avoid tasteless hospital meals:  ask for a meatless menu & you might be able to choose Indian dishes (which you may or may not like, but at least they're never bland).  Wishing you strong painkillers & flavorful food, JTMacc99 -- & a speedy recovery too.

Share Post

27 minutes ago, 3pwood said:

Wishing you strong painkillers & flavorful food, JTMacc99 -- & a speedy recovery too.

Thank you! Home now, so other than a buttered roll, didn't eat there. Had salad and pizza for dinner. 

Share Post

Wishing you a speedy, minimally painful recovery, @JTMacc99

2 hours ago, 3pwood said:

Last time I was in the hospital, I learned a trick to avoid tasteless hospital meals:  ask for a meatless menu & you might be able to choose Indian dishes (which you may or may not like, but at least they're never bland).  Wishing you strong painkillers & flavorful food, JTMacc99 -- & a speedy recovery too.

I was recently in the hospital for a few days, and I gained ten pounds on the hospital food -- it was surprisingly good. In addition to meals, every day volunteers walked around handing out fresh-baked muffins, brownies, and cookies (to those with no dietary restrictions). Despite the whole surgery/pain/calling someone to unhook me so I could go to the bathroom, it was almost an enjoyable experience. Kudos to nurses and other medical workers, who are often incredibly underappreciated. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Update:

1) Not dead

2) Repairs seem to have been successful 

3) it was in the lower abdomen, but the incisions were from a little higher up. Looks like no sit ups for a while. (Not that I wanted to do them anyway. )

4) Generally speaking: Ow. 

#1 is the best part.

The rest are okay too!  Glad things went well.  Take it easy for as long as you need to.

Share Post

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

1) Not dead

Excellent.

My surgeries have all been outpatient, too, so the only time I've dealt with hospital food is as a visitor.  When my mom was in the hospital after her second knee surgery, one time when I was there she hadn't finished her food (a cheeseburger) and I was really hungry.  I knew it would be overcooked, and I generally cannot abide overcooked meat, but I was really hungry.  I took off the bun she'd put mustard on (I hate mustard) and just kept the mayonnaise one, and figured the burger would be decent enough since I hadn't eaten all day, but, holy crap, that was an awful burger; I ate one bite.  In that instance, at least, all the hospital food jokes were true.

Share Post

Yay! for "not dead" -- get lots of rest!

I've eaten in several hospitals, since my sister has had a couple dozen stays in the past 40-some-odd years. I remember good food at Methodist Hospital in Houston, but the best has to be the biscuits and gravy at the Heart Hospital here. Yep, the heart hospital serves flaky biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast in the cafeteria. I don't know if they serve it to their cardiac patients. Maybe that's how they drum up business.

Share Post

Our hospital's food is good enough that people who don't work there go there for lunch.

Share Post

6 hours ago, forumfish said:

Yay! for "not dead" -- get lots of rest!

I have ants in my pants as a rule, so sitting around doesn't appeal to me. The mental part will be worse that the physical if I can't get moving today. 

Share Post

Additional advice. Be careful watching a show that could make you belly laugh if your belly hurts. 

Specifically I watched some Silicon Valley and that show tends to drop Great jokes out of the blue on me. Heh. Also, oof. 

Share Post

So, coming in to work today I got stuck behind a woman who ran out of gas. TEN FEET FROM THE GAS STATION. Who does that? Most modern cars have alarms for low fuel, that car must have been beeping at her like crazy. "Hey! Hey! We're running on fumes, you imbecile! DING! DING! DING!"  And she just gets out with her little red can like it's another day in paradise. Does this happen to her a lot? 

One of the first things my grandfather taught me is that anything can go wrong with your car at any time; tires go flat, batteries die, belts and hoses can crack or break, but you have to be pretty stupid to run out of gas. 

Share Post

It feels like this should go in the Online forum but there's no topic that seems right, and this isn't TV Hardware, either.

Does anyone use a mobile hotspot, like a Jetpack or AT&T Explore (that might not be the exact name)? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between one of those and the hotspot function on a cell phone. And I'm struggling to find concrete information on data plans. What I'd like is to be able to use a hotspot of some kind to replace my $93 Comcast internet (I've ruled out Frontier because of more horror stories specifically involving the local service) but have no idea if that's feasible when I use a Roku to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime.

My new AT&T phone will arrive Monday and I don't even know if mobile hotspot is an option. Basically, I just despise Comcast and how much it costs.

Share Post

8 hours ago, ennui said:

So, coming in to work today I got stuck behind a woman who ran out of gas. TEN FEET FROM THE GAS STATION. Who does that? Most modern cars have alarms for low fuel, that car must have been beeping at her like crazy. "Hey! Hey! We're running on fumes, you imbecile! DING! DING! DING!"  And she just gets out with her little red can like it's another day in paradise. Does this happen to her a lot? 

One of the first things my grandfather taught me is that anything can go wrong with your car at any time; tires go flat, batteries die, belts and hoses can crack or break, but you have to be pretty stupid to run out of gas. 

My car is a 13-year-old Honda Civic. It is the most basic model they made/make. I have a light that comes on when the gas is low, but it serves the same purpose as the gas gauge. That's it, though--no digital display telling me how many more miles I have/miles to the gallon, no alarms, etc.

I ran out of gas once because it's hard to tell how much I have left. My car holds 13 gallons and I'll be unable to stop for gas until I'm sure I'm going to run out, and then I stop and I can fill only just over 11 gallons. It makes no sense. I always try to stop as soon as I can, obviously, but the one time, I thought I had enough gas left. I got to my destination and when I tried to leave, my car wouldn't start.

Share Post

Living in earthquake country, I learned to fill up when the gauge is at the halfway mark.  If the electricity goes out for a day or more & none of the local fuel pumps work, you'll be glad your car has at least half a tank of gas.

Share Post

10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My car holds 13 gallons and I'll be unable to stop for gas until I'm sure I'm going to run out, and then I stop and I can fill only just over 11 gallons.

Yeah, mine is a 17-gallon tank, and the light first comes on when there are two gallons left.  But I've gotten gas many times after the light has been on for quite a while (reached the come on and stay on point) and the gauge has dropped just below the E, and always had it come out to just under 15 gallons in those situations.  So, two gallons of usable fuel left when the light comes on -- there are never really 17 gallons available to keep the car going.

Share Post

10 minutes ago, 3pwood said:

Living in earthquake country, I learned to fill up when the gauge is at the halfway mark.  If the electricity goes out for a day or more & none of the local fuel pumps work, you'll be glad your car has at least half a tank of gas.

We have to do things just a tiny bit different here in earthquake country don't we? 

@JTMacc99, I hope you're feeling better. 

Sometimes something happens that makes me think that maybe people don't suck so much after all. My granddaughter's 9th ( @walnutqueen can you believe that? 9 already!!!) birthday is Tuesday. Instead of a party she wanted to go to Santa Cruz. My daughter and son in law took the kids there today. After rides and the beach they went to the midway. My granddaughter was playing a game and would come so close to winning but would lose every time. My daughter whispered to the guy running the game and asked if she could just pay for it and pretend she won because its her birthday. He let her win and wouldn't take any money. They went to the next game and the guy there let her win, so did the next guy and the next, they all called her "birthday girl".  She ended up "winning" 9 prizes. At the last game they had a brownie for her. One of the women game runners told my daughter thatt he first guy had texted all of the others and said "there's an incredibly sweet little girl here, its her bday let her win". My daughter sent me pictures of her holding her prizes and she looks so happy that it brought tears to my eyes. Her entire face was lit up like a Xmas tree.  

I admit I'm extremely biased but she is a very, very sweet kid. She has won the kindness award at school every year she's been there. Every report card says how much she helps the other students and all of the kids love her.  

I'm sorry, I know I promised no more grandkid stories but I had to share how kind these people were today. 

I hope you're all staying cool. we've had triple digit temps all week and my house doesn't have air conditioning. 

Share Post

My car is an '02 Hyundai and the gas gauge is broken.  I do my best to fill up every other day to ensure that I don't run out since I can't see if I'm on empty or not. There has been a few times where I've gone longer than I should to fill up and have run out of gas.  I wish I had an alarm or some other way to indicate if my gas is low.  To get it repaired is $300-400 I don't have right now, after I replaced all 4 tires and the starter.

@Maharincess that is such a sweet story!

Share Post

18 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

We have to do things just a tiny bit different here in earthquake country don't we? 

Sometimes something happens that makes me think that maybe people don't suck so much after all. My granddaughter's 9th ( @walnutqueen can you believe that? 9 already!!!) birthday is Tuesday. Instead of a party she wanted to go to Santa Cruz. My daughter and son in law took the kids there today. After rides and the beach they went to the midway. My granddaughter was playing a game and would come so close to winning but would lose every time. My daughter whispered to the guy running the game and asked if she could just pay for it and pretend she won because its her birthday. He let her win and wouldn't take any money. They went to the next game and the guy there let her win, so did the next guy and the next, they all called her "birthday girl".  She ended up "winning" 9 prizes. At the last game they had a brownie for her. One of the women game runners told my daughter thatt he first guy had texted all of the others and said "there's an incredibly sweet little girl here, its her bday let her win". My daughter sent me pictures of her holding her prizes and she looks so happy that it brought tears to my eyes. Her entire face was lit up like a Xmas tree.  

I admit I'm extremely biased but she is a very, very sweet kid. She has won the kindness award at school every year she's been there. Every report card says how much she helps the other students and all of the kids love her.  

I'm sorry, I know I promised no more grandkid stories but I had to share how kind these people were today. 

I hope you're all staying cool. we've had triple digit temps all week and my house doesn't have air conditioning. 

Holy shit, Maharincess - I cannot believe she's 9.  I swear she was a toddler just the other day!  ;-)  I guess that would indicate we are both ageing, too?!?  

And how cool is it that we've known a few people for SO many years, just by interacting with them on TWoP and now PTV.  It gives me a comforting sense of continuity, and, dare I say, "belonging".

ETA: @JTMacc99 - no more Silicon Valley for you until you are healed!!!  That show should come with a warning for people with stomach staples.  "Gutbusting may ensue".  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen.

Share Post

@Maharincess, that made me teary. My niece (the BMX racer) turned nine in December. It's a great year. I never want elementary school to end for her (she'll be in fourth grade in August) nor for puberty to start!

Share Post

Empty tank game! It's a thing. My car tell me how many miles I have left. It's the best thing ever! I do wish it still had a regular guage. 

I'm looking for a place to donate my work clothes to. Dress for Success is too far and has such limited hours but I don't want to give to Goodwill or my standard go to places. Any suggestions (especially you CA people).

Share Post

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

@Maharincess, that made me teary. My niece (the BMX racer) turned nine in December. It's a great year. I never want elementary school to end for her (she'll be in fourth grade in August) nor for puberty to start!

It is a great year.  She's getting so grown up so fast. I love that your niece does BMX.  Its hard to tear my girl away from her books long enough to see if she'd like something like that.  She's allowed 30 minutes of computer time after dinner if her homework is done. Most of the time she passes up her computer time to read a book. 

Sorry!!!  No more grandkid stories!  

Edited by Maharincess.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I hope you're feeling better

I'm moving around pretty well and was thinking this isn't so bad after just two days. 

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

no more Silicon Valley for you until you are healed!!

I even caught up entirely on this show without reinjuring myself. (So funny that show.)

And then five minutes ago I coughed. Holy hell, that sucked. 

So summary is, feeling better but not all the way yet. Thank you everyone for your well wishes. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Empty tank game! It's a thing. My car tell me how many miles I have left. It's the best thing ever! I do wish it still had a regular gauge. 

Mine has a light, but even then, I have no way of knowing how much further I can drive after the light comes on. I've been guesstimating about 20-25 miles. Before low fuel indicators, it seemed to vary between makes of cars how far below the "E" you could go without running out of gas. I had one car that didn't even get down to the "E" before it was out.

Share Post

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Empty tank game! It's a thing. My car tell me how many miles I have left. It's the best thing ever! I do wish it still had a regular guage.

My last car had a standard gauge and a low level light, but I got very good at estimating how far I could go before I needed gas, although I never pushed it too far - I don't think I ever got within 2 gallons of empty.  In my current ride, I have a gauge, a "Distance to Empty" readout, and a low level screen that pops up on the instrument panel message center, accompanied by a ding.  It's a 24.6 gallon tank, and the most I've put in is 23.1 - I've put 22.8 or more into it a dozen times.

Share Post

7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm looking for a place to donate my work clothes to. Dress for Success is too far and has such limited hours but I don't want to give to Goodwill or my standard go to places. Any suggestions (especially you CA people).

Check with your local women's shelters and foster care agencies.  Often the women don't have interview or work appropriate clothes.  Same for kids aging out of foster care.

Share Post

9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Does your area have the service that if you dial 211 you can find out about charities, nonprofits and other ways to get assistance? If so, maybe call and ask where a nearby clothes closet or battered women's shelter is. I used to volunteer at a local nonprofit and most of my neighbors thought they had only a food pantry until I told them that they have a huge clothes closet for adults and children. Or call a local church and I bet they would have ideas. Best of luck with your move! 

Edited by Spunkygal.

Share Post

I generally hate kids but that's a lovely story, Maharincess.  Is it dusty in here?

I write down the last three digits of my odometer after a fill up.  Three hundred miles later, it's time for another.  Except for that time I got stuck in traffic in a tunnel. for two hours  I didn't run out of gas but boy, I was sweating it.

ETA:  I don't care that they're not fashionable or even flattering but I really love my cargo shorts today.  There is nothing like having two roomy pockets sealed with Velcro right at my fingertips!

Edited by Qoass.

Share Post

@Maharincess - That's a great story.  

My old car had a gauge for gas that would come on when I had approximately 20 miles of driving before I ran out.  If it got really, really close the gauge would start flashing which only happened once, and I was in line for gas at Wawa when it did.  Luckily, I made it.  The gas gauge in that car was a bit wonky - it would say I had half a tank left and then drop like a stone. Or sometimes I'd fill up and it would go down to empty.  I got in the habit of setting a new trip every time I got gas, but obviously sometimes I cut it a bit close.  My new car has a 13 gallon tank, and when the light comes on, I can only put it around 10 gallons.   I find it annoying that I'm getting gas just as often in this car as my old one, with the same size tank and better gas mileage.

Share Post

theredhead77, try your closest high school.  Young women graduating and going into the workforce instead of going onto college need work clothes. 

Share Post

If you have a career and technical school near you, it may have what used to be called a single parent/displaced homemaker program, associated with TANF. If so, those students might need work clothes.

Share Post

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm gathering up all my work clothes that don't currently fit (which means they won't fit in 10 weeks) to donate. I'll buy new stuff when I lose weight.

Share Post

You know that li'l ole lady from Pasadena?

Well, I'm giving her a run for the money with my latest vehicle.  Bought a 2005 Saturn Vue in Jan'06 with 19,000 miles on the odom.  Drove to & from work every day until 08/08/08 (yes, a retirement with PURPOSE!).  As of today, the odom is a whopping 34,232 (why yes, I doubted myself & double checked).  EVERYTHING is within a mile of my house.  Unfortunately, it's all uphill or downhill, with ZERO bus service (and I'm not ready to Uber to my local CircleK at 3 in the a.m. for ciggies just yet).  Long story even longer - my low fuel indicator light can be on for days, or even weeks (months???), and because my driving is as scarce as my short term memory, I tempt the fates with the gasoline issue quite often, and have never run out.  

Hey, it's a short walk home, and I'm pretty sure some kind neighbor would see me trying to hump a big ole bag of catfood on my back & come to my rescue, should my years of living dangerously ever catch up with me.  :-)

Share Post

My 2004 Civic has less than 90K miles on it. I go nowhere but to work and running errands. :: sighs ::

Share Post

On 6/23/2017 at 0:10 AM, theredhead77 said:

Where in California? Here's a list for Oakland: donateoakland.org

Palm Springs: http://www.bfcloset.org/Where-to-bring-clothes

San Rafael & Corte Madera: http://www.bloommarin.org/donate-clothing

Santa Ana & Costa Mesa: http://whw.org/job-seekers/professional-apparel/

Walnut Creek: https://www.wardrobe.org/getInvolved/dropoffLocations.aspx

Share Post

54 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My 2004 Civic has less than 90K miles on it. I go nowhere but to work and running errands. :: sighs ::

You need to get out more, Kiddo!

I tend to keep cars for years and drive them forever - my first car, a 1969 Plymouth my Dad bought new, had 150K miles on it when I graduated college and went into the Air Force.  The wife and I put over 200K on a 1990 Volvo.  My last car, a 2004 Dodge Stratus coupe finished service with 210K miles in just under 10 years.  My current ride is a 2014 Dodge Durango - I brought it home brand new on May 1 three years ago, with under 25 miles, it was off the truck that day.  I have 93K miles on it now, I've driven it from NC to Arizona, back to Long Island a dozen times, and I don't hesitate to drive 2+ hours to the mountains on a given Saturday - I'm actually going up to the mountains this evening to try to shoot the stars.  And it's survived a deer strike!

Share Post

Bilgisticat's health keeps me from taking even overnight trips, but I take day trips within a couple hours' drive to family and such.

My first car was my cousin's 1977 VW Beetle I bought for $750. I loved that car, even though it was seriously lacking in, well, everything, like floorboards. I rolled it wrecking, and that was the end of that.

My second car was a 1982 Mazda GLC ("Great Little Car") that I bought at 17 for $1400. I put 75K more miles on it; it had 100K on it when I bought it. I drove it through college and a year or two after. The last time I drove it, I literally rolled it down the hill into my parking space in front of my then-apartment. It had no more go left.

I drive cars until they can't drive anymore. My current car is only my fourth in 27 years.

I dread ever having to replace this car. Cars aren't cars anymore; they're computers. :: shakes cane :: I'd love to have an old Ford pickup like my late grandfather's, but that's completely illogical for my lifestyle. Maybe when I have my animal rescue ranch after I win the lottery...

Edited by bilgistic.

Share Post

Add me to the group that drives cars until they die. My old car, affectionately referred to as the shitbox, was 15 years old with 150,000 miles on when it died in October 2015.  It was my first car, and I was very sad to part with it, but it had an oil leak and dumped a bunch of oil without giving me a warning light to alert me.  It did get fixed after that, but was still leaking oil and not running right (though by rights an engine with no oil should've been completely borked so I can't really complain) so I traded it in for 300 bucks and bought a brand new car that only had 17 miles on it.  At the time of its demise, the shitbox did not have a working driver's side window, and the muffler was held in place by chicken wire, but I loved that car.  RIP shitbox.

@bilgistic - I was totally against a new car for the same reason. I want a car, not a computer. I only bought new because I don't want to have to buy another car for another 15 years.  I have to admit I love the "technology bullshit" as my father calls it, that it has in it.  I love the back up camera and never needing to take out my keys.  My sister has a 2004 Civic that is still going strong too.  

Share Post

I have a 2010 Subaru Outback with 38,000 miles on it. I bought it with 6,000 miles on it in 2010; it was used by the dealership's owner for a summer. It will be replaced only when 1) I have enough saved to buy a new Outback and 2) the cost to repair is more than it's worth.  Previous car was a 1998 Subaru Outback with only 65,000 miles but it had some major repair needed and it was more to fix than the Blue Book value (plus we got 0% interest on the new one). 

Share Post

I drove my GMC Jimmy 4X4 for 16 years. The check engine light kept on going on and it started leaking oil. Time to change. It had 78,000 miles. My job was only 3 miles away.

I'm another one who drives a car forever. I just can't see changing every couple of years and the constant car payments.

Share Post

Add me to the 'keep a car as long as possible' club.  I did drive a used car as my first car to go to and from college (an old beige Vega) and bought a Datsun new when I had a 'real' job and was making a little money.  When it wasn't worth spending the money to fix I bought a new Saturn sedan.  I have no idea how many miles I had on it because the odometer broke at some point.  I only traded it in when it started to have problems here and there and I knew they would lead to bigger ones.  One problem that I do have to laugh at was that the horn quit working.  I'm sure I've told this story somewhere on one of these forums before, but here goes again--  My dad rigged up an old doorbell to the horn wiring and fastened it to the lower dashboard so that when I needed to blow the horn I pushed the doorbell and the horn would sound.  It worked great for a while until the wiring started to come loose and the horn would blow every time I hit a pothole.  It made for fun driving for a while, though.  The car I have now is a Saturn Vue (I got one a year or so before they stopped making them).  I have almost 109,000 miles on it and hope to get many more.  It does need some work now, though (brakes, I think).  I just have to find time to take off from work to take it in.  

Share Post

ooooo...car talk!  I also drive my cars into the ground.  Got a 1970 Dodge Dart in '75 with 50K miles on it.  I wanted a white Ford Maverick, but my dad said no.  The Dart was brown with a black top.  I hated it for about a year and then I fell in love with it and named it Velma.  Drove it for 10 years and 100K miles.  That car was a tank. I hated to give it up, but it needed a new engine.  So I got a new '85 Honda Civic hatchback that I named Zach and drove for 10 years and 100K miles.  Next was a green '95 Accord names Big Jule.  Only drove that car for 6 years, but put about 80K miles on it and then got really bored with it.  So I bought a blue 2001 Accord that I didn't name.  I loved that car.  Drove it for 12 years and 189K miles, but the repair bills got to be too much.  So I got a '13 maroon Accord named Miss Adelaide that I will drive until I die.  

Yes, I name my cars after characters in musicals.

Share Post

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, Maharincess said:

So cool!  Sounds like she had a very happy birthday!

Share Post