Small Talk: The Squad Room

So in the last episode we are introduced to Rusty.  He certainly has matured since then (well, except for the hair). 

I think his character has been extremely well written and extremely well portrayed by the actor.  Of course, I think that is true of all the characters!

Edited by treeofdreams.

Share Post

Cool!

It seems to showing only on some local stations - I wonder how many of us will be able to watch...

I look forward to seeing how everyone develops all over again.  I noticed in episode 1 that Tao had a mustache.  As far as I remember, the characters have been very consistent over all the seasons of both shows.

Share Post

What do you think Sharon told Andy?

To protect Rusty undercover? To clear up their relationship? To work on something?

(I really like the idea of a Flynn/Raydor relationship, because in most TV shows older people

rarely get to fall in love, date, etc, etc., plus there are the ehtical complications to navigate.)

Share Post

Who is your favorite character on Major Crimes?

I love Tao best, although I don't think I can explain why.  And Sharon, really impressed with her character.

Share Post

Provenza... I love a curmudgeon who tries to keep his soft spot hidden

Oh wait.. that sorta didn't come out quite right!

Share Post

Hmmm... I can never choose between Sharon, Rusty, Buzz, or Morales... But every character on the show is really interesting to me! On The Closer, I liked Sergeant Detective Gabriel the most. Or maybe Brenda.

Share Post

Has there been a change in writers recently?  I always thought both The Closer and Major Crimes were so well written, and then along came that disaster of an episode of Stroh's escape that had so many things wrong with it, and now we have an episode where the case of the week keeps getting interrupted by switches over to Petulant Rusty, and there is also that Sharon/Flynn relationship thing. 

Is it just me or does the writing just seem to be different than it used to be? 

Share Post

The show runner has been taking increasing interest in his own political/social story from being a gay man and using Rusty as a surrogate to tell it

Share Post

Anyone know what date this starts in November??

I still have Nov. 23 on my spreadsheet. Seriously.

Share Post

Has there been a change in writers recently?  I always thought both The Closer and Major Crimes were so well written, and then along came that disaster of an episode of Stroh's escape that had so many things wrong with it, and now we have an episode where the case of the week keeps getting interrupted by switches over to Petulant Rusty, and there is also that Sharon/Flynn relationship thing. 

Is it just me or does the writing just seem to be different than it used to be? 

I do think the writing is different but the only aspect I can agree with is the relationship thing. I could never believe the staying married but separated as being anything but Sharon not believing in divorce. And it struck me as a retcon to say it was convenient, which I don't think was the case. This was the character who said to Brenda's face that sleeping your way to the top is a time-honored way for women to advance! But as the years go on, the star gets more and more say, so I think it's Mary McDonnell calling the shots on this. Yes it rewrites the character but what are they going to do: Close up shop or not renew her contract?

Also, I don't think what's on screen justifies Petulant Rusty at all.

The show runner has been taking increasing interest in his own political/social story from being a gay man and using Rusty as a surrogate to tell it

I think that it's the opposite. Now that Rusty's gay sex is legal, they are shying away from Sharon/Rusty stories. The whole Alice story line wasn't a story line I think, because the payoff is supposed to show us how Sharon feels. We don't see it because Sharon is a strong, tough hero cop like all the others, so we just have Rusty standing in. Rusty no longer has a story line of his own. (I admit to a hankering to seeing how the gang copes with biomom going to the tabloids, which I think would be interested in serial killer stories...and Rusty's life intersects two.) 

I think if anyone is being jammed into the series it is Fritz Howard and the SOB. And I think it was a major requirement of the Stroh story to put them into the mix. It seems to me that the series was never anti-cop, but now they're increasingly in-your-face agenda driven pro-cop. This can be coming down from the network, or driven by Mary McDonnell (stars get ever more influence on their series as time goes on, and she was on the new BattleStar Galactica,) or maybe the producers are just turning into reactionary old people. But there are signs of life, the show's not dead yet. I think. I hope.

Share Post

I think if anyone is being jammed into the series it is Fritz Howard and the SOB. And I think it was a major requirement of the Stroh story to put them into the mix. It seems to me that the series was never anti-cop, but now they're increasingly in-your-face agenda driven pro-cop. This can be coming down from the network, or driven by Mary McDonnell (stars get ever more influence on their series as time goes on, and she was on the new BattleStar Galactica,) or maybe the producers are just turning into reactionary old people. But there are signs of life, the show's not dead yet. I think. I hope.

I think that Fritz & the SOB (great band name) was a backdoor pilot/spinoff. I guess it didn't work out, since we haven't heard anything about a spinoff. The whole plot just had to much detail about the people for it to just be part of the storyline on Major Crimes.

Share Post

As was just watching a The Closer episode this weekend where Chief Pope was complaining about having to break apart the Metro Division for budget reasons only to come a couple years later not only is it a Special Operations Bureau but now we have a Commander and an Assistant Chief running it. It is reminding me of the end of In The Heat of The Night, with so much rank and no ordinary cops running around.

Share Post