Small Talk: Sharing The Bounty

52 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I enjoyed The Orville, though it's the opposite of Killjoys in every way possible. Reminds me a little of The Middleman in tone but it's pure Star Trek visually.

Was this an early watch of a Screener?

Share Post

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Was this an early watch of a Screener?

Nope. It aired on Fox last night.  Another episode airs next Sunday but then it moves to Thursday on the 21st. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, tessaray said:
8 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Nope. It aired on Fox last night.  Another episode airs next Sunday but then it moves to Thursday on the 21st. 

Thanks. I was under the impression that the premiere was on the 21st. I'll have to find the pilot ep on Fox.

Share Post

I liked The Orville more than I was expecting to. I'm not a huge Seth MacFarlane fan, but I thought it struck the right balance between action and comedy, and most of the supporting cast seemed interesting. The ex-wife/first officer needs a bit of a personality, the pilot needs to tone down the dudebroness, and they really need to flesh out the rest of the bridge crew a bit more, but for now, I'm on board.

Share Post

I'm willing it to give it a few more episodes to see if it can improve - I want to be convinced to like and stay with it because of its Star Trek vibe and 'look' - but my first impressions of The Orville pilot were not super great.

Most of the characters were very "wooden" and one note, even the best-friend-pilot & his buddy, the soda-drinker, at times.  I honestly found the young female security officer & PJJ's doctor to be the most likeable characters in this one.  I'm a guy with a perverse sense of humor, but the 'bro' and 'fratboy' humor almost constantly felt extremely exaggerated and OTT - I believe I will have to adapt to this, because I don't see it changing much in the future.  I agree, @tessaray, that its not like Killjoys at all, in this sense.  The KJ humor has a much more natural feel to it, and hardly forced at all.  I do, however, hold out hope that the constant sniping about 'her cheating/his more-faithful-to-his-career' gags will lessen more and more as the series ages, from all characters besides just the captain & X-wife (er, XO).

I also fear that most of the 'drama' will surround the repairing of the failed marriage relationship and a constant dragging feel of WT/WT.  Do or don't, all I request is that they 'shit or get off the pot'.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36.

Share Post

So I just binged Warehouse 13.   First time ever watching it.  Just like a lot of other shows, it is a crime even though it was cancelled, they weren't allowed a full season to end things - be it 10, 13, or 20 eps total.

I found a lot of similarities between certain things, relationships, & whatnot between it and Killjoys.  (and no, not just because AA was/is a big factor on both). 

With how the Pete/Myka turned out, and even though I will not focus & fantasize on it like I once did, let's just say I'm not giving up on my faint 'Dutch/Johnny=OTP' hopes until the final credits roll at the end of s5.

Share Post