Small Talk: Sharing The Bounty

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Share Post

One of the coupon inserts in Sunday's paper had an ad for "Seventh Generation" cleaning products (website here) on the front and I immediately thought of Killjoys.

Share Post

@ramble said:

Off topic moment: Crazy, mad love for Farscape! And Leverage was brought up which makes my heart flutter. If Fringe were mentioned too I might melt in a puddle of show-loving happiness. 

@marinw said:

I LOVED Fringe

In the middle of a Fringe re-watch.   I don't do it, but Fringe is one of those shows I feel like I could watch over and over and over again - the opening arc (John Scott) isn't quite the best [IMO], but the rest of the first four seasons is amazeballs.  S5 is still really good, but not quite to the level of the rest.

And while its not of the same sci-fi genre of recent talk, I am planning a Chuck re-watch after the current 'Fringe binge' is over.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36.

Share Post

I've re-watched Fringe many, many times.  I wasn't a fan of the John Scott arc either but the best thing about it is that's how Olivia and Peter met. I used to watch it with my brother, but he quit when they started alternating between the two universes. He said it was getting a little ridiculous. I loved it though. It was fascinating watching faux-Livia trying to wing it. The writers really put that couple (Peter & the real Olivia) through the ringer, but when Olivia remembered her time with Peter, it was great. That show had some truly wonderful scenes.

Share Post

I'm in the middle of a Star Trek: Original Recipe rewatch, myself, but I might move on to Fringe when I'm done. Been a while since I've seen that show.

Share Post

The thing about Fringe is I actually like most of the SAotW* episodes, despite most people saying the series didn't get (truly) good until the serialization of the series took full effect.

The worm things in Snakehead gets me every time.

* = Scientific Abomination of the Week

Share Post

Fringe was a show that I always point to when they want to know how to do increased serialization the right way. The mythology was right there from the beginning, and it became more and more prominent as the series went on, while also throwing in some good one off stories, until it finally went full on Epic in the last season. Granted, it wasn't a perfect show (the first arc with Olivia's boyfriend was pretty dry, and some stuff that went on with the constant cosmic retons were tiring), but it was super close! 

I actually got into B5 just a few years ago, after I started watching Sense8, a more recent JMS show. They're really different shows (B5 is a space opera, while Sense8 is set in contemporary Earth), but you can see his influence in both, especially when it comes to how they portray telepaths.

Share Post

6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

The thing about Fringe is I actually like most of the SAotW* episodes, despite most people saying the series didn't get (truly) good until the serialization of the series took full effect.

I'm one of those. I stopped watching mid-way through the first season and didn't watch the entire series until a few years ago. I ended up really enjoying it. I wonder why Anna Torv hasn't been in more US-based shows.

Also loved Babylon 5, FarScape*, DS9, Warehouse 13, and Eureka, among other SF shows.

* Recently got my cousin to watch. Halfway through the first season, he asked what was with the muppets and I told him to stick with it - soon he'd see Rygel and Pilot as full-fledged characters. Which, of course, he did.

Share Post

Sci-fi is my absolute favorite genre, be it with TV or movies or the written word.  If I haven't watched or read it, there's a slightly better than decent chance I've at least heard of it or seen it mentioned around the Interweb.

Share Post

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Sci-fi is my absolute favorite genre, be it with TV or movies or the written word.  If I haven't watched or read it, there's a slightly better than decent chance I've at least heard of it or seen it mentioned around the Interweb.

When you say "Sci-fi", do you include Fantasy? I love both, but there are some hardcore who don't care for Fantasy as it's basically not based on science.

5 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I wonder why Anna Torv hasn't been in more US-based shows.

I've wondered about that also. Mark Valley (Human Target) John Noble (Sleepy Hollow), Joshua Jackson (The Affair), Seth Gable (Salem), Kirk Acevedo (12 Monkeys), &  Georgina Haig, everyone's favorite daughter, Etta (Limitless), Orly Brady, Peter's mom (Into the Badlands), & Ari Graynor, Olivia's sister (Bad Teacher) all got other roles. Surprisingly, Junior FBI Agent Amy Jessup (Meghan Markle) moved on in a different way, as girlfriend(?) of Britain's Prince Harry.

Share Post

Anna Torv is starring in something called Mindhunters, which centers around FBI agents hunting serial killers, etc.  It's supposed to premiere October 13 on Netflix.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

When you say "Sci-fi", do you include Fantasy? I love both, but there are some hardcore who don't care for Fantasy as it's basically not based on science.

I've wondered about that also. Mark Valley (Human Target) John Noble (Sleepy Hollow), Joshua Jackson (The Affair), Seth Gable (Salem), Kirk Acevedo (12 Monkeys), &  Georgina Haig, everyone's favorite daughter, Etta (Limitless), Orly Brady, Peter's mom (Into the Badlands), & Ari Graynor, Olivia's sister (Bad Teacher) all got other roles. Surprisingly, Junior FBI Agent Amy Jessup (Meghan Markle) moved on in a different way, as girlfriend(?) of Britain's Prince Harry.

Yes, and no.  I like Fantasy too, but Sci-fi more.  If Fantasy is combined into the Sci-fi element, all the better.

1 minute ago, johntfs said:

Anna Torv is starring in something called Mindhunters, which centers around FBI agents hunting serial killers, etc.  It's supposed to premiere October 13 on Netflix.

I am looking forward to checking that series out, just for AT alone but definitely also the sci-fi basis its premise seems to imply. 

I would have looked into her other work(s) as well, but they were foreign based and not easily accessible.

Share Post

1 hour ago, johntfs said:

Wow, didn't hear anything about AT being in another series. Yes, like @iRarelyWatchTV36 says, any show featuring her is worth the price alone.

Share Post

I have an odd Fringe story, which is probably fitting for that show. Last year I got crazy sick & after a couple of weeks & a few doctor's visits I ended up in the ER late one night. I noticed that one of the nurse's working on me had a tattoo of a  tulip on her inner forearm, and not just any tulip, an outline of Walter's tulip exactly like he got in the mail. I said something to her & she told me I was only the second person she had met in the couple of years since she'd gotten the tattoo that recognized it. Then she told me she got it after her father died because they had had a complicated relationship & she wanted something to memorialize him.  I was a bit loopy from the drugs & the fever & I cried a little & told her how sweet that was. She patted my hand & whispered that she'd sneak me another blanket. (They were keeping me mostly uncovered to help combat my fever & I was cold & shivering.) A few days later, when I was more lucid, it made me smile to think of one of my favorite little TV shows helping me make a connection. 

Share Post

4 hours ago, johntfs said:

I'm going to see if her mini-series "Secret City" is available on any of the streaming web sites. AT plays a journalist and leads the show.

Edited by Jacks-Son.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, ramble said:

I have an odd Fringe story, which is probably fitting for that show. Last year I got crazy sick & after a couple of weeks & a few doctor's visits I ended up in the ER late one night. I noticed that one of the nurse's working on me had a tattoo of a  tulip on her inner forearm, and not just any tulip, an outline of Walter's tulip exactly like he got in the mail. I said something to her & she told me I was only the second person she had met in the couple of years since she'd gotten the tattoo that recognized it. Then she told me she got it after her father died because they had had a complicated relationship & she wanted something to memorialize him.  I was a bit loopy from the drugs & the fever & I cried a little & told her how sweet that was. She patted my hand & whispered that she'd sneak me another blanket. (They were keeping me mostly uncovered to help combat my fever & I was cold & shivering.) A few days later, when I was more lucid, it made me smile to think of one of my favorite little TV shows helping me make a connection. 

Hey, a nice heart warming story. Nice of you to share. Little connections like that are special in our lives. I wonder what made her choose that tulip? No mention of her being a Fringe fan or are tulips symbolic of loss?

Share Post

Oh no, sorry if I didn't make that clear. The nurse was definitely a Fringe fan. She didn't go into too many details about her & her father's relationship other than to say it was complicated, and they both had to deal with forgiveness of each other. She said the fact that Walter took the tulip to be a sign of forgiveness meant a lot to her after what she'd dealt with with her dad. 

Share Post

Oh, I mistook what you meant when she said that you were the second person that recognized it. Duh!  ER's can always use the personal touch. Glad it helped you and you have fond memories of that time.

Share Post

1 hour ago, ramble said:

Oh no, sorry if I didn't make that clear. The nurse was definitely a Fringe fan. She didn't go into too many details about her & her father's relationship other than to say it was complicated, and they both had to deal with forgiveness of each other. She said the fact that Walter took the tulip to be a sign of forgiveness meant a lot to her after what she'd dealt with with her dad. 

Did you by chance happen to ask her is she'd helped deliver any man-babies?  ;-)

(great little "small world" moment and thanks for sharing, btw)

Share Post

Ha! I should've asked her that! Maybe if I'd had all my wits about me I would have thought to. The man-baby episode (The Same Old Story) both creeped me out & made me sad. Mixed up emotions are typical for me when I watch Fringe. 

Share Post

All this Fringe talk has got my urge to do another re-watch but all my DVD's are back in California. I ended up buying the Amazon Video versions just to satisfy my urge.

I did manage to acquire Anna Torv's 6 episode series "Secret City" and have begun to watch that also. Nice to hear her speak with her native accent.

Share Post

I've never watched Fringe but just wanted to say I enjoyed the Farscape/B5/DS9 comments in the season opener thread (I think it was).  All 3 shows, as well as Firefly and BSG are in my personal top ten.   And I remember the B5/DS9 wars well.

I wish we had more episodes of Killjoys though. 10 is not enough. 

Edited by tessaray.

Share Post

If you ever find yourself wanting to watch something you haven't yet, @tessaray, check out Fringe.  If you've ever watched and liked  X-Files, then Fringe will be in your wheelhouse.  The two shows are very similar, but where XF's main mythology is aliens, Fringe's is closer to home - while still (sometimes) being out of this world.

I offer this bit of usable advice, for newbies of Fringe;  The earliest parts of the opening arc of the first season may be a bit tough to stomach, but if you can power through that [eps 2 through 5 or 6], the show really takes off.  If you still haven't been pulled in by the time that the end credits are running on the S1 finale, then you honestly might not ever get into the show.  IMO, the S1 finale is the ultimate tipping point.  If you haven't been hooked by then, chances aren't great for changing opinion.

ETA:  Episode #4 is important, in more ways than one.  So don't bypass that ep if you decide to skip a few early ones that seem lackluster by way of reading the synopsis of the episodes, or whatnot.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36. Reason: more info

Share Post

42 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I've never watched Fringe but just wanted to say I enjoyed the Farscape/B5/DS9 comments in the season opener thread (I think it was).  All 3 shows, as well as Firefly and BSG are in my personal top ten.   And I remember the B5/DS9 wars well.

I wish we had more episodes of Killjoys though. 10 is not enough. 

Well, Fringe is not like any of the shows you've mentioned in the comment. It closely resembles The X-Files. In fact, as an homage to The X-Files, during the 2nd episode of season 1, a comment is made by one the characters that seemingly references that old show. 

It truly was a fun show and probably matches Farscape in its bizarre episodes.

Share Post

6 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Well, Fringe is not like any of the shows you've mentioned in the comment. It closely resembles The X-Files. In fact, as an homage to The X-Files, during the 2nd episode of season 1, a comment is made by one the characters that seemingly references that old show. 

It truly was a fun show and probably matches Farscape in its bizarre episodes.

There's also a quick "blink and you'll miss it" shot of an X-Files episode playing on a TV in that same episode.

Share Post

Yep, I remember that. If I recall correctly, It was a scene of Mulder looking up at something. At the time, Fringe fans were all over that and even managed to identify the exact episode it was cut from.

Share Post

My bad, I mentally transposed what you wrote above @Jacks-Son.  The quick-peek of the X-Files episode - which yes, was Mulder looking up at something - is in the opening moments of the 2nd season premiere.

ETA:  Also in the 2nd season premiere, a direct mention is made of the "X-designation", but can't remember if it was referred to as a little known part of the government or just the label given to some cases/case files.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36. Reason: more info

Share Post

4 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

is in the opening moments of the 2nd season premiere.

Was that the riveting scene of Olivia returning from visiting Bell? I believe that episode marked the first appearance of Prince Harry's latest girlfriend, Meghan Markle. (Junior FBI Agent Amy Jessup)

Share Post

I did like X-Files, well the alien episodes at least.  But there's so much to watch, so little time... Fringe will have to wait at least until I finish getting caught up on last season's Dark Matter and Arrow.  (I get very little time to watch much of anything during the week, so if I get behind, it can get out of hand fast.)    

Share Post

Just now, Jacks-Son said:

Was that the riveting scene of Olivia returning from visiting Bell? I believe that episode marked the first appearance of Prince Harry's latest girlfriend, Meghan Markle. (Junior FBI Agent Amy Jessup)

It was in the sequence just before Olivia's return.  And yes, it was MM's first appearance on the show.

2 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I did like X-Files, well the alien episodes at least.  But there's so much to watch, so little time... Fringe will have to wait at least until I finish getting caught up on last season's Dark Matter and Arrow.  (I get very little time to watch much of anything during the week, so if I get behind, it can get out of hand fast.)    

I hear that. 

Not only that, but I think I have a slight form of ADD, because while watching (or re-watching) something, I get to thinking about wanting to watch/re-watch something else to the point of distraction, or nearly so.  I've abandoned one show to jump to another because of said distraction before.  Then when go back to the previous show sometime later, need to re-watch (at least part of) it to reorient myself on things.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

It was in the sequence just before Olivia's return.  And yes, it was MM's first appearance on the show.

Oh yes, Broyles and Congress. The fight for Fringe funding.

5 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Yeah, you have to get your priorities straight. DM & Arrow are two shows that you shouldn't let fall by the wayside. Fringe isn't going anywhere. Well, you should probably catch up on DM soon, or you'll fall too far behind this season too. I've got to watch the last few episodes of The Blacklist and Gotham. Enjoy!

Share Post

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

ETA:  Also in the 2nd season premiere, a direct mention is made of the "X-designation", but can't remember if it was referred to as a little known part of the government or just the label given to some cases/case files.

I think the reference to the "x-designation" was made in the 2nd episode of S1 when Broyles is breaking down his new team to that small group of "Pattern" followers that included Nina. I just saw that episode about 3 hours ago. No, you're right. In S1E2, Broyles just said "earlier team", in S2E1, Broyles mentions "x -designation".

@iRarelyWatchTV36, I usually finish the episode BEFORE  I jump to another show. Saves time. :-)

Edited by Jacks-Son.

Share Post

I often get distracted with shows. For example, Person of Interest is in syndication and I stumbled on an episode OTA and then had to go back and rewatch S5.  (I really need to do a complete rewatch someday. Maybe when I retire...)  At least there aren't many new shows on right now that I'll get behind on. :-) 

I do go out of my way to watch Killjoys live if I can, or as soon afterwards that I can manage. It was the same last summer, which is why I'm caught up on it and behind on Dark Matter.   

Share Post

Don't forget "Wynonna Earp". That's my Fridays, Killjoys, DM, then WE. Fortunately, whenever I need a POI fix, I just go to my Amazon Library and watch Person of Interest there. Oh, and then there's Lucifer, probably the only show left that I watch live. Everything else I just watch on the DVR. You get a "Like" for mentioning POI.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Jacks-Son said:

Don't forget "Wynonna Earp". That's my Fridays, Killjoys, DM, then WE. Fortunately, whenever I need a POI fix, I just go to my Amazon Library and watch Person of Interest there. Oh, and then there's Lucifer, probably the only show left that I watch live. Everything else I just watch on the DVR. You get a "Like" for mentioning POI.

I've seen a few clips of WE but I'm not really into supernatural stuff.  Alien goo and space ships, yes. Life Model Decoys, sure. Talking gorillas, why not? Sentient ASIs, absolutely. Demons, not so much. Weird, I know.   

I'm still grieving POI.  Probably the first show since Firefly where that's happened.     

Share Post

The fact that FOX screwed the world out of any more Firefly than was given is a crime against humanity and television.

I almost wish I hadn't watched the forcedly aborted (only) season a couple years ago, for the first time, because I was so pissed afterwards that there wasn't more time and life awarded to what was & could have been an a great(er) addition to the universal sci-fi genre.

Adam Baldwin will always be Jayne Cobb & Major John Casey ('Chuck') to me.

[Plan to watch The Last Ship at some point, as well, to catch AB on TV again]

Share Post

40 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I've seen a few clips of WE but I'm not really into supernatural stuff.  Alien goo and space ships, yes. Life Model Decoys, sure. Talking gorillas, why not? Sentient ASIs, absolutely. Demons, not so much. Weird, I know.   

I'm still grieving POI.  Probably the first show since Firefly where that's happened. 

LOL, you draw the line at demons?!?! Have you ever watched Buffy, Angel, Vampire Diaries, or The Originals??? How about Supernatural?  Sure, they all have demons in them but the snark is SO much fun. Wynonna Earp is absolutely filled with snark and it's fun to hear.

Life Model Decoys, hmm, that's AoS. Wasn't Ward eventually possessed by the demon Hive at the end?  Anyway, you like what you like. However, if you don't like demons, that's your "red line". Mine is Musicals. I. Will. Not. Watch. Musicals. Can't stand them. Never have. (Never saw "West Side Story", "The Sound of Music", or "Singing in the Rain")The thought of a show doing a musical episode gives me chills, and not in a good way. Although, I did watch Buffy's musical number but I wasn't a fan of The Flash's musical number. The thought of someone spontaneously breaking out in song has me perplexed.

Yes, I miss the POI team. Hated the last few episodes. They promised me a Shaw-Root reunion and I felt cheated.

@iRarelyWatchTV36. FOX lives to mess with us. Firefly was short-lived and aired out of order. It was DOA. What was worse was the last episode of Farscape that ended with the "To Be Continued....". I yelled so loudly at my TV when they pulled that crap, that neighbors' dogs started howling. Thank God for "Peacekeeper Wars".

p.s. The Last Ship is awesome; can't wait until it comes back. Some people watched it for Eric Dane or Adam Baldwin, I watched it for Rhona Mitra & Bridget Regan. (Speaking of Bridget Regan, I guess @tessaray didn't like "Legend of the Seeker" either?)

Edited by Jacks-Son. Reason: Firefly mention @ last second

Share Post

@Jacks-Son, I think my demon aversion can be traced back to being traumatized by The Exorcist. (I'm old.) I can tolerate brief storylines, like Ghost Rider or Hive Ward in AoS but not as the basis for a show. So no to Supernatural, though I like the leads. JA from Dark Angel especially. No to vampires but I'm not really the target demo for any of those shows. My kids watched Buffy and Angel so I've seen most of them.  I was fascinated by S6 Buffy's dark/twisted vibe from a storytelling perspective yet I probably wouldn't have watched it intentionally. 

Bridget Regan I know from shows like White Collar and Agent Carter but yeah, never saw Legend of the Seeker.  Last Ship is high on my list of shows to watch someday.  

I'm with you on musicals! Music can be very effective in setting the tone of a show and Killjoys is great at that but breaking into song, a la "the Sound of Music"?  No thanks.  

Share Post

4 hours ago, tessaray said:

I think my demon aversion can be traced back to being traumatized by The Exorcist. (I'm old.) I can tolerate brief storylines, like Ghost Rider or Hive Ward in AoS but not as the basis for a show. So no to Supernatural, though I like the leads. JA from Dark Angel

Hey, that's my proprietary excuse. Was Jensen Ackles in Dark Angel? I don't remember him in it, just Michael Westerley (I think). Thankfully, they finally managed to kill Ward and he's no longer "mostly dead". I was sick of him popping up all the time.

With regard to Fringe, I agree with everything @iRarelyWatchTV36 said, especially about S1E4 "The Arrival".

Share Post

7 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Hey, that's my proprietary excuse. Was Jensen Ackles in Dark Angel?

He was.  The "Hellhazers" episode in Season 3 of Supernatural with Dean banging the lead actress in her trailer was apparently a nod to Weatherly and Jessica Alba frequently (and loudly) doing the horizontal mambo in her trailer.

Share Post

Hmmm, I saw the first few seasons of Supernatural  and I don't remember that. How could Weatherly bang anybody, wasn't he in a wheelchair? What was it a cameo or something like a dream sequence?

Share Post

2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Hmmm, I saw the first few seasons of Supernatural  and I don't remember that. How could Weatherly bang anybody, wasn't he in a wheelchair? What was it a cameo or something like a dream sequence?

Weatherly wasn't in a wheelchair off camera.  No, according to Ackles, Alba and Weatherly were a real-life couple offscreen who used to got at it hot and heavy in her trailer all the time.

Oh, and the episode was Season 2 "Hollywood Babylon."

Share Post

Well, damn, Weatherly, good for him. I don't know too many people who wouldn't.

Share Post

6 hours ago, johntfs said:

He was.  The "Hellhazers" episode in Season 3 of Supernatural with Dean banging the lead actress in her trailer was apparently a nod to Weatherly and Jessica Alba frequently (and loudly) doing the horizontal mambo in her trailer.

2 hours ago, johntfs said:

Weatherly wasn't in a wheelchair off camera.  No, according to Ackles, Alba and Weatherly were a real-life couple offscreen who used to got at it hot and heavy in her trailer all the time.

Oh, and the episode was Season 2 "Hollywood Babylon."

(dropping another Supernatural reference in...)

Maybe they were just private meetings to go over the scripts and such, only done in a "loud, and athletic" manner.

Share Post

For those of you who are interested in reading about the TV show "Farscape", here's a critique of each episode by season at The A.V. Club:

http://www.avclub.com/tv/farscape/

Unfortunately, the author of the critiques only reviews seasons 1-3.

Edited by Jacks-Son.

Share Post

Wow, I just learned from a person named @Joe that "Farscape" episodes are available for viewing on YoutTube @ 

Edited by Jacks-Son.

Share Post

So, yesterday was sadly lacking in new Killjoys. I always feel slightly off kilter when a good show ends for the year.  But happy there will be a next year!  

Share Post

On 9/9/2017 at 11:16 AM, tessaray said:

So, yesterday was sadly lacking in new Killjoys. I always feel slightly off kilter when a good show ends for the year.  But happy there will be a next year!  

True, but the regular fall lineup will be starting back up soon, or new series that might be worth giving up 45-50 minutes to check out at least the pilot 'hour'.

I will (sometime this evening) be watching The Orville pilot episode.  Not gonna lie, looking forward to it - despite the headlines for mediocre reviews of it late last night on the interwebz.

Share Post

I enjoyed The Orville, though it's the opposite of Killjoys in every way possible. Reminds me a little of The Middleman in tone but it's pure Star Trek visually. 

Share Post