Pete and Jim

At the beginning Officer Reed was young. Check out the last episode where a burnt out Jim after serving in an undercover narcotics unit is on the verge of losing his wife thinking of quitting, as Officer Malloy was in the first episode

Share Post

Sadly, being a law enforcement officer age a person.  I had a crush on Pete when I was younger, but now I think both guys are adorable.

Share Post

At the beginning Officer Reed was young. Check out the last episode where a burnt out Jim after serving in an undercover narcotics unit is on the verge of losing his wife thinking of quitting, as Officer Malloy was in the first episode

I noticed that in the final episode Jim Reed's hair is longer and he's wearing tinted aviator-framed glasses. Tres hip and cool. Suddenly Malloy was the one who looked like an old married man instead of a swingin' bachelor.

Share Post

Yesterday afternoon was one I hadn't seen before, where Pete goes on vacation and comes back with a mustache. Pete didn't need to have a mustache. He really, really didn't need to have a mustache.

Share Post

OOOH-"Jim Reed" is on Love Boat--trying to pick up Connie Stevens in the ship's bar! (Wasn't she a little old for him?)

Share Post

According to wiki Kent MCord would have been around 40, depending on the exact year of the episode and Connie Stevens is just four years older than him. Now mid 40s the age difference is nothing. Back when Adam-12 was in production the ages they gave the characters in the Jack Webb acting troupe seems surreal. When the parents of teenagers were brought in my first thought is they are the grandparents and legal guardians, as many played the parents in the 50s version of Dragnet also.

Share Post

I guess I assumed she was older than that, I never saw Kent McCord in anything until Adam-12, but Connie Stevens has been around show-biz forever. Strangely, Martin Milner had 2 dates of birth, for years listed as 4 or 5 years younger.

Share Post

I just caught a second episode where Officer Malloy calls for a SWAT team and the boys become SWAT. At least this time Officer Reed was finished with probation.

Share Post

I never watched this show when it was originally on, but lately I've been catching it on MeTV. I really enjoy the chemistry between Jim and Pete; it seems so natural. I like that they kinda switched it around a little, making the older one the bachelor and the younger one the more stable married man.

They just seem like nice guys. I'll keep watching to see some of the character development you all have mentioned.

Share Post

I like the show because there is just the smallest amount of home life for Jim and passing talk about Pete's love life. It's all no big deal, because it isn't. The cops don't have an agenda other than keeping the peace and hassling Ed periodically.  I know that police departments were probably never that straightforward, but it's nice to think it could have been.

Share Post

One thing I find interesting is how Pete & Jim were the face of the modern police and the ideal in everything from professional demeanor with the public to being trusted partners.

On many sites discussing alleged abuse of authority, I often come across this image:

537662_503941022976737_1520244555_n1.jpg.

Share Post

If I recall correctly, however, they fired their guns an awful lot.   Or am I misremembering?  Old police shows used to have the most extended shootout scenes!  No bullet proof jackets, no swat gear... just ducking behind a cruiser door and emptying the old revolver.  Repeatedly.

Again, trying to remember how much of that was in Adam 12 - maybe less than I think?  My mind may be clouded by the Dragnet radio show podcasts I've been listening to -- boy, they shot 'em up every episode!  Didn't matter if it was an armed robbery, grand theft auto, cat in a tree, "Lookout, Ben!" *bang!*

Edited by kassa.

Share Post

I don't remember the never emptying cowboy six shooters. There is the famous command presence episode where Malloy held a man off with an empty revolver. Then when Reed had Mark Harmon as a boot the rookie lost his gun and used the same command presence to capture a gunman.

Share Post

One thing I find interesting is how Pete & Jim were the face of the modern police and the ideal in everything from professional demeanor with the public to being trusted partners.

On many sites discussing alleged abuse of authority, I often come across this image:

537662_503941022976737_1520244555_n1.jpg.

I knew a cop from that era and he would tell stories of ambushes (his department lost  six officers in the early 70s) and the war on police that came out of the late Vietnam and civil rights protest era that seems to be happening again. Malloy and Reed had the unseen sniper take shots at them for no reason that was very special episode when Reed killed the sniper. Part of it was like a late Dragnet episode showing Internal Affairs doing their thing after the shooting.

Share Post

Old police shows used to have the most extended shootout scenes!  No bullet proof jackets, no swat gear...

To be fair, SWAT teams as we know them didn't exist until after 1966 (the infamous Texas Tower Sniper incident is cited as the reason police needed to step up their tactics).  Even when they were organized, they were still limited to large police departments that had the manpower and funding to train them (LA, NY, etc.).  When Bulletproof vests came along - they were made of lead, not kevlar.  That made them very heavy and not easy to move around in them.  Many cops chose not to wear them.

Share Post

What the army wore in Korea and Vietnam stopped shell fragments. Not even pistol rounds. Today with add on trauma plates armor can stop some rifle shots

Share Post

If I recall correctly, however, they fired their guns an awful lot.   Or am I misremembering?  Old police shows used to have the most extended shootout scenes!  No bullet proof jackets, no swat gear... just ducking behind a cruiser door and emptying the old revolver.  Repeatedly.

Again, trying to remember how much of that was in Adam 12 - maybe less than I think?  My mind may be clouded by the Dragnet radio show podcasts I've been listening to -- boy, they shot 'em up every episode!  Didn't matter if it was an armed robbery, grand theft auto, cat in a tree, "Lookout, Ben!" *bang!*

By the time the color episodes of Dragnet came around things were different. ME TV used to run the promo with a shotgun welding Sergeant Friday threatening to blow a suspects head down the street. When I saw the episode they were after a man who shot a cop with a M-1 carbine, the "assault weapon" of WWII. And going in it was just Friday and Gannon and for the arrest he describes going to property and got a shotgun and four shells. I think it may have been a recycled script from the radio or black and white Dragnet days

Share Post

There was a remake in 1990. Considering the current popular culture image of police officers, now is not the time for a reboot.

Share Post

Or maybe precisely the time.  Wasn't Dragnet (the radio show) born out of some difficult days in LAPD history, hence their eagerness to assist for PR purposes?  The govt of LA in the early 30s was notoriously corrupt, with the vice squad actually enforcing for the mob.  Took a lot to clean it up, and I think Dragnet was part of the "things are different now, back to the way they should be" campaign of subsequent administrations.  

Its rebirth (and subsequent spinoff of Adam 12) in the 60s-70s would have worked for similar reasons -- an antidote and reminder of all that policework entails on a daily basis.

The formula may be too simple, now, post-COPS, NYPD Blue and Law and Order.

That guy, however, would be a super hot Pete!

Edited by kassa.

Share Post

Who is he?

Brian Geraghty he joined Chicago PD in the second season as Officer Sean Roman the new patrol cop replacing the previous one who joined the main intelligence squad of the show

Share Post

He's got that "Martin Milner" look about him. 

Share Post

To be fair, SWAT teams as we know them didn't exist until after 1966 (the infamous Texas Tower Sniper incident is cited as the reason police needed to step up their tactics).  Even when they were organized, they were still limited to large police departments that had the manpower and funding to train them (LA, NY, etc.).  When Bulletproof vests came along - they were made of lead, not kevlar.  That made them very heavy and not easy to move around in them.  Many cops chose not to wear them.

Have you seen the episode where Jack Webb introduces S,W,A,T as the radio reporter standing in for America ask, not "swat" to the public. There is a sniper on a roof and after evacuating the area Officers Malloy and Reed, even if Reed was just off probation at that point of the show's run, become part of the SWAT team. Besides the M-16 and firecrackers instead of flash bang grenades the only special gear worn where combat boots, coveralls over their uniforms and trading the bus driver service cap for a baseball or patrol cap.

Share Post

The formula may be too simple, now, post-COPS, NYPD Blue and Law and Order.

True, but the whole premise is basing each criminal case on a real one, so episodes can still be written closer to the current style of fictional shows, as long as they stay true to original events.  I'd totally be onboard with a remake - or a reboot/continuation if they bring Reed & Molloy in for glorified cameos (perhaps their children or grandchildren are on the force, etc.) early on in the show.

[brian Geraghty]'s got that "Martin Milner" look about him.

He certainly does!  Actor  Benjamin McKenzie also reminded me of Martin Milner during his time on "Southland".  I later read that was no accident.  For a while I half expected Martin Milner to play his uncle or something!

Share Post

On 3/28/2014 at 4:38 PM, bigskygirl said:

I would not mind being arrested by Pete and Jim.

I had a crush on Jim when I was little. Both of them are handsome.

On 12/11/2014 at 1:56 PM, Raja said:

I don't remember the never emptying cowboy six shooters. There is the famous command presence episode where Malloy held a man off with an empty revolver. Then when Reed had Mark Harmon as a boot the rookie lost his gun and used the same command presence to capture a gunman.

I hadn't seen this show in years was channel surfing past COZI TV and saw this episode. What a pleasant surprise that Mark Harmon was in it! As Abby would say, "he's baby Gibbs!" Other than that, it was hard for me to watch the show again. 

Share Post

5 hours ago, MaiTaiTime33 said:

I had a crush on Jim when I was little. Both of them are handsome.

I hadn't seen this show in years was channel surfing past COZI TV and saw this episode. What a pleasant surprise that Mark Harmon was in it! As Abby would say, "he's baby Gibbs!" Other than that, it was hard for me to watch the show again. 

Mark Harmon couldn't have been more than two years out of UCLA when they filmed the episode. They may have had an episode where the boot, what Southland taught us was the actual LAPD term, didn't make it but they played it as if "probie" Gibbs would calm down and make it through the probationary  year for the LAPD career.

Share Post