Jump to content

Old Feuds: Survey Says This Show Has Had Lots of Reboots

7 versions of the show to be exact--6 reboots, to be exact, and 6 hosts (since Dawson hosted twice).

 

There's also apparently currently an Australian version, although I don't know if that counts as a reboot.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I grew up watching Richard Dawson on The Feud. Love him.  The celebrity Family Feuds were always fun to watch.

1

Share Post


Link to post

I love Richard Dawson, and I watch two episodes of the old Feud every day on Antenna TV.  But, I have to say that he has been making me cringe lately ---- there recently have been some families/family members of Indian descent, and Richard insisted on imitating their stereotypical accent. It also didn't help that he could hardly understand what they said to him, so we get the awkward, "what??" Today, a contestant said that he was born in Bombay. It was obvious that Richard had no clue, he questioned the guy, "BumBee???"  Thankfully, someone must have set him straight on the commercial break -- he later referred to the guy as "our friend from Bombay." I can't lie -- I do laugh at the 70's dedication to political incorrectness!

1

Share Post


Link to post

I cannot bear to watch the old versions with Dawson (I guess?) kissing the women on the lips. Gross.

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 11/2/2016 at 4:14 AM, shapeshifter said:

I cannot bear to watch the old versions with Dawson (I guess?) kissing the women on the lips. Gross.

It's kind of icky, but there is one thing that might make you forgive him.  Richard Dawson recieved a lot of criticisim for kissing black women.  He stood right up and said,  "Who are we to question how God made us or what color He made us?  I kiss black women because I kiss white women."  I will forgive a few things since he was willing to stand up and say that.

 

On 4/3/2015 at 11:32 AM, Kromm said:

7 versions of the show to be exact--6 reboots, to be exact, and 6 hosts (since Dawson hosted twice).

It's hard to watch the episodes where Ray Combs hosts, knowing his tragic end.  And he was a pretty solid host, too.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked.
2

Share Post


Link to post
9 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

It's kind of icky, but there is one thing that might make you forgive him.  Richard Dawson recieved a lot of criticisim for kissing black women.  He stood right up and said,  "Who are we to question how God made us or what color He made us?  I kiss black women because I kiss white women."  I will forgive a few things since he was willing to stand up and say that.

I'v been watching more of his shows and now see him as a good guy—even if he may have single handedly (or would that be double lippedly?) started more epidemics than any Typhoid Mary. But I still close my eyes when he kisses anyone.

 

9 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

It's hard to watch the episodes where Ray Combs hosts, knowing his tragic end.  And he was a pretty solid host, too.

I was reading Wikipedia about the show and about him. It seems he was replaced by Dawson because the ratings were down, but the network also changed the rules at that time to make it harder to win—and that's got to be a ratings cooler. But I also saw a later Ray Combs episode in which he was losing patience with the contestants, which was really hard to watch in and of itself, but also knowing his ultimate fate.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I happened to catch an old episode yesterday? —either with Richard Dawson or Ray Combs—and the question was "How do you know a girl is a tomboy?" Each answer was more cringe-worthy than the last, down to the last one: "She's dirty." At least none of the contestants thought of that.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 6/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

The question was "How do you know a girl is a tomboy?" Each answer was more cringe-worthy than the last, down to the last one: "She's dirty." At least none of the contestants thought of that.

This is one thing that jumps right out at you watching the game shows of the 70's and 80's.

They were very progressive when it came to race relations, and very careful with the questions and answers.

But when it came to women and women's issues-- not so much.

1

Share Post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

This is one thing that jumps right out at you watching the game shows of the 70's and 80's.

They were very progressive when it came to race relations, and very careful with the questions and answers.

But when it came to women and women's issues-- not so much.

I was going to add, "Or gender issues in general," but, even though the 70s Match Game episodes made fun of gay men nearly every time, and the joking today would be considered offensive or even bullying, at the time the jesting served to publically acknowledge that the world population included a lot of non-heterosexuals.

On The' Feud, there was a lot less gay ridiculing, but, what fun-poking there was, felt more mean spirited, perhaps because there were no gay celebrity regulars.

Edited by shapeshifter.
1

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now