Bat Signal:Batman in the Media

Happy Golden Anniversary, Bat-Fans!!!!

Yes, on this day, 50 years ago, the very first episode (Hi Diddle Riddle) premiered on ABC.
Not very much hype and hoopla is being done about this incredible occurrence.
Apparently, DC is all “partied out” celebrating the recent anniversaries of several of their comic books.
Besides, most of the celebratory merchandise has already been available now for the past year or more.

So, I’m planning on celebrating by reading a couple of Batman ’66 comics --
Admiring (OK, playing with) my Batman ’66 action figures

(if you look carefully, you can even see the make-up covered mustache on the Joker)
I even have my Batman ’66 Xmas ornaments that I still kept out this year due to the mounumentous occasion.
And, of course, the main course of this celebration – the special edition Blu-Ray complete collection
I will be sitting down and watching several of the adventures, including “Hi Diddle Riddle” itself.

A television show that shattered the black and white world of TV and showed the world what "Bat-Color" was,

and then proceeded to have special guest stars every week, from TV personalities to movie stars and even a few musicians, decades ahead of "The Simpsons".

It was the pop culture show of its time, and it will forever be remembered.

Share Post

Not quite Media, but last weeks episode of The Goldbergs focused on the premiere of the 1989 movie, and the grandfather trying to introduce the kids to the TV series in return. A nice look back at both, and the father gets to do a brutal Adam West imitation.

Share Post

RIP, Adam West. Thank you for so many memories. Although I enjoy the more "modern" takes on Batman that came from "better" actors like Michael Keaton and Christian Bale (sorry, George Clooney!), Adam West is MY Batman, a generational thing which is why Roger Moore is Bond and Tom Baker is The Doctor for so many of us. I had hoped Adam could be the male Betty White and just keep going and going towards 100, so that's why I find this news especially sad. Thanks again.

Share Post

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same.

He will forever hold a special place in my heart because he was the first real life Batman for me. RIP, Adam West.😪😪😪

I loved when he was asked and he provided his voice for Simon Trent/The Gray Ghost in Batman: The animated series' "Gray Ghost."

FUCK CANCER!!!😡

I remember seeing him twice on another favorite show of mine-Perry Mason in recent years. I think both were before he was cast as Batman. And he played two different characters.

I posted this in the Celebrity Memoriam thread, but also putting it here:

Edited by GHScorpiosRule.

Share Post

A great writeup from the Vulture:

Great Actor, Batman: Adam West’s Influence Continues to Shape Hollywood

Excerpt:

West’s Batman/Bruce Wayne is, and will always remain, the single most important screen incarnation of the character, for better or worse: For better because it was the most surprising, at times confounding, interpretation of the Caped Crusader, feather-light and hilarious precisely because of the character’s seeming lack of self-awareness; for worse, in the eyes of some fans, because it encouraged millions of people who had never picked up a Batman comic, or any comic, to be amused by the sight of adults dressing up in wild outfits and pretending to punch each other in the face. Every subsequent, high-profile reinvention of Batman, whether in Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, Alan Moore and Brian Bolland’s The Killing Joke, Tim Burton’s alternately perverse and sincere Batman and Batman Returns, Christopher Nolan’s operatic trilogy, and Zack Snyder’s funereal Batman vs. Superman, is, first and foremost, a reaction against the Adam West–driven Batman series.

That’s how important the show was: It was cancelled 50 years ago and hasn’t been a force in syndication since the ’80s, yet the whole superhero-industrial complex is still defining itself in opposition to it, subconsciously or with intent. The two 1990s Joel Schumacher Batmans, Batman Returns and Batman and Robin, made many Bat-fans furious precisely because they embraced the ’60s TV aesthetic that post–Frank Miller Batman comics did their best to expunge; they were seen as a step backward because they weren’t dour. Whenever a “thinkpiece” about comics appears in a mainstream publication declaring they’re not for kids anymore and have moved beyond “Zap!” and “Pow!” — I wrote a few myself, 20-plus years ago, and they’re still being written, amazingly — it’s the 1960s Batman series they’re addressing. As comic-book expert Glen Weldon put it in a 2014 NPR interview, “Without Adam West making Batman into a fad, and without [comic-book writer and editor] Denny O’Neil saying, ‘OK, let’s take him back to basics,’ you don’t get anything that comes after that. You don’t have the Frank Miller Dark Knight, you don’t get the Bruce Timm animated series Batman, you don’t get Tim Burton, you don’t get Joel Schumacher, and you don’t get Christopher Nolan.”

The face of that series was Adam West. The chin, really.

Share Post