All Episodes Talk: This Really Happened!

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

This show is so crazy.

In the first episode, the Bear attack, I couldn't get over how negative everyone admitted to being towards the young woman survivor.  First, the dad admitted he asked her if she had any facial injuries because he was worried about her being a young woman needing to be married, and then the one guy said he asked her what her major was and when she said dance he looked at her broken foot and thought, "Well that ain't going to happen!"  Jeez, she was just attacked by a bear, cut her a break.

In the second episode, I was dying to know what happened to that rude 911 caller.  I hope they were fired because that was just so fucked up.

Share Post

The first eposide was the plane crash in Alaska. The second was the MN bridge collapse. Was the third the bear attack? What was the episode about the 911 operator you are referring to?

Share Post

I've had a chance to watch a couple of the episodes and this shit is waaaay too long!  They could tell most of these stories in an hour.  We started out watching "The Good Guys" episode and we just bailed.  The repetition was unreal.  I'm out.

Share Post

Oh sorry, I guess I missed a few episodes.  The episode with the woman who was beaten with a baseball bat by her ex and put her into a trash can had the rude 911 caller.  He even said to her, "Are you going to just breathe heavy or are you going to tell me where you are?" and didn't believe her when she said she was duct taped.

Share Post

Ahh. I haven't seen the baseball bat one and the one from last night yet. I agree with the previous poster that said this could be shorter. I love the topics, but cut it down to an hour!

Share Post

Guh, yeah this show should be an hour, tops.  In the "Bad Guys at the Good Guys" hostage episode (S01E05), it was like a joke how much repetition and recap there is after each commercial, and even within each act.  It's impossible to watch.  Also, in this episode, the set design was really bad.  The electronics store looked like someone's office space that someone had rolled a bunch of busted-ass electronics into.

Oh and there were supposed to have been upwards of 50 hostages in the actual event (notable because this is still the biggest hostage rescue on US soil)... but there are like 10 in this show.

Edited by boybert.

Share Post

The last few shows could definitely have been an hour.  The lady who's husband beat her was good and all, but I didn't need to hear her tell another 6 times how she thought she was going to die but kept herself alive.

The first shows, especially the bridge collapse in Minnesota, were fine at 2 hours.  My worst fear is what happened to that bridge in Minnesota.  I was born there and most of my family still lives there so that day was rough for us to get people on the phone.  

I think when they have more than one person telling the story it's better.  The bridge collapse episode had so many stories that it didn't leave me bored at all.  But the hostage episode was really hard to watch, I was so bored especially after knowing how it would end.

Share Post

The mom of the guy trapped in the corn bin really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

She was worried about what people would think if she collapsed when seeing her sons dead body? I didn't like her at all.

Share Post

Oh, thank heavens, Maharincess!  I thought I was being overly cynical about her - she was such a narcissist!  It was all about her, and the bit that got to me the most was her stating that Aaric survived because she taught her children not to panic and maintain their stability.  This, of course, was after at least four scenes where Mom was crawling on her knees gasping, or screaming hysterically and driving at 125 mph...

It was definitely an interesting episode,  Wasn't planning on watching it at first, but quickly got sucked into the story as Aaric did into the corn.  It's amazing Aaric didn't suffer any long-term or permanent injury as the result of his ordeal.  Hopefully, his dad will be able to reconcile his emotions...he felt so responsible.

Share Post

I missed the first 2 episodes; I would have liked seeing them.  I was familiar with the bear attack and woman in a trash barrel stories, so they were OK.  That Good Guys story was too long and the repetitive recaps bothered me to no end.

The corn silo story should have been 30 minutes, not 2 f'ing hours.  The repetitions and then the re-enactments of those repetitions were just too much for me.  It was a good story that should have been riveting; instead I was alternately bored and annoyed.  That said, the kid was lucky he was wearing that helmet.

Share Post

I've seen every episode and I have to say, I couldn't watch at all if the survivors were not there telling their stories. I usually start crying because I can't help but imagine myself in their place. At least the bridge story was disjointed with so many different stories, that one didn't bother me. I remember when it happened so was just curious to learn more about it.

I only watched the first part of the store hostage so I don't know what happened to any of them. That episode wasn't as compelling as others and I sort of didn't care, plus there was something better on the other channel. I'll Google it some day to see how it ended.

The corn silo one REALLY got me though, and I didn't think it was too long at all. I live in corn-silo country and there are accidents all the time in bins much smaller than that one. I was engrossed the entire two hours. I felt terrible for the father, who thought afterward he should have dumped his trailer and driven the cab back to his farm. Hindsight is always clear thinking. If Arick had died, he would never have forgiven himself.

The bear attack ... I put myself in the place of those people and don't know what I would have done if I had met that bear. It was luck the other hikers found them.

The beaten woman ... I never would have been in her position because I never would have let a creep like that live with me past the honeymoon much less years. But many women are in such situations for whatever reason, and it's good she's alive and teaching "the message" to other battered women.

Share Post

I actually liked the corn silo episode and that guy was the luckiest man in the world at that point. The helmet certainly saved his life.  I guess I had more interest in this one because I'm from a farming and ranching family which we are still involved in today.

I thought the plane crash in Alaska was probably the worst episode.  I was sooo sick of the dad.  Glad they survived but he worked my every nerve.

Share Post

Saber 5055. I unfortunately know from experience that its not that easy to leave an abusive husband. By the time you think about escaping they have mentally broken you to the point that you really believe that you're so horrible that nobody could possibly love you. Except them of course.

I won't go into detail but its not easy to just leave.

I didn't watch that episode because I can't watch stuff like that.

Share Post

Maharincess, I'm so sorry if I offended you. I do personally know about abusive relationships and completely understand how one person can break another down mentally and emotionally. I guess while i was watching that episode I was thinking, "No way would I let that happen to me," but I also know that if you drop one grain of sand under the table every day, eventually there's a whole beach under there and you're all like, "Where did that come from?" Speaking metaphorically, of course. I don't blame that woman at all for what happened to her, and I was glad she did leave/divorce that guy. That took a lot.

I found that episode very difficult to watch just because of all the woman went through. I couldn't believe the husband didn't just kill her outright, but I guess some things were just left out of the story. But at the end, where she was shown teaching classes about abuse and battering ... I thought that was worth the two hours, and her attitude was so remarkably good. I guess living through something like that changes a person. Obviously.

The corn silo episode ... I was freaking and yelling at the tv when Arick went walking into that bin. Even though I knew he got buried and lived, I didn't want to watch it happen. I hope farmers use more safety items now in bins, like the harnesses worn by roofers and steel workers, with a strong cable attached to it so a buried person can be quickly found. If Arick had been wearing that (maybe) it would have helped save him. But four hours buried like that? Wow.

Share Post

You didn't offend me at all! A lot of people wonder why women don't just leave an abusive relationship. People (not you, people in general) just don't understand that its not that simple.

Share Post

I thought the cop episode was interesting and good, even though a bit uncomfortable IMO given all the bad-cop police brutality/murder videos that are coming forward now. I'm surprised the cop made the victim get out of his car, then get back in instead of sitting him down on the curb like they do on "Cops." But he did say he didn't listen to so many red flags, so there's that. Interesting how it could have played out if the victim hadn't panicked, he would have been let go.

My biggest take from this episode was the screaming woman who ended up driving off in a car with a flat tire, leaving her husband on the street to fend for himself. I wonder how their marriage was impacted by that. 

Who was it who phoned in the 911 call? What were the sandwich shop employees doing during the shoot out?

I wonder if family/friends of the man murdered in his home were comfortable with the show making up what happened before/after his murder.

I liked the visual of the bullet impacting the cop's vest, whether it was real or CGI. We got to see it several times!

Share Post