"Breaking News!": After The Show

Blue Jasmine. Dahlia ia a different film.

Absolutely right. My fevered brain conflated the noir-ish aspects of this case with the Woody Allen angle. And then there's that other Hollywood (ish) true crime, The Black Dahlia . . .

Back on topic:

I can't take that judge's remarks to Inside Edition seriously. Firstly: Inside Edition. Secondly, as has been pointed out, SO ridiculous to assume (and then spout off) that the cat head was from Durst when any number of angry, disturbed, and/or criminal people who'd been in her courtroom could have done that. And finally, she appears to be lazily parroting the assertions made in that Times article to "prove" her accusations -- and doing it pretty late in the game. Talk about angling for her fifteen minutes. I mean, he may well have dismembered any number of dogs and people. I just don't think it's fair to pin him for that particular cat.

Welp, I just defended Bob Durst. Could this day get any weirder?

Edited by spaceghostess.

Share Post

I love how the source in that article is so offended that Robert Durst didn't have a bulletin board and used thumbtacks on the walls of his nice apartment.  Like of all the terrible things you could complain that Durst did....

Share Post

According to Entertainment Weekly, Bob's attorney, Dick DeGuerin, "is speaking out about his client on 48 Hours, in his only network TV interview" tomorrow (Saturday).

On the clip of bathroom audio recorded in the final episode of The Jinx (in which Durst is heard saying to himself, “killed them all”) DeGuerin says, “I think it was great drama… but it’s not the truth.”

“I think people are fascinated by wealth, by strangeness and by mystery,” DeGuerin tells 48 Hours. “And I think the case has all of those things.” Though he warns against sensationalism and good television possibly shrouding what really happened: “I think the case ought to be tried on the facts and not on an effort to win an Emmy.”

Share Post

They haven't sent Roman Polanski back, and with Durst possibly facing death penalty charges, there's no way in hell they would send him back.

There is a huge difference between Polanski and Durst which is that he is a French citizen and that is why they won't extradite him. Also, it's fairly unlikely that Durst will face the death penalty in Berman's death. However, there are other places that he could flee that don't have extradition treaties with the US.

Share Post

For the love of God, someone please get Debra Charatan onto the cast of NYC Housewives.

I just spat a mouthful of fine redwine back into my glass. You owe me eleven bucks.

Share Post

If Debra has any knowledge of Durst's murderous activities, she should be charged as well, as an accessory after the fact or whatever they can pin on her.  She disgusts me almost as much as Durst.  She pretty much sold her soul to the devil himself.

Share Post

My guess is once you're entangled with Bob and possibly know too much, you're stuck. I'm sure a lot of whatever relationship Deborah has with Bob is/was about money, but at this point she's aware that people who displease Bob often end up in fear for their lives (Douglas & family) or dead (Susan Berman). She made some sort of deal with the devil. A rich, crazy devil.

Share Post

Reading a few updates this morning. 

More evidence seized:

Sixty boxes containing phone records, bills, family-trust documents, photographs and transcripts of Robert Durst's 2003 murder trial were seized from the cellar of his friend's house in Campbell Hall, New York.

Hope there's something incriminating, but knowing Durst, there won't be. 

I'm reading "A review of the many Robert Dursts – a web of aliases, addresses, PO boxes and private companies – reveals clues left long after the murder of Susan Berman" from The Guardian. Too much to bullet point, but I'll quote one tidbit:

There was nothing unusual about having a private mailbox or how Robert Durst’s packages looked from the outside, the UPS employees said. But he did have an odd habit: Durst’s iPad would travel separately from him on long journeys. He would arrive at the UPS store, put down his iPad on the counter and ask the staff to ship it to wherever in the country he was travelling.“ Always shipped overnight so it’d be there before he got there,” a staff member told the Guardian.

The Guardian's investigator speculates it might have been to get around airport security. 

Share Post

The Guardian's investigator speculates it might have been to get around airport security.

That sounds weird. I pack my iPad in my carry-on bag every time I fly. No one at the TSA ever asks me to take it out of my bag or has any desire to inspect it like a laptop. Not that I doubt there isn't a ton of incriminating information on his though -- but I guess Durst figures if he's in a car accident and dies, the iPad becomes fair game to police if it's found in the vehicle. If it's in a shipping box with his name on it waiting for him at some hotel, not so much.

I saw DeGuerin interviewed on 48 Hours on Saturday night. Again, he repeated the claim that Durst had an expectation of privacy in that bathroom and therefore the tape may not be admissible as evidence. What's interesting is that they then showed this picture:

eEHljrg.jpg

...where I can clearly see him STILL mic'd up from the interview. (He and Jarecki are wearing the same exact outfits as the ones from the "Second Interview" episode.) So, at some point, Durst must have known they were going to continue filming and that's why he still had the mic on when he went to the bathroom.

That being said, Jarecki and crew could have mic'd him in the office, went out on the street for those "let's go to Starbucks then stalk Doug's doorstep" shots and THEN returned for the "second" interview (which is not how it was presented in the show). Given the hinky, and possibly misleading, editing on the series, this might be likely.

Share Post

Continuously edited to add more articles..

An interview (post finale) of my fave Jinx-er, Detective Cody!!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4116613847001/lead-investigator-in-morris-black-case-on-new-durst-charges/?#sp=show-clips

Jarecki "relieved" after Durst arrest--Wow, I wonder what the communication was to him after epi 5!!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/artsbeat/2015/03/16/the-jinx-ending-robert-durst-andrew-jarecki/?referrer=

Edited for a third--"Beverley Chills"

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/beverley-chills-jinx-robert-durst-andrew-jarecki/

Edited for another--an article shortly after Morris' murder--mentions of John Lennon, Bob's side fling with Prudence Farrow, and plenty of crahz..

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/21/nyregion/two-decade-spiral-into-suspicion-long-after-wife-disappears-heir-vanishes-after.html

Just tell me when y'all get tired of me.. ;) Plenty of newsworthy here: Kathie went to hospital after one of Bob's abuse sessions, "someone" broke into Gertie and another Old Ladies' Detective Agency member's house, blue light shining in Durst's basement night after Kathie disappeared, and as I read further and further--OMG, just read it all for yourselves..

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/durst_kathleen.html

Finally, if you all wonder why my posts are so bland and have no cool pics, I only have an iPhone for awhile, so at the mercy of copy and paste. I also hope to hell I'm "liking" all of your posts by clicking in the right corner of your posts and not reporting/getting y'all banned!! <3 <3

Edited by punkypower.

Share Post

Another roundup of questions http://www.buzzfeed....A5LK#.ohvYB191j

I just saw that too.  There is something about them messing with the timeline that makes me so very nervous.  I understand them wanting to build to a dramatic conclusion, and wanting to incorporate the 2013 arrest, but good lord, that timeline they portrayed was easily dismantled within hours.  I don't think they had nefarious purposes in doing so, but I'm going to scream when defense lawyers start pulling out editorial manipulations to cast doubt. 

There is no doubt in my mind they were on a victory lap until they abruptly stopped their media tour after the first few interviews on the day after the finale.  Did they not expect questions?  Did they not tell their lawyers how they edited the finale?  Why did they go from a full slate of interviews, still on tap even after Hurst was arrested, to doing a couple, then stopping because "of course we can't talk....potential witnesses".

I guess.....stay tuned?

Share Post

There is something about them messing with the timeline that makes me so very nervous.

I understand those concerns I guess, but I really really disagree that the show laid things out in a "precise order", the narrative hopscotched around from the beginning by starting with the last murder he was accused of committing, and jumped to his childhood, and Kathie's disappearance, then to Susan's murder, than sifted between all three incidents. What happened in the finale with an unclear timeline was just more of the same to me..

Share Post

Using flash forwards and flash backwards makes it okay for the filmmakers to completely lie that Durst wouldn't agree to a second interview until after filmmakers had the advantage because he needed them after his arrest?  I don't see how those two elements correspond whatsoever.  A lot of docs tell their story in a nonlinear fashion because of pacing or to make things easier to understand, it doesn't mean they can just make up scenarios.

Debrah Debrah Debrah http://jezebel.com/robert-dursts-wife-debrah-was-a-lean-in-poster-girl-of-1692691494

Edited by Morbs.

Share Post

http://theinterrobang.com/former-ada-jeanine-pirro-was-terrified-robert-durst-would-kill-her/

Interesting interview with former Assistant District Attorney Kevin Hynes:

In an exclusive interview with Ron Bennington and Gail Bennington this week on SiriusXM’s “Bennington” Show, former Westchester County, New York assistant district attorney Kevin Hynes said that he believes the wealth and power of the Durst family caused a cover up in the investigation of Robert Durst for the murder of his wife Kathleen.  His comments also seem to suggest that former prosecutor Jeanine Pirro may have had involvement in that cover up or at least may have been influenced by the Durst family.

Share Post

Jeanine is going to lose her shit when she hears about that quote.

Share Post

Hi guys! Been editing my last post with additional links, but I guess there's the limit, so here's another couple:

Robert was indicted on federal weapon charge in my hometown of NOLA yesterday:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-grand-jury-orleans-indicts-durst-weapon-charge-30233601

Robert sent a letter to the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-letter-20150409-story.html

Robert went-a-courtin' (and another letter)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-durst-relationship-details-20150325-story.html#page=2

Share Post

I just finished the recently updated version of "A Deadly Secret - The Bizarre and Chilling Story of Robert Durst" by Matt Birkbeck. What a riveting and well-researched read. I normally take forever to read a book but this one took me only a day. I thought it would be a rehash of a lot of what was presented in The Jinx. But instead It answered a number of puzzling questions that the documentary left hanging. Plus it gives a completely different perspective about some of the major players. (However, I don't want to give away any spoilers in case anyone else wants to read it.)

Also, in case anyone is still as fascinated by this teflon psychopath as I am - there's a Facebook group called Robert Durst Murder Trial. Looks interesting.

Share Post

... (However, I don't want to give away any spoilers in case anyone else wants to read it.) ...

If anybody else is interested, you can always use spoiler tags.  ;)  If it's just me, send me a PM, please.  I want to know what you found out.

Share Post

If anybody else is interested, you can always use spoiler tags.  ;)  If it's just me, send me a PM, please.  I want to know what you found out.

I'm interested, for sure, because I'll probably never read the book.  

So if you get a PM with the scoop, please PM me, too!!!   :-)

Share Post

Interested - maybe posting behind spoilers would be best? given the interest.

Share Post

I just finished the recently updated version of "A Deadly Secret - The Bizarre and Chilling Story of Robert Durst" by Matt Birkbeck. What a riveting and well-researched read. I normally take forever to read a book but this one took me only a day. I thought it would be a rehash of a lot of what was presented in The Jinx. But instead It answered a number of puzzling questions that the documentary left hanging. Plus it gives a completely different perspective about some of the major players. (However, I don't want to give away any spoilers in case anyone else wants to read it.)

Also, in case anyone is still as fascinated by this teflon psychopath as I am - there's a Facebook group called Robert Durst Murder Trial. Looks interesting.

If anybody else is interested, you can always use spoiler tags. 

Yes please to the spoiler tags.

Also, would you please provide a link to the Facebook page? I tried googling—nada.

Share Post

Thanks for posting the link.....There's a guy in the group who says he served time with Durst. Yikes!

I was hoping everyone would just run out and buy the book. lol But now that I figured out how to use the spoiler alert here's what struck me:   

Gilberte Najamy was loved by the media because she inserted herself into the story at any opportunity she could. She would repeatedly tell people that she was Kathie's "best-friend" and that on the night Kathie disappeared Kathie had been a guest at a small family gathering at Gilberte's. Well the truth was somewhat different. Gilberte was one of Kathie's many friends. But Kathie tended to keep her friends compartmentalized. And Gilberte was her drug contact friend - specifically cocaine. And the party that Gilberte threw that evening was not a small family function. It was a fairly wild drug party. Interestingly enough, the police never interviewed the people at that party. But years later, Kathie's friend, Ellen Strauss, spoke to a man who had been at that party. He reports that Gilberte provided Kathie with copious amounts of cocaine and booze, all the while egging her to go home and confront Robert to let him know she wanted a divorce on her terms. Many at the party thought that Gilberte, who was a lesbian, was in love with Kathie. So by not disclosing Kathie's state of mind that night, Gilberte was withholding crucial information from the investigators. She also lied not only to the police and the media but to Kathie's friends and family. Gilberte would tell anyone who would listen that Kathie's death was the reason she lost her business as a caterer - because she was so obsessed with finding the truth about Kathie's death she couldn't focus on her business. In reality, Gilberte was a convicted felon with a total of 6 arrests including possession of drugs with intent to sell. Gilberte also sold the movie rights to her "story" - meaning the story of Kathie Durst. When Joe Becerra, the investigator for the NYS police (as of 1999) told her that this jeopardized her potential position as a witness should the case come to trial, Gilberte became angry at him. Soon after Gilberte spoke to Jeanine Pirro, the then Westchester DA and complained about Becerra. She spoke to the right person. Pirro had been taking credit for Becerra's work and was angry at him for discussing the case in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine. Pirro wanted all the credit for the investigation although she was only involved when there was publicity to be had. So after Gilberte complained to her, Pirro had Becerra, who had worked for years on the case, taken off the case. Later Pirro found out about Gilberte's history as a felon and dropped her like a hot potato. None of this information was presented in The Jinx. (I later read an interview with author, Matt Birkbeck, who said he had been asked to appear on the documentary but declined.) Another bit of information i found confusing in the documentary was the issue of the doorman who said he had seen Kathie at the West End Ave apartment. It turns out that he was an alcoholic who was often not where he was supposed to be when he was on duty. So he either lied or didn't remember clearly. That wasn't clearly explained in the documentary either. The book also goes further into detail about Durst's bizarre behavior and the strong possibility that he could be a serial killer with more than 3 victims. But you'll really have to read the book if you want to find out more. 

And that is the end of the first book report I've written since the 1980s!

Edited by Mannahatta.

Share Post

You get an A++ on your report, Mannahatta!  Thank you so much for doing that.  I find it all so fascinating.

Share Post

Mannahatta, I ran out and ordered the book (okay, one-clicked off Amazon!) And DEVOURED it!!

I would say it was 98% different from The Jinx! So surprised at ALL the things I learned!!

THANK YOU!! (To the rest of you, Mannahatta did a FANTABULOUSjob of recapping, but I still think you each need to read it for yourselves--seriously!!)

Share Post

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/23/jeanine-pirro-robert-durst-book

So Jeanine Pirro is writing a book. That's rich considering she was never directly involved in any of the actual investigative work (according to "A Deadly Secret' writer Matt Birkbeck), and she never brought charges against Durst when she was the D.A. in Westchester County (according to everybody). Well, Pirro certainly knows how to make the most of an opportunity to promote herself - have to give her credit for that.

Also, regarding the Facebook page "Robert Durst Murder Trial" - I had signed on to it but after checking it out a few times I signed myself out. There were people on it who said they were writing to Durst in prison! And whoever is running the page thought that posting a contact address for him made perfectly good sense.  One woman said she sent him money! (I'm still wondering if she was just trolling the site.) A few mentioned "innocent until proven guilty" and pointed out Durst's likable traits. Not everyone on it felt that way but there was a weird fan page vibe to it that creeped me out.

Share Post

According to that article,

Because of Durst’s confession on The Jinx, the McCormack family is now able to legally pursue the [wrongful death civil] suit. (In New York, there’s a two-year statute of limitations unless there is new evidence, which the show provided.)

It also said Durst is currently serving time in a Louisiana federal prison on weapons charges, and awaiting trial for the murder of Susan Berman.

Share Post

I swear to God I never watch Fox News. But I was scrolling through channels and there is a special on right now with Jeanine Pirro called "Robert Durst and My Quest for Justice." It replays at midnight if anyone wants to catch it.

Share Post

Jeanine Pirro was just on The View promoting her book acting like she was one of the ones who did so much investigating into this case. She's riding on the coattails of work others did IMHO and it's using the fact that she was a former prosecutor who was semi involved to sell her book. 

Share Post

In today's NY Times:  Family of Robert Durst’s First Wife Sues Him for $100 Million in Her Disappearance

On Monday, Ms. Durst’s mother, Ann McCormack, who is 101, and three sisters — Carol Bamonte, Mary Hughes and Virginia McKeon — filed a $100 million lawsuit against the man who they have long suspected of killing her: Robert A. Durst, her husband. The lawsuit contends that Mr. Durst violated the McCormack family’s right to sepulcher, a rarely used New York law granting family members the immediate right to possession of a body for burial.

Share Post

The Durst family is in the news again today, as the NY Times chronicles The Durst Dynasty’s Rise, a Scion’s Descent.  Included is a photo captioned:

In 1957, the children of the developer Seymour B. Durst, from left, Thomas, 6, Robert, 14, Douglas, 12, and Wendy, 10, using 750 discarded aluminum cigar tubes to erect a scale model of an office building their father was constructing at 655 Third Avenue in Manhattan.

Share Post

Durst has agreed to be extradited (links to NYT for those low on free page views) to California in August to stand trial for Susan Berman's murder. He came to some agreement with the Feds on the gun charge.

I'm sure he'll walk again. DeGuerin is gonna pillory Jarkecki when he takes the stand.

Share Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/nyregion/robert-durst-pleads-not-guilty-to-2000-murder-in-los-angeles.html

Mr. Durst, 73, sitting in a wheelchair and wearing a neck brace, appeared before Judge Mark Windham in Los Angeles County Superior Court and entered a plea of not guilty. He had orange prison slippers on his feet.

Deputy District Attorney John Lewin said the state would not seek the death penalty against Mr. Durst. Both sides agreed to convene again on Feb. 15 to set the date for a preliminary hearing.

Even if Mr. Durst is ultimately found not guilty of murder, he will go back to prison to complete his 85-month sentence on the gun charge.

Share Post

Update on the case:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/robert-durst/amp/robert-durst-lawyer-slams-d-releasing-jinx-star-s-interrogation-n69788

Among the more interesting notes:

• Durst said he was high on methamphetamine during the filming of "The Jinx".
  • Durst told Lewin (the DA) that he couldn't give him information about what happened to Kathie and Berman because it would amount to "pleading guilty."
  • He agreed it was "reasonable" to think that he wrote the note sent to police alerting them to a "cadaver" at Berman's home after her murder. He also said: "Whoever wrote that note had to be involved in Susan's death."

What I find interesting is he is currently serving a 7-yr sentence for being a felon in possession of a firearm, a gun they found in his hotel room when he was arrested for Susan Berman's murder. Since it has been stated that he will die in prison anyhow due to his ill health, why not just confess and let everyone know? He is in prison anyhow, the death sentence is off the table and he got away with murder once before.

Edited by cmahorror.

Share Post