"Breaking News!": After The Show

I'm not exactly sure which thread to put this in, but Durst was arrested last night in New Orleans for Susan Berman's murder (pending extradition to LA). Knowing absolutely NOTHING about television production, I wonder if Jarecki could have enough time to insert something quick at the end of tonight's finale.

And thinking strictly of my own enjoyment of this crazy story...it will be interesting to watch this play out now, in real time, in the courts. 

Edited by hendersonrocks.

Share Post

Here's the spot to talk about current news on the Robert Durst and the cases on the show. Please note: episode discussion should occur in the episode topics. Thanks!

Share Post

You can't ask for better publicity! The headline in the New York Times is "Robert Durst, Subject of HBO Documentary on Unsolved Killings, Is Arrested."

Edited to add the NYT updated the headline to "Robert Durst, Subject of ‘The Jinx’ on HBO, Is Arrested on Murder Charge."

Edited by editorgrrl.

Share Post

Wow! This is about to get interesting. I hope the police take their time and are careful with the evidence. I also hope the prosecutor builds a solid case. The Durst money is going to be the biggest opponent for them. Egads!

Share Post

I love it when documentary film makers do something that enacts real change or action. Kudos to Jarecki and everyone involved in putting this together. Same for Sareb Kaufman, because I know how hard this must have been for him. I can only hope Durst goes down for good this time.

Share Post

With this development, I'm wondering if Douglas Durst is relieved (kid brother is no longer presenting an immediate risk of offing me) and/or more shitting himself (kid brother's end game might be to take me down with him, by showing what I knew about Kathie's disappearance/murder/etc. back in the day). Maybe both.

If Robert really does have brain cancer (as was reported somewhere, I think linked in another thread), maybe he's ready to go out guns blazing. Metaphorically speaking, I hope.

Share Post

"Robert Durst, Subject of ‘The Jinx’ on HBO, Is Arrested on Murder Charge."

HA HA HA HA HA!! You've only yourself to thank, Bob. 

I'm curious to see if the last episode contains any further revelations that Jarecki shared with law enforcement prior to its airing. I have to believe they were well aware of the "cadaver" letter matching the handwriting on the stepson's found letter before last week's episode aired.

Share Post

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/03/robert_durst_new_orleans_murde.html

[Robert Durst] had rented an apartment in New Orleans in the past, and fled to the Crescent City in 2001 while on trial for murdering his neighbor in a Galveston, Texas, flophouse.

To answer some questions in this thread:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/features/2015-03-13/will-an-hbo-documentary-finally-nail-bobby-durst-

The existence of the cadaver note was first reported in 2001. I don’t mean to brag by saying that I reported it first, because I couldn’t seal the deal. I had a sample of Durst’s handwriting from a lease he filled out in Houston, Texas, which sure did look just like the block printing on the Cadaver envelope.…

He has told at least two people that I know of that he has brain cancer. He also, according to sources, called Sareb Kauffman [the son of Susan's ex-boyfriend] after the last episode ["Chapter 5"]; Durst was not pleased.

Edited by editorgrrl.

Share Post

Oh, man. this article supply this bit of richness from Douglas:

His brother, Douglas Durst, who now runs the family real-estate empire, released a statement Sunday afternoon saying: "We are relieved and also grateful to everyone who assisted in the arrest of Robert Durst. We hope he will finally be held accountable for all he has done."

Well, say, you could have had 30 years of relief and Susan Berman may still be alive had you opened your giant maw all those years ago. Screw you, Doug.

ETA: And I'm sure he's also "grateful" to Andrew Jarecki who he tried to SUE in an effort to halt the series from being shown. What an ASS.

Edited by Giant Misfit.

Share Post

Well, say, you could have had 30 years of relief and Susan Berman may still be alive had you opened your giant maw all those years ago. Screw you, Doug.

ETA: And I'm sure he's also "grateful" to Andrew Jarecki who he tried to SUE in an effort to halt the series from being shown. What an ASS.

The whole Durst family, or at least the siblings and Seymore, are absolute scum. They know what happened to Kathie and they closed ranks three decades ago. Accessories after the fact, the lot of them. I felt for the nephew who was trying to parse together what happened, and Douglas wouldn't even give him the time of day. This was your sister-in-law, you piece of shit.

Share Post

His ASS needs a big fat subpoena.

Share Post

This whole new development makes me wonder... Do you think that Sareb would have found that letter if it hadn't been for the documentary? Because if he hadn't noticed it in the decade plus since her murder, it makes me wonder if he ever would have noticed or found it at all.

Share Post

Do you think that Sareb would have found that letter if it hadn't been for the documentary?

To me, Sareb just had Susan's things stashed away and didn't think twice about it. At some point, someone must have shown him or told him about the "CADAVER" letter (or had gone through her things and set the whole thing up, who knows) or that letter would have never meant anything to him other than just some old letter Durst had sent to Susan.

If anyone is interested, Jarecki and Marc Smerling are going to be on Chris Hayes' show on MSNBC tomorrow night at 8:00 (Eastern) to discuss Durst's arrest.

Share Post

Can I add another big fat WOW to this thread? I've been thinking about this show all day, just counting the hours till the finale, but I had no idea  about the arrest. 

In reading the NYT article, it appears the LA DA had the letter evidence a year ago?

The case of Ms. Berman’s death was reopened after the producers of the documentary contacted the Los Angeles district attorney more than a year ago to discuss new evidence they had turned up in the course of working on their series.

Maybe they felt they had to nab him before tonight's finale aired? Probably now or never with his history of flight.

Again, just wow. Last week's episode blew me away, but now even more so. I hate to admit I find him a pretty fascinating character, but I think his twisted arrogance has finally done him in this time. 

Oh, and I agree with everyone else. Fuck Douglas. Robert Durst isn't the only one in that family with major issues. 

And finally... you should've listened to your lawyers, Bobby. 

Share Post

What a conclusion to an incredible piece of filmmaking.  Durst seems to have believed that Jarecki was another Susan Berman: a sympathizer to be exploited; a PR-savvy confidante to front for him.  Perhaps this episode will give a hint of whether Durst was ready to end his life in jail, or whether he really didn't foresee that he might also be in danger from someone who didn't pull his trigger -- who never asked for money.

Share Post

Yeah I think that Sareb just had one box of hers that he never went through when he called Marc he said he needed a reality check, I imagine though he heard about the cadaever note he might have never seen the original until the documantry or hadn't made the connection. I imagine if he knew he had the envelope this entire time that could have connected Durst to Susan's death he would have either gone to the police or tried to sell the note to Durst, I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he did seem to love susan and kept her boxes for over a decade that it would be the former not the latter.

Share Post

We still don't know what was on those tapes.  whatever it was may have been the primary reason Jarecki put preserving evidence for conviction at the top of the list.

Share Post

With this development, I'm wondering if Douglas Durst is relieved (kid brother is no longer presenting an immediate risk of offing me) and/or more shitting himself (kid brother's end game might be to take me down with him, by showing what I knew about Kathie's disappearance/murder/etc. back in the day). Maybe both.

If Robert really does have brain cancer (as was reported somewhere, I think linked in another thread), maybe he's ready to go out guns blazing. Metaphorically speaking, I hope.

Now I wouldn't take Bob's word alone that he does have brain cancer BUT if he does.....

Perhaps the brain cancer could explain why he'd allow himself to slip up to this degree. I have no doubt he thinks he's smarter than everyone and couldn't wait to get some attention by doing these interviews. But he didn't do any interviews for years. He was able to keep his desire to talk under control. Sometimes people with brain tumors start to do and say things they normally wouldn't do or would know are not okay to do. Maybe the brain cancer finally effected his brain to a point where he could no longer control his need to get more attention, "outsmart" Jarecki & the public, etc. In the taped conversations he had from jail while awaiting trial for Morris Black's murder (articles about which can be found using Google), he knew when to catch himself and not say certain things. I don't think he knows that anymore. He didn't check the mike to see if it was hot despite having a hot mike moment in a previous interview. He even said to Jarecki's face while the camera was obviously filming during the interview that he is "complicit in Kathie's not being here."

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic.

Share Post

We still don't know what was on those tapes.

I assume you are speaking of what else was in the box with the letter that the stepson found. I hear what you are thinking, but I'm not sure how it could work.  How do you foresee those tapes getting into evidence? But good on these guys if they "buried the lead" of the smoking gun on tapes they just gloss over on their show.  I don't see them doing that...they wanted the smoking gun on their show.  And I think they ended with the smokiest gun that they had.

Edited by pennben.

Share Post

What would stop them from being introduced? (real question) As far as any of us know, the only person who may or may not have viewed them is Sareb. And As I speculated aloud on another thread, they might have handed the box over right after the envelope reveal, which might have been chronologically much earlier than it turned up in the finished version.

Sorry, to clarify I was talking about the VHS and cassette  tapes stacked in the box with the envelope. The film audio I understand would not fly in court, obviously.

Share Post

There's lots of reasons that tapes can be excluded from evidence.  Without knowing what is on them, I can't stab in the dark.  We were given no clue that the random tapes in the box mattered at all, only that the envelope did.  If it turns that the tapes are key, I will tip my cap to you..it was something I didn't think of until you brought it up earlier.

Share Post

I guess I just wondered why we didn't  get some info on what else was in the box. The answer is either that is was useless-- home movies and such-- or that it was was legally important for the contents not to be broadcast. 

Share Post

Yeah I don't think the tapes had anything to do with the case, she was working on various projects and Sareb described them as interviews with people and her memorial. It appeared the letter was in a larger manila envelope that probably contained a variety of different correspondance.

They mentioned in an early episode that the BH cops sort of ignored Durst in the early stages of the investigation which would explain how Sareb got the boxes after her death they had probably been ruled out as evidence. I mean it is weird that they missed the letter because of the misspelling but it was written before the Westchester County DA reopened Kathie's case and so they might have just looked at the date stamp on the enevelope the completely harmless note inside and moved on, yes not the most thorough of police work but given that even the WC DA didn't know what Susan knew and it was a decade before Black's murder not necessairly ridiculous.

Edited by biakbiak.

Share Post

Here's this morning's Good Morning America interview with Jarecki, where he (kind of) explains the timing of the interview (three years ago, he says--and that it was years after their first interview) and what's happened with law enforcement in recent months, including that 1) there was no coordination, and 2) he and his family have been uncomfortable as the end of the series came close.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-jinx-director-jarecki-no-deal-over-timing-of-durst-arrest/

Share Post

Thank you for this, hendersonrocks!  It does help clear up the timeline.  And the irony that the audio clip -- like the envelope to Susan -- went so long undiscovered, and so nearly remained that way. Two buried, smoking guns.    

Share Post

One more timeline related update, and some big press news too:

• This Gawker post (which I linked to a while ago in the episode thread) keeps getting updated as new information about when the various interviews, cooperation with authorities, Durst's warrant & arrest, etc. took place becomes clear. It's...messy. And might be creating some problems for Jarecki & Smerling. The New York Times is saying that the bathroom mic interview took place in 2012, so it did happen before the trespassing charge (i.e., was presented out of order on the show).
  • Perhaps relatedly, perhaps not: they have now shut down all press interviews. They're saying it's because they might be called as witnesses, but it seems kind of weird Jarecki would go on Good Morning America *today*, be grilled about the timeline, and then shortly thereafter realize maybe that wasn't the best idea. Official statement below.

Given that we are likely to be called as witnesses in any case law enforcement may decide to bring against Robert Durst, it is not appropriate for us to comment further on these pending matters.

We can confirm that evidence (including the envelope and the washroom recording) was turned over to authorities months ago.

Share Post

Perhaps relatedly, perhaps not: they have now shut down all press interviews. They're saying it's because they might be called as witnesses, but it seems kind of weird Jarecki would go on Good Morning America *today*, be grilled about the timeline, and then shortly thereafter realize maybe that wasn't the best idea.

Oh, that doesn't sound shady...at all. If I learned anything at all from years of Judge Judy watching, it's this: If you're telling the truth, you don't have to keep your story straight. So, now Jarecki says it wasn't "two years" before the bathroom recording was "discovered," it was "many months."

Surprised he cancelled his interview with Jimmy Fallon. I can't imagine that would be anything more hardball than performing a duet of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with him.

Durst had a .38 on him when he was arrested in New Orleans. Turns out they might keep him there to face local gun charges. Yeah, because that trumps first degree murder with special circumstances. Ugh.

Edited by Giant Misfit.

Share Post

Oh, that doesn't sound shady...at all.

Durst had a .38 on him when he was arrested in New Orleans. Turns out they might keep him there to face local gun charges. Yeah, because that trumps first degree murder with special circumstances. Ugh.

Maybe they figure the gun charges might stick....and the murder charges in Los Angeles won't.....

I'm also wondering if law enforcement in NOLA suspect that Durst has committed some other murders and crimes there and are weighing whether or not they have enough to charge him in these crimes. Maybe they're checking his .38 against forensics in some other crimes? We know Durst rented an apartment in New Orleans in the early 2000s while posing as a mute woman named Dianne Winn and that he fled to NOLA while on the run after Black's murder (from multiple newspaper sources). It seems to be one of the towns that Durst likes to occasionally call home.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic.

Share Post

According to this article in Vanity Fair, Jarecki is still filming. Jinx 2: The Jixening?

“Interestingly, just in the last few days, there’s been a flood of calls from people saying, ‘Oh, I should’ve told you this’ or ‘I never came forward,’” the filmmaker said. “We always respond to those things, because you never know what’s going to come out of those types of discussions. We’re always fascinated by it. So we’re still in filmmaking mode, the way we always are.”

Share Post

If Robert really does have a brain tumor, he may not know the truth of what happened. He might think he did it, when he didn't, which would explain the bathroom comment. Brain cancer has a way of distorting reality.

Share Post

I was really annoyed by the Buzzfeed article. It came off as very "Breaking news! Filmmaker makes film!" to me. It's like the author was indicting Jarecki for daring to edit footage, make cinematic choices, etc. Um ... that's his job.

Share Post

When police closed in to arrest Robert Durst on a murder charge in New Orleans over the weekend, they say they found a full-face latex mask, more than $42,000 in cash, mostly in hundreds, enough pot for about 300 joints, a fake ID, a real passport and a .38 special revolver with four live rounds.

Link to ABCNews story.  He also had withdrawn $315, 000 in a month. This guy.  

Share Post

Bob doesn't seem to go anywhere w/o his weed. Heh.

Does anyone have a link to a mention in the main thread about Debrah about to board to a plane to Cuba, when news of his arrest came down, and that he was going to meet her? I can not figure that lady out, they are estranged but rendezvousing in Cuba? I mean I know so money such wow, I guess for some people there is never too much money.

Share Post

Durst’s wife is the ‘mastermind’ behind couple

Robert Durst’s wife is “the mastermind’’ behind the oddball couple — controlling his real estate fortune and allegedly arranging for him to fly to Cuba amid a damning HBO documentary, sources told The [New York] Post.

Cutthroat Manhattan Realtor Debra Charatan “knew things were going to blow up before he was arrested’’ Saturday in New Orleans for the 2000 murder of pal Susan Berman, a source said. “She knew stuff was coming down.”

“She’d been to Cuba a couple of months ago” for a Jewish charity organization, the source noted.

“She’s very, very smart,” the source added of Charatan, who handles Durst’s fortune, estimated at $65 million in 2006.

“Any time he’s in trouble, she’s leaving and going to these places. She’s extremely cunning. People call her a shark.”

Share Post

For the love of God, someone please get Debra Charatan onto the cast of NYC Housewives.

Share Post

I can not figure that lady out, they are estranged but rendezvousing in Cuba?

Cuba has no extradition policy with the US. Had he gotten there in time, it's likely he'd never be in jail.

Which leads me to another question: why, for a dude that's gotten away with three murders, could he NOT figure out that the best hiding place from US authorities is OUTSIDE the US?! The fact that he wasn't boarding a plane in Canada to go to Cuba thirty seconds after the next-to-last episode of The Jinx aired, is beyond me. He's got to have hundreds of millions of dollars by this point -- why not just flee, buy a mansion by the water and live out the rest of his days instead of going OJ? Dumbass.

Share Post

Cuba has no extradition policy with the US. Had he gotten there in time, it's likely he'd never be in jail.

Which leads me to another question: why, for a dude that's gotten away with three murders, could he NOT figure out that the best hiding place from US authorities is OUTSIDE the US?! The fact that he wasn't boarding a plane in Canada to go to Cuba thirty seconds after the next-to-last episode of The Jinx aired, is beyond me. He's got to have hundreds of millions of dollars by this point -- why not just flee, buy a mansion by the water and live out the rest of his days instead of going OJ?

Share Post

Cuba has no extradition policy with the US.

That is not the part I didn't understand. 

Share Post

I can not figure that lady out, they are estranged but rendezvousing in Cuba? I mean I know so money such wow, I guess for some people there is never too much money.

Bob and Deborah Charatan only lived together briefly in 1990. Their December 2000 marriage (weeks before Susan Berman's murder) was never about love. They're no more "estranged" today than they've ever been.

Share Post

They're no more "estranged" today than they've ever been.

Oh I know their marriage wasn't about love, it just wasn't clear to me how close she still is/was to Bob, in terms of managing him and his money in the present. And it does seem like at one point (1988-1990) they had whatever passes for a real relationship with Bob Durst, despite not being romantically together, he trusted her enough to marry her and give her PoA.

My confusion is mostly because she seemed like an incredibly high powered successful lady in her own right, already quite wealthy by most people's standards, but I get that there's always the desire to get more have more be more, and 65 million is a whole lot more. Even if you have to defend a very black eyed devil to get it.

Having said that I loved her bitch in those police tapes, she was like a character in a Woody Allen movie: "I've never even HEARD of *Galveston*." 

Edited by blixie.

Share Post

Personally, I wouldn't have even waited for the documentary to air to flee. If I had Durst's resources and had done everything that he did, as soon as I was presented with all of the evidence in that interview, I would have packed my bags and fled.to France. They haven't sent Roman Polanski back, and with Durst possibly facing death penalty charges, there's no way in hell they would send him back.

Share Post

Having said that I loved her bitch in those police tapes, she was like a character in a Woody Allen movie: "I've never even HEARD of *Galveston*." 

So true. That line could easily have come from Cate Blanchette's character in Blue Jasmine*.

ETA: Cate would kill it as Charatan, but alas, the Durst movies have already been made.

*Edited to correct an error that this film buff should never have made.

Edited by spaceghostess.

Share Post

So little is known about Deborah Charatan that I keep seeing her name spelled every possible way, but I read at the time of the marriage she was strapped for cash.  I also read she abandoned her son, but they eventually smoothed things over and she started a brokerage firm with him.  Unfortunately, I think she's way too smart to ever sit down for an interview.

Edited by Morbs.

Share Post

but I read at the time of the marriage she was strapped for cash.

Ah okay this makes sense if she had rough patch financially than marrying Durst makes a lot more sense. I still wonder what "strapped for cash" looks like to someone like her though right? 

The Judge in the Texas case speaks.

Criss said she believes that Durst is the one who left the head there, and also that she believes that the real-estate heir is a serial killer.

That is super creepy if true, but man it also seems kinda unethical to be running around calling him a serial killer when he was exonerated on your watch, and while a new case is pending. She was much more evenhanded when speaking to Chris Hayes.

Share Post

So true. That line could easily have come from Cate Blanchette's character in Blue Dahlia.

ETA: Cate would kill it as Charatan, but alas, the Durst movies have already been made.

Blue Jasmine. Dahlia ia a different film.

Share Post