Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Regarding the applause, I was very surprised that people applauded during a funeral service, especially one in a church.

Share Post

34 minutes ago, bannana said:

Regarding the applause, I was very surprised that people applauded during a funeral service, especially one in a church.

I think there was the "encouragement factor" at play!!

Share Post

I didn't know that active military could not do certain things. That is very interesting. I thought that I saw one of the brothers in uniform applaud at that line while the other one did indeed sit stoically. So I'm a little confused. (not an unusual state for me!) When I watched Meghan's eulogy, one of the first things I thought of was "she is in the anger stage of grieving". I do think having to sit through basically 6 funerals in one week had to be awful on the family. I would not want that for anyone.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Tunia said:

"Crossing the aisle" in order to answer with praise for John McCain as a "hero"...

Flew 23 fighter missions over North Viet Nam, and was shot down by the enemy.

Beaten and tortured unmercifully, and kept in solitary confinement for two years, but did not disclose military information known to him.  He was left with life-long consequences - limited use of his arms and unable to lift his arms above his shoulders.

Although offered early release from captivity b/c his father was named the Pentagon’s commander in chief for the Pacific, a job that essentially put him in charge of prosecuting the Vietnam War, but rejected it because others captured before him had not yet been released.  He stuck to the military code so as not to  take advantage of the privilege accorded to him, at the expense of his fellow captives.

I'd say he qualifies...

ETA:  Saved health care for millions of Americans by turning his thumb down and casting the deciding vote on legislation to destroy the ACA.

I'll cross the aisle to join you on everything you said above your "ETA".  He was a war hero -- no question about it. As for the "ETA", he, himself, said why he voted no. It was strictly procedural, and he believed in the process. The bill was never analyzed by the Congressional Budget Office. That was the reason he voted no. He voted straight party-line on everything else these past 2 years. Don't forget about the Keating Five, too. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, AdeleDazeem said:

As for the "ETA", he, himself, said why he voted no. It was strictly procedural, and he believed in the process. The bill was never analyzed by the Congressional Budget Office. That was the reason he voted no. He voted straight party-line on everything else these past 2 years. Don't forget about the Keating Five, too. 

That's part of what makes America (already) great...we can have many opinions.  No, I haven't forgotten the Keating Five, and other areas where JM and I differ.  But we agree - war hero?  Yes.

Share Post

6 hours ago, Tunia said:

"Crossing the aisle" in order to answer with praise for John McCain as a "hero"...

Flew 23 fighter missions over North Viet Nam, and was shot down by the enemy.

Beaten and tortured unmercifully, and kept in solitary confinement for two years, but did not disclose military information known to him.  He was left with life-long consequences - limited use of his arms and unable to lift his arms above his shoulders.

Although offered early release from captivity b/c his father was named the Pentagon’s commander in chief for the Pacific, a job that essentially put him in charge of prosecuting the Vietnam War, but rejected it because others captured before him had not yet been released.  He stuck to the military code so as not to  take advantage of the privilege accorded to him, at the expense of his fellow captives.

I'd say he qualifies...

ETA:  Saved health care for millions of Americans by turning his thumb down and casting the deciding vote on legislation to destroy the ACA.

The last time he was physically capable of shampooing and combing his own hair was the morning he prepped himself prior to checking in at the Hanoi Hilton in '67, after what turned out to be his last aerial mission in Nam. 

Share Post

5 hours ago, suomi said:

The last time he was physically capable of shampooing and combing his own hair was the morning he prepped himself prior to checking in at the Hanoi Hilton in '67, after what turned out to be his last aerial mission in Nam. 

That's quite a thought, isn't it?  The things we take for granted...

Share Post

I liked the speeches by Obama and George W. It's how people who were Presidents should honor someone. I was very disappointed in Trump, but I'm used to being disappointed, and outraged.

Share Post

On 9/2/2018 at 6:15 PM, Wings said:

Meghan told her writer what she wanted to say and it was approved by her father and others, I’m sure.

I noticed her brother who sat next to Cindi didn’t  clap though mom and other brother did.   I am curious if there was some desention in the family about her eulogy.

On 9/2/2018 at 8:22 PM, WarnerCL45 said:

Do most people clap at funerals?  Maybe he's old school.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:40 PM, Haleth said:

When my dad died I had to hold it together for my mom. I didn't break down while I was at her house but I couldn't eat and lost 7 lbs in a week. But on the way home on the plane I cried and cried. Funny thing was I was sitting next to Bob Knight, the legendary basketball coach of IN Univ.  We ignored each other.  

I lost about the same amount when my father died. I also had to hold it together for mom. After the funeral and everything was over, I went to bed for nearly 24 hours.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:05 PM, AdeleDazeem said:

No. As I said, it's been reported that John McCain had very specific plans for his funeral. I dont know who wrote MMs eulogy, but, I don't doubt that she and the other family members (maybe Uncles Joe, Joe and Lindsey, too) had discussed it (maybe not specifics) with JM before he fell extremely ill his last couple of days. He'd been planning his funeral for months. 

That doesn't mean her husband didn't help her write it. That said, I'm sure the family had access to better writers. I watched it this morning and wondered if Steve Schmidt had a hand in it. Meghan's stank-face moment aside, it was some soaring rhetoric, and Schmidt is incredibly eloquent.

19 hours ago, longobongo said:

I didn't know that active military could not do certain things. That is very interesting. I thought that I saw one of the brothers in uniform applaud at that line while the other one did indeed sit stoically. So I'm a little confused. (not an unusual state for me!) When I watched Meghan's eulogy, one of the first things I thought of was "she is in the anger stage of grieving". I do think having to sit through basically 6 funerals in one week had to be awful on the family. I would not want that for anyone.

The other brother did applaud.

I don't applaud in church or at funerals. I don't look down my nose at those who do, but it feels wrong to me (for me), so I don't do it, even when everyone else does. I suspect the non-clapping McCain son (military codes aside, because who's going to discipline the late Senator's son for applauding his sister's eulogy? I don't think there is much of a risk of that, and if it happened, it would look bad for whoever doled out the discipline) just chose not to clap. 

In Meghan's eulogy, which was mostly about her, I noticed that when she did mention their father's effect on their lives (as opposed to just her life), she said, "My sister's life and my brothers' lives." It made me wonder if the older family and younger family are someone alienated from one another. 

The Senator wasn't around for much of his eldest daughter's formative years, because of his captivity, and I think he was somewhat estranged from his kids with Carol, until later years. It made me wonder what, if any, impact that had on the kids' sibling relationships. 

Edited by General Days. Reason: to remove quotes

Share Post

24 minutes ago, General Days said:

In Meghan's eulogy, which was mostly about her, I noticed that when she did mention their father's effect on their lives (as opposed to just her life), she said, "My sister's life and my brothers' lives." It made me wonder if the older family and younger family are someone alienated from one another. 

The Senator wasn't around for much of his eldest daughter's formative years, because of his captivity, and I think he was somewhat estranged from his kids with Carol, until later years. It made me wonder what, if any, impact that had on the kids' sibling relationships. 

I can only speculate but IMO Meghan probably thinks her and her two brothers are her dad's "real kids".  I know her two older brother's were his first wife's from a previous marriage.  He did adopt them.

Share Post

52 minutes ago, General Days said:

I lost about the same amount when my father died. I also had to hold it together for mom. After the funeral and everything was over, I went to bed for nearly 24 hours.

That doesn't mean her husband didn't help her write it. That said, I'm sure the family had access to better writers. I watched it this morning and wondered if Steve Schmidt had a hand in it. Meghan's stank-face moment aside, it was some soaring rhetoric, and Schmidt is incredibly eloquent.

The other brother did applaud.

I don't applaud in church or at funerals. I don't look down my nose at those who do, but it feels wrong to me (for me), so I don't do it, even when everyone else does. I suspect the non-clapping McCain son (military codes aside, because who's going to discipline the late Senator's son for applauding his sister's eulogy? I don't think there is much of a risk of that, and if it happened, it would look bad for whoever doled out the discipline) just chose not to clap. 

I, too, thought of Steve Schmidt.  He's a fine writer & speaker!!

Share Post

Meghan's older sister Sidney is her dad's real kid (by his first wife), but she's a Democrat, which is probably why Meghan doesn't think of her as part of the family, though her father appreciated Sidney's views on things and encouraged nonpartisanship, something Meghan should learn to do.

Edited by deirdra.

Share Post

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎03 at 9:57 AM, junebug said:

I thought Meghan sounded very angry in her tone as she spoke.  What I was impressed with is she didn't speak so fast with her high pitched shrill voice.  So she CAN speak in a more tolerable voice.  So let's hear it on The View.

It was probably easier for her to keep it together being angry; it helps focus the emotions.   

Share Post

22 minutes ago, deirdra said:

It was probably easier for her to keep it together being angry; it helps focus the emotions.   

Yet when she’s angry on this show, she can’t keep it together.

Share Post

Official Post

Reminder: We opened up the Small Talk thread to allow posters an area where they could discuss John McCain's funeral services without doing so in Meghan McCain's thread. This is still not the place to discuss John McCain's political views, the politics of his time in the Navy, or any other political topic of any kind. Please be mindful of that moving forward. 

Share Post

13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry for the exact same copy and paste, but I wanted to share:

I hope you all don’t mind me sharing this milestone: Four years ago today I had my right boobie lopped so that I could murder the cancer that was traveling and growing inside me. It was just about now that I was in recovery. I can’t bekieve it’s been four years, which generally, isn’t very long, but it is for me. I can remember every single detail of that day. What stands out most is me assuring my mom I’d be okay right before the anesthesia knocked me out, as she teared up and kissed my forehead. 

When I came to and I saw my parents, my dad told me she cried the entire four and a half hours, even though my OBGYN came periodically to let them know everything was going well. The reason I bring it up is because my mother otherwise is not emotional unless it has to do with my health and surgery is involved. 

Anyhoo, four years strong and in remission. Even though fucking chemo changed my hair so that I no longer have the thickness I once did. I know, I know. I should be grateful I’m still alive and relatively healthy. I can’t help it. My hair was the only thing I was vain about.😆😆🤪🤪

Here's to your continued good health. 🍾🥂

Share Post

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hope you all don’t mind me sharing this milestone:

Enjoy your return to healthy, GH.  We're glad you're still with us!  :-)

Share Post

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hope you all don’t mind me sharing this milestone: Four years ago today I had my right boobie lopped so that I could murder the cancer that was traveling and growing inside me. It was just about now that I was in recovery. I can’t bekieve it’s been four years, which generally, isn’t very long, but it is for me. I can remember every single detail of that day. What stands out most is me assuring my mom I’d be okay right before the anesthesia knocked me out, as she teared up and kissed my forehead. 

When I came to and I saw my parents, my dad told me she cried the entire four and a half hours, even though my OBGYN came periodically to let them know everything was going well. The reason I bring it up is because my mother otherwise is not emotional unless it has to do with my health and surgery is involved. 

Anyhoo, four years strong and in remission. Even though fucking chemo changed my hair so that I no longer have the thickness I once did. I know, I know. I should be grateful I’m still alive and relatively healthy. I can’t help it. My hair was the only thing I was vain about.😆😆🤪🤪

Hip hip hooray!

(And I'm sorry about your hair. I'm gonna be one of those people for one second. Have you tried taking Biotin, if you can?)

scorpios.jpg

Share Post

16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Happy Anniversary, GH!!   Thank you for sharing your wonderful news.  My husband is a proud survivor also.  November 9th will mark the 13th anniversary of his surgery.  He is doing well. Your story brings back many memories.  My most sincere wishes for your continued good health.

Share Post

23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

@ghscorpiosrule!  Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!  🥂

Share Post

Congratulations, Scorp, and continued good health!

Share Post

On 10/3/2018 at 3:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

❤️🧡💜💚💙🎉

B5F1FF67-DF30-44F3-BE8C-EC291B5BE2E4.gif

Share Post

On NBC tonight they aired an actual vintage episode of SNL. It's been awhile since it wasn't an episode from a few years ago. Tonight's episode was from Nov. 20th, 1976. It included this gem.

Share Post

Ha! That was the skit that inspired my Halloween costume last year.  I recreated that outfit from Goodwill.

Share Post

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

On NBC tonight they aired an actual vintage episode of SNL. It's been awhile since it wasn't an episode from a few years ago. Tonight's episode was from Nov. 20th, 1976. It included this gem.

Great one.  I remember watching it back then.

Share Post

23 minutes ago, suomi said:

Oh no! For those who haven't heard, Notorious RBG had a fall at work last night, went home, went to hospital with discomfort this morning, admitted with 3 broken ribs. :( :( :( 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ginsburg-85-hospitalized-after-fracturing-3-ribs-in-fall/ar-BBPtRf3?li=BBnb7Kz

RBG is a tough little bird, and she knows how much we need her.  If she has any say (and I'll bet she does), she'll be up and back on the Court in no time.  In the meantime, I wish her a quick and complete recovery with no pain. 

Is it possible this was just RBG's way of politely getting out of KavaNO's induction ceremony?  LOL

Share Post

ITA, Tunia. "Tough little bird," LOL, she would love that. Broken ribs are so painful. Welp, now I know whose DVD I'm gonna watch this afternoon -

"Hero. Icon. Dissenter." 

This was the best part of the article:

She already has hired clerks for the term that extends into 2020, indicating she has no plans to retire.

Edited by suomi.

Share Post

Wishing the best for RBG.  At her age, these things can be lethal, so good thing she is in hospital getting monitored.

Share Post

Any break is serious for someone that age. I hope she recovers quickly and without any difficulties. 

Share Post

16 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Any break is serious for someone that age. I hope she recovers quickly and without any difficulties. 

Yes indeed, that's what I meant, but you said better.  I also hope for speedy and complete recovery!!

Share Post

For RBG, I feel like quoting from Daniel Day-Lewis, playing the Native American, saying to his love interest, Madeline Stowe,  in The Last of the Mohicans film:  "Stay alive! You must stay alive. "

Or taking poetic license with  Princess Leia hologram message stored in R2D2 in Star Wars: " Help me, RBG, you're are only hope."

We need RBG so much now.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

For RBG, I feel like quoting from Daniel Day-Lewis, playing the Native American, saying to his love interest, Madeline Stowe,  in The Last of the Mohicans film:  "Stay alive! You must stay alive. "

Or taking poetic license with  Princess Leia hologram message stored in R2D2 in Star Wars: " Help me, RBG, you're are our only hope."

We need RBG so much now.

There, fixed that for ya!!!

Share Post

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Especially because broken ribs don't heal quickly even in younger people and she will lose her hard won strength and mobility while she mends. No exercising, having to move slowly and carefully. Two bouts with cancer and now a second set of broken ribs. Gah! I am so bummed for her. Light bulb! Let's send get well cards! We don't need her street address - when Eric Clapton's young son died he received thousands of cards from all over the world addressed simply to Eric Clapton, London, England. We can do this! Maybe not funny cards tho - don't make her laugh (ouch, no). 

Associate Justice Ginsburg

Supreme Court of the United States                                              1 First St NE, Washington, DC 20543

Edited by suomi. Reason: found the address

Share Post

55 minutes ago, suomi said:

Especially because broken ribs don't heal quickly even in younger people and she will lose her hard won strength and mobility while she mends. No exercising, having to move slowly and carefully. Two bouts with cancer and now a second set of broken ribs. Gah! I am so bummed for her. Light bulb! Let's send get well cards! We don't need her street address - when Eric Clapton's young son died he received thousands of cards from all over the world addressed simply to Eric Clapton, London, England. We can do this! Maybe not funny cards tho - don't make her laugh (ouch, no). 

Associate Justice Ginsburg

Supreme Court of the United States                                              1 First St NE, Washington, DC 20543

That is a great idea.  If you saw the movie/documentary, her daughter said they wrote in a notebook when "mommy laughed".  Apparently she doesn't laugh often.  In the movie, they showed her a clip of Kate McKinnon impersonating her, and I thought RBG didn't want to laugh, but, couldn't help it.  Anyone else?

Share Post

22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

That is a great idea.  If you saw the movie/documentary, her daughter said they wrote in a notebook when "mommy laughed".  Apparently she doesn't laugh often.  In the movie, they showed her a clip of Kate McKinnon impersonating her, and I thought RBG didn't want to laugh, but, couldn't help it.  Anyone else?

Just don't send any really funny cards … laughing with broken ribs really hurts!  A card that makes her smile would be better.

Share Post

Found a nice Hallmark card (with a cheery orange envelope) at the dollar store:

Hope you're feeling GREAT by the time you get this card

That way, instead of a "Get Well" card

it can be a "Glad You're All Better" card!

Sent it this afternoon. :)

Share Post

(The notorious) RBG has been released from the hospital and is working from home. 

Share Post

On 11/8/2018 at 12:58 PM, Haleth said:

I do too.  Now with all our thoughts, prayers, blessings, vigils said and done lets get realistic.  RBG is a bulldog, which i mean in the most respectful complimentary way.  She is going to work and work and work.  The Dr will prob have to order her not to work.  And i think all that will be to her detriment.  She wont heal as fast etc.  I know!  She needs divine intervention from Martha Stewart!  A Spirit guide if you will.  I call mine Jack Daniels hah kidding

Share Post