Small Talk: The Roost

Check in to follow Nancy's #1 rule -- mix EVERYTHING with your hands.

Share Post

I know a fair amount of TWOPers didn't really like this show, but I do. It's just nice that there's a show on FN that isn't open (cans/bags/bottles), dump, and stir and how to make a meal as fast as possible.

I hope for the second season, this show goes where The Pioneer Woman should have: gardening, canning, pickling, and home cooking that doesn't involve pre-packaged ingredients.

Share Post

I gave this show a try. I didn't care for the first episode, and was hoping it would get better. I didn't make it through the second episode. I don't care for Nancy's yelling at her viewers. She looks unkempt. My husband's comment about her is that she needs to wash her hair.

Share Post

I've only watched a couple of episodes, but I agree with chessiegal, I feel as though she is yelling at me.  Not a fan.  Just cook, don't yell at me while you're doing it.

Share Post

Hey gang, please remember to keep the Small Talk topic about things other than the show. You can start new topics if you feel we need them here, or if you're not comfortable PM me and let me know what you think is missing. Thank you!

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Share Post

I would have agreed with any of the posters before me, based on the first couple of episodes.  But I actually enjoy the show now.  Nancy seems to have washed her hair, become nicer to her audience, and focused more on recipes that aren't too difficult or too easy for the most part.  She is letting us in more about her life, her relationship with her husband, and her background.  It's really interesting and fun to hear!  Most of her shows revolve around her and her husband (a la Ina Garten), with no 109 children and grandchildren crowded around the table.  I'm beginning to like Nancy -- quite a bit.

Share Post

I only watch if I happen to catch it on.  While I appreciate that Nancy is a good cook, there isn't much that she makes that really appeals to me.  Most everything is pretty heavy.  

I did enjoy hearing about the acquisition of their farm house and how they built the large, modern addition with door clearance adequate for her husband.  I'd love a tour of that home and property.

Share Post

I agree with you, anneofcleves.  Nancy's food is heavy.  I've noticed that her daughter, Nita, and her son both have that "rounded" look, so I imagine part of that is genetic, but they've also been raised to be good eaters, I suspect.  I think Nancy's philosophy is more "fill 'em up" than it is "healthy."  She isn't overly concerned with cholesterol and things that I'm concerned about.  I'm still trying to find the recipe for that strawberry-lime drink she made yesterday or the day before.  It's sugary, but it would be a nice change from sodas and some of the other bottled drinks out there.

Share Post

I agree with you, anneofcleves.  Nancy's food is heavy.  I've noticed that her daughter, Nita, and her son both have that "rounded" look, so I imagine part of that is genetic, but they've also been raised to be good eaters, I suspect.  I think Nancy's philosophy is more "fill 'em up" than it is "healthy."  She isn't overly concerned with cholesterol and things that I'm concerned about.  I'm still trying to find the recipe for that strawberry-lime drink she made yesterday or the day before.  It's sugary, but it would be a nice change from sodas and some of the other bottled drinks out there.

Health is not summed up in whether one is fat or whether one is skinny. Neither is healthy food split up into fattening or non fattening. Trust me a home cooked meal consisting of farm fresh ingredients is far healthier than the chemical stew we get premade from large companies that slap a "fat free" sticker on the frozen boxes. I am not condoning being overweight - the truth is most likely if there is excess weight it is not so much what you are eating as how much of it. It is true that dietary fat is calorically dense but it also contains nutrients that our bodies need. So if weight is a problem, one should have smaller portions of high fat food. The food pesented here doesnt seem to be every weeknight food but rather food for celebrations and gatherings that embodies richness, fullness and nurturing. How boring would the holidays be with steamed boneless chicken breast and some lettuce and vinegar on the side? And who needs to consult a professional chef or cook to learn how to make that?

Share Post

The food pesented here doesnt seem to be every weeknight food but rather food for celebrations and gatherings that embodies richness, fullness and nurturing. How boring would the holidays be with steamed boneless chicken breast and some lettuce and vinegar on the side? And who needs to consult a professional chef or cook to learn how to make that?

I get that, but even if it's celebration food her food is heavier than many enjoy.  That's really my point.  If I've got a choice between a great grilled fish or roasted meat with some imaginatively prepared fresh vegetables and one of Nancy's typical meals that end in a trip to the ER with a gallbladder attack, I'm going with the former.  That's just me - very little Nancy makes has me running to the kitchen to try it out.  Amy Thielen's fare, while on the heavier side, seems like more inventive American fare.  And she speaks without an utterly annoying and affected vocal cadence.  

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

15 months ago I was obese (clinical definition based on my BMI), with unhealthy levels of cholesterol and high blood pressure. I was told I was pre-diabetic. I ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise. When I had to walk 3/4 of a mile and I thought I was not going to be able to make it, I had an epiphany. I did not want to end up in a mobilized wheelchair, diabetic, or worse. After 15 months of healthy, sensible eating and exercise, I am no longer obese and am at a normal BMI. My cholesterol and blood pressure are normal (as is all my blood work), and last year I completed a 3 mile walk and a 5K walk for charities. As someone who was overweight and have struggled with my weight my entire life, my concern with being overweight for myself was my health. It is also my concerns for others. People have to make their own choices in life, but it doesn't prevent me from keeping my own experience from entering into the equation.

The above leading to this - I am interested in healthy and tasty recipes. You don't need fat or sugar for food to taste good. If that's not what is being presented on a cooking show, I'm not interested.

Edited by chessiegal.

Share Post

Chessiegal, congratulations!!!   You must be so proud of yourself!  You should be!  After a very serious accident, I gained a lot of weight while recuperating, and I know the struggle it can be to take the weight off.

Share Post

Folks - we got a little off course and aggressive in the last few posts. Please keep in mind that people will have different opinions and different levels of investment in a particular issue. It doesn't mean you should advocate they move to your position just because you are passionate. Please leave a little room for disagreement and debate. When two posters start aggressively trading posts it can be a turn off for everyone else.

Feel free to report any post that violates our community culture or reach out to any mod with questions. Thanks!

Share Post

Hey Queasy-bo, thanks! I'll definitely try it. I'm due for another grocery awards discount pretty soon and will buy the ingredients.

Share Post

Am I the only one who thinks of Nancy and David as newlyweds?  I've tried to figure it out.  It may be the passionate kiss in the opening or the super politeness with which he treats her, but I always think that their marriage is fairly young.  It's always a surprise to me when Nancy mentions that they've been married for 20 years.

Share Post

Am I the only one who thinks of Nancy and David as newlyweds?

To me, they look like newlyweds that are still very awkward together.

Share Post

I think one thing is that David detests scenes with the two of them.  He's totally reticent and formal, which I think is "stage fright."  When he's out in the yard with 100 grandchildren and several children, he seems twice as relaxed and even fun.

Here's how I think the producers have worked it out:  They can have Ina or Nancy taste their own food and rave about it for 90% of the time, but, for variety, they need the husband to appear at the end and give his endorsement,.  So they haul in Jeffrey or David and have them rave.  Jeffrey can pull it off; David can't.  Since David is so uptight, it makes them look like strangers.

Edited by Lura.

Share Post

There is a rumor making the rounds that "Farmhouse Rules" is being cancelled.  Since it's my favorite cooking show, I'm naturally sick about it.  I've written to the FN and asked for info.  If the rumor is true, I'd like to start a petition to send to them in support of Nancy and her show.  If you would be willing to sign the petition, please let me know.  Thank you so much.

Share Post

Good luck, Lura.  It's disappointing when a show you love is cancelled, especially when all that remains is a bunch of dump and stir shows.  It also makes me wonder if Ina Garten will last much longer on FN given the scarcity of her shows.  Personally, I think both of these women would be a better fit on PBS...

Have you read anywhere that Nancy isn't happy with the cancellation?  Given Nancy's family business, and her age, I wonder if it's her decision?

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

Anne, I only know what was on Ree's board.  I do know that Nancy was almost cancelled last year, but wasn't.  Didn't the poster on Ree's board say that Nancy was getting Facebook fans to rally around her in some way?  I've read nothing beyond what that poster wrote and haven't read anything about a cancellation except for what the poster said.

I suppose it's possible that Nancy wants out, but somehow I doubt it.  She seems to have such enthusiasm for what she's doing.  Of course, that could only be an act.  I know one thing:  If Ree put in the time that Nancy does in preparing for her show, she'd have a show to be proud of.  She and Ina are both too busy selling things, IMHO.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Lura said:

Anne, I only know what was on Ree's board.  I do know that Nancy was almost cancelled last year, but wasn't.  Didn't the poster on Ree's board say that Nancy was getting Facebook fans to rally around her in some way?  I've read nothing beyond what that poster wrote and haven't read anything about a cancellation except for what the poster said.

I suppose it's possible that Nancy wants out, but somehow I doubt it.  She seems to have such enthusiasm for what she's doing.  Of course, that could only be an act.  I know one thing:  If Ree put in the time that Nancy does in preparing for her show, she'd have a show to be proud of.  She and Ina are both too busy selling things, IMHO.

Oh, I think Nancy is genuine and don't think her enthusiasm is an act.  I just wonder if the grind of the weekly show is as fun as being a periodic guest judge on one of the other shows, for instance.  Especially as she's almost 70 and already running a business with her husband.  At that point in life, if I were her I'd pick and choose everything carefully!  I really have no idea what the situation is, obviously, and am just speculating.

Share Post

I'm sadden by the news, but is doesn't surprise me.   FN  had a talented chief who had a show - Amy Thielen  who did Midwestern food.  She was so good, that her cookbook won a James Beard Award.  Her show debuted about the same time Ree's did.  Guess who's show FN cancelled?

Share Post

14 minutes ago, ariel said:

I'm sadden by the news, but is doesn't surprise me.   FN  had a talented chief who had a show - Amy Thielen  who did Midwestern food.  She was so good, that her cookbook won a James Beard Award.  Her show debuted about the same time Ree's did.  Guess who's show FN cancelled?

I agree about Amy Thielen, but her show was a joint venture between FN and Random House - one of their 1st forays outside of print into TV. Lidia Bastianich was exec producer IIRC.

As far as Ina goes, she has said all along she agreed to do the show to help sell her cookbooks. She originally turned down the production company that does her show (Pacific Productions that does Ree's show) - she wasn't seeking it. Ree hired a PR firm to get her show on the air. Big difference. Ina doesn't need FN. I think Ree does.

Share Post

Was this on Ree's Facebook page or something?

I checked the Food Network Gossip site (FWIW) which usually lists the status of new and current shows. I didn't read anything there about Nancy's show being cancelled.

Hard to tell what to believe. However, given the long stretch of time since Nancy's show's last season ended, it doesn't look promising.  Bummer.

Share Post

This is neither here nor there, but I've spent a lot  of time today reading about Nancy, and one thing I learned (NY Times, I believe) is that Nancy's been married four times.  When Nancy had her Mother's Day show, she had all of her kids on together.  I noticed that none of the girls even resembled each other.  The only two who resembled Nancy (sorta) were Johnny and Nita.  I wonder whether her family is adopted.  In all of the bios about Nancy, they all say that she "raised" six kids.  I think it's great if they ARE adopted because they've been so lucky in life.  She sure has led an interesting life.  David is several years older than she. ( I'd have said the opposite.)

I can't remember Amy Thielen or her show.  What was it called?  James Beard award -- wow!

Share Post

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, Lura said:

I can't remember Amy Thielen or her show.  What was it called?  James Beard award -- wow!

Heartland Table. She cooked good homemade mid western food from scratch. 

http://www.amythielen.com/

Share Post

Ming, Sara Moulton, & Ellie Krieger were canned by FN.  The FN crowd isn't interested in a good cooking show.  The shows mentioned all went to PBS & have found their audience.  Maybe there is a PBS show for Nancy & Amy too.

Edited by ariel.

Share Post

Thanks, ariel.  Now I know who Amy is.  I watched her show for a while.  I enjoyed parts of it but never really got interested.  By the time I thought I'd return to watch again, she was canceled.

I didn't realize until I read the NY Times article I mentioned before how much the FN takes orders from the people at Scripps, especially re programming.  What the high honchos say is pretty much what the FN has to abide by. 

I like your suggestion about Nancy Fuller going to PBS.

Share Post

Scripps and their channels are for-profit companies. It's all about the money. If a show isn't bringing in the profits they expect, it's out the door. Thus the beauty of PBS.

Share Post

It doesn't say much for our country that many prefer "cream of crap soup" casseroles to food that can be made from scratch easily.   I hope all these new boxed fresh food companies "at your front door" will show people that with a little planning you can serve your family good food.  When you become confident with the boxed fresh items, venture out for yourself & buy those ingredients.

Share Post

IMHO, I will never be the kind of cook who scoffs at people (or myself) for using a canned soup in a recipe -- or anything else canned or frozen. 

I think that some people think "cook from scratch" means never opening a can.  Although I make a mean Senate Bean Soup recipe that friends and family would stand in line for, no one will ever take away my love of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, served with a grilled cheese sandwich.  I also used canned tomato, cream of chicken, and cream of mushroom soups in a few recipes.  Nothing wrong with them, as long as the dish is made with healthy and fresh ingredients. 

Nothing pleases me more than a steamed vegetable plate of corn on the cob, asparagus, etc., served with a fresh fruit salad -- melons, grapes, etc.  I think we're so lucky to have these things available in the summer, and nothing tastes better to me than fresh.  It kills me, though, when some people apologize for using a canned ingredient.  I think cooking should be fun, as much as possible, and it's not much fun if you stay within a rigid set of rules. 

Share Post

On 6/30/2017 at 8:44 PM, Lura said:

IMHO, I will never be the kind of cook who scoffs at people (or myself) for using a canned soup in a recipe -- or anything else canned or frozen. 

I think that some people think "cook from scratch" means never opening a can.  Although I make a mean Senate Bean Soup recipe that friends and family would stand in line for, no one will ever take away my love of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, served with a grilled cheese sandwich.  I also used canned tomato, cream of chicken, and cream of mushroom soups in a few recipes.  Nothing wrong with them, as long as the dish is made with healthy and fresh ingredients. 

Nothing pleases me more than a steamed vegetable plate of corn on the cob, asparagus, etc., served with a fresh fruit salad -- melons, grapes, etc.  I think we're so lucky to have these things available in the summer, and nothing tastes better to me than fresh.  It kills me, though, when some people apologize for using a canned ingredient.  I think cooking should be fun, as much as possible, and it's not much fun if you stay within a rigid set of rules. 

I would love your Senate Bean Soup recipe, if you don't mind sharing! Thanks!

ETA: After I posted this, I got a nagging deja vu feeling that I have asked for this recipe before in another thread and you did give me the link, but for the life of me, I cannot find it. Am I dreaming? 

Edited by Spunkygal.

Share Post