S01.E01: Triumph Comes Home 2015.02.20

From Time-Warner:

Years after a mysterious disappearance, Triumph shows up and convinces Jack to attend an autograph convention.

Will Triumph's shtick be good after a half hour? Can Jack McBrayer keep up his "aw shucks" personality? Tune in Friday night to find out.

ETA: That wasn't too bad. Nice that they used New York Comic Con as a backdrop for the "autograph convention." I can see how Triumph can wear thin after a while, but I think basic cable suits him fine. Also, I liked the "live action" Triumph in the flashback. He seemed cute.

Share Post

Best line of the episode by Triumph was about Michael Winslow -- "Michael can recreate any sound in the world, except the sound of a casting director saying 'Yes'."

The bit with Brent Spiner at ComicCon was funny, but Marina Sirtis' reaction in the background was priceless.

I laughed when he said "Suck on that Chocolate Rain !!" to Zay Tonday at ComicCon.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

LOVED that the original flashback Triumph was an actual real dog.

And I gotta say, the "at the peak of our success" version of Jack, where he was blowing guys in the alley and hanging out with those terrible influences, Michael Winslow and Joey Fatone, was hilarious. 

It actually kind of works that the lady who plays June kind of has horrible line delivery.  None of this is naturalistic, so the very artificiality of her actually works for the show, not against it.  I mean really it's just a framework for jokes about McBrayer kind of being an alien, and Triumph endlessly insulting people. It doesn't HAVE to make any real sense.

A lot of people won't get this show, I bet.  Hopefully it gets the numbers to stay around though.

Share Post

That was pathetic. Triumph's insults were the only thing that made it tolerable, and he didn't manage to be as amusing as he was on Conan's show. I missed three or four minutes during the "autograph convention, so maybe there was something there that was so gut-bustingly hilarious that it redeemed the episode. But I doubt it.

Share Post

I just watched it for the second time and may have laughed even more this time when I saw it last night.   I think the corny line delivery, entrance applause, silly setups, etc. is purposeful, the show is mocking sitcoms. It kind of reminds me tone-wise of "Get a Life!" with Chris Elliot in the 1990s. What I find kind of endearing is that Triumph does seem to have a soft spot for Jack. "I'm proud of you, Jack. You do the work usually reserved for senior citizens, and signs."  In a way their relationship mirrors a lot of dog-owner relationships: dogs have affection, but can be very goal-oriented and focused (cookies!) when they want. Of course, Triumph wants more than cookies.

It always amazes me when Smigel manipulates Triumph to make him have facial expressions. And I crack up when Smigel can barely get the line out without laughing ("He has sex with Asian businessmen!").

And thanks to watching this, I caught the very weird and indescribable "Bag Boy" afterwards, and I'm glad I did.

Share Post

I still have these shows on my DVR because I enjoyed them so much. Yesterday I watched this episode and noticed it was directed by Thomas Kail, who is nominated for a Tony for directing the cultural juggernaut "Hamilton."

To accomplish directing the most acclaimed musical in years AND a sound-effects fight with Michael Winslow (a scene that still makes me laugh out loud)in the same year - that's something!

Share Post