Bish, Bash, Bosch! Past Seasons Discussion

<sigh> I guess that means I really should keep Amazon Prime.  Do NOT wanna miss any Welliver/Bosch.

Share Post

<sigh> I guess that means I really should keep Amazon Prime. Do NOT wanna miss any Welliver/Bosch.

I've been thinking about not renewing it this year, either. At least Hulu and Netflix let you suspend or cancel your account at no charge, then restart it. But not Jeffy!

Share Post

Speaking of Maddie - I was so irritated in episode 10 - a girl, who looked like she was at least 8-10, comes up to Maddie - a perfect stranger - in the playground and asks her to push her on the swings.  I realize they couldn't have a 5 yo do it, but still.  And then - Maddie requests (and gets) a "group hug" "Maddie sandwich" in public - ugh.  Yeah, I get that there was a profound message about childhood/family ties, but really?

I don't know if there was some profound message for that scene, but I understand the little girl was played by Titus Welliver's daughter, and his son played the young Bosch in the flashbacks.

Share Post

Though some of the styling choices are interesting, like how Eleanor appears to be affluent and stylish but seems to wear zero make-up.  Though Bosch's redhead love interest last season also seemed to prefer the no makeup look. 

Do women in law enforcement usually wear much make up?

Share Post

On 5/31/2016 at 11:35 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Welliver is a good Bosch but I kind of wish he'd lose the paunch and buff up a bit.  He's short and pudgy and has sloped shoulders and this show is so visual... it'd be nice if he was a bit hotter.  Or maybe everyone looks short and pudgy next to Lance Reddick.  

He's 6' tall. Even if his bio lies and he's 5'-11", that's tall enough. I know I always have to make allowances because I keep my tv screen set to full screen all the time so I can see better, but it makes everyone squat and pudgy.

Share Post

I think he just looks short next to Reddick, who's 6'4".  

Women in law enforcement on tv usually wear makeup.  And heels, which is taking it a bit far, I think.  

Share Post

On 5/31/2016 at 8:35 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Welliver is a good Bosch but I kind of wish he'd lose the paunch and buff up a bit.  He's short and pudgy and has sloped shoulders and this show is so visual... it'd be nice if he was a bit hotter.  Or maybe everyone looks short and pudgy next to Lance Reddick.    

It is the opposite of Tom Cruise and the Jack Reacher thing. Bosch started off as a Vietnam Tunnel Rat, updated for TV into being in a tunnel during the 100 hour ground war of  Gulf War I. And Tunnel rats where chosen in part for being short.

Share Post

Bish, bash, sexual attractiveness is personal and whatever. While I have definite issues with men like C.K. and John Thaw being portrayed as chick magnets on their shows, I fully buy into Welliver's masculine appeal. Sloped shoulders or not!

I don't think he's particularly short, though. FWIW, the Internet gives his height as 6'.

Edited by lordonia.

Share Post

Watched all of season 1 so far...enjoyed it. I love Titus Welliver, Jamie Hector from "The Wire," and Lance Reddick...very good actors and always interesting to watch. I love a good brooding detective show.

Share Post

On 3/11/2016 at 8:21 AM, KateeBar said:

I just wish the showrunners could have kicked Bosch's love of jazz to the curb. I can take the soundtrack's jazzy undertones to a degree, but please don't make me watch too many scenes in an actual jazz club. Gah. Personal preference, of course. 

I remember a lifetime ago a music magazine had a paragraph on a kid Grace Kelly on the school jazz festival scene. So she made it as a pro.

In the second season I was ready to start fast forwarding the story of the Chief's son until they finally combined the cases. The last episode seemed like an epilogue and let down. While the bang bang of J. Edgar and Bosch being outgunned and in a poor tactical position taking out a guy with a machine gun was exciting I was expecting a last call for J. Edgar since the scene reminded me of Christopher Donner when he took out one of the SWAT team.

I guess a quick scene in season 3 will tell us what ultimately happened to the wife and the mistress.

Share Post

I just finished watching Season 1 and I really enjoyed it. They nailed the whole LA noir thing with the music and the visuals. My only nitpick was the McClaren Hall subplot - my brother was director of McClaren Hall in the 70's and it bore absolutely no resemblance to the Bosch story. It was actually a place for kids to be housed temporarily while parents were hospitalized or incarcerated and it was run more like a boarding school  with probation officers. Also, there were no torture chambers.

Edited by anniebird. Reason: clarity

Share Post

On 8/26/2016 at 11:36 PM, Raja said:

It is the opposite of Tom Cruise and the Jack Reacher thing. Bosch started off as a Vietnam Tunnel Rat, updated for TV into being in a tunnel during the 100 hour ground war of  Gulf War I. And Tunnel rats where chosen in part for being short.

I will never ever forgive HollywoodMovieLand for casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Now, I'm reading the Bosch novels. Wish me luck!

Share Post

I'm re-watctching season two; you guys are right, how the heck did Brent Sexton get all of the pretty ladies?

Share Post

Finished season one a week or so ago and nearly finished with season two.  While I love Bosch's house on the hill and can buy the explanation for such a fab pad, it's not what I pictured after reading the books.  The house in the books wasn't nearly so open with entire walls of windows.  It had places where Bosch could hide when the bad guys came around casing his joint.  In this house, he'd be a sitting target.  

Not going to let this detail detract from my overall enjoyment of the series.

Share Post

Official Amazon blurb ... 

Angered by the truths behind his mother's murder, LAPD detective Harry Bosch struggles to find integrity in an imperfect justice system. The killing of a homeless veteran, the suicide of a serial killing suspect, and the high-profile murder trial of a Hollywood director pits Bosch against ruthless opponents who all threaten to destroy him. BOSCH Season 3 promises to be the most compelling yet.

And sneak peek ... https://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-S3-Sneak-Peek/dp/B01M5IQN6O

Share Post

My husband and I listen to the Bosch novels on audiobook in the car.  Titus Welliver is now the reader for all the new novels. 

Share Post

Oh, dear. I'm just digging into this but didn't remember the plot being a continuation from last season. There were some previouslies, but not enough for my colander TV brain.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Oh, dear. I'm just digging into this but didn't remember the plot being a continuation from last season. There were some previouslies, but not enough for my colander TV brain.

I am about halfway through and there is very little plot stuff from the prior seasons beyond some relationship stuff. The cases are completely new.

im als enjoying it very much. It's so beautifully shot and by focusing on multiple cases the pacing doesn't drag like so many other shows.

Share Post

I'm halfway through S3. Having cold excuses one from obligatory housework and encourages being a couch potato. No wonder I caught a cold. I was preparing for a Bosch Binge.

As long as the litterboxes are clean, the cats are happy to have me vegetate in front of the TV - lots of quality lap time, y'know.

I never actually had a mind's eye picture of what Harry looked like as I read the books, but from now on, he looks like Welliver.  Excellent choice, in my opinion. The cats don't care.

Just please, PLEASE do not have McConawhosis show up as Mickey Haller.

Share Post

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I will never ever forgive HollywoodMovieLand for casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Now, I'm reading the Bosch novels. Wish me luck!

I'm a slobbering, unabashed Jack Reacher fan from the original "Killing Floor" in the late 90s. That Hollywood managed to take Reacher from 6'5", 220-250 lbs., and a 50" chest and turn him into puny Cruise was an abomination. I refuse to see the Cruise movies and never will.

Titus Welliver is a better match, maybe not in physical size but he's also not a "pretty BOY" like Cruise so I can go along with him. I also like his voice for the audiobooks. I'm completely onboard with Welliver, now. He's an awesome combination of tough and tender-hearted (when necessary). That's how I see Bosch.

Share Post

Titus plays Bosch as so controlled and quiet that I kind of got a kick out of him rudely shutting Anita down when she offered to still be friends. He doesn't see the need for that, Anita!

Anyway, Bosch's relationships with Jerry and Lt. Billets are more interesting than any of his romantic entanglements.

As always in every cop show I can think of, the kids are the worst. They're never developed enough to be interesting on their own and only exist as (usually annoying) plot devices. Please continue to bite me, Maddie.

Share Post

4 hours ago, Ina123 said:

I'm a slobbering, unabashed Jack Reacher fan from the original "Killing Floor" in the late 90s. That Hollywood managed to take Reacher from 6'5", 220-250 lbs., and a 50" chest and turn him into puny Cruise was an abomination. I refuse to see the Cruise movies and never will.

Titus Welliver is a better match, maybe not in physical size but he's also not a "pretty BOY" like Cruise so I can go along with him.

They should have cast Liam Neeson for the Jack Reacher movies.

One thing I really like about this show is that there are several older, rough-looking actors, men and women both.  I'm not saying that they are unattractive, just that they look like they've lived through some shit.

Edited by DoubleUTeeEff. Reason: grammar

Share Post

Well, I got through it but not happily.

I'm not claiming it doesn't happen or isn't realistic, but I'm personally sick of stories about adults whose obsession with a dead parent takes over their lives. Move on, already!

I was a little let down with this season and am unsure if I'd be up for more. I feel like the entire arc could have been told in a 90 minute movie. Guess I kind of agree with Jerry that I'm not sure I want to be Bosch's partner any more; his sketchiness and lone wolf rule-breaking are getting to be tiresome.

Edited by Lord Donia.

Share Post

I finished season 3 and, generally, liked it.  Agree that I'm not really a fan of multi-season story lines about the dead parent, but this doggedness totally fits Bosch's character.  I don't care about his mother or who killed her, but I assume that the real conflict next season is going to be between Bosch and Chief Irving.  Or, as usual, I've completely misread it, and they are actually going to be real allies.  Also don't really care about the ex-wife or Maddie, just want much more of my faves, Crate and Barrell.

Share Post

On 4/24/2017 at 7:12 PM, Lord Donia said:

I was a little let down with this season and am unsure if I'd be up for more.

I feel the same way; this season had too many moments where I wondered if the director fell asleep or what. I loved the first 2 seasons and started reading the books after watching; now I prefer the stories as told by the author because they have more depth and detail, especially the Holland case. 

I like that Bosch is still trying to find his mother's killer; that's a pivotal event of his life and one of the reasons why he's a cop.

Share Post

I wonder if, when Connelly writes new Bosch novels, he, too, pictures Welliver now as Bosch, or has he had a clear vision of what he thinks Bosch looks like that he maintains.

(Just got "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" from the library.)

Share Post

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder if, when Connelly writes new Bosch novels, he, too, pictures Welliver now as Bosch, or has he had a clear vision of what he thinks Bosch looks like that he maintains.

(Just got "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" from the library.)

There is precedent for that. Go back and read some Perry Mason novels both before and after the beginning of the TV series. Once Raymond Burr was selected as Mason by series author Erle Stanley Gardner, he clearly altered Mason's physical description and speech patterns in the latter novels to match Burr.

As for Season 3, which I binge-watched yesterday (**SPOILERS**):

The entire KTK subplot seemed to go nowhere, but they're presumably setting it up for next season.

Got a kick out of watching the last two Blackwater guys turn on each other when things went to shit.

Took me half the season to realize that was Paul Calderón playing Robertson. Ditto with Arnold Vosloo playing Gomez. Also, I gotta love Gomez mocking Bosch's life choices when he (Gomez) had become a de facto hitman for that scuzzy director.

Bosch is lucky nobody caught his little camera setup on Gunn until they knew he'd been framed for the murder. Speaking of which, I didn't really buy his high-and-mighty act with Edgar when he found out everyone had been checking him. He (Bosch) had been going WAY outside both the law and accepted police procedure in putting hidden cameras in Gunn's apartment, particularly when nothing he gleaned from that would have been admissible.

So now Bosch wants to bring down a key city official for his mother's four-decade-old murder based on an innkeeper's fuzzy memory of that official using a friend's CI name to check into the same motel where the murder happened? Good luck with that.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS.

Share Post

I just finished watching S1 and S2. As others have said, nothing new here - ultimately just another cop show, but it's a good cop show. 

Bosch is so dry though, yet charismatic, very different than the over emotional cops we usually see on these types of shows. 

Love Deputy Irving and Edgar. I just wish the latter was written as Bosch's equal. Yes Bosch is older, wiser is the star of the show, but sometimes Edgar sometimes comes off as a detective in training, and therefore rarely has any valuable input into the cases he and Bosch work. 

I think what made S2 not as good as S1 was that it was so predictable. As soon as I saw Irving's son was undercover, and really not that great at it, I knew he was going to die. I also pegged Jeri Ryan and Brent Sexton as shady from jump. 

I did not predict Irving's wife asking for a divorce over their son's death. I understand she was grieving. I could even understand her needing some time apart, but divorce seemed a bit extreme. I wondered if the marriage had serious issues before the death of their son. However, from what we were shown the marriage seemed to be solid. 

I like the potential of Bosch's relationship with his daughter. She definitely could be fleshed out more, but I am enjoying the fact that so far she's genuinely a good kid.

Share Post

I finished Season 3 and I really enjoyed it.  This series is a favorite of mine and while I while I think it’s about two steps below the truly great TV series, it’s a really good show.  I like the detective work we see in it.  I think the show continues to make great use of its LA setting.  I also appreciate that each season is 10 episodes between 41-52 minutes long.  Not the self-indulgent, overlong horseshit of a show like Iron Fist, which is 13 episodes nearly an hour long in length.

I like too that the show has expanded the role of the other detectives and appreciate that they’re not portrayed as stupid to prop up Bosch.

I’m definitely looking forward to Season 4.

Share Post

On 5/31/2016 at 10:35 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I thought season 1 was a lot better.  The mystery this time didn't grab me and you knew as soon as you saw Ryan and Sexton they were going to be the perps, because they're too big of names to play red herrings or nobodies.  

Though some of the styling choices are interesting, like how Eleanor appears to be affluent and stylish but seems to wear zero make-up.  Though Bosch's redhead love interest last season also seemed to prefer the no makeup look.  

I only started watching this show because I find Welliver incredibly hot and will pretty much watch him in anything - even the last Transformers movie. 

But, I love how the show is shot and have stuck with it even though I hate serial killer plot lines.

Edited by pivot.

Share Post

I am so sad that I've finished the third season.  I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the second season.  The first season was like comfort food as well but I didn't like how much time we spent from the perspective of the serial killer.

One thing I'm somewhat iffy on is the fact that we have two cases that made appearances in this season but are still going to be dealt with in the next season. 

Share Post

I quite liked the third season, a bit more than season two actually.

Share Post

On 8/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, Raja said:

Upon finishing the 3rd season now Harry Bosch was also in the 5th Special Forces Group (Middle East and Africa focused) in Afghanistan in the early years of the war.. The villain Captain seemed surprised he was taken down by old school tactics, I thought that precisely what Army Special Forces were supposed to be better at as it aided in their training role for nations which could not afford what the US Military can.

Share Post

On 4/24/2017 at 4:12 PM, Lord Donia said:

Well, I got through it but not happily.

I'm not claiming it doesn't happen or isn't realistic, but I'm personally sick of stories about adults whose obsession with a dead parent takes over their lives. Move on, already!

I was a little let down with this season and am unsure if I'd be up for more. I feel like the entire arc could have been told in a 90 minute movie. Guess I kind of agree with Jerry that I'm not sure I want to be Bosch's partner any more; his sketchiness and lone wolf rule-breaking are getting to be tiresome.

I was happy that Bosch's mom's murder was over, it was a satisfying end.  So I'm not really happy about it re-opening and I doubt I am going to be as satisfied the way it ends up this time.

I have liked the series, but it has crossed the line this last few episodes to make Bosch very unlikeable.  The level Bosch has become holier than thou breaking rules while demanding everyone else follow them and verbally (and sometimes physically) attacking all other people and shutting them out when they don't follow rules has become over the top.  Yes he is in that direction but he needs to get over himself.  And demanding everyone no matter who they are including e.g. the chief, Jerry, Jimmy, everyone really, to go out on the limb for him no matter what he wants, what trouble it will cause, and what rules he has broken is a farce.  Who would put up with it to this extent and for this long?  It is pushing me to not want to watch if he doesn't get some redeeming personality traits, I don't care how many murders he solves, he is cheating, lying, breaking laws etc. to do so, it just doesn't work.

Share Post

On 1/4/2018 at 2:49 AM, Magic said:

I was happy that Bosch's mom's murder was over, it was a satisfying end.  So I'm not really happy about it re-opening and I doubt I am going to be as satisfied the way it ends up this time.

I have liked the series, but it has crossed the line this last few episodes to make Bosch very unlikeable.  The level Bosch has become holier than thou breaking rules while demanding everyone else follow them and verbally (and sometimes physically) attacking all other people and shutting them out when they don't follow rules has become over the top.  Yes he is in that direction but he needs to get over himself.  And demanding everyone no matter who they are including e.g. the chief, Jerry, Jimmy, everyone really, to go out on the limb for him no matter what he wants, what trouble it will cause, and what rules he has broken is a farce.  Who would put up with it to this extent and for this long?  It is pushing me to not want to watch if he doesn't get some redeeming personality traits, I don't care how many murders he solves, he is cheating, lying, breaking laws etc. to do so, it just doesn't work.

I have also been troubled by how he left Jerry hanging in then last season. 

Share Post

I want to make a few brief comments about the show overall and hope this is the correct thread to do that.

I have watched the first two seasons and I almost gave up on the show a few times. But I decided to stick it out.

I have a few real problems with this show. The first is the acting. For the most part, I'm afraid that I find the acting to be very bad. Most all the actors seem to deliver their lines in a very "wooden" manner. My opinion about this may well fly in the face of most other people and so I think it would be best if I say nothing more on this subject until I see what other people may have to say. My opinion may very well be in the minority.

The second problem I have is that it seems there have been a few major plot developments that were just ridiculous. They were so improbable that I couldn't believe the show runner would have let them be part of the overall plot. But again, I'd like to hear from some other people on this. Do you think there were several plot turn that were so unbelievable as to make them seem just ridiculous?

Finally, I have a problem with the lead actor Titus Welliver. I just don't find hardly anything about him that is at all charismatic. I can't seem to get interested in his character at all. I can't find any interest in what happens to him. When he is on screen for any extended amount of time, I just want to turn off the TV and go to sleep.

Am I alone in that feeling?

Edited by MissBluxom.

Share Post

The youth home. Bosch was in as a kid. He talks about in S3E03 to the tagger kid.  Is that youth home still in business in modern day LA?

Edited by White Sheep.

Share Post

1 hour ago, White Sheep said:

The youth home. Bosch was in as a kid. He talks about in S3E03 to the tagger kid.  Is that youth home still in business in modern day LA?

Yes. There was a scene there in season 1 where Bosch went back to the home looking for info on a suspect.

Share Post

On 4/21/2018 at 12:07 AM, pivot said:

Yes. There was a scene there in season 1 where Bosch went back to the home looking for info on a suspect.

I remeber that.  But I did not realize it was the same place.  

What youth home in real life is it based?    

Share Post