Scream Of The Banshee: Media Talk

I, however, am totally excited by this news. But I really liked Dollhouse, so I'm probably very biased.

Share Post

I liked Elisha in Buffy and Tru Calling, but thought Dollhouse was horrible.  Couldn't watch the second season.

Share Post

I was a huge Buffy- and Dollhouse fan, but I'm not sure how I feel about Eliza joining the show, as her acting skills are rather limited and as I don't really see her playing a character that fits into the world of Banshee, but we'll see.

Has Tom Pelphrey been confirmed as a series regular for season 4? He has been a really great addition last season. I would also love to see more of Afton Williams. Despite being a series regular last season, she didn't get a lot of stuff to do, but I liked her scenes with Kurt and Brock in the "Tribal" episode and hope she will be more heavily featured next season.

Share Post

All the major entertainment outlets are reporting that Banshee is ending after the upcoming 4th season:

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/banshee-ending-with-season-4-because-we-were-done-telling-the-story

While I am happy that the show will not drag things out, I didn't expect it to end so soon. I thought they had at least two more seasons in them, especially considering that they were just setting up an entirely new chapter in the show with Lucas giving up the badge. 

Share Post

I'm sad this crazy ride is over already. But if they wrap up all the mysteries, including Hood's real name, and give us 10x more Job this last season I'll be happy. Maybe.

Share Post

The question for me is who will be left standing after the kill fest. 

Edited by Hipshooter.

Share Post

Ya know, in this era of on-demand, I've found myself simply "losing interest" when something in one of my shows takes a turn for the worse.

I stopped "I Robot" when it started looking like a coy audience mind-fuck (emphasis on "coy" -- I really hate twee shit) and the women were treated like crap.

Unfortunately, I stopped Banshee when Siobhan was killed.  I hung around for an episode of two after but slowly, my interest waned.  By then wiping out Ukrainian Barbie's family (I had stopped watching by that episode), I saw the writing on the wall.

I'm not watching this show for soap opera.  I'm also not watching it for a return to "Hood and Barbie" because I (as an audience member) feel nothing between them.  Nada.  So, at the expense of Siobhan's character and actress who radiated oodles of chemistry with Hood and made the plot 1) advance and 2) complicated .... I simply lost interest.

Sorry to see the show go because it was fun.  I especially appreciated the "going out on a limb" episode where they had Barbie and Hood in the farmhouse realizing that their relationship was never to be what it was and it had to be in the past.  But that he is going to remain in Banshee to help protect Barbie and her family.  (Emphasis on help.  She's more than capable of taking care of them herself.  But that commitment was made.)  That dream-like episode which totally had the show and the characters acknowledging that gears were changing -- was amazing.  Smart.  Beautifully done.  And moving forward.

By following through with the commitment to Siobhan (or no one or someone else, because Barbie is a return to the past, and a flat, dead one at that -- meaning, "no chemistry") they could branch out to the really groovy plots of "Who is Hood?  What's his past?  What's his future in Banshee?  What do we do living with the Indian tribes?*  What do we do living with the Amish?  What do we do with Amish and Indian and non-Amish/Indian corruption?"  Lots to go on, there.

And then, crap.

I'm sorry to see the show as it was go.  It had already left the building as the plot moved back to the Hood and Barbie Show.

For me, only my opinion.

*For a great show, less cartoonish, on local communities with Native Americans, watch all 12 episodes of "The Red Road" on the Sundance Channel.  It's amazing.  Sorry it was cancelled too soon.

Edited by Captanne.

Share Post

>>   Not sure how I feel about this: Eliza Dushku Joins Cinemax’s ‘Banshee’

This should be good.  I hope she wears her cheerleader outfits.  Hope hope.

On the otherhand,  isn't she the first no-no-name actor in this series?

------------------------

Also, I have been watching Odette as a very frustrated astronaut wife.

Edited by oldgearhead.

Share Post

Oh man, I'm bummed about the Eliza Dushku news. I don't like her at all. I've never liked her in anything. :(. I'm even more annoyed that I just learned this will be the last season of Banshee :(

Share Post

can't figure out how to delete a post?

Edited by Hipshooter.

Share Post

All the major entertainment outlets are reporting that Banshee is ending after the upcoming 4th season:

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/banshee-ending-with-season-4-because-we-were-done-telling-the-story

While I am happy that the show will not drag things out, I didn't expect it to end so soon. I thought they had at least two more seasons in them, especially considering that they were just setting up an entirely new chapter in the show with Lucas giving up the badge.

More and more I am discovering that good shows....really good shows don't have more the four or five seasons. That is all you need anymore to tell a good story.

Share Post

This is true.  Other than Farscape which had the best season four of any show I know -- every other series of "mine" has imploded in season 4.

Share Post

Hipshooter? I'm sorry, what do you mean?

I quoted your post and made  a particularly nasty remark about her political views. I immediately regretted it simply because it's the polar opposite of mine.

I realize that every one has a right to their personal beliefs and tried to delete the post. I still cant figure out how and just removed the text.

I was fine with your post. 

Edited by Hipshooter.

Share Post

Banshee is doing a panel at New York Comic Con this October. Of course their last season is their first year there. I'm planning on going.

Share Post

Banshee is doing a panel at New York Comic Con this October. Of course their last season is their first year there. I'm planning on going.

OMG, if you go, please tell us everything about it. I would love to go, but since I live so far away, it's impossible.

Last January I actually went to that Hitfix Q&A thing where they screened the second episode of season three, with Jonathan Tropper, Antony and Ivana attending and it was really awesome. Antony even pointed at me when he was talking about how uncomfortable sex scenes were. (He was like: "Just imagine if I take you and you or you and you have to do a sex scene in front of this many people...blablabla). 

Also, please take pictures!

Share Post

I got the season two DVD a couple of days ago. I just love how the audio commentary of Ivana, Trieste, Odette and Lily is just a big love fest between them. It's always nice to hear that the actors on your favorite show actually do get along.

Share Post

Interview with Matt Servitto

Just found this on IMDB and thought it was interesting:

Hi everyone -- my name is Dave Macomber. For the last two seasons, I've been part of the core stunt team for Banshee, choreographing fights with the other talented guys on the team (Mike Wilson, Justin Eaton, and Danny Le Boyer) , training actors, and doubling Matthew Rauch as Burton, all under the watchful eye of stunt coordinator Marcus Young.

This year, during production, I decided to shoot a short film, and not only roped those guys into it, but also convinced the awesome Hoon Lee (Job) to participate. This was a full-on guerrilla shoot, done over a weekend, just for fun -- but if you like Banshee, you might like this too.

The short features the aforementioned Mr. Lee, fighting Justin Eaton (Antony Starr's stunt double), with cinematography by Mike Wilson (Ulrich Thomsen's double), directed by myself, produced by Marcus Young, and stunt coordinated by Danny Le Boyer (who's doubled several characters over the series run).

Hope you enjoy. :)

Edited by nosleepforme.

Share Post

This is a really insightful interview with Jonathan Tropper.

Among the tidbits:

I loved the show’s ending predominantly because of how dark it wasn’t.  Did you ever consider something darker or more downbeat?

Yeah, when the show first got on the air we had plans for a much darker ending, whenever we ended. But over time you become very emotionally invested in these characters, they become real to you and at some point you lose the will to hurt them and you want to kind of take care of them a little bit. When we first got the show on the air our plan was for a big Hollywood end

Spoiler

with Lucas Hood’s death, sacrificing himself for the Hopewell family. Over time what became apparent to me about Lucas Hood is that he’s never actually become a person; he was incarcerated so young and the minute he got out he was impersonating a sheriff, so he’s never actually become someone. It became much more interesting to me to send him out into the world to find out who he is.

On a similar note, how strong was the temptation to have a final showdown between Hood and Proctor?

Spoiler

Because I think a lot of people expected that but the fact that it didn’t happen worked really well.

We did think about it, because obviously Hood and Proctor have been each other’s nemesis for the entire show, but you know, they had two really big fights, one in season one and one in season three and there didn’t seem to be anything interesting or new about watching them fight it out again. What we thought might be much more interesting was thinking, what could Lucas do to Proctor that is worse than beating him in a fight? And after the death of Rebecca, dumping broken Burton on Proctor’s lap and leaving him with that mess seemed to me like a much bigger victory than just beating him up and killing him.

Share Post