What To Do With Breaking Bad Discussion/Spoilers

I think that's a good idea.  We can put BB stuff in episode threads here, just not in the the Better Call Saul only thread.

But an overview thread of all seasons of both, though I have no idea what you'd call it, seems kind of cool, since I also suspect some are watching BB now that they like Saul, or as you said, rewatching it, so comments about that as it relates to BCS seems cool.

Maybe something like "It's Vince Gilligans World, the shenanigans in ABQ"  or whatever?

Share Post

Do we have a thread for something like that?  (Honestly, I'm not even sure where BCS falls in the timeline -- it's before BB, right?)

I don't know the answers to your first and final questions, but Breaking Bad happens during two years starting in 2008, and BCS starts in 2002.  So Jimmy has quite a ways to go before he's the Saul we know from BB. 

Share Post

We don't know how long he'd been operating the way he had been when we met him in BB; it could have been 4 months or 4 years.

Share Post

Hmm.  So, okay.  Well, I just saw Saul's cheesy ads in BB.  Comparatively speaking, Davis and Main should be thanking their stars that Jimmy didn't do that level of quality -- he did a really good (and effective) one for them!!  Because, man-o-man are his BB ones terrible!  Plus, they should be glad they didn't end up on a bus stop bench.  

You know, it just occurred to me, would someone totally new to the show, BCS, even really understand why it's called "Better Call Saul"?  Wouldn't they be wondering who Saul is?

Share Post

You know, it just occurred to me, would someone totally new to the show, BCS, even really understand why it's called "Better Call Saul"?  Wouldn't they be wondering who Saul is?

Not if they saw the first season. Doesn't everyone new to a show binge the episodes they missed? :-)

Share Post

Do you mean first season BCS?  I saw it.  Was there a Saul reference?  There probably was a huge, obvious one that lasted for several episodes and I'm just forgetting it.  

For I am very, very old.

Share Post

Do you mean first season BCS?  I saw it.  Was there a Saul reference?  There probably was a huge, obvious one that lasted for several episodes and I'm just forgetting it.  

For I am very, very old.

In one of the early episodes when Jimmy was in Chicago pulling scams with Chet, he gets chummy with a mark in a bar and when they are talking (in an alley I believe), Jimmy says, " 's all good, man."  Just that phrase, not an actual stating of the name Saul Goodman. 

(And I miss or forget a lot, and am only moderately old.)

Share Post

In one of the early episodes when Jimmy was in Chicago pulling scams with Chet, he gets chummy with a mark in a bar and when they are talking (in an alley I believe), Jimmy says, " 's all good, man."  Just that phrase, not an actual stating of the name Saul Goodman. 

(And I miss or forget a lot, and am only moderately old.)

I recall a scene in BB where "Saul Goodman" was explained to Walt  as the name "...sounded Jewish... , and [would enhance] his reputation/credibility."

Share Post

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I believe he calls himself Saul and then says the phrase as something of an explanation to his partner. You're right that he didn't include a last name.

Share Post

He does explain it in BB - but I thought the comment here was that anyone who saw BCS season one would know who Saul Goodman is and I don't know why that would be the case.

Share Post

The first scene of the first season (the flash forward) showed him watching his old cheesy commercials. I don't think they showed them, but you heard a lot of "Better call Saul" in those. Maybe they also mentioned the last name. 

Share Post

Things keep going the way they are with the casting, we're gonna need to start a thread about what to do with CSI Miami spoilers.

Horatio takes off his shades next week. Calling it now.

Share Post

Damn it anyway, you just gave away the ENTIRE plot!!! :) Disclaimer: HUGE Horatio fan here :)

Share Post

Things keep going the way they are with the casting, we're gonna need to start a thread about what to do with CSI Miami spoilers.

Thats yesterday's news......impress me by predicting how slowly he takes off his sunglasses.  :)

Share Post

On 3/11/2015 at 5:36 AM, wrestlesflamingos said:

We have a thread for talk that does not have  Breaking Bad material, it's Better Call Saul only! The episode threads will contain Breaking Bad talk. Previously aired shows are not spoilers and Breaking Bad finished quite some time ago. It's impossible for us to create an isolated Better Call Saul experience because the show is a Prequel to Breaking Bad. The shows are directly linked. Its similar to avoiding mentioning Darth Vadar in the Star Wars prequels. It can be done but there's almost no payoff.

On 3/30/2016 at 3:17 PM, Captanne said:

For I am very, very old.

I am also very, very old. Old enough to have heard what DV said to Luke in ESB--unspoiled--in a big movie theater. The gasps, the gasps! And in that context, I appreciate the BB references in the episode threads because I don't have to use what little time I have on earth left trying to figure them out for myself. 

Share Post

I'm not sure where this comment is supposed to be... if not here, please let me know and I'll move it.

As much as I want to see Jesse show up at some point, I don't see how they can make Aaron Paul look younger than he did in BB. He is noticeably older looking now.

Share Post

2 hours ago, axlmadonna said:

I'm not sure where this comment is supposed to be... if not here, please let me know and I'll move it.

As much as I want to see Jesse show up at some point, I don't see how they can make Aaron Paul look younger than he did in BB. He is noticeably older looking now.

I expect that Gene's timeline (Jimmy/Saul as the Cinnabon manager) will keep getting longer as the season progresses. My guess is that Jesse will show up there in the season finale.  I'm hoping that Kim and Chuck both make it into that timeline too. 

Share Post

9 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I expect that Gene's timeline (Jimmy/Saul as the Cinnabon manager) will keep getting longer as the season progresses. My guess is that Jesse will show up there in the season finale.  I'm hoping that Kim and Chuck both make it into that timeline too. 

Oh, I hope so! That would be great.

I feel like Chuck might not make it, but seeing how Kim turns out would be interesting.

Share Post

I have ben rewatching BB on Sundays.  Jimmy seems so sweet, that I had forgotten what a horrible sleazeball Saul was when he was first introduced.  The actor had some more meat on his bones then and they really made him look greasy.

Not only is he very casual about suggesting that people be killed, but he actually tells Walt to look into purchasing some mail order brides from Croatia or Thailand, when Skylar wants a divorce.   He also seems to frequent a massage therapist who gives "happy endings".

I feel like there is no way he would be behaving like this if Kim was in his life in any shape or form.  Saul really is kind of a monster.

Share Post

On 8/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, qtpye said:

Jimmy seems so sweet, that I had forgotten what a horrible sleazeball Saul was when he was first introduced.

Just goes to show you what a good actor he is that he can make you like him as Jimmy despite knowing what he becomes.  

Disclaimer:  By "you" I don't mean every fan, there are plenty who can't get past how bad Saul is and will never like Jimmy, I just mean that Odenkirk has the ability to make the Jimmy character likable in spite of Saul.  What I can't get past is what he did to poor Irene, I don't think I'll ever be able to rewatch those scenes :(

Edited by ByTor.

Share Post