What To Do With Breaking Bad Discussion/Spoilers

Should you have to spoil major plot points from Breaking Bad when they come up in discussion (but haven't been explicitly mentioned by BCS)?

My hunch is no. But, power to the people and all that, is there actually anyone here who hasn't seen Breaking Bad and is concerned about spoilers? If there's a sizable contingent of people for who that's true, then people should spoiler-tag stuff.

Share Post

My answer was "Watched it all, duh." 

I think that, right now, the two shows are firmly connected, and I think that it's too much to remember -- and too restrictive for conversations to flow -- that we can freely discuss BCS in assorted threads but that we can't discuss some things that happened in Breaking Bad.  

It's possible that specific Breaking Bad plot points may not have to be spoiled or even brought up too much if BCS eventually veers away from the Breaking Bad references. 

Needless to say, I think that any actual Spoiler thread should be uninhibited and unrestrained. 

Edited by Sherry67.

Share Post

I wasn't aware we needed to worry about spoilers on a show that ended over a year ago. 

Edited by CynicalGirl.

Share Post

I appreciate Dougal taking the time to ask. All too often, a vocal minority can ruin things for everybody else.

Share Post

We don't.  It would be silly.

On ANY show, let alone a spinoff show.

I disagree with the latter comment... I'd consider it generally polite not to discuss spoilers about a show in any topic not explicitly devoted to that show.  It's silly to expect everyone to watch a show as it airs and expect that if they wait a few years to start watching, they forfeit any expectation not to be spoiled.  That being said... I find it hard to imagine folks watching Better Call Saul with enough involvement to want to discuss it on message boards without having first watched Breaking Bad... so I think a spinoff show is an exception.

Share Post

It would never occur to me to be worried about mentioning a show that's been off the air for a year.  For example, I compared a recent scene on Scandal as being a direct steal from Alias.  Shows, and actors, and scenes are compared all the time, as are directors, themes...

I just had a thought, if someone didn't want Breaking Bad spoilers, why would they click on this topic?  They might think it's a thread containing BB spoilers.  ??

Anyway, wasn't trying to be a smart ass.  I know people watch shows later.  I didn't watch Breaking Bad in real time either, but I just kind of figure once a show (or even a season) is over, I take my chances on message boards.

Edited by Umbelina.

Share Post

The general guideline for the site is to try to avoid big spoilers for shows other than the one whose forum you're in, at least for a few years. There's not a formal policy about it as far as I know, but that's the polite thing to do.

In the case of a spinoff, though, it really seems ungainly to try to enforce that, and barely anyone in the episode threads and nobody here has said they haven't watched Breaking Bad. So, let's go with the obvious choice and declare no need for spoiler tags for Breaking Bad here, for anything.

Share Post

It would never occur to me to be worried about mentioning a show that's been off the air for a year.  For example, I compared a recent scene on Scandal as being a direct steal from Alias.  Shows, and actors, and scenes are compared all the time, as are directors, themes...

I just had a thought, if someone didn't want Breaking Bad spoilers, why would they click on this topic?  They might think it's a thread containing BB spoilers.  ??

Anyway, wasn't trying to be a smart ass.  I know people watch shows later.  I didn't watch Breaking Bad in real time either, but I just kind of figure once a show (or even a season) is over, I take my chances on message boards.

We're in agreement that someone reading a Better Call Saul forum should have a reasonable expectation of finding major plot points in Breaking Bad discussed, because it is a spinoff.  But should someone expect major spoilers from The Wire, or Sons of Anarchy, just to name a couple of examples, in a Better Call Saul forum?  I had stumbled upon a major spoiler in a thread for a show I had an interest in watching (and have since watched) in a Race and Ethnicity in Television thread... yes I am taking chances on message boards by not devoting my life to watching every show I would ever have any interest in watching before the season is over.  But is it considerably more polite for other posters to hide major spoilers for off topic shows in spoiler tags?  Yes, plainly and absolutely.

Share Post

I've seen at least one person commenting in the Ep2 'Mijo' thread that they were watching BCS but had never seen BB. So, unlikely, but not impossible.

There seem to be a lot of people who just can't cut the cord to BB, and don't want to discuss BCS as a show in it's own right. Considering that this  is a show that involves only secondary characters from BB, it shouldn't be too hard to keep major plot points from that show out of the conversation. Perhaps someone should start a specific thread for that purpose.

Share Post

These are the same characters, the same writers, the same director, the same location, the same directors of photography.

While I do understand that not mentioning major things like who dies, or how, in BB would be best, I just can't see prohibiting all mention of BB in these threads, and then you get into convoluted rules about what is and isn't a spoiler, which would be a mess.

For example, I just posted in the second episode thread about the method of storytelling, that is something you kind of have to get used to, but then will probably end up loving.  It's a BB team style, and yes, it can SEEM slow to those used to dialogue packed storytelling. 

I suppose doing two show threads is possible.  One for people who HAVE watched BB, one for those who have not is feasible, but then do you do that for each character as well?  Frankly, so far, we don't seem to have the traffic needed to pull that off.  While I understand the concerns, I see the solution as being a bigger mess and stifling conversation.

Share Post

I suppose doing two show threads is possible.  One for people who HAVE watched BB, one for those who have not is feasible, but then do you do that for each character as well?  Frankly, so far, we don't seem to have the traffic needed to pull that off.  While I understand the concerns, I see the solution as being a bigger mess and stifling conversation.

The Game of Thrones forum does that split successfully, but there's both a ton of people there in both camps, and every episode has something book-related worth talking about. We briefly tried the same thing in Walking Dead, but there aren't enough comic readers there, and many episodes don't have enough comic-related material to make the comic thread have any significant discussion. I'd imagine that there are so few non-BB watchers here that there just wouldn't be enough people to make the critical mass, or if we tried to do "any mention of BB should go in the BB thread", then the BB thread probably wouldn't have enough to get the thread off the ground.

If enough people say they're interested in that, we could try it. But I think you're right that the solution is far more trouble than it's worth.

Share Post

For now, any and all Breaking Bad discussion is allowed anywhere (except the BB-free thread). If you have opinions about this, this is the place to talk about them, and we're definitely open to changing the policy if it seems needed.

Edited by Dougal.

Share Post

One of the most interesting things about Better Call Saul to me so far is the new light in which it might cast the characters and events of the Breaking Bad timeline.  It has already begun to do so, and I would expect that trend to continue.

Having a non-BB thread would be great, but banning mention of BB in any threads might be overly stifling to the discussion.  Is it possible to discuss Joanie Loves Chachi without any talk of the folks back in Milwaukee?

Share Post

I watched BB in real time and loved it but that doesn't mean I want to reminisce & reexamine it every week either! It's a fine line I know, but sometimes it feels like BCS is just an afterthought in some posts.

Odds are I'll just read the first 30 or so posts in the episode threads and then abandon it once the BB comparisons start.

Share Post

Is it possible to discuss Joanie Loves Chachi without any talk of the folks back in Milwaukee?

I've got no dog in this hunt, but this sentence simply cannot go unacknowledged. I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate it for front-page status, in fact.

Share Post

I watched BB in real time and loved it but that doesn't mean I want to reminisce & reexamine it every week either! It's a fine line I know, but sometimes it feels like BCS is just an afterthought in some posts.

Odds are I'll just read the first 30 or so posts in the episode threads and then abandon it once the BB comparisons start.

It's not about reexamining and reminiscing about Breaking BadBetter Call Saul, so far, is not quite detached enough from BB to be discussed without BB being included in some way.  Vince Gilligan has created a show that features several characters from BB, and he included many visual tips of the hat to BB in the first two episodes.  

Inevitably, some of the future BCS plot developments that occur in relation to some of those BB characters will probably have much more potency, meaning and impact because of the fact that we (the BB viewers) know what eventually becomes of said characters in BB.  It will be impossible to ever completely separate one show from the other, I believe, and certainly not at this early stage of the game -- when the hopes are that the massive BB fan base is going to want to watch BCS.

When talking about Tuco in the first 2 episodes of BCS, questions and comments will come to mind about Tuco in BB. It's just the natural flow of thought and conversation.

Share Post

Nice thread title change!

One thing that might help is a thread that is specifically for talking about Breaking Bad as it relates to BCS.  Not that it would limit all spoilerish talk, but it might corral it a little bit.

I think the showrunners will continue to drop BB easter eggs. 

Breaking Bad stuff on Better Call Saul!  Yeah, I suck at thread titles, which is why I don't start threads/

Share Post

This ship may have already sailed, because I've now read at least a couple posts that discuss almost all the characters' deaths in BB. It's a shame.

Share Post

I suppose I'm horribly selfish, but I would rather be able to freely and openly talk about the development of the BCS/BB characters and the 'inside' references to BB that pop up on BCS than to have to be very careful (and inhibited) and worry about not spoiling anything for someone else in an episode thread.  

I think that having a separate thread for the people who have not watched BB at all is a good idea -- because they truly can separate one show from the other due to only having experience with BCS -- but to then have another separate thread to isolate the discussion of the events on BCS as they relate to BB (and vice versa) is going to be too confusing and overwhelming for me, I think.   I'm old and feeble.  There's only so much thread jumping I can do!

Share Post

[snip]

I tend to agree with this line of thinking.  Breaking Bad ended almost two years ago and while I'll go along with the polite thing and try not to reveal anything TOO big, the fact is that BCS is a spinoff show, starring several integral characters from BB.  Comparison and discussion are not only inevitable, they seem to be almost encouraged by Vince Gilligan and staff.  So, yeah, you take your chances on a message board about a spinoff of an extremely popular show.

Share Post

I watched BB, loved it, discussed it online, and so on. I don't know if I personally spoiled anything here for non-BB viewers, but I'm going to try to pay attention to what I post re BB. When a BB character appears on BCS for the first time, it's hard not to express excitement and maybe briefly reminisce about that character. Same thing with locations, dialog, props, etc. Anyway, as I said, I'll be more aware of what I'm posting re BB spoilers.

Share Post

Yes I am that person! To me it's the same as people wanting to discuss game of thrones with people who haven't read the books. I don't want people to have to post spoilers ridiculously just a safe place to discuss the show I am watching not the one I havent.

And I am watching because it's a good show, why is that hard to understand? I'm watching it on its own merits, as someone who's recently done an interview with th creators believe me amc are hoping to attract people who haven't already watched all of BB. They've succeeded with me. I like it a lot and have died it to the DVr. But it doesn't mean im going to marathon BB now.

So, this board isn't t for me. If another is created sometime in the future I'll return but it seems every other post points to a minor character who will be major or a reference from the series. Saying stuff about what mike will be for example AHS zero bearing on what happended in the episode. I guess I'm very much in the minority.

ETA: taking chances on any board? I think that's unfair. Lots of shows spin off of others without this degree of scrutiny. If I had wanted to read a BB board I'd have gone there. I will read recaps on other sites.

Edited by lucindabelle.

Share Post

I understand there are bound to be references to the parent show on this board, but it seems a lot of the very early discussion of Episode 1 was more about BB than about BCS. I've watched BB, so spoilers aren't a problem for me. I just hope there can be more discussion of this show on (as lucindabelle says) its own merits. If the BB tie-in is the only interesting thing about BCS, it's not going to last long. So far, I happen to think the show is plenty interesting in itself.

Point taken that anyone reading TV message boards (heck, anyone on the internet) is at risk of learning spoilers about an older popular show. And I do want us to be able to talk freely. But maybe a no-spoilers/no-BB thread actually could work for newcomers? The more, the merrier, is what I say. Also, the more talk around a show, the better its chances of surviving.

Edited by peggy06.

Share Post

Yes I am that person! To me it's the same as people wanting to discuss game of thrones with people who haven't read the books. I don't want people to have to post spoilers ridiculously just a safe place to discuss the show I am watching not the one I havent.

And I am watching because it's a good show, why is that hard to understand? I'm watching it on its own merits, as someone who's recently done an interview with th creators believe me amc are hoping to attract people who haven't already watched all of BB. They've succeeded with me. I like it a lot and have died it to the DVr. But it doesn't mean im going to marathon BB now.

So, this board isn't t for me. If another is created sometime in the future I'll return but it seems every other post points to a minor character who will be major or a reference from the series. Saying stuff about what mike will be for example AHS zero bearing on what happended in the episode. I guess I'm very much in the minority.

ETA: taking chances on any board? I think that's unfair. Lots of shows spin off of others without this degree of scrutiny. If I had wanted to read a BB board I'd have gone there. I will read recaps on other sites.

Of course the creators of BCS are hoping to attract people who haven't seen BB as well, but they are also hoping to hook in allllllll of the people who watched BB.  Hence, the bountiful references to BB all through the first 2 BCS episodes (many of which would only be known by BB watchers).

And 'future Mike' in BB absolutely has a connection to/bearing on 'past Mike' in BCS, even if it's just a thought process or series of questions in BB viewers' minds.   Future Mike of BB alluded to events that happened in the past.  We are now seeing the Mike of the past.  So far -- and this could change as the series rolls along and becomes more distant from BB -- Mike is one of the main subjects that would spawn conversation in BCS episode discussions (until BCS fully and totally separates itself from BB, which it has not done thus far), in terms of his presence on BB and how past Mike relates to future Mike.    Those of us who followed Mike's whole trajectory through the entire run of Breaking Bad would have automatically wondered why he was where he was in Better Call Saul, and if any of his BB connections were 'connected' to him in the BCS timeline.  

We (those of us who watched BB) can't pretend that we don't know who Mike is, or know who Tuco is, or know who Saul is, for that matter (though we are fascinated to learn their back stories and what led them to BB).   The only people who can go into BCS with a completely blank slate are the ones who didn't follow BB.   And that's why the questions, references and discussion of BB will sometimes (not always) come up within a BCS episode thread -- because we know those characters' future stories, and now we might wonder if some of the seeds of future BB events were planted in the past, if they are now being revealed on BCS, and what they might mean. 

I really do think there should be a totally separate thread for BCS viewers who did not follow BB.

Edited by Sherry67.

Share Post

I think that would be fine, and if the thread was very active, and grew, then it could be expanded.  For now though, maybe just ONE all-encompassing thread, for all the episodes, characters, etc.  If it has a lot of posters, re-evaluate.

The Breaking Bad Free Zone, Violators will be dissolved in Acid. 

(oops, that's a spoiler)

Better Call Saul ONLY, Any Breaking Bad Talk Prohibited Here.

Edited by Umbelina.

Share Post

So does Dougal's verdict of February 11th still stand?  I'm a BB alum and just want to know the rules for posting on the BCS threads.  I'm confused here. 

Share Post

The Game of Thrones forum does that split successfully, but there's both a ton of people there in both camps, and every episode has something book-related worth talking about. We briefly tried the same thing in Walking Dead, but there aren't enough comic readers there, and many episodes don't have enough comic-related material to make the comic thread have any significant discussion. I'd imagine that there are so few non-BB watchers here that there just wouldn't be enough people to make the critical mass, or if we tried to do "any mention of BB should go in the BB thread", then the BB thread probably wouldn't have enough to get the thread off the ground.

If enough people say they're interested in that, we could try it. But I think you're right that the solution is far more trouble than it's worth.

I watched The Wire for the first time some months ago, and even then it was five or six years old.   It would have been ludicrous of me to expect that others in the forum should go about on tip-toes for my sake.   To be honest, it was stray comments about The Wire (and by stray I mean comments made in threads devoted to shows other than The Wire) that convinced me to check it out in the first place.   It was kind of the same situation with Buffy.   I started off watching Angel and participating in Angel discussions.   The Buffy comparisons intrigued me enough to check out that show (I liked Angel better).   Sure, there were some spoilers.   But I survived okay.

I think it's unreasonable to ask people to refrain from discussing or expect them to spoiler-tag comments about any show once the show's original run is over.    Yes, there's a risk you can be unexpectedly spoiled about Show B while reading a Show A forum, but that's a risk of reading forums.   Everyone here is really considerate about spoilers when it comes to shows still in progress, but I think it's too much to ask that they also hold their tongues about shows that have already been recapped, reviewed and discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere on the web. 

Edited by millennium.

Share Post

I really do think there should be a totally separate thread for BCS viewers who did not follow BB.

The Breaking Bad Free Zone, Violators will be dissolved in Acid.

So does Dougal's verdict of February 11th still stand?  I'm a BB alum and just want to know the rules for posting on the BCS threads.  I'm confused here. 

Okay, let's try it and see how it goes. I'll make a thread.

Share Post

I watched The Wire for the first time some months ago, and even then it was five or six years old.   It would have been ludicrous of me to expect that others in the forum should go about on tip-toes for my sake.   To be honest, it was stray comments about The Wire (and by stray I mean comments made in threads devoted to shows other than The Wire) that convinced me to check it out in the first place.   It was kind of the same situation with Buffy.   I started off watching Angel and participating in Angel discussions.   The Buffy comparisons intrigued me enough to check out that show (I liked Angel better).   Sure, there were some spoilers.   But I survived okay.

I think it's unreasonable to ask people to refrain from discussing or expect them to spoiler-tag comments about any show once the show's original run is over.    Yes, there's a risk you can be unexpectedly spoiled about Show B while reading a Show A forum, but that's a risk of reading forums.   Everyone here is really considerate about spoilers when it comes to shows still in progress, but I think it's too much to ask that they also hold their tongues about shows that have already been recapped, reviewed and discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere on the web. 

No one's saying you shouldn't talk about it. But if you're going to mention a major twist like character X being killed by Character Y, and you're in a forum that's completely unrelated to The Wire, then the polite thing to do is put it in a spoiler tag. Is that really such a huge burden?

Some jerk on a forum unrelated to The Wire mentioned all the major twists from that show in one comment, just to spite people who hadn't seen it. That was a big disappointment for me. Oh, wait, I guess I'm the jerk, because I had the audacity to go on the internet when I hadn't seen The Wire.

Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are a very different case, obviously. Better Call Saul begins with a major spoiler about Breaking Bad.

Share Post

Is this the first spinoff that's also prequel?  

The Walking Dead spinoff is set before the current timeline, but I don't know if it's going to start before the original started. (Did that make sense?)

Rick Grimes was shot before the zombie apocalypse.

Bates Motel is a prequel to the Psycho movies.

Muppet Babies, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, and Star Trek: Enterprise are prequels.

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is a prequel to the movies.

Share Post

Bates Motel is a prequel to the Psycho movies.

Not that Psycho was a TV show, but it's a good example...  Does anyone who posts in the Bates Motel forum need to avoid talking about Psycho, or spoiler tag references to what happens to Norman Bates later in life?

Edited by Bcharmer.

Share Post

Is this the first spinoff that's also prequel?

There was also Caprica as a prequel to BSG. Some might put the second Star Wars trilogy in this category too, depending on whether you call it a spinoff or believed George Lucas when he said he had planned a trilogy of trilogies all along. It's a lot easier to avoid spoilers for the original when the prequel is providing background of the fictional world in general rather than for specific characters.

Share Post

We're in agreement that someone reading a Better Call Saul forum should have a reasonable expectation of finding major plot points in Breaking Bad discussed, because it is a spinoff.  But should someone expect major spoilers from The Wire, or Sons of Anarchy, just to name a couple of examples, in a Better Call Saul forum?  I had stumbled upon a major spoiler in a thread for a show I had an interest in watching (and have since watched) in a Race and Ethnicity in Television thread... yes I am taking chances on message boards by not devoting my life to watching every show I would ever have any interest in watching before the season is over.  But is it considerably more polite for other posters to hide major spoilers for off topic shows in spoiler tags?  Yes, plainly and absolutely.

So much this.  As the quantity of quality TV in the present and past proliferates, yet is all endlessly available to stream, it will be more and more likely that people will come upon different shows at different times.  Even if they try to keep up with everything current and critically acclaimed (as I do, to the extent I can), there are always younger people just entering the headspace, the level of maturity, to be able to appreciate such shows.  XKCD had a good strip about this.  So I don't think a show that's "been over for years" should be able to be freely spoiled with impunity, any more than a book or movie that's been out for years or decades.  (I do agree with you, though, just to be clear, that BCS and BB are an exception, as much more than a spinoff in the classic sense.)

I've seen at least one person commenting in the Ep2 'Mijo' thread that they were watching BCS but had never seen BB. So, unlikely, but not impossible.

And we heard from one or two in this thread.  Fascinating (in Spock voice).  I actually think (whatever the showrunners might prefer) this is a mistake, that such people should actually be waiting until they've watched BB to watch BCS.  I think it's really more of an extension, an additional season in a way, than anything.  I can't even imagine how the showrunners can storyboard, break scripts, etc., in a way that keeps the non-BB viewer in mind, and I doubt they even try.

This ship may have already sailed, because I've now read at least a couple posts that discuss almost all the characters' deaths in BB. It's a shame.

My sympathies; but as I say, I really think you should go back and watch BB first.

Share Post

I actually think (whatever the showrunners might prefer) this is a mistake, that such people should actually be waiting until they've watched BB to watch BCS.  I think it's really more of an extension, an additional season in a way, than anything.  I can't even imagine how the showrunners can storyboard, break scripts, etc., in a way that keeps the non-BB viewer in mind, and I doubt they even try.

My sympathies; but as I say, I really think you should go back and watch BB first.

I'm a huge Breaking Bad supporter and recommend it to anyone but I disagree that a Better Call Saul viewer needs to or should watch Breaking Bad first.  The only reason the writers need to keep focused on Breaking Bad is so they don't accidentally rewrite history they've established about Saul, Mike or anyone else who appears.  But neither Saul nor Mike were part of the original conception of the Breaking Bad series.  They were separate entities who only made it into the lives of the other characters via some clever marketing.  Their lives should remain separate until the point where they collide and so Better Call Saul doesn't need anything from Breaking Bad to tell its story.  And a viewer doesn't need to see BBr to appreciate Better Call Saul.

Sure, having seen BBr might give more context to the opening scene but if you haven't, it's just a flashforward to where we're going to go.  And having seen BBr does mean we knew the parking garage guy was going to be someone worthwhile but non-BBr viewers were kind of told that in Episode 3 through natural storytelling.  And sure, it was kind of thrilling to see Tuco at the end of the pilot but again, BCS did a good job of telling us who that character was, in 2002, for Saul's world.  You don't need BBr for any of that and, if the show is going to remain a prequel, we should never need the events of BBr to give us context for anything. 

Share Post

I watched The Wire for the first time some months ago, and even then it was five or six years old.   It would have been ludicrous of me to expect that others in the forum should go about on tip-toes for my sake.

But that's a forum for The Wire. This isn't a forum for Breaking Bad.

Share Post

So much this.  As the quantity of quality TV in the present and past proliferates, yet is all endlessly available to stream, it will be more and more likely that people will come upon different shows at different times.  Even if they try to keep up with everything current and critically acclaimed (as I do, to the extent I can), there are always younger people just entering the headspace, the level of maturity, to be able to appreciate such shows.  XKCD had a good strip about this.  So I don't think a show that's "been over for years" should be able to be freely spoiled with impunity, any more than a book or movie that's been out for years or decades.  (I do agree with you, though, just to be clear, that BCS and BB are an exception, as much more than a spinoff in the classic sense.)

And we heard from one or two in this thread.  Fascinating (in Spock voice).  I actually think (whatever the showrunners might prefer) this is a mistake, that such people should actually be waiting until they've watched BB to watch BCS.  I think it's really more of an extension, an additional season in a way, than anything.  I can't even imagine how the showrunners can storyboard, break scripts, etc., in a way that keeps the non-BB viewer in mind, and I doubt they even try.

The latter is my big agreement/problem; in pre-press commercials, Vince Gilligan and his co-creator already stated this is what happens.  (Paraphrase)  "This is a show about what happens to 'Jimmy McGill', to make him think that becoming 'Saul Goodman' is a good idea."   It's in the DNA of the show, its very raison d'etre. 

(Not that I actively want to spoil non-BrBa viewers or anything.  But you really should go see it.  Like, yesterday.  And not just because it will make me/us more comfortable on a message board, but because I want you to have this experience.)

Share Post

But that's a forum for The Wire. This isn't a forum for Breaking Bad.

I'm aware, thank you.   I was responding to an earlier post in which a member remarked that he/she had been spoiled regarding The Wire.  

No one's saying you shouldn't talk about it. But if you're going to mention a major twist like character X being killed by Character Y, and you're in a forum that's completely unrelated to The Wire, then the polite thing to do is put it in a spoiler tag. Is that really such a huge burden?

Some jerk on a forum unrelated to The Wire mentioned all the major twists from that show in one comment, just to spite people who hadn't seen it. That was a big disappointment for me. Oh, wait, I guess I'm the jerk, because I had the audacity to go on the internet when I hadn't seen The Wire.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."  -- Q, Star Trek the Next Generation

Spoilers are a fact of life, on forums and off.    I remember being spoiled in my freshman year of high school, when a junior saw me reading A Separate Peace.   I was three-quarters done, and with just one simple sentence as he breezed by me in the hallway -- two words, actually -- he ruined the book for me.

He said:

"Finny dies."

Have you ever heard of Opie and Anthony?  They were famous for spoiling The Sixth Sense.  Yup, they just blurted it out in their broadcast one day and laughed their asses off at the thousands of people they just spoiled.

Most everyone here is very considerate about spoilers. but they still occur from time to time, usually inadvertently.    So what?   Nobody dies.   Life goes on.   It sucks, sure.   But you deal.   Of the limitless and myriad disappointments life has to offer, spoiling doesn't even register a blip on the radar.    And it surely doesn't warrant a reimagining of the whole forum. 

Edited by millennium.

Share Post

And it surely doesn't warrant a reimagining of the whole forum.

Just to put things in perspective, we're talking about folks who didn't watch BB when it was originally aired, didn't watch the replay before the finale, didn't watch the replay before BCS, didn't see it on DVD, didn't see anything elsewhere that gave away major developments, and now wants to discuss the background story of some of its characters without being spoiled for when they do watch BB "someday". ITA.

Share Post

Just to put things in perspective, we're talking about folks who didn't watch BB when it was originally aired, didn't watch the replay before the finale, didn't watch the replay before BCS, didn't see it on DVD, didn't see anything elsewhere that gave away major developments, and now wants to discuss the background story of some of its characters without being spoiled for when they do watch BB "someday". ITA.

There really ought to be some statute of limitations on calling something a "spoiler".  Can we safely give away plot points from "Dallas" or "Happy Days" without being accused of posting "spoilers". 

I mean if you find a tub of cottage cheese with an expiration date of 09/29/2013, in the refrigerator and you take it out and leave it on the counter for a few hours, could someone accuse you of "spoiling" it? :)

Share Post

There really ought to be some statute of limitations on calling something a "spoiler".  Can we safely give away plot points from "Dallas" or "Happy Days" without being accused of posting "spoilers". 

I mean if you find a tub of cottage cheese with an expiration date of 09/29/2013, in the refrigerator and you take it out and leave it on the counter for a few hours, could someone accuse you of "spoiling" it? :)

Guess what, everyone?  J.R. gets shot, and Fonzie jumps a shark... There!  I spoiled it for everyone.

When Lost had its massive series finale in 2010 -- for which I knew many, many, many people would tune in to be able to discuss it the next day (including people who didn't even regularly watch the series but had heard about it) -- I made sure to watch it, even if I was tired. 

One of my friends was saying she was going to avoid Facebook, the Internet in general and TV so as not to hear the spoilers because she wasn't planning to watch the Lost finale on the night it aired.  I told her that this was Lost we were talking about -- a pop culture phenomenon of sorts (whether deserved or not), and an ongoing frustrating question mark for several years.  There was no way she would be able to avoid Lost finale spoilers even if she stayed off of Facebook and the Internet, and didn't turn on the TV.  I told her that, inevitably, someone at her place of employment would be talking about Lost, as it was water cooler chat-worthy.   That got my friend thinking, and so she made sure to watch the finale before she got to work the next morning!

Share Post

For those of us who migrated over from TWoP, we are all probably still of the mindset that once an episode has aired in the US, all bets are off, and no spoiler tags are needed. Them were the rules.  Spoilers mostly referred to tidbits of leaked information for yet-to-be-aired episodes. Over there, it never would have been necessary to spoiler-tag posts about a show that had long since ended... especially one that had been talked about, written about, reviewed and referred to all over the internet, like BB was.  To offer a thread to those who never watched BB, yet want to watch not only its spinoff, but also its prequel, yet wish to remain unspoiled, is very generous. 

Share Post

There really ought to be some statute of limitations on calling something a "spoiler". Can we safely give away plot points from "Dallas" or "Happy Days" without being accused of posting "spoilers".

I wish! Someone in the Walking Dead forum just complained about someone "spoiling" Buffy the Vampire Slayer—which aired from March 10, 1997, until May 20, 2003.

Edited to add that I've never seen Buffy, but I don't expect others to police their behavior 12 years after a show has aired just for me. In fact, I had to DVR both Walking Dead and Downton Abbey this week to watch the live SNL 40th anniversary special. If I had read something on the interwebs about either show before I had a chance to watch them, I wouldn't've gone on the attack—I would've taken personal responsibility. I guess I'm a spoiler libertarian.

Edited by editorgrrl.

Share Post

I wish! Someone in the Walking Dead forum just complained about someone "spoiling" Buffy the Vampire Slayer—which aired from March 10, 1997, until May 20, 2003.

I'm kind of repeating myself, but my rejoinder to this might be more clear if I use my son as an example (though again, this fits in with the xkcd comic posted above).  He recently turned 15.  He is the kind of smart kid, into fantasy and pop culture, who I could easily see loving Buffy.  Why shouldn't he get the opportunity to watch it unspoiled?  Presumably he can be excused for missing it the first time through, right?  ;-)  We're not talking about making spoiling a criminal offense; I'm just saying that it's rude and should be treated as an uncouth violation of social norms.

Edited by SlackerInc.

Share Post

There is a Breaking Bad Free thread.  No one is posting in it, but it's there. 

Share Post

I'm kind of repeating myself, but my rejoinder to this might be more clear if I use my son as an example (though again, this fits in with the xkcd comic posted above). He recently turned 15. He is the kind of smart kid, into fantasy and pop culture, who I could easily see loving Buffy. Why shouldn't he get the opportunity to watch it unspoiled? Presumably he can be excused for missing it the first time through, right? ;-) We're not talking about making spoiling a criminal offense; I'm just saying that it's rude and should be treated as an uncouth violation of social norms.

This is my take 100%. I saw that Buffy spoiler and haven't watched the show... I'm not sure if I ever will but if I do, I've been deprived of a huge gut punch and for what? The comment contributed nothing to a Walking Dead thread other than the poster trying to be a hipster with a pop culture reference. I love Twin Peaks and that's exactly the reason I wouldn't discuss major plot reveals outside of a TP thread, even if it wasn't coming back. I'd never want to deprive someone of the experience of discovering it watching the show. Not to be hip and clever... being respectful takes priority. But again since there seems to be some confusion... Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad is a different story... It's a prequel spinoff and most viewers would reference BB to put the story in context. Referencing BB plot points here is not the same as randomly dropping bombs from Buffy, Lost, Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. The BB free thread is a perfectly acceptable solution for anyone who wants to watch this show without having watched BB.

Share Post