All Episodes Talk: Funny Tasting

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

This show is a refreshing addition to FN's Sunday line-up. Daphne has a great camera presence and she actually is funny without it being overkill (looking at Jeff Mauro.)

So far, I haven't found anything she's made to be "wow" like I'd love to try it, but she offers some great tips. (I don't know if they are her own or if she's had a little bit of help from her chef-husband.) I like her little cracks about what a boring, terrible cook her mother was when they were growing up. Her mom seemed to take it witih good humor.

Also, she's able to integrate the kids, family and guests into the show without being forced, pretentious, etc.

It will be interesting to see if FN continues with it after six episodes.

Share Post

Thanks, grisgris. I like Daphne.  She's smart, funny, and seems like a solid cook.  

Her birthday dinner for her husband looked delicious.  The only thing I wish she would have done would have been to refer to the potatoes as pommes Anna, which is what they are and always takes me back to Julia Child's (classic) potatoes episode.  I may try the red cabbage slaw soon.  It reminds me of the cabbage slaw you get in Germany.

Share Post

I like this show too. Daphne appears to be a home cook, but doesn't rely on cream-of-something soup or dump and stir recipes. Don't get me wrong...cream of chicken or mushroom soup has its place, and I feel much less guilty using it now that I've found recipes to make them myself on Pinterest that's just milk, flour, chicken broth, and spices.

I thought the potato dish in the birthday dinner episode looked awesome, but part of the recipe was skipped. She said that you start it on the stove and finish it in the oven, but that part was not shown. I also liked seeing how the raspberry swirl got into the cheesecake. And I liked that the cheesecake did not have to be baked in a water bath, because that is always such a pain. Or I should say it looks like a pain...I've never actually done it.

Share Post

The ricotta cheesecake looked delicious.  I also appreciated that it was a thinner cheesecake.

Share Post

I just saw the episode where she makes the grease slide mashed potatoes with like 2 pounds of butter and a couple cups of cream for 4 potatoes, and if that wasn't gross enough, she marinates chicken, then dumps the marinade into a measuring cup to use it for the sauce. I thought that was a major no no. yes, she cooked the sauce, but hello food poisoning! 

Share Post

I didn't care for that episode either, Fostersmom.  The potatoes were more of a potato porridge.  Sometimes you actually can add too much of a good thing.

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

She isn't holding my interest much, in terms of food.  I like her personality, and think she's smart and funny.

Today's episode with the kids having an outdoor movie night was so boring.  I do not enjoy these shows where there is some made up theme involving the family. "Oh, thanks for dropping by with a camera.  We just happen to be planning an outdoor movie night, and I'm making a bunch of (boring, overdone, kid-friendly) food!"

I can't imagine chicken thighs used for chicken nuggets and think they'd have the potential to be tough and rubbery.  Dark meat poultry, in my opinion, isn't at its best cooked too quickly.  The recipe looked good, but I'd stick with breast meat for the nuggets.

Share Post

I could be down with watching Daphne do stand up or even hosting a food-related talk show, because I really like her. I usually don't like FN host's backstories, but hers are always interesting and funny.

The menu was OK. I've seen chicken nuggets done 1,000 times. Way to "sneak" cabbage into the kids by announcing the ingredients right in front of them!

The chocolate mint truffles looked good as well as the ginger lemonade.

Interesting to note the the producers of Daphne's show also were behind Semi-Homemade. Curious as to why this show is back and we've seen nothing of "Heartland Table." (Maybe it's still in production?)

Share Post

grisgris, "Heartland Table" was a collaboration between Random House Publishing making a foray into TV and FN. I think it may have been the first of its kind for FN.  I'm thinking, totally my own speculation, since I haven't read anything about it, that 2 seasons was all they could agree to. Hard to tell if it was Amy, Random House, or FN. I'm thinking if FN doesn't own the bottom line and has to split profits, it might now be worth it for FN. I'm not interested enough to dig into it, but I would have liked to see more Amy.

I was thinking Daphne's show might not come back, but am glad to see it is.

Share Post

Meh on today's show. Chicken wings? Seen 'em hundreds of times. The sauce for the meatballs looked OK, not so much the actual meatballs.

That macaroni didn't look very appetizing to me. There seemed to be some disconnect with the ingredients. Biting into something with garlic, onions and celery leafs would remind me too much of Thanksgiving stuffing!

I thought Daphne looked really nice. That was an interesting hairstyle. She seems like a natural hostess and is good with kids. Her kids somehow manage to be present without being either scene-stealers or acting forced.

Share Post

The meatballs looked good.  I've never tried them with shredded potato.

I loved her comment about "I may make a lot of mistakes as a parent but that's one thing I'm getting right" when she spoke of her macaroni and cheese.  But then she went on to add onion, pancetta, garlic, and parsley to it.  I love pancetta, garlic and all that stuff, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to mac 'n cheese.  Leave the bacon and the pancetta out.  Seriously, just leave it out - it's ALL about the cheese damn it.  Daphne does get bonus points for adding Gruyere to hers, though.

The only wings I've ever loved are the ones we make.

Share Post

I've seen this a few times and I just can't get into it. Daphne thinks she is much funnier than she actually is, IMHO.Either cook or do stand-up, don't do an unappealing hybrid.

Share Post

I thought her fish tacos she made today looked good. I'd like to give them a try. I like fish tacos that aren't fried. Bobby Flay has a recipe that has a dry rub on the fish that I've made several times because we like it so much.

I like that she's comfortable on camera, as opposed to a certain food blogger with the frozen smile.

Share Post

I thought her fish tacos she made today looked good. I'd like to give them a try. I like fish tacos that aren't fried. Bobby Flay has a recipe that has a dry rub on the fish that I've made several times because we like it so much.

I like that she's comfortable on camera, as opposed to a certain food blogger with the frozen smile.

I totally agree with you, Chessiegal, and really liked today's show.  Grilled fish tacos are one of my favorite summer foods, and hers had a few different twists I'd like to try.  The only thing I'm not so sure of is mayo in the sauce(I just don't love mayo), but I'm sure using traditional crema instead would never be a bad thing.  The chorizo sliders also looked like delicious, spicy little grease bombs that would be gobbled up at a cookout.

You mentioned Bobby Flay's fish rub.  Is this the one you like?  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-fish-tacos-with-avocado-relish-smoky-tomato-greek-yogurt-crema-and-red-cabbage-citrus-slaw.html

I always like Daphne and think she seems genuine and fun.  Her food seems a little hit or miss with me, especially when the focus is all on kid/comfort food, but today's ep was good.  

Share Post

Yes, anneofcleves, that's the Flay recipe. I just use the dry rub in the recipe and skip the rest of the other sides. While they seem great, tacos for me are something easy and quick, and low calorie.  I usually get Whole Foods mango salsa and some kind of slaw on their salad bar. I'd do the same with this one. I'm just looking for flavorful fish. I was even thinking today I could do the same thing with Ina's roasted shrimp.

Share Post

Thanks, chessiegal!  Ina's roasted shrimp would be great.  I agree with you about the tacos being low calorie.  I'm always disappointed when I see them on the menu somewhere and inquire a little and find that they're something like fried fish, shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, with flour tortillas.  Sounds like something Ree would make.

Share Post

I like Daphne. Yeah, maybe a little of the cheesy humor is too much, but overall, I think she's genuine and has a good camera presence. She also knows how to cook, but she is real. She's not on there trying to convince the audience that she's fabulous cook who creates all of her own recipes. She always states where her recipes or idea came from and she's putting out there as from one home cook to the other.

Another glaring difference between her and some others is that she looks like she's genuinely enjoying what she's doing, whether it's prepping, grilling or hostessing. Either that, or she's a damned good actress. Her kids are just visible enough without being overly so (or forced to make compliments of the food) and her husband seems very nice and he's also good on camera.

As far as today's recipes were concerned, it seemed like she kept repeating the same flavor profile, with the lime, hot sauce, cumin, coriander, etc. That's OK because at least everything would go together. I thought the chorizo sliders looked good and I'd try the marinade for the fish. I'm not sure if I've ever had fish tacos before. (I guess if I had they must not have been that good if I can't remember them!)

As the lead-in to today's episode, my DVR caught the end of Bobby Flay's brunch show with him suggestively licking the end of a soda straw. I think he was trying to look seductive or something. It just seemed very out of character for him. Ugh.... I'm trying to erase that from my brain.

Share Post

I also thought the chorizo sliders looked really yummy, especially the avocado spread. I can't eat just plain avocados -- I don't like the texture. But I love guacamole, I have an awesome recipe for avocado egg salad, and I love them in stuff. I'm going to try that spread for sure. 

Share Post

I enjoyed today's show. I'd try Jerusalem artichokes only I have no idea where I'd find them around here.

I like Daphne, but think I'd like to see a show featuring her husband. He seems to have a great personality, is at ease on camera and he's a chef. How bad can that be? Ina

Share Post

Hi grisgris, you can probably the Jerusalem artichokes at some place like Whole Foods or maybe even Trader Joe's.

They are a mild tasting root vegetable, tasting very vaguely like an artichoke, good mixed in with a variety of other roasted root veg, more of a fall or winter thing.

Have to be careful with them though, because they cause *aftereffects* for some people

Share Post

I usually don't watch her show, she's just so schticky all the damn time with the lame ass jokes and ridiculous mugging faces. I'm not a fan. But i had FN on today an watched something that had her giving an intro about cooking in college, showed some random college aged women, and then she made some pasta, tofu tacos, and a granita in her kitchen, by herself. She served it to her mom and kids. My phone rang and I missed the last 3 minutes., Maybe the last 3 minutes tied it together but what the hell did this have to do with the intro or the 2 women shown at the beginning? It was like they just completely put the intro of one show onto the cooking footage footage of another. It was bizarre. 

Share Post

It was not a good show, and the food was particularly uninspiring today.  I wish I could tell you what happened at the end, Fostersmom, but her tofu tacos (with sour cream and red cabbage) almost made me hurl and I lost interest.  

The recipes were strangely reminiscent of Robin Miller's crazy recipes with dissonant ingredients.

Share Post

Is anyone watching Daphne anymore?  I'm kind of over the show, DVR'ing it but often not watching.

I did watch yesterday's show about the food for the summer road trip and can appreciate packing things to take on a long car ride.  I hate, hate, hate stopping for bad (fast) food on a long trip and always like to pack good food that's easy to eat in the car or, if we're lucky with the weather, finding a nice picnic area to stop and eat.

The sandwiches on thin bread really appealed to me, and that's a kind of bread I don't even think about buying anymore but think I'll look for.  The packaging looked like Pepperidge Farms(?).  We take long trips fairly frequently, and I like a nice,neat sandwich like that when travelling.

Her chicken empanadas looked good.  The toffee pecan cookies looked amazing.

Share Post

I'm still watching. Wow, that was a pretty long season. It seems like there were a good 10 episodes or so.

The funny thing is, none of her recipes have ever "wow-ed" me enough for me to look them up on the FN website and try them at home. I just find Daphne to be very likable and a real departure for me is that I actually like her family.  I'd love to see a show, ala "Extra Virgin" with Daphne and Mark. I think that would be a real hoot and would probably generate some good recipes.

I hope/wonder if Daphne is now going to join the "official fold" of FN stars and they'll start bringing her in on some of the tag-team hosting. I could just see her on "Thanksgiving Live," but if we are lucky, FN has pulled the permanent plug on that trainwreck.

Share Post