Pet Peeves

37 minutes ago, ABay said:

Maybe we can all take a few seconds at 11 a.m. Eastern to send good thoughts @bilgistic?

I’m in. It’s time for the tides to turn for her. Fingers crossed she gets a job where she makes money, isn’t stressed and feels valued.

Peeve: Went on Amazon. I can’t get shipping any sooner than January 2nd. Now I have to physically go out and fight the crowds. Grrr. 

Share Post

Holiday Shopping Parking Lots and dumb ass parents - I had to go out yesterday because I am somehow missing an essential box of my tree decorations and couldn't even put up the second/third rate ornaments I did have because they were completely without hooks (and my box of extra hooks is with the essential box).  So the kids and I head to World Market which is in what passes as a downtown area - that means that spread out over a decent area there's a major mall, an upscale outdoor mall, several retail shopping centers (each with a major anchor), movie theaters and a crapton of restaurants.  The city planners apparently forbid grid patterned parking lots so all parking areas have funny curves and angle (which is a separate peeve).

So DA Parental Unit 1 have decided to ride their bikes to the busiest shopping area at the busiest time of year with their two kids that are still single digits.  One of them is still pretty shaky on a two wheeler, so I'm guessing the training wheels were recently ditched. Neither of the kids are big enough to be easily visible in a parking lot - especially one filled with trucks and SUVs.  I see DA dad with child 1 traversing the parking lot and so I wait at the 4 way stop so they can safely cross.  Because of the stupid angles and shrubbery, I don't see DA mom and child 2 until I am almost ready to go because they are riding so slow (because child 2 is the shaky one). 

Because I have just pulled into the parking lot, the cars behind me are backing up into the main road and they have no idea why I am not going.  A driver at the four way to my right sees them and waits for them to turtle across too.  A driver coming from my left doesn't see them and almost mows down DA dad & child 1.

After we manage to park & leave that plaza without taking any lives, we stop by Pier 1 to look for a new ornament or two (the kids pick one or two out every year).  This is also in a busy plaza - Pier 1, Whole Foods, a number of restaurants and specialty shops,....  When we are leaving, right by the exit from the parking lot a young family with a truck backed into the end space is loading up - there's the parental units, 2 young boys (both under 4) and a baby in a stroller.  Because they are backed in and all hanging around the truck bed, there is a sidewalk, a small strip of green space and then an actual road.  Neither of the boys are particularly close to their parents and just kind of randomly moving around as small children are prone to do.    I don't go right away because I have nightmares about small children darting in front of cars or falling in front of cars.  Neither parent bothers to corral their children despite being so close to a road leading into a busy shopping center nor near an exit.

Ornament Purchases:  My daughter bought a wooden ornament of a duck in a boat (row boat?  canoe?) and a radish ornament because they made her laugh.  My son chose more traditional ornaments - a glass angel and a pair of christmas trees.  I chose a solid wood ornament with a bird on it.

Share Post

15 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Knock 'em dead, Kiddo!

3 hours ago, ABay said:

Maybe we can all take a few seconds at 11 a.m. Eastern to send good thoughts @bilgistic?

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

You got this, bilgistic!!

Thanks, y'all! I guess it went OK. Who ever knows with these things? I managed to not fall or have any other catastrophe on the way to the store.

It would be at least 30 hours a week (as opposed to the 8-16 I'm getting now...grumble) and eligibility for benefits at that level (if TPTB don't succeed at dismantling the ACA). I would be able to get cat food AT COST(!!!), which would save me SO MUCH MONEY. My precious little sensitive baby's special non-allergenic food currently costs me $225 a month(!!!!!!!).

The store manager has to talk with the regional manager and then they'll make a decision. The possibility of meeting visiting doggies every day sounds like good times.

Share Post

Fingers crossed, @bilgistic.  (I was unable to join in the group sending of vibes, but that's only 8:00 a.m. here, so I was blissfully asleep.)  I'll take the fact you didn't wind up falling face first in dog shit on the way to the interview as a good sign.

I hope you were able to impart your knowledge of feline nutritional needs, which likely exceeds that of most candidates for the job, and the fact you could make good suggestions to customers - which could mean they leave having spent more than they'd planned to coming in - will make the employer see you as the right person for the job.

I'm going to head out in a couple of hours to finally do my Christmas gift shopping, so I'm sure I'll come back loaded with peeves. 

Share Post

I did give the rundown of my dearly departed Bilgisticat's conditions and my struggles to find food and meds that worked for him, along with Little Girl's need for food that doesn't trigger her allergies. I mentioned how much I understand that the pet food industry is very political (and fraught with misinformation), and that I'd learned a great deal about nutrition and could recommend "better" food for customers.

I just vacuumed for the first time in...a while. I took the hose to the cat tree and the window seat. So, so much cat fur.

Would anyone like to mop for me? I haven't done that in...an even longer while.

Share Post

@bilgistic - that's awesome!

I strongly suggest, if you haven't already, send a thank you note or thank you email to the store manager. With how rare they are in the corporate world, they have to be even rarer in the retail world.

Share Post

On 12/16/2018 at 8:12 PM, ABay said:

We should get a petition going or something to make "bilgistic" a unit of measurement. "My weekend was bad, but it wasn't bilgistic bad." "On a scale of one to bilgistic, how much does that sprained thumb hurt?" "This movie sucks! I give it 3 bilgistics."

Back in the early days of various forums on the Internet (around 1996+) at the figure skating forum called SkateFans, someone began to describe different skaters (who weren't appealing enough to the broadcaster) as getting "chacked".  It was a term she created based on Michael Chack not getting his program shown even though there really was plenty of time, but the broadcaster decided to show a taped program from another skating discipline. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The possibility of meeting visiting doggies every day sounds like good times.

I would love a job which included that!

Share Post

Christmas is NOT a secular holiday.  I'm beyond over Christmas music everywhere, Christmas TV specials taking over the networks, everything closing down for the day and people insisting that everyone can celebrate it.

Yeah, I'll wish you a Merry Christmas but fuck the rest of this noise. Over it. 

Share Post

I'm so tired of the same old secular Xmas songs being played over and over (at each store or office I visit).  But then I've heard them all my life. So I avoid radio stations playing those songs and now just play the classical music stations (they're playing beautiful cathedral choir music, most of which I don't recognize but it sounds so peaceful).  When I was a kid, Christmas preparations didn't start until the day after T'giving. And it was a much quieter, sweeter holiday.  Now it's too overblown.  The only Xmas movies I watch are the really old ones (except, I loved The Gathering which was shown maybe in the 80's?) starring Ed Asner and a lot of very good actors + a serious storyline. Wish they'd show it again along with its equally excellent sequel.  

Share Post

I've been avoiding the holiday at all costs. I've been listening to CDs or Pandora to avoid the radio. I've been reading books and watching documentaries or movies to avoid regular TV. I am so glad that Trader Joes was playing regular music instead of holiday music while I shopped today. If someone ever wanted to commit deep psychological torture on me, all they would have to do is play Christmas music on a  continuous loop. I would go irrevocably mad within hours. If I never hear it again, it would be too soon. 

I'm not a fan of Halloween, but I am grateful that it helps keep the Christmas plague at bay. If they could start promoting it in the summer, they would. Its already bad enough when places try that "Christmas in July" bullshit. No, just no. One Christmas season is enough.

And now the peeve that has plagued every Floridian since the invention of cars: I really, really wish drivers license were revoked after the age of 80. Just think elderly drivers plus trying to grocery shop a week before Christmas and you can imagine the scenarios I witnessed. Sheesh.

Share Post

45 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

And now the peeve that has plagued every Floridian since the invention of cars: I really, really wish drivers license were revoked after the age of 80.

I'm 67 and was kind of surprised that Florida cheerfully let me renew my license online for another seven years. I guess the photo from 2011 still kinda looks like me? I feel like I'm one of those people using a 10-year-old photo on a dating site. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, 2727 said:

I'm 67 and was kind of surprised that Florida cheerfully let me renew my license online for another seven years. I guess the photo from 2011 still kinda looks like me? I feel like I'm one of those people using a 10-year-old photo on a dating site. 

This made me laugh and laugh. When I last renewed my license, I was able to do it online using the same picture that was taken several years and several pounds ago. I am told I look much younger than my 44 years, but there's no way I look much thinner than my *coughcoughcoughcoughcough* pounds.

Share Post

I’m so jealous of you all being able to renew your drivers licenses online.   I had to go in person in October and they forced me to take a new picture, let’s just say it looks like a dmv picture, I’m convinced it looks nothing like me.  Im now stuck with this awful picture for the next eight years unless I move out of state.  But I was grateful to be able to get my license, I almost failed the eye test because she was making me read the eye chart from a weird angle, fortunately a manager came along and let me read it straight on.

Share Post

3 hours ago, 2727 said:

My picture is from I think 2008. I had no idea they were going to retake my photo that day when I was renewing, so I look awesome. All of my hair is still dark, I had the goatee, a bunch of scruff in addition to that, my hair is all messy. I look like Dave Grohl's chubby brother. (Which to be fair, wasn't a bad look for me back in the day.) I will probably intentionally go to renew in person in 2023 just to get a new picture. 

And ugh, I ran across someone who used a ten year old picture on a dating sight. That's really unforgivable, unless for some reason you look better now than you did ten years ago. (She did not.)

Edited by JTMacc99.

Share Post

8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

And now the peeve that has plagued every Floridian since the invention of cars: I really, really wish drivers license were revoked after the age of 80. Just think elderly drivers plus trying to grocery shop a week before Christmas and you can imagine the scenarios I witnessed. Sheesh.

I'm  nowhere near 80 but I'd rather have an 80 yr old driving on the roads with me instead of these hotshots driving 15-20 mph over the speed limit, weaving in and out, tailgating you even if you're driving the speed limit in the right lane. Whatever happened to Driver's Education in high school?  Where did these people learn to drive--watching NASCAR?  On the interstates they drive in packs.  And no one stops first before making a right turn at a red light or stop sign (Mr. P914 says he's seen police do that).  They just roll on through.  Have I forgotten anything? 

Share Post

For the past three weeks I have tried and failed to see Ralph Breaks the Internet with a friend. That friend always had to back out at the last minute. Rather than keep pestering her, I invited another friend to go to the movie. We made plans for today.

But guess what? Something suddenly came up and now THIS friend had to cancel.

I know life happens and all that, but I really feel like I'm jinxed.

Share Post

5 hours ago, partofme said:

I’m so jealous of you all being able to renew your drivers licenses online.  

Related pet peeve - I wish everyone had to retake their test every few years after a certain age.  Including an eye test.

Share Post

5 hours ago, partofme said:

I’m so jealous of you all being able to renew your drivers licenses online.   I had to go in person in October and they forced me to take a new picture, let’s just say it looks like a dmv picture, I’m convinced it looks nothing like me.  Im now stuck with this awful picture for the next eight years unless I move out of state.  But I was grateful to be able to get my license, I almost failed the eye test because she was making me read the eye chart from a weird angle, fortunately a manager came along and let me read it straight on.

Scary but true: about 3 years ago I had been told I would need to have cataract surgery in both eyes, but that it would probably be a year before it was necessary. I had to renew my license in person (here in TX they alternate between letting you renew online and having to go in person), and a vision test was required. I barely passed the vision test; I had to squint like crazy and I'm really not sure if I saw all the letters I thought I did or if I had just subconsciously memorized the string of letters from the various people who were tested while I was in line. Within 2-3 weeks of renewing my license, I went to my optometrist again and my vision had drastically deteriorated since my prior visit 6 months earlier. Optometrist: You're now legally blind; you wouldn't be able to pass the vision test for your drivers license. Me: Holy crap, I just passed it a few weeks ago. Optometrist: That's crazy, but even though you passed it,  you're still legally blind and should not be driving. I did request and receive ADA accommodations to work from home; this was prior to my job switch where I now telecommute full-time. Also, my daughter ended up being my chauffeur for the next few months until I could get the cataract surgery done, so at least once I knew I was a hazard behind the wheel, I quit driving until I could actually see well again. 

I don't know that I would list 80 as an age where nobody should have a drivers license any more; my parents were still driving normally until their mid-80s. But I do think everybody, regardless of age, should have to pass the driving test and vision test at specified intervals, such as every 10 years through age 70, and every 5 years past age 70. I've known too many people who drove carefully when they were still living at home and had to pass their driving test to get their license originally, who then became very careless drivers after a few years but never had to have their driving skills formally assessed again. 

Share Post

As long as I don't have to parallel park for a test. I still can't do it, and there's no need here.

Share Post

9 hours ago, auntlada said:

As long as I don't have to parallel park for a test. I still can't do it, and there's no need here.

I didn't have to parallel park on my first driving test which is good because I would have never gotten a license.  The only time I have been able to do it without spending 5 minutes angling in, inching back, adjusting forward...is when I drove a car the size of a shoe box.   My lifelong mission since selling the shoe box has been to avoid parallel parking.  I'd rather walk a mile from a parking lot than put my parallel parking skills to the test and holding up traffic forever while I do it.

I have infinite envy of those with the spatial skills.  My ex had truly great spatial skills and a complete lack of comprehension that not everyone on the road has the same.  A friend helped me once go pick up a big couch - she had access to a work van.  She backed into this incredibly small and oddly configured loading area with less trouble than I have backing out of my own drive - it was truly an impressive feat! 

And because I am a small and petty person, it made me immensely happy that I knew someone with better spatial skills than my ex.

Share Post

Speaking of parallel parking, about 10 years ago Mr. P914 & I went into the District to find a certain restaurant.  I was driving. It was in an area we'd never been to before and we were on a one way street. The only parking spot was on the left side of the road. I knew I'd have to parallel park, hadn't done it in a long time and geez laweeze - on the left side.  I did it very carefully, trying to make as few moves as possible and voila!  Mission accomplished.  Typical male - he didn't even say "that was impressive" or "good job"...but I knew deep down inside, he HAD to be impressed!  I don't have many claims to fame but this was one of them :>)

Share Post

When I tested for my license I picked the DMV that didn't require freeway driving or parallel parking. Did the test, got back to the DMV, The guy told me to pull up to the curb to park and I bumped it. It should have been an automatic fail but he passed me anyway. Parallel parking wasn't an issue where I grew up but I developed expert skills real quick when I started going to a sporting event and was squeezing into spots off-site. The city I lived in prior to moving to hell was parallel parking central and I'm glad I already had those skills

I firmly believe a behind the wheel test should be mandatory every 2-3 years after 70 and yearly after 80.

My dad is turning 80 next year. He still has all his faculties about him. He was driving a 2001 Civic and when I went home a few weeks ago he said they were looking at leasing him a 'small SUV' because of all the updated safety features, like brake assist. I straight up told them if dad needs a car to help him with his lanes and breaking he shouldn't be driving. Not that he does much driving beyond the store, local restaurants and doctors appointments, but still. Anyway, he's now a proud 'owner' of a leased CRV.

My parking related peeves are these:

1. People who park on or over the line. Not to be an asshole (which is another peeve) but just due to carelessness.
  2. Huge SUVs parked in compact spaces. You want to drive a big ass truck? Go park in the back in the regular spots
  3. People who have the 'front' spot along the curb and don't pull as close as possible to the fire zone (if there is one) or end of curb, basically screwing over the rest of the street parking as people pull in behind them. Inches matter, people!

Share Post

Monday morning I somehow lost my grip on the milk bottle (Fairlife, so the square shaped one) and frantically went to catch it before it hit ground.  I managed to do so, but also managed to tweak some small muscle in my hand.  Since then, every time I need to spread my fingers to grab something (anything wider than a coffee can) or I pick up something with just a little bit of weight to it, my hand & wrist remind me that I angered something.

Share Post