Pet Peeves

A couple of friends and I were getting together this weekend. One of them told me to meet them at restaurant at 4.  She meant to say "tomorrow" but since she didn't I assumed she meant "today" Saturday.  OK, honest mistake.  No biggie.  But, what bugged me was the next day when she asked how long I had waited.  I responded that I got there at 5 til 4.  at 5 after, I called her, she didnt' answer, and then I sent a "where r u" text.  At 4:15, I sent an "I'm leaving text."  She said, "Oh, you only waited 15 minutes? That's not very long?  You should usually wait longer than that."

Well, no, I shouldn't.  She actually didn't respond back to me until 4:30 because she dint' check her phone. Again, that's fine, she didn't realize I thought we had plans.  If you can't be at most 5 minutes late without sending a text or calling, then why should I wait around for more than 15 minutes?  And, actually, she was about 7 minutes late the next night.  The other girl thought we were meeting at 4:30.  So, she was also late, and I was beginning to wonder if I was being ditched (again).

Share Post

Peeve: Earworms! Someone on a thread here-- can't find it now--mentioned Mazeppa and now I canNOT get "You Gotta Get a Gimmick" out of my head!

I recommend the 1993 video on YT. Once I was a schleppa now I'm Miss Mazeppa with my revolution in dance...

Share Post

I'm peeved by rude as fuck customers who treat customer service people (CSP) like shit.

Client: YELLING: What do you mean the bank won't cover these charges on my stolen/hacked card?

CSP: I'm sorry, but you did not agree to this type of insurance it when the card was given to you. 

Client: YELLS EVEN LOUDER: When?! I have no idea what you're talking about.

CSP: Here's the form, where you declined the coverage. --flips monitor around--

Client: Pauses...quiet voice.... STARTS YELLING AGAIN: Still, IT'S THE BANK's FAULTTTT. 

Share Post

Here comes an unpopular opinion: I'm going to go so far as to say the death of a 94-year-old former president (or anyone) doesn't require "breaking" news. He was 94. Don't break into my TV programming to tell me a really, really old man (or any old person who dies because they are old) has died. He's not any less dead if you wait for the regular 11:00 news* to tell us.

I've heard with less urgency about people in my own family dying.

*Yeah, I realize the "news" is essentially a race to see who can break the info first.

Share Post

Breaking News: Water is wet

The first time you broadcast the information, I’ll give you the adjective.  After the 2nd hour, it is no longer breaking.

Share Post

I'm tired of reading the various headlines lately about how olden songs/cartoons are considered "offensive" to people. More specifically,Rudolph. First, I don't believe that many people are offended and the article is clearly clickbait and is designed to get commenters riled up. Second, modern hip hop is so sexually explicit that it makes Erotica-era Madonna look like a nun. Why aren't people making a fuss over that? Third, if you don't like something, don't watch or listen to it. I find Christmas as a whole offensive so I do my best to avoid everything about the holiday. Its really easy to ignore something you don't like.

Edited by AgentRXS.

Share Post

11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I'm tired of reading the various headlines lately about how olden songs/cartoons are considered "offensive" to people. More specifically,Rudolph. First, I don't believe that many people are offended and the article is clearly clickbait and is designed to get commenters riled up. Second, modern hip hop is so sexually explicit that it makes Erotica-era Madonna look like a nun. Why aren't people making a fuss over that? Third, if you don't like something, don't watch or listen to it. I find Christmas as a whole offensive so I do my best to avoid everything about the holiday. Its really easy to ignore something you don't like.

Because people are idiots and don't look at things from a historical perspective.  There were certain "rules" women followed back in the 40s when "Baby, it's Cold Outside" was written.  

Share Post

On 12/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, bilgistic said:

Here comes an unpopular opinion: I'm going to go so far as to say the death of a 94-year-old former president (or anyone) doesn't require "breaking" news. He was 94. Don't break into my TV programming to tell me a really, really old man (or any old person who dies because they are old) has died. He's not any less dead if you wait for the regular 11:00 news* to tell us.

Unless he died when he wrecked his Harley at Bike Week...although I can see a quick cut in to programming to announce his death, then continuing with regular programming until the regular news show.

Share Post

On 12/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, Katy M said:

A couple of friends and I were getting together this weekend. One of them told me to meet them at restaurant at 4.  She meant to say "tomorrow" but since she didn't I assumed she meant "today" Saturday.  OK, honest mistake.  No biggie.  But, what bugged me was the next day when she asked how long I had waited.  I responded that I got there at 5 til 4.  at 5 after, I called her, she didnt' answer, and then I sent a "where r u" text.  At 4:15, I sent an "I'm leaving text."  She said, "Oh, you only waited 15 minutes? That's not very long?  You should usually wait longer than that."

Well, no, I shouldn't.  She actually didn't respond back to me until 4:30 because she dint' check her phone. Again, that's fine, she didn't realize I thought we had plans.  If you can't be at most 5 minutes late without sending a text or calling, then why should I wait around for more than 15 minutes?  And, actually, she was about 7 minutes late the next night.  The other girl thought we were meeting at 4:30.  So, she was also late, and I was beginning to wonder if I was being ditched (again).

Your friend may be overall an alright person but what a bitch response. How about “oh crap!  Did I convey today?  I’m sorry!”   You got lectured for not waiting long enough when said friend would never have appeared due to the wrong day. That’s jacked on multiple levels. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

Your friend may be overall an alright person but what a bitch response. How about “oh crap!  Did I convey today?  I’m sorry!”   You got lectured for not waiting long enough when said friend would never have appeared due to the wrong day. That’s jacked on multiple levels. 

She did apologize about the mix up. Quite sincerely.  She kept saying how bad she felt.  But, the thing is we've had issues about the lateness before, and of course, we both think we're right.  So, she just took the opportunity to once again complain about how I get irritated when she's late.  

Share Post

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

She did apologize about the mix up. Quite sincerely.  She kept saying how bad she felt.  But, the thing is we've had issues about the lateness before, and of course, we both think we're right.  So, she just took the opportunity to once again complain about how I get irritated when she's late.  

Ok good. If being late is an issue with her it’s likely not to change nor is a personal affront.  They’ll show up late to first day on the job or walk in park with friend. Depending on the outing I’ll sit at a bar and socialize while waiting or purposely delay my arrival.  I’m with you and run on time.  I am glad she apologized. 

Share Post

I’m having dental surgery on Tuesday, and have to take antibiotics prior to and after the surgery. Unfortunately I am sensitive to antibiotics and very allergic to penicillin. According to the dentist and pharmacist, a minority of people who are allergic to penicillin will also have a reaction to this antibiotic as well. So I have to do a test run on the antibiotics today. The good news - no anaphylactic shock. The bad news - I’m starting to feel nauseated, which is my usual reaction to antibiotics. Ugh! This week is going to be the opposite of fun.

Share Post

Oh no!  That's quite the quandry - I hope everything goes well and you don't end up too queasy from the antibiotics.

Share Post

I know how you feel, @MargeGunderson.  Antibiotics give me nausea, and sometimes vomiting & diarrhea (I have to take the other stuff, too, because I once had a very mild reaction to Augmentin).  I hadn't been to a doc in more than a decade, then had to take Cipro for 7 days - I'd forgotten how awful it was.  The nausea is worse than the dental surgery!

Share Post

After nausea with a antibiotic a few years ago I started asking for prescription anti-nausea meds. There's one called Zolfran that doesn't make people sleepy after taking it like a lot of others do. The generic form of it is called Ondansetron. I always ask for the version you can put under your tongue for faster ingestion. Other anti nausea meds put me out like a light except for that red liquid one that's OTC. My co-pay for meds is cheaper than a bottle of that stuff though.

P.S. I know I used the word meds multiple times. I hate when I do that with words.

Share Post

8 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m having dental surgery on Tuesday, and have to take antibiotics prior to and after the surgery. Unfortunately I am sensitive to antibiotics and very allergic to penicillin. According to the dentist and pharmacist, a minority of people who are allergic to penicillin will also have a reaction to this antibiotic as well. So I have to do a test run on the antibiotics today. The good news - no anaphylactic shock. The bad news - I’m starting to feel nauseated, which is my usual reaction to antibiotics. Ugh! This week is going to be the opposite of fun.

I get it.  There are very few antibiotics I can take that don't make me puke or give me terrible abdominal cramps.    Worse than that, I got a terrible rash (purple bruises all over my les)  from ibuprofen and naproxen.   And prednisone make me crazy-anxious and irritable.   I ended up having spine surgery because any medication therapy caused more problems than they helped.

Share Post

On 11/23/2018 at 12:11 AM, DeLurker said:

I had seen my favorite Thanksgiving movie, Home for the Holidays, was a available on On Demand.  I was thrilled, but didn’t watch it cause it was too soon.

Today it is no longer available for free to me.  Now it is on a premium channel I don’t get.

Poopy.

Self peeve.

My daughter was looking for a movie to watch last night and found a brand new copy of Home for the Holidays mixed in.  I forgot that I had bought it at some point earlier this year from one of the cheapo bins at Best Buy.  Damn it!

Share Post

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Self peeve.

My daughter was looking for a movie to watch last night and found a brand new copy of Home for the Holidays mixed in.  I forgot that I had bought it at some point earlier this year from one of the cheapo bins at Best Buy.  Damn it!

I love that movie. We used to always put it on when we got home from another crazy holiday with my family.

Share Post

Why do tea lattes at Starbucks have to default to several pumps of sweetener?  Coffee drinks don't do that!  Did you know that a matcha latte has three pumps by default (according to my mobile order app)?  This is a tall.  Gross.  Thank goodness I can reduce it to zero.  But still.  

Share Post

OW. Smacked my elbow on the desk so hard that something three feet away from my elbow fell over. I'd like to know who suddenly raised the desk two inches as my elbow was coming down.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"English, motherf$%^&er, do you speak it?!?!"

image.png.8225920e332f08676464df8cc0e13dd2.png

For my fellow Grammar Nazis!!!!!

Share Post

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

For my fellow Grammar Nazis!!!!!

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Want!

Flove!

Share Post

My only quibble with what's on the mug has to do with the affect/effect split. "Affect" can be used correctly as a noun: Person A has a flat affect. And "effect" can be used correctly as a verb: The legislature effected the change in licensing requirements for massage therapists. I agree, however, that it's annoying as fuck when people consistently use those words incorrectly. At one point, I made up a sign and posted it in a room where some of my colleagues worked; I no longer remember exactly what was on my sign, but it used Star Trek references to illustrate the correct uses of both words. 

ETA: This was not my original example, but it's close enough:
Leonard Nimoy originally played the character of Mr. Spock as an alien, but with fairly human sensibilities. Very early in the series, though, he effected a change in the character. Nimoy began portraying Mr. Spock with a very flat affect. The effect of this change was to make the character more intriguing. The shift in character, though, affected Nimoy in his interactions with other cast members, as he tried to stay in character on set and so seemed less friendly than previously.

Edited by BookWoman56.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm certain I fuck up affect and effect all the fucking time.

I went to use one of those words earlier and remembered the mug and confusion ensued. I just changed the whole wording of the sentence. 

Share Post

18 hours ago, PRgal said:

Why do tea lattes at Starbucks have to default to several pumps of sweetener?  Coffee drinks don't do that!  Did you know that a matcha latte has three pumps by default (according to my mobile order app)?  This is a tall.  Gross.  Thank goodness I can reduce it to zero.  But still.  

Coffee drinks do too.  I was so happy when a kind barista told me I could ask them to adjust the number of pumps in my mocha because the standard version is too sweet.  So if you hear someone ordering a grande 2 pump mocha that might be me (the norm is 4 for a grande).

Now if I want to try a new drink, I usually just ask for 1/2 the pumps of whatever.  I don’t often try a new drink though because I am a creature of habit.  So I probably ordered something new 3x in the last decade.

Share Post

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Coffee drinks do too.  I was so happy when a kind barista told me I could ask them to adjust the number of pumps in my mocha because the standard version is too sweet.  So if you hear someone ordering a grande 2 pump mocha that might be me (the norm is 4 for a grande).

Now if I want to try a new drink, I usually just ask for 1/2 the pumps of whatever.  I don’t often try a new drink though because I am a creature of habit.  So I probably ordered something new 3x in the last decade.

Special coffee drinks do.  A latte or flat white (for example) is espresso and whatever milk you want.  No syrup.  That's why I don't get why a matcha latte isn't just matcha powder and milk.  

Share Post