Pet Peeves

A local radio station started their 24/7 Christmas music on Nov. 9th.  24/7 Christmas music is too early for me if it starts on the day after Thanksgiving, but the 9th is ridiculous!

It is one of my stations that I flip through because they play something I like every once in a while, but once the 24/7 starts I re-program the button to NPR (and then end up with 2 NPR presets).

Share Post

3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

A local radio station started their 24/7 Christmas music on Nov. 9th.  24/7 Christmas music is too early for me if it starts on the day after Thanksgiving, but the 9th is ridiculous!

It is one of my stations that I flip through because they play something I like every once in a while, but once the 24/7 starts I re-program the button to NPR (and then end up with 2 NPR presets).

Between my husband's obsession with Hallmark Christmas movies and all the premature advertising, I'm sick of Christmas already.

Share Post

I hate the holidays. For those with large, [mostly] functional families and groups of friends it's a joyous time. For the rest of us it's a big reminder as to how alone we are.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I hate the holidays. For those with large, [mostly] functional families and groups of friends it's a joyous time. For the rest of us it's a big reminder as to how alone we are.

I'm so sorry. I have lost so many loved ones in the past few years and dealing with my dad who has dementia makes it a sad time for me.

Share Post

I have a realistically-functional family and a great group of friends, but Christmas is just one day in late December -- I do not want to see/hear Christmas shit when we haven't even reached our ridiculously-early Thanksgiving yet.  The Christmas "season" gets longer and longer every year, and all that does is make me more bah humbug by the time we actually get to it.

Share Post

30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Yup, me too. I hate Christmas the most because it is so invasive-music, movies, ads. Its too much. I've seen restaurants with Christmas decorations going up on Nov. 1. All for one lousy day.

There shouldn't be annual days that people feel socially obligated to spend together. Bah humbug. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Yup, me too. I hate Christmas the most because it is so invasive-music, movies, ads. Its too much. I've seen restaurants with Christmas decorations going up on Nov. 1. All for one lousy day.

There shouldn't be annual days that people feel socially obligated to spend together. Bah humbug. 

Stick to animals. Any day you show up to feed them is Christmas to them. 

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Stick to animals. Any day you show up to feed them is Christmas to them. 

Or to love them and pet them. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Even large, mostly functional families get nutty during the holidays.  

Share Post

22 hours ago, DeLurker said:

SiriusXM has something like 18 channels of Christmas music, something for everyone, and many of them have been going since November 1.  Last year, when they started, I went to their web site, found the "Listener Feedback" link and wrote "Dear God, make it stop!!!"

Share Post

Pet Peeve: Everything being so loud. I have to wear earplugs to the movies lest I walk out with a headache from the noise. Music in the stores and in people’s homes. They don’t have a stage and it isn’t a rock concert. Someone (who needs hearing aids) told me that it’s my problem. I should have let my hearing go so all the decibels wouldn't bother me. Heck no. 

Share Post

Peeve: Unnecessary waste. 

My office supplies plastic cups for water. Instead of reusing the cup throughout the day (or better yet, bringing a cup or bottle from home) people take a new cup each time going through 4-5 cups a day, for no reason. I have been campaigning to provide everyone a plastic tumbler (that we can buy through our swag website) and discontinuing the use of plastic cups (and straws).

Same thing with plastic cutlery. Instead of having a box of plastic cutlery for people to use, each item is wrapped in plastic! So much waste! I picked up a bag of heavy duty yet disposable plastic cutlery from IKEA for about $2. They are made to be washed and reused but if I toss it by mistake it's no big deal.

2018 has approximately 261 'working days'. If you bring your lunch 4 out of 5 days you're going through several hundred plastic forks and cups a year, per person.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have to wear earplugs to the movies lest I walk out with a headache from the noise.

Yes, and I even have a slight hearing loss! Typical foam or polyurethane noise plugs block around 25-30dB, and I can still hear the movie just fine. I've always thought the audio at some theaters must be above the acceptable OSHA workplace standards of an average of 90dBa.

Edited by 2727.

Share Post