Small Talk: True Detective

Here's your spot for small talk, introductions, & off-topic discussion!

Share Post

Hi! I was a frequent True Detective poster at TWoP using the name SeniorMoment. I lurked at TWoP for over a decade but couldn't remember my login when it came time to talk about this show.

I am not ashamed (Carcosa!) to say that I loved TD. The acting was beyond brilliant, the sets were gorgeous... I am unapologetic about loving the ending and had a blast hunting down clues that nevertheless turned out to be meaningless set dressing. The True Detective thread was also one of the best discussions on the net and, believe me, I obsessively sought out them all.

I hope a few more TWoP posters will jump in here with their intros and two cents so we can carry on with the bon temps.

Share Post

TooMuchCoffee, I'm there with you!  I want to follow and discuss Matthew and TD and Woody on their journey through the Emmys, Season 2, and all the other madness.  The thread we all created over at TWOP for True Detective was truly amazing.

Diz, Far From Any Road by the Handsome Family is at the top of my Itunes most frequently played list.  I never get tired of it.

Edited by susannot.

Share Post

Hi, TooMuchCoffee, and you all! Can I just mention a quick appreciation for T Bone Burnett's contribution? He's a walking encyclopedia of musical Americana. (Is he too young for a Kennedy Center Honor? Off to request a Kennedy Center Honor thread...!!)

Share Post

Hi everyone. I didn't participate in the True Detective thread over on TWoP, but I did read all of it. I just finished it about a half-hour ago, actually. I really enjoyed reading all the extra info and in-depth predictions, even if most of it didn't pan out. I'm looking forward to reading through the topics here too since I'm not ready to give it all up yet.

Share Post

Yanno what else never got enough compliments? The opening credits. Loved, loved, loved them...the road maps merging onto Woody's scowling face, etc., etc.

Next season is going to have a great deal to live up to.

Share Post

Hi!

Totally agree A Boston Gal.  Right now, i'm having a hard time envisioning the replacement detectives / story for season 2.  I almost feel sad that We won't see Rust and Hart next season. :(

I'm hoping that the show will continue with signing on big name actors for the lead roles.  Because there will be some big shoes to fill and i'm not sure that no-name actors could fit the bill.  Thoughts on this?

Share Post

I saw an article a week or so ago that mentioned the possibility of Brad Pitt being cast in Season 2 along with maybe a female lead. I wonder who would be at the top of the list for that?

Share Post

Thanks for publishing your name change here, TooMuchCoffee/SeniorMoment. Your posts always reminded me of those of a teaching professor on the Roswell boards back in 2000 where we discussed a lot of symbolism theory that was probably way more thoughtful than anything the creators of the show imagined.

I wonder if we will still highly esteem True Detective in a dozen years.

Last night on Resurrection a scruffy guy about MM's age told the cops they need to start asking the right questions. Such a wannabe. Heh.

Share Post

Just checking in.  I have to admit that when Game of Thrones started back up, I switched gears to obsess about that saga and haven't given a lot of thought to True Detective. I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about come Emmy time.

shapeshifter - what a nice thing to say! Thanks. 

Share Post

Well alright, alright.

Just dropped in to greet y'all.  And also to let those of you who are Canadian or who can get CBC that Matthew Mc is scheduled to be a guest on George S. tomorrow (Tues. April 15).

Alright, alright!

Share Post

This link is a little old, but it's timeless info. The site Art of the Title has a post about the opening credits for True Detective. The creative director talks about the team's inspiration, the music, and how the sequence was put together.

Share Post

Nic Pizzolatto drops a few more hints about what he's planning for season two.  I hope we get some casting news soon.  Also, I'm wondering who they'll get to direct this time, since Cary Fukunaga might be too busy this time.

Share Post

I'm really excited about season 2 taking place in California!  There are lots of woodsy mountains areas and creepy towns, particulary up in the northern part of the state, that could be interesting story fodder.

Share Post

I'm really excited about season 2 taking place in California!  There are lots of woodsy mountains areas and creepy towns, particulary up in the northern part of the state, that could be interesting story fodder.

Ooooo. I know just the place--if it's still there. The abandoned mill in Weed.

Share Post

Me too. I'm from central California and was listing off assorted towns I'd like to see. I'm hoping for a town where going into the "city" means Fresno or Sacramento. 

Share Post

My wife and I just marathoned the whole series over the holiday weekend, and I'm quite shocked at how little feedback this amazing show has gotten. After having watched the Fargo series, I appreciate the grittiness of TD for having similar levels of dark violence, but treating it in a way that didn't cross the line into dark comedy or a Twin Peaks direction where there actually is mysticism effecting the characters.

I'm also kinda hoping that Season 2 will be somewhere in the Central Valley... my in-laws grew up in the greater Fresno area, and there are a lot of smaller towns that would make for interesting backdrops. That's not to say that I'm necessarily hoping Season 2 will follow the exact same "small town" format, but I'm glad to see an alternative to big city crime shows.

Share Post

Congrats to True Detective for getting some Emmy love today!  Best Drama Series, Best Actor for both Matthew and Woody, Best Writing for Nic, and Best Director for Cary.  T Bone Burnett also got in for Best Music.

Edited by thuganomics85.

Share Post

The ending's lacking. The various subplots, the symbols readily appearing throughout the series, and the larger criminal conspiracy were not developed.

Share Post

I just finished binging this show, and I loved it from start to finish.  I'm glad it had a semi-happy ending because I was sure either Martin and/or Rust were going to end up dead. 

That said, I'm glad I didn't read anything TD related on the internet while watching (I have read some since) because there certainly were a lot of theories out there (some good, others not so much) that never panned out, and I think it would have colored my viewing expectations.  For example, it never occurred to me that Martin's daughter was molested, I just thought she was troubled, and had the idea of sexual abuse been in my head, I might have actively started looking for it.  I see that a lot of folks were disappointed that the issue was either a red herring or never properly addressed.  It didn't bother me because for me, it was a nonissue as I was never expecting it.  Looking back though, I get how people came to that conclusion.  That is just one example.  There are plenty of others, but I'm sure you get the idea.  In any case, I did think the daughters were featured quite a bit, so I thought they would be more significant to the story in some way.  What I was expecting I'm not sure, just something more.  Nevertheless, I loved this show, the story, the characters, the cinematography, all of it.  I hope next season is just as good.  

I'm glad to see all the Emmy nods for the show, especially for Harrelson and McConaughey.  They were incredibly brilliant.

Edited by Fable.

Share Post

Holy shit, I just finished watching S1...fan-freakin-tastic! I was totally set to hate this show given all the buzz, boy was I wrong. Has anyone been confirmed to S2 yet? Big shoes to fill indeed.

Share Post

Holy shit, I just finished watching S1...fan-freakin-tastic! I was totally set to hate this show given all the buzz, boy was I wrong. Has anyone been confirmed to S2 yet? Big shoes to fill indeed.

Yes, but nothing definite about it yet. I'm going to ask the Mods to change the thread title for the Advance Buzz For True Detective thread to Advance Buzz For True Detective Season 2.

@DittyDotDot , if you loved TD and are going through withdrawal, you will also likely love Breaking Bad and Fargo.

Share Post

Thanks @shapeshifter, I did read through the Advance Buzz thread, but I didn't see anyone confirmed, so I thought I'd ask while I was here. Also, thanks for the tips, those are both shows I've been meaning to get to, but just haven't gotten there yet. All the buzz around Breaking Bad had me assuming I would hate it also, so now I'm a bit more optimistic. Fargo just hasn't become available for me yet, but I have it on my list for when it does.

Share Post

@DittyDotDot , if you loved TD and are going through withdrawal, you will also likely love Breaking Bad and Fargo.

I'd add Sundance’s Rectify to that list—it's also southern & very dark.

After spending 19 years on Death Row for the rape and murder of his teenage girlfriend, Daniel Holden is going home. His conviction has been vacated due to new DNA evidence, thrusting him back into a world he no longer knows. Having spent his adult life waiting to die, Daniel must now learn how to live again. But, his reentry into the outside world may be as unforgiving as prison. He is haunted by the past, dogged by the present, and uncertain of the future. As he struggles to adapt to his new life, his return will reignite the fears of a small town and threaten to shatter his family's fragile peace. Daniel's alleged crime divided a community. His freedom could tear it in half.

But I was actually popping in to say that as of September 14 True Detective is re-airing Sunday nights at 10 p.m. (and Monday at 1 a.m.) on HBO.

Share Post

Thanks editogrrl, I actually do watch Rectify, but I'm always way late to the party since I don't have cable and have to wait until becomes available through Netfix. I loved S1, though, and have been waiting with anticipation for S2.

Share Post

I posted as Charm Collector over TWOP but I just watched season one of TD for the first time a couple of weeks ago so I missed TWOP thread. This is the best show I have ever watched and Rustin Cohle is my favorite character. That is saying much because I /watch/watched Spartacus, Penny Dreadful, Game of Thrones and Outlander. All beautifully done and excellent. I give them all an A+ TD is something else altogether! I'd have to give it an A++! Resonates with me very much because of the play No Exit and the books The Stranger, Being and Nothingness and Heart of Darkness.

Share Post

I've been rewatching S1 on HBO and I think they'll be hard-pressed to match it in S2. They would have been better off doing it as a one and done mini-series.

Share Post

This was the best show I've seen all year. I watched the finale again last night and enjoyed it as much as the first time. Laughed hard and out loud when Rust and Marty are flipping each other off in the hospital. It's too bad it had to go against Breaking Bad in the Emmys this year, quality like this should be rewarded.

Share Post

A new over-the-air CBS affiliate station, Decades, has been airing "series binges." Currently finishing up is the early 1960's Route 66. It has a lot of the same themes, script style, and acting style of True Detective.

Share Post

I just wanted to bump this thread because I'm having such a good time snarking on this season with you all.

(I suppose it would be unseemly to ask for the thread title to be changed to Small Talk: Who The Fuck Is Stan?)

Share Post

Random and not sure where to put it:

I'm re watching season 1 for the first time since it aired. We make much of the fact that MM was more adept at Pizzolotto's dialogue than VV, but on rewatch I notice two things:

1) Woody Harrelson delivers his fair share of monologues, and does so with, I would argue, as much skill as MM.

2) The S1 dialogue was still occasionally florid but it fucking made sense.

Share Post

I was thinking how this season is taking a lot of cues from The Bridge (US version). We have a female lead with family issues and who can't deal with intimacy. We have a male lead with family issues who is only partly corrupt but who wants to do his job. We have a criminal who is losing control of his empire. We have very corrupt local officials. We start the season with a dead public figure. The only thing missing is a kindly superior officer/father figure for the female lead.

<slaps forehead> I've got it! The missing girl was rescued by Daniel Linder and he's hiding her in the desert.

Share Post

(I suppose it would be unseemly to ask for the thread title to be changed to Small Talk: Who The Fuck Is Stan?)

Other titles...

Are there any good fathers in the world?

This is Southwest Airlines, we found your baggage

Those would be, what they call, moot points

Share Post

I was thinking how this season is taking a lot of cues from The Bridge (US version). We have a female lead with family issues and who can't deal with intimacy. We have a male lead with family issues who is only partly corrupt but who wants to do his job. We have a criminal who is losing control of his empire. We have very corrupt local officials. We start the season with a dead public figure. The only thing missing is a kindly superior officer/father figure for the female lead.

<slaps forehead> I've got it! The missing girl was rescued by Daniel Linder and he's hiding her in the desert.

If nothing else you've made me realize how much better this show might be with a wacky, coked-up journalist. 

Share Post

Another alternate thread subtitle: Are we diminished?

Share Post

A new over-the-air CBS affiliate station, Decades, has been airing "series binges." Currently finishing up is the early 1960's Route 66. It has a lot of the same themes, script style, and acting style of True Detective.

Can't get that channel in Canada...so was there a Pizzolatto involved in that show?  

Share Post

Can't get that channel in Canada...so was there a Pizzolatto involved in that show?

Note that I posted that back in February. If I posted it now, I'd specify that it was like Season 1. But, yeah, sort of a Pizzolatto. A writer named Sterling Silliphant. The actors are alway spouting philosophy, even though they are "two drifters." One of them even has a degree in philosophy, which gives him a reason to talk that way.

Share Post

Sterling Silliphant is a fantastic name.

Another S1 rewatch note: the terms "prost" and "statch" or "statch rape" really grate and don't have the ring of authentic dialogue the way, say, the cop lingo did on The Wire. Does anyone know if these are real terms, or has anyone even heard them in non-Pizzolotto fiction?

Share Post

Sterling Silliphant is a fantastic name.

Another S1 rewatch note: the terms "prost" and "statch" or "statch rape" really grate and don't have the ring of authentic dialogue the way, say, the cop lingo did on The Wire. Does anyone know if these are real terms, or has anyone even heard them in non-Pizzolotto fiction?

I love that name too. A band should be using it.

I've heard "pross" on other crime shows, and maybe Elliot on SVU said "stach rape."

Share Post

I wish Jonathan Van Ness from Gay of Thrones would recap this show for me.

Share Post