Poll: So Many Threads…Let's Consolidate!

1. 1. Character Threads: To Merge or Not to Merge?

• Leave character threads as is.
    • One thread for all characters, excluding certain characters (ex: Sonny's Non-Appreciation thread)
    • One thread for current characters, one thread for past characters (same exclusion as above applies)
    • Family threads for characters (ex: Quartermaines, Cassadines, Scorpios, Spencers)
  2. 2. Non-Character Threads: What Should be Merged?

• Merge Media and Backstage threads
    • Merge Spoilers and Media threads
    • Merge Spoilers and Backstage threads
    • Merge Spoilers, Media, and Backstage threads
    • Merge Weddings thread with the History thread
    • Merge Ratings thread with the Media thread
    • Merge Couples That Weren't thread with the Relationships thread
    • Merge What's Your Breaking Point? thread with the Welcome to the Barge thread

We would like your input on how we reduce the number of threads in this forum. Please vote for as many options as you wish, and feel free to comment below about why you voted as you did. We will take both the votes and the comments into consideration while we discuss and come to a decision.

This poll will close on January 12, 2015.

Share Post

I think spoilers and backstage should be merged because then it's easier to talk about things Ron and Co plan on doing and how lame those plans are.  For example, who is Fluke? and Sonny's prison stint.  I like the idea of speculation/spoilers/and backstage issues being one entity. 

I'm not a big fan of multiple threads, simply because w/so many threads there ceases to be an ongoing flowing conversation.  This is why the episode thread may go off topic at times, but I'm a fan of that.  So, for characters, past and present, I'd just prefer one thread, w/maybe exception for Sonny Hate, so it's not an all Sonny thread. 

Share Post

I would even merge past characters with the history thread. Anything to do with someone or a story not currently on GH, stick it in the history thread.

I'd leave the spoilers thread by itself but everything else - media, backstage, ratings, merge those puppies.

Share Post

I would even merge past characters with the history thread. Anything to do with someone or a story not currently on GH, stick it in the history thread.

I'd leave the spoilers thread by itself but everything else - media, backstage, ratings, merge those puppies.

Second all of this.

Share Post

I think spoilers and backstage should be merged because then it's easier to talk about things Ron and Co plan on doing and how lame those plans are.  For example, who is Fluke? and Sonny's prison stint.  I like the idea of speculation/spoilers/and backstage issues being one entity. 

There might be some people who want to read backstage stuff but want to stay spoiler free though.

Share Post

There might be some people who want to read backstage stuff but want to stay spoiler free though.

I know this is the main sticking point for merging spoilers/backstage, but recently I think spoiler comments (that weren't spoilers actually) had to be moved to backstage or maybe it was vice versa.  I know some people don't like to be spoiled, but backstage and spoilers go hand in hand for me.  I'd just prefer the free flow no pressure convo of the 2 combined. Also, it's been my experience w/these forums, that soaps fans are the most "spoiled" TV fans. 

Share Post

I don't care, but never ever shall the Sonny/Carly/Liz/Jason threads be combined. The hate would open the seventh circle of hell.

Share Post

I know this is the main sticking point for merging spoilers/backstage, but recently I think spoiler comments (that weren't spoilers actually) had to be moved to backstage or maybe it was vice versa.  I know some people don't like to be spoiled, but backstage and spoilers go hand in hand for me.  I'd just prefer the free flow no pressure convo of the 2 combined. Also, it's been my experience w/these forums, that soaps fans are the most "spoiled" TV fans. 

Mostly, but I think a lot of people who would prefer to remain spoiler free kinda get pressured into discussing spoilers, so a spoiler thread is nice for that. If it does devolve into too much backstage talk it could be turned into just a place where spoilers/rumors get posted and no discussion. I just wouldn't want spoilers to come into the backstage talk. But, obviously I'm not spoiler free so I don't feel too passionate about this.

Share Post

I'm not a big fan of multiple threads, simply because w/so many threads there ceases to be an ongoing flowing conversation.  This is why the episode thread may go off topic at times, but I'm a fan of that.  So, for characters, past and present, I'd just prefer one thread, w/maybe exception for Sonny Hate, so it's not an all Sonny thread.

I kind of like having multiple threads, but I can also see how it can get difficult to decide what goes where. I don't think individual character threads are as active as the others, though. The Sonny Hate thread should definitely stay, though.

Share Post

This is GH. Rarely does a spoiler deserve the term, IMO. The cable previews that get posted are about as generic as can be: "Liz makes a decision; Sonny gets a visitor." Hardly the stuff of ruined expectations. 

Plus, Ron and Frank have been pretty successful at keeping the really big stuff under wraps.

Edited by dubbel zout.

Share Post

I definitely think Spoilers should remain as its own thread. You can merge almost everything else, but I feel somewhat strongly about it and I'm spoiled.

Share Post

ITA, with all of the above.

Same thing with the relationship threads, history/wedding thread, etc.

It's the character threads that give me the most pause. I like having a place to talk about Robin with other peo pl e who love the character as much as I do. I would be fine with having all the Scorpios in one thread thou.

Liz definitely needs her own thread. The back and forth drives me insane and having it go into a thread I don't read is blissful.

Share Post

There are officially too many threads. I find it silly that we have to have an overnight referendum on a Best Of thread just because of the too many existing threads. I am with ulkis on the merging. I always figured we could tag spoilers, but if people would rather we have an independent Spoilers thread I am fine with that.

The major issue for me, though, has nothing to do with any of that. I think the old TWOP discussion pattern was often free-flowing and divergent in many ways, touching on both the present and the past, plot and character in the same breath or in the same discussions. We were talking about a lot of things at once. I think the constant need to graft certain posts off from the Episodes thread into whatever else often hurts those discussions, when we're talking about both current developments and how they resonate with characters or couples or PTB in the past. I think something has to be done about that. To me it's as simple as letting the conversations stay where they started out - in the Episodes thread or wherever - but if other people don't like that, okay.

Share Post

There are officially too many threads. I find it silly that we have to have an overnight referendum on a Best Of thread just because of the too many existing threads. I am with ulkis on the merging. I always figured we could tag spoilers, but if people would rather we have an independent Spoilers thread I am fine with that.

I actually like having a separate spoiler thread - I remember being annoyed in the old thread at twop when there was a big spoiler we wanted to talk about and half the conversation was spoiler barred.

This is GH. Rarely does a spoiler deserve the term, IMO. The cable previews that get posted are about as generic as can be: "Liz makes a decision; Sonny gets a visitor." Hardly the stuff of ruined expectations.

Well, yeah, of course, I don't think that stuff is a big deal. But I think something like "Robin pops up in Fluke's basement on the 19th" should get one. Plus I do think things seem more predictable because I do read spoilers. I remember people were speccing Britt was pregnant with Lante's baby waaaay before I would have ever guessed it lol. Like pretty much the moment she turned up pregnant. I thought it was too bizarre and random to be true. I didn't know Ron as well back then, haha.

The major issue for me, though, has nothing to do with any of that. I think the old TWOP discussion pattern was often free-flowing and divergent in many ways, touching on both the present and the past, plot and character in the same breath or in the same discussions. We were talking about a lot of things at once. I think the constant need to graft certain posts off from the Episodes thread into whatever else often hurts those discussions, when we're talking about both current developments and how they resonate with characters or couples or PTB in the past. I think something has to be done about that. To me it's as simple as letting the conversations stay where they started out - in the Episodes thread or wherever - but if other people don't like that, okay.

I think it depends - I think if we go off topic for a couple of posts, like say 10 or so, then it should stay as is because we usually get back to the main topic of conversation (i.e., the current crop of GH episodes) naturally. But I like having a history thread, because sometimes I want to just talk really random past shit about GH. And the backstage thread I think is good. I mean, if I was making this up, for the main threads, I would have 4 threads and that's about it - GH present, GH past, Spoilers, and then backstage/media/actors, etc etc (which reminds me, I vote for merging the GH cast in other roles to the Media thread). And then people can just start random game threads if they want too. Relationships I guess could be kept separate as well.

Edited by ulkis.

Share Post

I think the constant need to graft certain posts off from the Episodes thread into whatever else often hurts those discussions, when we're talking about both current developments and how they resonate with characters or couples or PTB in the past. I think something has to be done about that.

I 100% agree.  This was the point I couldn't verbalize above about not being a fan of multiple threads, but being a fan of the episode thread going off topic.  Sometimes, it can't just be the current episode we're discussing, it's more than that--it's character, it's the history I know of the show versus what another fan knows.  It's all relevant. 

OTOH, I think the problem w/free flow comes in two ways.  What Ulkis noted about spoilers taking over and when we get pages and pages of Liz-Hate, for example, when I, personally, have no interest in that particular convo. 

Share Post

I think having a History/Past thread is great, but all intergenerational discussion that relates back to the present should not end up there. This is a soap opera that's over fifty years old, and generational storytelling is a huge part of current plotlines. So basically I am with ulkis again.

Share Post

I think there are some threads that are just superfluous.  Like the one about what was the worst (?) in 2014; what we liked or didn't like, because we say what we like and don't like in the episode thread anyway. Besides, GH isn't like prime time shows that have seasons.

Just my .02.

Share Post

I think spoilers should definitely stay their own topic.  I don't mind spoilers, but there are some people who really avoid them.  Those members shouldn't be forced to read spoilers to participate in another topic (like Backstage or Media).  

As for characters - I think if a character generates a lot of discussion, they should have their own thread.  Otherwise, maybe group by family or some other common traits (the PCPD, the hospital, the mob).  

I agree that the Episode thread should have some leeway.  It shouldn't devolve into a bash session on any specific character for a few pages, but it also shouldn't be strictly "talk about what happened in the most recent episode."  People don't watch on the same schedule.  Also, current events are impacted by past events.  So we need to be able to discuss the past sometimes when discussing the present.  This is an old example, but it's the first thing that popped into my head - when Sonny set that car bomb to get Johnny (which almost ended up killing Kristina), it's only natural that people are going to re-live "Clink-Boom" and discuss how that makes what Sonny did even more heinous.  If that spirals out into people re-hashing decade old stories without relevance to the current day goings on, then it may need to be coaxed over into the History thread.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that soaps are unique in the amount of history they have, and events happening now are going to bring to mind things that happened years or decades earlier.  We might sometimes want to discuss why something a character is doing today is out of character based on their history.  And that may generate some discussion about how differently some of us viewed that history.  As long as it doesn't become the sole focus of the thread for multiple pages, I don't think it's a problem. 

Share Post

I want spoilers to stay a separate thread. I sometimes read the backstage thread and would not want to come across upcoming events. Other than that I don't care, I mostly just read the current episodes thread.

I will say, though when we were first setting up shop here and I advocated for one free-form conversation like we had at TWoP, I think a lot of stuff I would not care to read has siphoned off to the character threads and I am glad for that.

Edited by annabel.

Share Post

I only really have one preference, if possible: For some characters to still have their own threads. Sonny, Carly, Rob, etc.

Share Post

I'm more of a lurker here than a poster, because usually by the time I watch an episode everything has been said. I avoid plot spoilers, and am a fan of the current configuration where I can read backstage gossip, etc. without encountering spoilers. Admittedly, reading casting spoilers usually leads to a bit of plot spoiler but in some cases (looking at you, Michelle Stafford), it's better for my mental health to know in advance. 

I appreciate the moderators here, who are regular posters participating in discussions, but also keep the forums on subject in a positive and productive way. And for the most part posters are great about not putting spoilers into the episode discussions. Thanks, everyone!

Share Post

Me! Me! I stopped seeking out GH spoilers around 3 years ago, and my enjoyment of the show has improved exponentially. I'd like to keep it that way--the current spoiler thread seems to actually contain nearly all the spoiler references, which I'm quite impressed by. However, I don't know why people couldn't discuss backstage issues there, assuming they were talking about them in relation to spoilers. Why would the current Backstage thread need to be collapsed into the Spoilers thread to do that?

I do think Backstage and in the Media should be together--too much overlap as it is. I love the topic name for Unpopular Opinions, but I don't see why people can't just post them in the episode discussion as it comes up. I think doing that would actually help foster discussion and break up some of what appears to be uniformity of opinion on the board. 

I think History can pretty easily absorb most past character/relationship threads, but I agree that some characters need a thread for the common debates that come up: Saint or Sinner Liz, Who's the Best Carly?, How Greasy is Sonny, really?, etc. Maybe what we need is not character specific but debate specific for those topics as they come up. I'm sure old timers could come up with a good list of the topics that always rear their heads again.

Spec without Spoilers could be incorporated into the Episode Thread, I think, as long as speculation is understood to be allowed but not specifically citing spoilers.

I think Stars in Other Roles and Nicknames should remain separate threads. I don't really use the game threads and the rest of the ones I haven't mentioned, so I don't have much of an opinion on those.

Share Post

My Opinion:

Merge Backstage, Ratings, and Media
Merge Couples That Weren't with Relationships
Merge What's Your Breaking Point? with Welcome to the Barge

I'm also OK with family threads and a specific character thread for I Hate Sonny & Fluke.  But who is to decide which characters get hate threads? 

I use episode, fashion, spoilers, and speculation.  And once went to history when directed.  Otherwise, it's really too many.

Edited by Lola16.

Share Post

I think a lot of the threads can be merged, save for the Sonny, Carly, Liz, and Sam thread. Why? The epic levels of um feels those characters create just needs to be contained. Liz/Carly, Liz/Sam, Sam/Carly, Liz/Sam, Liz/Carly and Sonny/the world shall never meet. It's God's law. We shant question it.

I do miss having a blind item thread because Jacob Young was the answer to everything. Too bad Steve Burton broke the one on twop.

Share Post

I love the idea of family threads -- Scorpios, Qs, Corinthii, The Coven (Alex & her girls) -- but I think some specific character threads should stay active.  You've got to have a place to rant about Sonny, about Carly, and I have a feeling the LIz/Sam wars are going to need a page of their own too!  :)

Thank you for putting forth the effort to not only improve this board, but your work in soliciting our opinions.  It means a lot to me -- I came here as a displaced twoper, and you guys saved my internet sanity with your welcoming attitude and positive approach.  It's nice to know someone is listening.  

Edited to add: you could put up a poll for characters threads asking (for each character) whether they should be merged into their family thread or stay separate.  Presumably only the people who feel strongly will vote, and we'll end up with a well-balanced load.

Edited by minirth.

Share Post

I like the idea of family threads. Certain things, like Hating Sonny, should be able to be it's own thing just because, but generally a lot of character discussion will involve family, so why not? I just makes it easier not to have to pick a thread for certain things, like, "I can't stand how Dante is always around to arrest people for his brothers, but his wife and/or baby can be stolen and those self involved idiots are too busy Kiki-sitting to notice" which is just as much as talking about Michael and Morgan sucking as it does talking about Dante. Also, I think it'll save a lot of having to eventually move conversations to other threads, going off topic, ect.

I hope this doesn't make me sound as stupid as Sonny, but I feel like past/current characters being just two lumps could get confusing. I mean, until two weeks ago Spinelli was a "past character", but he just popped up. So it kind of seems like a guideline might need to be set as too if-so-and-so isn't mentioned in X-time they are "Past". 

I like the idea of Spoilers just being spoilers, but all other media lumped in together.

Share Post

I get tired of posters who are one-note ranters.  Yes, I understand you don't like character X.  But you spend more time talking about your dislike of that character than having anything positive or interesting to say about the rest of the show.  Having separate character/couple posts for folks that want to do that means they have a place to air their viewpoints and I don't have to read about it.

I like having Spoilers just being spoilers, and everything else (media, backstage, etc) lumped together.

Share Post

I like the idea of family threads. Certain things, like Hating Sonny, should be able to be it's own thing just because, but generally a lot of character discussion will involve family, so why not? I just makes it easier not to have to pick a thread for certain things, like, "I can't stand how Dante is always around to arrest people for his brothers, but his wife and/or baby can be stolen and those self involved idiots are too busy Kiki-sitting to notice" which is just as much as talking about Michael and Morgan sucking as it does talking about Dante. Also, I think it'll save a lot of having to eventually move conversations to other threads, going off topic, ect.

I hope this doesn't make me sound as stupid as Sonny, but I feel like past/current characters being just two lumps could get confusing. I mean, until two weeks ago Spinelli was a "past character", but he just popped up. So it kind of seems like a guideline might need to be set as too if-so-and-so isn't mentioned in X-time they are "Past". 

I like the idea of Spoilers just being spoilers, but all other media lumped in together.

Spinelli only appeared for a day or two, so I'd say he would still belong in the past category no matter what. I mean, I think the mods will give us some leeway on characters like that - but past characters imo the bulk should/would be characters who haven't appeared in a long while, Stefan, Dominique, Audrey, Frisco, Lois, etc etc. But I could go for simply merging past characters with the history thread. In fact that would probably be better.

Share Post

Can we maybe get a temporary thread for everyone to vent their spleen about KA/Kiki?  

Share Post

I definitely don't want spoilers merged with any other thread.  I like to pop in to the media and backstage threads on occasion, but I do not want any spoilers.  I don't even read the tagged spoilers in the daily thread.  The spoiler thread should include only actual spoilers, not stuff from the cable guides or interviews or whatever else is publicly and easily accessible.

Speaking of the daily thread, I agree that it is sometimes helpful to the discussion for some comments to veer away from the daily episode.  For example, discussing the history of a character or relationship can help shed light on what's happening currently, like discussing the history of Sonny hanging AJ on a hook to steal Michael.  I don't want all of those technically off-topic posts removed from the daily thread.  That said, if the discussion veers too far, the side conversation should be taken to a different thread.  I make a point to read every post in the main thread before posting, and it's so tedious to wade through pages of debate about how terrible Liz is or what a loser Patrick is.  I think the moderators do a great job with that, but I also think that all of us who post could work on doing a better job of self-moderating on that front.  

Would it be possible to have some sort of running character thread, with a title that could change when one certain character is likely to the most talked about?  Like, this week it would be something about Kiki because she's going to be a focus of character discussion.  It could change to reflect what people want to talk about most.  I imagine this thread being for current discussion about various characters, but then also have family character threads to discuss history or overarching themes.  And I would like to see the family threads have a sticky post listing who is included in that family, for clarity.  Michael is a prime example, but a lot of characters are part of two (or more!) main families, and so it could get confusing.  

Or is it possible to have sub-threads?  Maybe have a "Character" thread with several sub-threads?  Although I guess that doesn't really solve the problem.  

Share Post

I definitely don't want spoilers merged with any other thread.  I like to pop in to the media and backstage threads on occasion, but I do not want any spoilers.  I don't even read the tagged spoilers in the daily thread.  The spoiler thread should include only actual spoilers, not stuff from the cable guides or interviews or whatever else is publicly and easily accessible.

Speaking of the daily thread, I agree that it is sometimes helpful to the discussion for some comments to veer away from the daily episode.  For example, discussing the history of a character or relationship can help shed light on what's happening currently, like discussing the history of Sonny hanging AJ on a hook to steal Michael.  I don't want all of those technically off-topic posts removed from the daily thread.  That said, if the discussion veers too far, the side conversation should be taken to a different thread.  I make a point to read every post in the main thread before posting, and it's so tedious to wade through pages of debate about how terrible Liz is or what a loser Patrick is.  I think the moderators do a great job with that, but I also think that all of us who post could work on doing a better job of self-moderating on that front.  

At that point if a conversation is that circular it would seem the best thing to do would be to nix it altogether. Honestly there's always probably gonna be one conversation that's over-discussed at one time or another; at that point scrolling (or putting someone on ignore, at least temporarily) is probably the best bet.

Share Post