All Episodes Talk: That Soap Where The Plane Crashed

I knew as soon as I saw her prominently featured in the promo for the SUMMER DISASTER that Ruby was dead.

Share Post

And Val, too. Poor Val.

I agree with those who think Ross isn't really, most sincerely dead.

Share Post

I know, poor Val.  It wasn't a huge shock because we knew the actress was leaving, but still, I always loved her.

What I did not love was the prominence Amy got re: people who love Val when Diane was listing them.  Blech.

Share Post

More thoughts - watching this week's episodes, I realized there's something Ellen Pompeo-ish about Louise Marood, yes?  I've actually come around on Chrissie quite a bit.

And oh man, Diane was so heartbreaking when they brought Val out.

Share Post

Ross is definetly not dead.

I can't believe that Pete had not only killed his brother (in his eyes) but is actually going to take Debbie back. How pathetic.

Ross is a great character so I'm glad he's probably not dead but man, the character is absolutely wasted on Debbie. She's so miserable and really not worth all the damage shes caused. I'm not looking forward to Ross coming back So that he and Pete can continue having the same fight over and over.

Loving Chrissie right now and the random alliance with Chas.

Share Post

I've always found Pete extremely boring, but turning him into Cameron isn't the way to address that.  And I hate that Debbie is getting away scot-free with cheating on him with his brother and will thus have the "moral high ground" when she finds out about Ross.

Edited by TeeVee329.

Share Post

Exactly. I'm sick of Cain and everyone else acting like the affair was all Ross's fault and Debbie was some sort of innocent being in it all.

Share Post

I thought the lodge episodes with Aaron/Robert were really good. Danny and Ryan acted the hell out of them. Aaron/Robert are a toxic mess but they are riveting to watch. At least in episodes like that where they aren't playing the same scenes over and over for months. The actors play off each other really well and with their popular fanbase no doubt they will go back to this pairing in the future.

The reveal of the affair was really good, even though I didnt want Aaron to be the one to reveal it because he has done it more than once, but he deserved it after the hell Robert put him through at the lodge. But the aftermath of the affair was pretty bad. Pretty much no reaction from Vic/Andy/Diane that it was Aaron Robert was with. Aaron pretty much disappeared off screen, which isnt surprising, sadly, since he has no scenes with people that aren't Robert, Chas or Paddy for months. Adam didnt really have a reaction to the affair either only about the money. How has Chrissie not made a bigger deal out of Aaron being not only her husbands mistress but one of the robbers. Its like they forgot that plot point.

Not to mention there has been no aftermath of the lodge eps. Like Aaron was hit over the head with a bottle, held hostage and held at gunpoint by someone he loved and he is just walking around all smiles and laughs like he is perfectly fine. I know its a soap but he would not be okay. It also doesnt help that Paddy is just blaming him/guilting him. When it was his letter that set off the chain reactions. He has just really annoyed me lately. But I blame that on the shotty writing in the lead up to the lodge episodes.

I find this Chas/Chrissie new found friendship to be really forced. 

I'm trying to like Chrissie but the actress doesn't help things. 

The disaster was good but I dont care about Ross/Debbie/Pete so the majority of it was meh. I like Ross but not with Debbie. She brings him down plus they have no chemistry. Not to mention their so called love story was rushed. I will miss Val. No way is Ross dead. He will come back eventually.

Good for Chrissie for doing the right thing and confessing right away. I thought they would drag it out. 

Share Post

I find this Chas/Chrissie new found friendship to be really forced.

I did like, at the hen party, how Belle and I think Victoria were like, "They're friends?  Isn't that fucking weird?".  Because it's what we're all thinking, even though I do think Chas can kinda relate given what happened with Carl and Eve.

I also liked Chrissie's comment after Moira slugged her for the Cain kiss.  "There's only one person in my marriage sleeping with another man and it's not me!"  Heh.

Edited by TeeVee329.

Share Post

Yeah, I was glad people commented how weird it was they were friends. IDK Id rather Chas have scenes with her son than Chrissie. I know she doesnt know about what happened with Robert/Paddy but I don't know her palling around with Chrissie just rubs me the wrong way.

Speaking of Moira hitting Chrissie I cant believe Chrissie didn't slap either Robert or Aaron. I was looking forward to some good Chrissie/Aaron scenes but besides that one small scene of her berating Aaron for going after her husband, and Aaron brilliantly telling her it was Robert going after him, there has been no interaction with the 2. Aaron has been pretty non existent in the aftermath of his own affair.

Share Post

Was surprised Emmerdale is on previously - Robron brought me here. It is so frustrating following their storyline (which I friggin love) as it goes on hiatus so often. I do appreciate Europeans actually get vacations, so they can't be on the screen five days a week, but it is very frustrating.

However, the summer 'fate' (ouch) was the storyline that made me get the rest of the soap. Cain and Moira are one of the best star-crossed soap couples anywhere. The two sisters in the mirror maze were great actresses. Even the cheesy special effects were well done in a soapy kind of way. 

Share Post

How has Debbie completed evaded any responsibility over her affair with Ross? The only person calling her out on how shit a person she is is Emma and even at that everyone is acting like Emma's the one in the wrong.

Share Post

That's because she's a dirty Dingle. They always win.

Edited by Amello.

Share Post

Got caught up on Emmerdale.  I actually liked the Rewind episode, Innovative idea for a soap. 

I like that we saw the seeds sown for a couple of upcoming storylines (Ashley's dementia and Paddy's cheating). 

The only disappointment for me is that the killer was...Ross!!!  I don't mind the actor but Ross is quickly becoming overused and over exposed.  Let some of the other actors have some screen time.

BTW, I hope these lingering looks and loaded conversations  between Bob and Harriet aren't leading to an affair.

Share Post

I've always thought that throwing Aaron's estranged bio dad Gordon into the mix could really stir up some soapy story for Aaron, Chas, even Paddy, so I'm interested in the show reintroducing him and seeing where it goes. 

When last we saw him, Gordon was married, right?  And he has another kid?

Share Post

Aaron first seeing Gordon by him showing up and interrupting Aaron and Paddy's father/son chat was a nice touch.

Does Gordon know Aaron's gay?

Share Post

Aaron first seeing Gordon by him showing up and interrupting Aaron and Paddy's father/son chat was a nice touch.

Does Gordon know Aaron's gay?

He didn't. Diane told him.

Share Post

Thanks, I've missed a few in between his first appearance and his showing up in the village.  Did he have a problem with it?  I'll have to find the clip.

Share Post

Thanks, I've missed a few in between his first appearance and his showing up in the village.  Did he have a problem with it?  I'll have to find the clip.

He was a bit surprised, but didn't seem to have any problem with it at all.

Share Post

I can already tell that the Ashley's dementia storyline is gonna have me in tears at the end.  Well written storyline thus far, and the actor is doing a great job.

Gabby? I liked the old one, even though her face wasn't very expressive.  Just thought it a little strange that they introduced the new actress so soon after the previous actress was on screen.  Usually there is a break in seeing the character for a few weeks at least to "explain" the change in actor.

Share Post

Yesterday again underscored the difference between telling a story for "issues" or to get praise from the media, and telling it because you believe in it.

The writing for Aaron's abuse story has been consistently clumsy and poor, as has all the writing for Aaron and Chas since his affair with Robert began. Characters react in brain-dead ways to amp up the melodrama, without any seeming awareness that this type of writing severely undercuts any dramatic power. Robert believes, after one conversation with Gordon, that Aaron is making up being raped throughout his childhood, but hey, who cares, because they got a "hook" out of it (Is Aaron making up his abuse? Tune in tomorrow...) and Robert said sorry. Why should I believe that Robert cares so much when it took about 2 minutes for him to assume Aaron has completely deluded himself about years of rape?

Chas, who has always loved her son even when she hurt him and behaved selfishly, repeatedly takes cheap digs at him and freezes him out when he's clearly, clearly suffering...all because her dream prince (a man she left and a man who recently confessed to her that he brutally beat Aaron) left her? Who cares, because this just means it will be more powerful when she learns the truth. Well, not really - it just makes me not feel anything other than anger at the hack writing, because if she is so petty now, when any idiot could see that he needs a lot of help (only last week he was about to keel over while talking to her, flinching in pain when she got near, and he then vanishes for days - and her only reaction is to think he's having some type of ribald sexathon with Robert?), am I supposed to feel for her when it takes learning that her son was raped by her latest love of her life for her to give a damn? Chas would never treat her son like this. She would never be such a petty, passive-aggressive child.

I've heard people say that Danny Miller isn't talented enough to carry the story, or that Aaron has had too many tragedies for viewers to care, and I can understand why people feel this way, but he is actually the ONLY part of this story so far that has helped make it less ridiculous and offensive for me.

On the other hand, while I do not like the idea of Laurel being pregnant on top of Ashley's dementia, and while some of the writing has felt rushed, the show has still taken pains to show a variety of utterly believable reactions, has taken pains to ground the melodrama, and most of all, to try to write those involved in character.

The contrast between these stories as they air in the same episodes this week has been somewhat striking. That one scene of Nicola and Laurel talking about abortion, or Doug making Ashley see his selfishness, had more impact than anything with Aaron's abuse story so far.

Why is Kate Oates so oddly cavalier and sensationalistic about sexual abuse? Why does she consistently do such a poor job with sexual abuse stories? If she treats them so cavalierly, why does ITV keep letting her do them?

Given that Corrie had a terribly done, offensive rape story only a few years ago with Carla, I shudder to think of what is on the way with Oates at the helm.

And I know they don't have the budget to have a ton of people around outside but did no one in the village even notice or care that pigs were roaming the streets, tearing up lawns and destroying property?

Share Post

So are Zak and Joanie go be a permanent fixture then? I absolutely despise her high and mighty attitude and compete lack of shame over everything she's done. I was hoping at this stage she'd have had some sort of comeuppance but I get the impression the writers want us to route for them.

Share Post

What is with Denise Black (Joanie)'s right hand? Has it been this way ever since she started on the show? It seems withered.

I think Isobelle Steele (Liv) shows promise. She reminds me of Jodie Foster when she was a child actress.

Edited by TimWil.

Share Post

The non-Edna stories were about what I expected, and thankfully didn’t take up much time.

Other than my annoyance that Edna’s family was not there (instead going on a “day trip” - even though Lily and her son had a terrible relationship after he found out she was his mother and even though Eve hadn’t had much contact with her father or Lily that we ever knew of), and a bit too much of Kerry being sour (they have gotten the balance wrong with this character in recent months), I thought the scenes were done well enough.

I wasn’t really expecting to be emotionally affected, but Pearl’s goodbye to her, and Sandy and Ashley saying their own goodbyes, were very poignant, and very real. I felt like I was there with them, somehow. 

I’m also glad they remembered her relationship with the Kings, and Jimmy’s fondness for her. It was a nicely done scene.

I also loved the last scene of Sandy celebrating with Edna, real or imagined, over helping Ashley through his crisis of faith. Freddie Jones and John Middleton are perhaps the most underrated acting pair in Emmerdale. 

And the beautiful shots of the countryside and community were also a nice touch.

So overall I’d say I’m pleased, and I think Shirley got the respect she deserved. As did Edna. 

Even after all these months, I miss her as much as ever. But I’m glad I got to say goodbye. 

Share Post

My lord, that was a tough watch. John Middleton was amazing.  I was crying for pretty much all of it.

Share Post

20 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

My lord, that was a tough watch. John Middleton was amazing.  I was crying for pretty much all of it.

I haven't had access to the show in over 10 years and just read about this episode on the BBC.  I have to admit my first thought was - Why Ashley?  Hasn't he suffered enough?

Share Post

Over a year! Anyway, Emmerdale has blundered into something great with Charity and Vanessa. I hope they don't mess it up. Watching Charity properly fall in love would be great for her character, and Emma Atkins would be typically fantastic.

Share Post

Ooooh good twist with Debbie's boytoy being Chris Tate's son Joseph out for revenge on Charity.  Nice delve into the show's history.

Share Post

Excellent.

i did have to laugh at Debbie's dramatic "so all this to get at me" comment after he listed every possible way in which Charity had ruined his life and how his whole life basically revolves around getting her back for it.

Share Post

Ugh, Debbie.  She's so annoying, it's often quite hard to feel bad for her when she gets kicked in the teeth.

I wonder if we're going to see more Tates.  There's Kim, obviously.  And I know the actress who played Zoe is quite ill, but that character had a daughter as well, didn't she?  And then there's Noah, that could be interesting, if he gets curious about his bio dad and half-brother.

Edited by TeeVee329.

Share Post

Oh Charity, telling Noah to stay away from Joseph just guarantees he's going to seek out Joseph all the quicker lol.

Share Post

On 24/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, Gulftastic said:

Over a year! Anyway, Emmerdale has blundered into something great with Charity and Vanessa. I hope they don't mess it up. Watching Charity properly fall in love would be great for her character, and Emma Atkins would be typically fantastic.

So excited for this. I REALLY hope this is the direction they take it.  Both Emma Atkins and Michelle Hardwick are very good actresses and I'd never have thought of these two characters as having romatic chemistry, but they really do.

I hope Vanessa isn't too put off by Charity having done a massive dump on Joe Tate's carpet though (I couldn't believe the "you might want to give it 5 minutes" comment - hilarious!).

Please, Emmerdale, don't stuff it up!!!

Share Post

The show did a good job with the Whites' car crash, both the actual stunt and the tension in the car as Lachlan's mania ramped up in those final moments.  I'm kinda whatever about Lawrence, but I did kinda come around on Chrissie, or at least the actress, she was fun to watch, so her death made me a little sad.

I do think there's this weird undercurrent that the Whites needed to be wiped out/punished because the Robert/Aaron fanbase demanded it, for daring to interfere with their love, never mind everything Robert did to them, I guess.

Relatedly, I am excited that Joe Tate bought Home Farm from them.

Share Post

Yeah it seems to be universally unpopular opinion to dislike Robron but I can't stand them or either character. I think the fan pandering to them has been awful for the show. I didn't even watch on Christmas Day because I knew it centred solely on them.

Share Post

I liked them quite a lot in the beginning, but yeah, the obnoxious entitlement of that fanbase and the pandering of the show and sites like Digital Spy to them has really soured me.  I think it started when they viciously turned on Paddy for not liking Robert when I think it's perfectly reasonable for Paddy to have doubts about the dude who tried to murder him.  I'm sure they're furious Rebecca isn't dead.

Share Post

Yeah even though it's painfully obvious Rebecca's whole existence was to give Robron a child so I'm assuming she'll bite it soon.

Share Post

So Joseph and Noah met.  Joseph seemed keen to, which was a little surprising given what he said to Charity when he revealed himself about not believing Noah is actually his half-brother.  I'm really curious and hopeful that this goes somewhere.

Pete and Rhona...whaaa?

Share Post

Really like that spoiler about

Hannah Barton coming back having transitioned off-screen and returning as Matty Barton.  It fits quite nicely for me, given Hannah's long absence.

Share Post

Liking the introduction of Matty Barton so far.  Ash Palmisciano is really good.  And I like how the show used Hannah's long absence in crafting this story, both in that it set up a realistic time frame for Hannah to have come to this self-realization and transitioned into Matty, but allowing Moira - in addition to struggling with her daughter now being her son - to call him out on having abandoned her through the many, MANY crises the Bartons have gone through lately.

Share Post

That little spark between Matty and Victoria today was more interesting than the entirety of Victoria's relationship with Adam.

Share Post

I do really like that, in introducing two new members into the Dingle and Barton clans, they went a different, creative way instead of Xeroxing a character archetype that's worked before.  I'm really digging both Ryan and Matty.

OTOH, I think it's lame that Joe Tate is now just Debbie's whipped love interest like all the others.

Edited by TeeVee329.

Share Post