Jump to content

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

Nathan is in Australia.

For those who wonder if conventions are a money maker for actors, here is the lineup for pictures and autographs. I understand that NF charges $80 for an autograph and $100 for a picture.

CxBXttgUkAAZrZL.jpg

0

Share Post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

Susan Sullivan will appear on The Real McCoys.

I assume you mean The Real O'Neals on ABC. That was one discussed before, where it was mentioned that Martha Plimpton is a cast member.  :-)

0

Share Post


Link to post

Watched The Real O'Neals and Nathan's second Modern Family episode.  Can't say I laughed much with either show.  Okay, I laughed at Nathan's character Rainer's quip about hair. :P  But yeah, neither did much for me because maybe sitcom style comedies don't do much for me anymore.  I did appreciate on a shallow level how Rainer's suit fit him much better than any of Castle's! ;)

I had no idea Martha Plimpton was on that show!  Kind of a waste of her talents, if you ask me. Then again, I've only watched one episode.  Had to get used to seeing Susan without a wig and not as a redhead.  It's like back to Dharma & Greg days.

I hope neither Nathan nor Susan or others get typecast as certain kinds of characters, but it's probably hard not to be perceived as being good at playing a certain type after you've had a career for some time. 

Edited by madmaverick.
0

Share Post


Link to post

Nathan was on the first episode of the Netflix show Santa Clarita Diet, with Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant.  Offbeat kind of show but kind of interesting.  Don't watch while you're eating!

He's also guested on some Modern Family episodes this season and will be guesting on Brooklyn Nine Nine soon, playing an actor who played a cop on TV and thinks he can solve crimes because he played a cop.  Meta enough? Sounds a bit like the Nikki Heat Castle ep. 

Jon's on This is Us, of course.  Who knows, he might end up more known as Miguel than Esposito.  Good career move there. 

Stana's filming Absentia, air date to be determined. 

Anyone watched Training Day, the show from ex Castle writers?

Edited by madmaverick.
1

Share Post


Link to post

I've been watching Santa Clarita Diet.

Has anyone else noticed that Drew Barrymore is not a very good actress. The daughter leaves her in the dust and Timothy Olyphant is  marvellous.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I've never been a big fan of Drew Barrymore myself... maybe the show is geared towards dark comedy, but I didn't find that she and Olyphant had anywhere near the chemistry of Nathan and Stana.

Stana's new show, Absentia, will be airing on AXN in some countries and on Crackle, Sony's streaming platform.  

Nathan is filming Nomis, a psychological thriller with Henry Cavill, Alexandra Daddario, Ben Kingsley, Stanley Tucci, Minka Kelly etc.  I'm hoping he'll be playing a different kind of role and share some scenes with Kingsley and Tucci in particular.  He is also going to be voicing Cars 3.

0

Share Post


Link to post

^^ and he commented on Twitter about being in the gym, so that seems like it bodes well [hides back in shallow end]

Edited by mledawn.
2

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mledawn said:

^^ and he commented on Twitter about being in the gym, so that seems like it bodes well [hides back in shallow end]

The idea of Nathan and Henry Cavill working out together, or even "intensely resting" :P, in a gym would send most to the shallow end. 

Think it's a combination of Nathan being in better shape, plus better lighting and wardrobe, but he's looked better in his post Castle screen appearances than he did on Castle.

0

Share Post


Link to post
13 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Stana's new show, Absentia, will be airing on AXN in some countries and on Crackle, Sony's streaming platform.  

Does that mean it won't actually be making it to cable here in the US? Too bad, it sounded interesting.

Stana's projects always start off sounding promising but then don't get great distribution. Streaming is certainly a big deal now, but I didn't even know Sony had a streaming platform. It's not exactly Netflix.

0

Share Post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Does that mean it won't actually be making it to cable here in the US? Too bad, it sounded interesting.

Roku and/or Amazon Fire devices are rather cheap now. All you need is one of those and an internet connection and one can watch Crackle.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:59 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Roku and/or Amazon Fire devices are rather cheap now. All you need is one of those and an internet connection and one can watch Crackle.

You can also watch from the Crackle app, if you're so inclined, or on a PC with the Flash player. No doubt you can watch on Macs too, but I'm not geared up to speak about that.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Catching up with programs on the DVR and there was Reuben/Captain Montgomery on Designated Survivor.  Looks and sounds the same and it reminds me of how much I missed him on Castle.  I liked Gates, too, but Roy Montgomery was the best.

2

Share Post


Link to post
On 2017-03-14 at 4:59 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Roku and/or Amazon Fire devices are rather cheap now. All you need is one of those and an internet connection and one can watch Crackle.

When you say 'watch' do you mean pay for?

Because I am really annoyed that many shows I would love to see I have to pay for.

I don't mind $8CDN a month for Netflix, but add in Crave (for Letterkenny-- which is amazingly funny if you can imagine Trailer Park Boys with more swearing and less weed) and my Scottish heritage kicks in. Never mind all the ones I can't get here in Canada.
Still annoyed about not being able to see ConManSeason 2 .

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 4/8/2017 at 7:38 PM, femmefan1946 said:

When you say 'watch' do you mean pay for?

Because I am really annoyed that many shows I would love to see I have to pay for.

I don't mind $8CDN a month for Netflix, but add in Crave (for Letterkenny-- which is amazingly funny if you can imagine Trailer Park Boys with more swearing and less weed) and my Scottish heritage kicks in. Never mind all the ones I can't get here in Canada.
Still annoyed about not being able to see ConManSeason 2 .

The cost for Crackle is your time.  It is commercial-supported and "free".  Crackle has changed it's ad structure so you "binge-watch" the ads.  Not good enough for me.  I'd rather pay. 

Edited by TWP.
0

Share Post


Link to post

Binge watching ads?  Yikes.  Doesn't sound appealing.

Only peripherally connected to Castle with the James Patterson connection, but I still had a laugh when I read about this.

Even Richard Castle wouldn't be so shameless, I don't think!  

Made me think of that scene where Castle puts books to his forehead and magically writes blurbs for the books he's sent to review.

Nathan will be guesting in Brooklyn Nine Nine this week and looks to be playing Castle in another life where he's an actor playing police detective heh.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Here's a sneak peek of Nathan on Brooklyn 99:  

Link

The official Absentia Twitter announced that Absentia won't be airing on Crackle in the US anytime soon.  This is actually good news for Absentia.  I'm hoping they find a good home for it.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Penny JJ appears in the new Fox science fiction comedy https://www.facebook.com/TheOrville/

Also Donna Prepon who was in a couple of episodes as the actress who was going to play Nikki Heat.

Hoping it won't go the way of Powerless. I like my SF tongue in cheek.

BTW - some of the graphics in the trailer are very reminiscent of Firefly- especially the landing at Persephone. Very out of date.

Edited by femmefan1946.
0

Share Post


Link to post

Completed seasons of Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion's Con Man will be on Syfy this fall.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/syfy-con-man-broadcast-september-1201858456/

Nathan will also be in season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix.

I read that Charlize Theron is going to guest star in The Orville, which sounds like a big get to me, and probably means they won't be cancelled by Fox too soon. ;) 

Stana's Absentia will be airing in Canada this fall, I think, as well as selected countries with AXN.

Jon will be continuing in This is Us season 2, and probably for many seasons to come by the looks of it.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/22/2017 at 6:11 AM, madmaverick said:

Completed seasons of Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion's Con Man will be on Syfy this fall.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/syfy-con-man-broadcast-september-1201858456/

Nathan will also be in season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix.

I read that Charlize Theron is going to guest star in The Orville, which sounds like a big get to me, and probably means they won't be cancelled by Fox too soon. ;) 

Stana's Absentia will be airing in Canada this fall, I think, as well as selected countries with AXN.

Jon will be continuing in This is Us season 2, and probably for many seasons to come by the looks of it.

Molly recently finished a movie called Last Rampage with a pretty good cast, including the melting man from Terminator (Robert Patrick).  She is also teasing a big announcement.  Some of her fans think it's a pregnancy or a Castle reunion.  If either of those, I . hope . pregnancy.  But it's probably a new role, maybe a show on streaming.

Seamus is in pre-production on a movie where one of the producers, Zachary Kranzler, appeared as an actor in Firefly (2 degrees of separation from Nathan).  I hope it goes well.

I think The Orville will be good.  I wasn't that impressed with the first trailer, but the recent one looks more interesting. 

Nathan did voice work on Yamasong, March of the Hollows, an animated puppet show with a great cast, which will soon air at a puppeteer festival.  He also narrated a documentary, Highway of Tears, "A documentary looking into the missing and murdered women along a 724 kilometer stretch of highway in northern British Columbia."  I just realized that the latter can be viewed here.  I haven't seen it yet.

0

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TWP said:

She is also teasing a big announcement.  Some of her fans think it's a pregnancy or a Castle reunion.

I bet it's neither. Bet it's a brand new show/role, etc. Which, hey, good for her. If there ever is a Castle reunion, I bet it's years down the road. Jon Huertas is committed to This Is Us and Nathan Fillion seems booked solid! And Stana Katic seemed tired at the end and I don't think it's been long enough for her to miss it.

1

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I bet it's neither. Bet it's a brand new show/role, etc. Which, hey, good for her. If there ever is a Castle reunion, I bet it's years down the road. Jon Huertas is committed to This Is Us and Nathan Fillion seems booked solid! And Stana Katic seemed tired at the end and I don't think it's been long enough for her to miss it.

Same here.  And I would find it quite off putting if someone, um, teased about something like a pregnancy announcement this way.  What is with this obsession people seem to have with female celebrities and pregnancy? I don't get it.  

 

Molly's announcement is that she is going to be on the next season of The Bachelorette. :P  I'm surprised she's not doing more TV work honestly, but maybe she's holding out for movie roles.  The announcement is probably something to do with a new role.

 

I would be very sceptical about a Castle reunion ever happening onscreen, because I doubt ABC would want to throw real money at a one off movie or something like that that would entice everyone to come back. And I doubt there would be any Castle reunion at Paley or SDCC for a 10th anniversary or something like that because the show doesn't have that pop culture significance to it.  But stranger things have happened.  If any paths are to cross again, it's most likely imo to be guest starring on each other's shows at some point.

 

Hope Tamala finds something soon too.

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/26/2017 at 3:39 AM, madmaverick said:

Same here.  And I would find it quite off putting if someone, um, teased about something like a pregnancy announcement this way.  What is with this obsession people seem to have with female celebrities and pregnancy? I don't get it.  

 

Molly's announcement is that she is going to be on the next season of The Bachelorette. :P  I'm surprised she's not doing more TV work honestly, but maybe she's holding out for movie roles.  The announcement is probably something to do with a new role.

 

I would be very sceptical about a Castle reunion ever happening onscreen, because I doubt ABC would want to throw real money at a one off movie or something like that that would entice everyone to come back. And I doubt there would be any Castle reunion at Paley or SDCC for a 10th anniversary or something like that because the show doesn't have that pop culture significance to it.  But stranger things have happened.  If any paths are to cross again, it's most likely imo to be guest starring on each other's shows at some point.

 

Hope Tamala finds something soon too.

 

For a second I thought you were serious about Molly and the Bachlorette.

 

It is way too soon for a Castle reunion.  At least anything official.  ABC seemed kind of burned by it at the end, and considering everything that happened I don't think we'll ever get a reunion with the whole cast in the near future. We need years to go by for the actors to either get over their apparent issues or start to feel broke/desperate enough that they don't have any other work. And I really don't want them to do a reunion without the main cast.

 

But maybe Molly does have another project lined up with Nathan. That wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by KaveDweller.
1

Share Post


Link to post
20 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

For a second I thought you were serious about Molly and the Bachelorette.

How would that even work? I know it's all fake, but the producer is your boyfriend and you're the Bachelorette, and the producer crosses over to also become a contestant? Way too meta heh.  Come to think of it I think there was a scripted TV show that was about all the onscreen and offscreen drama on a reality show but I forget the name of it.  Still a little strange to see Molly all grown up, though I know she's not Alexis of course, or maybe her boyfriend's hair is giving me bad flashbacks back to Pi. :P

Here's  the trailer for Stana's new show, Absentia.   Apparently it will be aired in the U.S., but no news yet about where and when.

0

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

How would that even work? I know it's all fake, but the producer is your boyfriend and you're the Bachelorette, and the producer crosses over to also become a contestant? Way too meta heh.  Come to think of it I think there was a scripted TV show that was about all the onscreen and offscreen drama on a reality show but I forget the name of it.  Still a little strange to see Molly all grown up, though I know she's not Alexis of course, or maybe her boyfriend's hair is giving me bad flashbacks back to Pi. :P

Here's  the trailer for Stana's new show, Absentia.   Apparently it will be aired in the U.S., but no news yet about where and when.

I didn't know Molly's boyfriend was a producer on the Bachlorette, that would be weird. I haven't really followed her much, Alexis annoyed me so much in the last season, I just didn't want to see her in anything else. Not that the writing was Molly's fault of course, but that doesn't change how I feel. 

The show you're thinking of is Unreal on Lifetime. Season 3 got pushed out until next year, but it was a some pretty dark stuff.

I think Absentia looks interesting, hope it airs in the US relatively soon.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I did read Absentia is NOT airing on Sony's Crackle streaming channel, which may be a good thing. But it may not, since it seems as if getting a market to air it in the US - versus other countries - seems quite elusive.

Hope it's not indicative of the show's quality (or lack thereof?).

0

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I did read Absentia is NOT airing on Sony's Crackle streaming channel, which may be a good thing. But it may not, since it seems as if getting a market to air it in the US - versus other countries - seems quite elusive.

Hope it's not indicative of the show's quality (or lack thereof?).

It was chosen to open the recent Monte Carlo Festival and was apparently well received, not conclusive, but I wouldn't have thought the organisers would have chosen a duff show for such prominence in front of their Prince. It is listed on IMDB ( not necessarily known for 100% accuracy), that the episodes are 1 hour long, (although I read a comment on Spoiler TV that to shoot 10 x 1 hour episodes in 62 days would have been a very punishing schedule and very unlikely), so that may have something to do with the reluctance of US platforms to pick it up if indeed the episodes are intended to be that long.

Absentia also does seem to be aligned to Nordic Noir like the original The Killing and The Bridge, and the French Spiral, and perhaps not suited to the usual gentler fayre aired on the mainstream networks.

Absentia also has similarities with those shows because they all featured strong, but flawed, female leads (Sarah Lund (Sofie Grabol) in The Killing, Saga (Sofia Helin) in The Bridge, and Laure Berthaud (Caroline Proust) in Spiral.

Edited by westwingfan.
0

Share Post


Link to post
11 hours ago, westwingfan said:

It was chosen to open the recent Monte Carlo Festival and was apparently well received, not conclusive, but I wouldn't have thought the organisers would have chosen a duff show for such prominence in front of their Prince. It is listed on IMDB ( not necessarily known for 100% accuracy), that the episodes are 1 hour long, (although I read a comment on Spoiler TV that to shoot 10 x 1 hour episodes in 62 days would have been a very punishing schedule and very unlikely), so that may have something to do with the reluctance of US platforms to pick it up if indeed the episodes are intended to be that long.

Absentia also does seem to be aligned to Nordic Noir like the original The Killing and The Bridge, and the French Spiral, and perhaps not suited to the usual gentler fayre aired on the mainstream networks.

Absentia also has similarities with those shows because they all featured strong, but flawed, female leads (Sarah Lund (Sofie Grabol) in The Killing, Saga (Sofia Helin) in The Bridge, and Laure Berthaud (Caroline Proust) in Spiral.

Curious that no professional reviews seemed to have come out of its screening from Monte Carlo, or I may have missed them.  Let's see how the show is received when it's aired in the U.S. and maybe I'll see some of you again in that show forum then.  I'm a big fan of Nordic Noir shows so it will be very interesting to me to see how Absentia matches up.  They've rather set up a high bar for comparison.

 

Penny may be the actor who's landed gold, if this comes to fruition.  Amazing for her to get her own network show in development, executive producing it, and presumably getting to be one of the leads.  I feel actors like her and Ruben Santiago Hudson are strong actors but more often than not, they don't really get to have those lead roles.  So good for her if it does happen.  The premise sounds interesting to me too, like a The Wire for network TV.  She is also in Seth McFarlane's show The Orville airing on Fox this fall so good times for her career. 

0

Share Post


Link to post
Official Post

While there's no place to view the show in the US yet, there is now a forum for Absentia, which still makes sense since we have folks from many places that post at PTV! So head on over there if anyone wants to discuss that show.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/25/2017 at 10:04 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I bet it's neither. Bet it's a brand new show/role, etc. Which, hey, good for her. If there ever is a Castle reunion, I bet it's years down the road. Jon Huertas is committed to This Is Us and Nathan Fillion seems booked solid! And Stana Katic seemed tired at the end and I don't think it's been long enough for her to miss it.

Oh I know.  My wish that the announcement was a pregnancy was just a backhanded way of saying I hope it's not a Castle reunion.  I doubt that Molly would announce a pregnancy that way, and I personally don't care one way or another. Yikes.  Anyway.

It's funny how some people want Stana pregnant, Molly pregnant, yata, yata.  Fulfillment comes in many ways.  And hey, they both have 4-legged children.  What more do they need?

0

Share Post


Link to post

Tamala was in an episode of ABC's Speechless.  She might have got more screentime there than on many a Castle episode. ;)   She was fine.  Hope she gets more work.  Maybe she'll land on another ABC show again. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

Susan has been cast on a new Chuck Lorre Netflix comedy.  Should be good.  I have been absolutely loving Young Sheldon.  I hope this is as good.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Wow, congrats to Susan!  I've never really checked into Chuck Lorre's shows but I'll definitely be checking this one out.  What a great cast.  Apparently, she'll be playing Alan Arkin's character's wife of 42 years and his better half apparently. 

0

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Wow, congrats to Susan!  I've never really checked into Chuck Lorre's shows but I'll definitely be checking this one out.  What a great cast.  Apparently, she'll be playing Alan Arkin's character's wife of 42 years and his better half apparently. 

I am an on again, off again Lorre fan.  I still watch BBT, but don't like it now as much as early seasons.  I personally know several Sheldon's so that might factor into my affinity for the show.  Young Sheldon, though, is completely a work of art in my eyes.  I never thought I'd like it, but I actually LOVE it, especially the supporting cast.  The actress who plays the sister is an incredible comedic talent.  Some of their explorations are really interesting, especially since they don't mind going against BBT canon.  But I've always liked light fare.  

I'm hoping that The Kominsky Method surprises me as much and as well.  

 

0

Share Post


Link to post

A bit more info about Susan's character here.

Quote

Sullivan will play Eileen, who’s been married to Norman (Arkin) for 42 years and is unquestionably his better half. A philanthropist with excellent taste, she is decisive and wise, often serving as a sounding board for Norman when he faces challenges, the most difficult one being Eileen’s two-year battle with cancer.

Sounds like a character that an actor can really sink her teeth into.  Hope the writing does her justice.   Glad that she's not playing Michael Douglas' mom or something like that. ;)   With such a good cast, there must have competition for the role, so well done, Susan.  I had no idea even Michael Douglas was doing TV.  Well, now even Meryl Streep is doing it again!  Nice to see shows revolving around older talented and experienced actors.  Surely there's a demo for those shows too, and some things do get better with age.  I've watched a bit of Gracie & Frankie and enjoyed that too.  There's good acting even when the writing is imperfect.   

Somehow Lorre & Shonda's biggest hits have passed me by heh.  But maybe I will revisit them sometime.   I think whatever the show it's very hard to find one that you love more in the later seasons than you do in the early seasons.   Every show runs out of steam eventually, but by then you are attached to the characters. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

On May 9th, Nathan will guest-star on both American Housewife (episode titled "Finding Fillion") and Modern Family.  I wonder if he's the first person to guest-star on two different shows on the same night?

0

Share Post


Link to post

The young actress Rainey who played Lily Castle is now one of the rotating cast of children as panelists on the Carol Burnett Netflix series "A Little Help with Carol Burnett."

0

Share Post


Link to post

A few times I've wanted to just drop in on the board and comment on how good Mr Fillion was looking lately. He'd gotten a haircut reminiscent of "Two Guys and A Girl" time, seemed to be fitter...

Now we know why. A live action short film based on the video game Uncharted with Nathan as Drake. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

Molly Quinn will be recurring on a new mid-season show ABC show, The Fix, which is co-written and executive produced by Marcia Clark. Yes, the Marcia Clark that prosecuted OJ in 1994.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now