The Affair in the Media

This makes sense. Why else would Ruth Wilson be mandated not to talk about the reason for her departure? If it was not pay parity this might be it and they want it swept under the rug. 

Ruth Wilson's exit

and this

Edited by DakotaLavender.

Share Post

1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

This makes sense. Why else would Ruth Wilson be mandated not to talk about the reason for her departure? If it was not pay parity this might be it and they want it swept under the rug. 

Ruth Wilson's exit

and this

Makes more sense than the excuses they provided.   I never believed Ruth Wilson asked out and was granted out just to go on and do other work.  

Share Post

Well the pay equity thing never made sense, Ruth's comments were more matter of fact than inflammatory. I could not see Showtime getting that upset over it.

If something happened it would have to be substantial for Ruth to want to leave imo. I would think they would try to rectify it to keep her, esp if it didn't involve another actor they wanted to protect.

I am also surprised at how Showtime handled the thing with the double, especially these days. 

Share Post

I’m kind of surprised that she wasn’t under contract.

Maybe the main cast was signed only through 4 seasons and were willing to do a season 5?

if she was contractually obligated, why not make her stay, since she is one of the leads?

Share Post

No, I saw an video (its on YouTube) from several years ago with Dominic West introducing Ruth Wilson to accept an award. They both alluded to having signed 6 year contracts.  That to me means Treem and co could have forced RW to stay.   Puzzling.

Share Post

Well they let her out with an NDA (likely based on her comment)  so whatever it was, would have to be pretty bad. Go and keep quiet. 

Share Post

I've been an on and off viewer of the The Affair and I'm stunned Showtime would think that "the character has run its course" would be a believable excuse for killing Alison off. Alison was the mother of Joanie, she was at the center of an extremely popular showmance (Cole/Alison), and also her journey towards self-improvement was a huge character arc. 

Something definitely went down and it's unfortunate that it will probably take a couple of years for the NDA to expire so we can get the full story.

Share Post

This interview has a little bit more info at the end.

There was a meaningful silence. “There is a much bigger story,” she eventually volunteered, urging me, more than once, to contact Sarah Treem, a writer and producer of the show.

Share Post

The Affair: Ruth Wilson Says There’s a “Much Bigger Story” About Her Sudden Exit - Vanity Fair

The strange mystery surrounding Ruth Wilson’s sudden departure from The Affair continues. Speaking with The New York Times, the actress shot down the two most salient theories about why she left the show, leading to her character’s sudden death on the Showtime drama: “It isn’t about pay parity, and it wasn’t about other jobs,” Wilson said, adding, “But I’m not really allowed to talk about it.” After a long pause, Wilson continued, cryptically: “There is a much bigger story.”

Share Post

Emmy Rossi’s announced she’s leaving Shameless after this upcoming ninth season.

Maybe there’s a thing with Female leads on Showtime series.

Share Post

I think Emmy has been ready to finish up for a year or two. I also think she's finishing up on much better terms with the network then Ruth.

Share Post

Or maybe just like Ruth, she thought the show was way past it's sell-by date, with characters not really going anywhere.

Share Post

“It isn’t about pay parity, and it wasn’t about other jobs,” Wilson said, adding, “But I’m not really allowed to talk about it.” After a long pause, Wilson continued, cryptically: “There is a much bigger story.”

OK, so in my wild imagination, when Ruth Wilson says, "There is a much bigger story" and then suggests to the author that they go ask the series' writer what she means, maybe it means that the 'story' Wilson refers to is what's on the screen—maybe the whole thing wraps up at the end with The Affair just being a literary invention of Noah's, that he never had an affair with Alison, never split from Helen, and Alison never split from Cole, and never died. Maybe "The Affair" was just a book that Noah wrote after catching Alison's eye at the restaurant the first time they met. The big final reveal will be: Don't cheat and keep it in your pants or shitty things will happen to everyone involved. The end. 

Of course, that'll never happen. 

Share Post

OK, so in my wild imagination, when Ruth Wilson says, "There is a much bigger story" and then suggests to the author that they go ask the series' writer what she means, maybe it means that the 'story' Wilson refers to is what's on the screen—maybe the whole thing wraps up at the end with The Affair just being a literary invention of Noah's, that he never had an affair with Alison, never split from Helen, and Alison never split from Cole, and never died. Maybe "The Affair" was just a book that Noah wrote after catching Alison's eye at the restaurant the first time they met. The big final reveal will be: Don't cheat and keep it in your pants or shitty things will happen to everyone involved. The end. 

I like it except that it would mean Joanie doesn't exist and she's kinda my favorite character.

Share Post

Wow while I couldn't really see where there really was for Cole to go I could kind of say the same for Helen and Noah at this point.

The whole thing has turned into a clusterfuck.

Share Post

40 minutes ago, taragel said:

So Joshua Jackson's out for Season 5 (mostly). That makes think maybe they are heading into a reconcilliation for Helen and Noah. I'm not sure I'll be tuning in as JJ was really my reason to watch, but probably my curiosity will kick in and I'll check it out.

https://tvline.com/2018/09/25/joshua-jackson-leaving-the-affair-season-5-cole/

Interesting that Joshua Jackson isn't coming back, except for perhaps a guest appearance in one or two episodes.  The article doesn't say why, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't because of how they treated Ruth Wilson and the way they killed off Alison.  Cole was always one of my favorite characters, so this is very sad.  It won't be the same without Alison and Cole.  I'm bummed, but I'll watch Season 5, mainly out of curiosity.

Share Post

Just now, Diane12251 said:

Interesting that Joshua Jackson isn't coming back, except for perhaps a guest appearance in one or two episodes.  The article doesn't say why, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't because of how they treated Ruth Wilson and the way they killed off Alison.  Cole was always one of my favorite characters, so this is very sad.  It won't be the same without Alison and Cole.  I'm bummed, but I'll watch Season 5, mainly out of curiosity.

I hope they do at least wrap up what happened with him and Luisa and Joanie.

Share Post

On 9/4/2018 at 8:17 PM, Elizzikra said:

I like it except that it would mean Joanie doesn't exist and she's kinda my favorite character.

Please... I really hope they don't do this - reminds me of the Dream Season of Dallas.  What a cop-out!!

Share Post

They'll have to scramble to introduce new characters, since they're eliminating 2 of the 4 characters which got most of the story lines.

Or maybe they'll only do 6 episodes or something.

Edited by scrb.

Share Post

3 hours ago, scrb said:

They'll have to scramble to introduce new characters, since they're eliminating 2 of the 4 characters which got most of the story lines.

Or maybe they'll only do 6 episodes or something.

Plus they're out of women Noah hasn't slept with. 😆

Share Post

Count me out for season 5 too. It’s bad enough that Ruth Wilson is gone, but I only started watching the show because of Joshua Jackson. I don’t care what happens to Noah, Helen and their insufferable brats.

Share Post