Season One Episodes Discussion: Is It Real? Or Are You Easily Fooled?

Actor and dancer Robert Hoffman (STEP UP 2: THE STREETS, 90210) will host truTV's new series FAKE OFF, which will feature ten teams from around the country competing against each other in the captivating art of Faking, a mix of theater, acrobatics, black light and illusion. The teams will reimagine iconic moments in pop culture, as they face an impressive judging panel that includes music superstar and five-time Grammy winner Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas of the mega-group TLC; actor-dancer-choreographer Harry Shum Jr. (GLEE, THE LXD); and world renowned visual & concept designer Michael Curry (Broadway's THE LION KING, Cirque du Soleil's LOVE).

Discuss this season's episodes here.

Share Post

I wish they would give us the time frame the groups have to implement the theme they were assigned.   Different themes for different groups makes judging that much more difficult.  It would have been interesting to see the groups tackle the same theme. 

I'm still unsure how this show works regarding eliminations, or if there are any money prizes. 

Interesting show, I may stick around for a while.

Share Post

It sucked less than I thought it would.

Really it's mostly a dance contest, but with performance art aspects to every troupe.  If you've seen America's Got Talent or the online clips of Britain's Got Talent and seen that every season these shows have troupes who do stuff like routines with projected animated backdrops, or neon suits that light up in the dark, or backlit screens they do shadow routines against, or dancing puppets, or many other add-ons on TOP of dance... that's what this show is about, and the title and even the show intro do a dreadful job of explaining that.

The judges kind of suck/are uninteresting.  The host isn't too bad.  The actual performances though are pretty good. So far.

Share Post

I've seen a few now.  Because as I said before while aspects are badly produced/lame (the set, the judging, etc.) the actual acts are like the best part of America's Got Talent--the alternative dance groups with animation, shadow, puppet, or other multimedia gimmicks.  In fact, in Episode 2 we're even introduced to several groups that I know were ON America's Got Talent.

Share Post

I'm just amazed that in Hollyweird, where even the dead spirit of MJ cannot escape from lawsuits, that no one has kicked up dust about how similar SyFy's Face Off is to truTV's Fake Off in name. But then again...truTV gave birth to such bastard children like Lizard Lick Towing and those The First 48 knockoffs with suburbanites crawling with maggots and flies instead of poor urban urchins in Miami. Yeah.

Share Post

One must assume I think that the lawyers spent some time establishing that SyFy couldn't lay claim to the combination of a word starting with F followed by the word "Off".  Heck, I doubt SyFy cleared the name with the people who made the John Travolta/Nic Cage film.

Share Post

One must assume I think that the lawyers spent some time establishing that SyFy couldn't lay claim to the combination of a word starting with F followed by the word "Off". Heck, I doubt SyFy cleared the name with the people who made the John Travolta/Nic Cage film.

Thanks for reminding me about the film - it's just entertaining to me to see all these names and nobody seems to care anymore...

I watched promos for this show but it looks so much like a mix between the Voice, America's Got Talent, Next Best Dance Crew, and some other shows I can't think of now I was just a little overwhelmed. And the host looked so much like a wax bobble head I just couldn't stomach it.

Edited by BathKol.

Share Post

I watched some of the first performances on-line and was disappointed that they got rid of the group that did Titanic so quickly. I loved them. That said, I just don't get the scoring today watching the finals I'm not impressed with anyone and it all looks sorta cheesy.

Share Post