Maya Wilkes: Oh HELL Nah!

I liked Maya--the girls needed her to keep them "real", and she needed them to help her grow and expand.  She and Toni were my favorites, beautiful and had GREAT comedic timing.

The only time I got kind of annoyed with Maya was with the whole Stan arc and the subsequent divorce, and she still managed not to bug me to death.

Share Post

The actress had a lot of weaknesses including- not realizing narrowing her eyes and speaking slowing isn't a go to acting choice for every occasion. The character was immature and had poor work ethic. I do think the story of the end of her marriage was fascinating and good and sometimes got to me. The actor who played her husband Darnell was stronger in those scenes though.

Share Post

The actor who played her husband Darnell was stronger in those scenes though.

Speaking of which, they sure managed to swap Flex Alexander (season 1 Darnell) for Khalil Kain pretty flawlessly. Clearly Flex left no real impression lol

Share Post

I realize it's been awhile since anyone has posted here but would anyone know how Maya became part of the Girlfriends?  I was watching the episode today with Reecy (the AIDS episode) and Joan, Lynn and Toni were all in the college dorms together, so how did they meet Maya who was a high school dropout who had a baby?

Share Post

24 minutes ago, Tenarife60 said:

I realize it's been awhile since anyone has posted here but would anyone know how Maya became part of the Girlfriends?  I was watching the episode today with Reecy (the AIDS episode) and Joan, Lynn and Toni were all in the college dorms together, so how did they meet Maya who was a high school dropout who had a baby?

She was the receptionist at Joan and William's law firm. It's been a while since I watched but I believe she was Joan's assistant first, then became the general receptionist or William's assistant after Joan left the organization. Joan, being the fussy mother hen she is, brought her into the group early on while she was working for her. 

It was a bit weird since Maya was decidedly different personality wise from the rest of the girlfriends and from a different education and career track. I really miss this show I liked it a lot and it was funny and light, while being relatable, especially for any woman in her 20s dealing with career issues, dating, and friendship dynamics. This show and Sex and the City are the only sitcom/dramadys that really tackle seriously what it's like to break up with a best friend, the grieving of that, and moving on. 

Back to Maya lol I found her the least likable gf. I like Toni a lot more that most people because she had a vulnerability beyond her edge and they actress had a lot of charisma. 

Share Post