Post Your Pet Photos & Pet Discussion

I'm knocking on wood, but the problems I recently mentioned Chester (one of my parents' cats, pictured below) dealing with seem, at this point of diagnostics, to "just" be a progression of his IBD.  There's still a possibility it has changed from the benign kind to that caused by small cell lymphoma (that can happen with time, and he's had this for the entire five years they've had him [he was adopted from the shelter as an owner surrender at age eight]), but it's also possible it has just progressed to the point a raw diet is no longer enough to keep symptoms at bay and adding steroid therapy will be enough.  We'll see how this plays out a while before doing another colonoscopy/biopsy to see if there is now cancer. 

But, for now, he is eating very well on his own (without the appetite stimulant we gave him when he got sick) and has put back on 1/2 pound in the two weeks since we put him on the steroid.  He has another pound to go to hit the low end of his normal.  But he feels great, and his poops are normal.  His wonky liver value (the ALT, for those familiar with blood tests) is still a little high (so we're giving Denamarin - a supplement I really like for its cost/benefit analysis), but almost back to normal, so that is almost certainly a secondary effect rather than a separate issue.  There are no signs of any other separate issue after extensive blood work, an x-ray, and an ultrasound, so things look positive.

He's always been such a healthy little guy other than the IBD; if he had someone else's guts, he'd probably live to be 20.  And, compared to many cats with IBD, he has been lucky - other than this recent incident, he's had some diarrhea and cramping (and, yes, we can tell without him speaking), but no vomiting, lack of appetite, dehydration, or just all-around not feeling well.  I hope it all works out.

Chester trying out beds 3a.jpg

Share Post

I'm loving the pictures!!

I took a video of the girls snoozing last night because they were cuddled together and Little Mama was very cutely snoring. I can't get it to upload to anything shareable (I'm not starting a YouTube channel), so just imagine it.

Here's a picture from last week..."Futon Furiends Furever" (sorry).IMG_20180720_151541-1008x756.thumb.jpg.4f45d68b8aa9a0b6ffa1e4747d16c85f.jpg

Little Girl left, Little Mama right

Share Post

The kitties have been very good and let me sleep all night during the week but come Friday night, that will be a big 'ol NOPE! And then the kitten-cat woke me up at 7:15, basically scolding me for being late to work. All week they were sleeping when I left for work but NOPE! Today the day I can sleep in I'm getting in trouble when I don't have to be anywhere.

Share Post

Alli find’s this dog very confusing.

Cat sitting....

0FE7ADA5-C61C-49A7-AA91-B08E9EF791B7.jpeg

Edited by bosawks.

Share Post

You all have the cutest cat or dog in the world.

@AgentRXS, loved that second photo!

@Bastet, Chester's nose blaze makes me think of Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou.  

image.png

Share Post

14690838_10155344674455299_921174245881973081_n.jpg

IMG_0334.JPG

I can't upload anything else. I'll see if I can link later on. 

Share Post

5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

@Jaded - His name is Captain, right?  He still looks like a kitten!

Yes, that's his name. He still gives really good kitten face. I've had him since Feb of 16' and the shelter estimated he was 3 then so if that was true he's at least 5. I get jealous because his black/dark brown fur can really make him look smaller in some pics. I wish my dark colored clothing did that for me. 

Share Post

E7B7EFBD-F192-4A59-997E-D977B24F8509.jpeg.8fa3cccb7d28ce50b43618399d83336a.jpeg

These deer aren’t pets per se but they raid my feeder daily and seem to like hanging out here. This is Mama. 

B9332309-8310-4804-A988-E8C1273E9B12.jpeg.ece1c4b0321c5d1e84f4b1c64999212d.jpeg

That’s her fawn. I saw her this morning but she had two fawns with her. Between them and the squirrels I go through a lot of sunflower seeds. I used to feed peanuts but my neighbors got mad because the crows like to drop them in their birdbaths to soften their shells up and it leaves reside and turns to scum. It’s illegal to feed the deer ears of corn or apples...well the law probably covers everything. I’m not feeding them on purpose; I’m trying to feed the cardinals and Bluebirds. 

Share Post

I love all of your sweet babies! I see such unique and wonderful personalities!

Share Post

This, if it works, is a four-year-old picture.  Lily is the orange one and Snip is the tortoiseshell.

Cat shaming.jpg

Share Post

Catty Face has been a PITA when it is time to go to bed lately and last night was the worst.  He goes upstairs to go to sleep when I do.  He strongly prefers if the dog comes up at the same time so we can all sleep in the same room.  Often the Kook will stay up later because my son is still up and sometimes, especially when it is hotter, because it is cooler to sleep on the tiled floor downstairs than the carpet upstairs.

Usually the cat just waits at the top of the landing for the dog or sleeps there so he can see the dog at the bottom of the stairs.  He'll usually meow sadly a few times trying to get Kook to come up, but that doesn't last very long.  He's gotten worse about it since we went on vacation and the pets stayed at home.  But last night when it lasted for a much longer time - probably 30 minutes of pretty constant meowing.  Luckily it is not too loud.  Normally when it has gone on for 5-10 minutes I'll go get the dog to make the cat stop.  Last night I tried to see how long it would take before he just gave up or when downstairs to be with the Kook.  At 30 minutes I gave up and shut my bedroom door so he couldn't get out and the Kook couldn't get in.  That lead to 15 minutes of the zoomies, but he eventually settled down and went to sleep.

Share Post

@DeLurker I love the relationship between Catty Face and Kook! Especially since it's the cat who wants the dog, when it's usually the other way around. 

Share Post

This is a crappy picture my mom took with her cell phone, but it is illustrative of what Chester does all the time -- Bandit was sprawled out in the bay window, and Chester jumped up there, plopped his tiny body in between Bandit and the window, and settled in. 

Chester plopping down on Bandita.jpg

Share Post

28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This is a crappy picture my mom took with her cell phone, but it is illustrative of what Chester does all the time -- Bandit was sprawled out in the bay window, and Chester jumped up there, plopped his tiny body in between Bandit and the window, and settled in. 

Chester plopping down on Bandita.jpg

Chester, meet Chester!

45C72D82-E1CA-4314-99ED-6432AFB6B63E.jpeg

Share Post

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Sunbeam thief!

Yep; Chester loves the sun.  But he also just likes to horn in on anything Bandit is enjoying.  If Bandit is in someone's lap, Chester may go sit on another person's lap, or may may jump up and fit himself in there, too.  I brought over a bed for Bandit to sleep in out in the garage (he's not banished there; he asks to go out there a lot for a nap on the car), and this promptly happened, even though Chester used to just go out there to use the litter box and then come back in the house:

The boys sharing the new beda.jpg

Share Post

It started early, too; when Chester first joined the family, Bandit was miffed, and took to the bedroom.  I think this was about day three (but, to Chester's credit, he always stayed down at the bottom of the other side like this, until Bandit was ready to hang out - it's just that once he got the green light, he never respected another boundary again):

Sharing the Beda.jpg

I guess I should post a picture of my own cat, huh?  (I hope whomever asked for pics still wants some; I could be here all night, but I'll stop now.)  Riley likes bay windows too:

Bay Window timea.jpg

Share Post

@Bastet I love the kitty pictures and hearing the tales. Keep them coming. Riley is a scene stealer (or sunbeam stealer). 

Share Post

@Bastet that sounds like the kitten-cat invading the cat-cats space. True, the kitten-cat was here first but he has to bully his way into whatever the cat-cat is doing. 

Share Post

The quality of this is not good; I have to fiddle with the light and color settings so my cats' features are actually discernable in pictures.

This is how they were laying for a moment tonight. Little Mama showed her belly floof. She has just a bit of fur that has white tips on her lower belly. She lets me rub her belly and actually seems to like it, unlike pretty much all the other cats I've ever known.

IMG_20180801_003126-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.be2de32ce56f18c242eb5ec883bfd8c1.jpg

Share Post

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

@Bastet that sounds like the kitten-cat invading the cat-cats space. True, the kitten-cat was here first but he has to bully his way into whatever the cat-cat is doing. 

We always tell Chester, "You know, Bandit was here first." 

The one time I brought Maddie over to my parents' house after Chester had arrived, he ran her off every time she came out of my old bedroom.  He is apparently one of those "Bar the gates behind me; I'm the last one in" types!

3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

She lets me rub her belly and actually seems to like it, unlike pretty much all the other cats I've ever known.

I love when cats allow belly rubs!  Riley loves them, but when I first adopted her she was thin enough that there really wasn't much to rub.  The first time she flopped over and presented herself rubbing and there was a nice little tummy there, I teared up.  Bandit and Chester both like them, too (and good thing, because Chester, having had an ultrasound recently and having the world's slowest-growing fur [he still has bald patches from the IVs for his teeth cleaning in February], has a belly I particularly want to rub*), as did Maddie and Baxter.  It has been a long time since I had to respect a "Don't touch the belly" attitude.

*My poor cats - by which in this instance I mean those belonging to me, my parents, and the friends to whose cats I am Auntie - have to deal with my love for fur that is just starting to grow in following a shaving, as I squeal "Fuzzies!" and rub away.  Just as I often say, "You're lucky you're cute" as they do something obnoxious, they must look at me during such sessions and think, "You're lucky you feed us."

Share Post

I invented the Patented Double-Barrel LilyBeast Scritch because Lily likes to fall over on her side and have her back and her stomach scritched at the same time. If I try that with Snip, I can just about get past her armpits before she curls up and tries to bite me. I try it anyway just to remind her that she can be opinionated, but I’m in charge.

Share Post

The Continuing Tale of Catty Face being a PITA:

So last night, CF decides it is time to go to bed and goes to the top landing of the stairs to meow to let me know.  He does that for a bit with no result, so he comes to the bottom landing and tries again.  When that is not successful, he wanders around the first floor meowing pitifully.  This all goes on for about 30 minutes before he gives up.

When I do go to bed, he comes upstairs with me and settles in right away without fussing aver Kook.  So I am like "YES!".  Until 2:30 when he decided he wanted me to go get Kook.  Meowing starts again, but this time I open the bedroom door and close it after him.  I assume he went downstairs to find the dog since the dog wasn't sleeping on the landing outside my door.  I go back to sleep.

About 30 minutes later, he is meowing at the bedroom door.  I don't get up and after awhile he stops meowing.  Instead, he goes into the bathroom and paws open the cabinet door and lets it shut.  Over and over again (he does this when he wants to make a point).  I get up and let him in the room.  He shows his displeasure with me by sleeping on the chair, facing away from me instead of on the bed like normal.

This is really new behavior all the meowing.  I don't remember him meowing at all the first 2 years I had him.  Every once in awhile he would sit at the top landing and meow to get my attention, but not often and not more than once or twice.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can stop this, short of letting him decide my schedule, please let me know.

Share Post

Kitty belly rubs are the best! Kitty Gunderson The Younger likes them very much and can often be cajoled to roll over - of course I have to say "show momma your tum-tum" in a baby voice, but I'm willing to pay the price. The Elder has a very fluffy tummy that no one is allowed to touch. Occasionally when I'm holding her on her back like a baby I'll take a liberty and rub her tummy. If I'm lucky she won't notice for 5-10 seconds, and it's glorious. 

Share Post

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

The Continuing Tale of Catty Face being a PITA:

So last night, CF decides it is time to go to bed and goes to the top landing of the stairs to meow to let me know.  He does that for a bit with no result, so he comes to the bottom landing and tries again.  When that is not successful, he wanders around the first floor meowing pitifully.  This all goes on for about 30 minutes before he gives up.

When I do go to bed, he comes upstairs with me and settles in right away without fussing aver Kook.  So I am like "YES!".  Until 2:30 when he decided he wanted me to go get Kook.  Meowing starts again, but this time I open the bedroom door and close it after him.  I assume he went downstairs to find the dog since the dog wasn't sleeping on the landing outside my door.  I go back to sleep.

About 30 minutes later, he is meowing at the bedroom door.  I don't get up and after awhile he stops meowing.  Instead, he goes into the bathroom and paws open the cabinet door and lets it shut.  Over and over again (he does this when he wants to make a point).  I get up and let him in the room.  He shows his displeasure with me by sleeping on the chair, facing away from me instead of on the bed like normal.

This is really new behavior all the meowing.  I don't remember him meowing at all the first 2 years I had him.  Every once in awhile he would sit at the top landing and meow to get my attention, but not often and not more than once or twice.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can stop this, short of letting him decide my schedule, please let me know.

When she deemed I wasn't responding to her every whim, my late girl kitty used to pull open the kitchen cabinet doors just enough to make them slam shut over and over and over. I eventually put hook-and-eye latches on them. Unattractive, but they stopped the problem.

Little Mama likes to howl/meow at night in the living room–only at night and if she's alone. I'll walk in there and say, "Hey, shhh, stop the meows," as if she understands. Or I'll pick her up and bring her to the bedroom and she'll settle down momentarily until she and Little Girl start chasing each other around the apartment at breakneck speeds.

I have no answer because clearly my cats do whatever they want.

Share Post

The kitten-cat has his 'you aren't rubbing my belleh' back arch-stretch glance / glare down pat. He will stare at me until I come pet him and if I don't he'll keep doing it until I do. If I comply right away I'm rewarded with licks but if I am delayed it's a bite for me!

The cat-cat watched, and learned this move and started implementing it this week. The cat-cat will also announce his presence after he awakes from his royal-cat-cat napnap and saunters into the living room to grace us with his presence.

Who says cats are stupid? They're fucking smart!

A friend of mine is coming to visit in a few weeks and I see many more belleh pets for the cat-cat (while the kitten-cat hides under the bed).

Share Post

15 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Alli catching some rain drops!

purplescarflick.jpg

Alli has an enviable wardrobe! 

Share Post

You should hear her when I buy one that clashes with her eyes...

Share Post

Australian Shepherds were originally bred as herding dogs, and many are still used for this work.  Denali comes from a herding line (rather than a show line) and she is always on duty - we joke that she sleeps with one eye open, ready to react.  If we are in different rooms, she will park herself where she can keep an eye on both of us, since she needs to know where everyone is all the time.

She is also a Velcro Dog - she will follow you around the house as you go from room to room.  And don't dare close a door with her on the other side - if she can, she'll push it open so she can see you, and if not, she'll sit outside the door until you open it.  Don't be surprised to find her in the bathroom with you if you leave the door ajar...

Denali 001Editx1200.jpg

Share Post

7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

And don't dare close a door with her on the other side - if she can, she'll push it open so she can see you, and if not, she'll sit outside the door until you open it.  Don't be surprised to find her in the bathroom with you if you leave the door ajar...

Cats across the world ask, "Yeah, and? What else would one do in those situations?"

Share Post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Cats across the world ask, "Yeah, and? What else would one do in those situations?"

Paw under the door and yowl until being let into the bathroom, bat a toy across the bathroom floor, walk across their human's shoulders, sit in their human's lap, lay in the sink, play in/drink the trickling water from the sink's faucet, play in/drink the trickling water from the tub's faucet, play with the bathtub drain stopper, knock things off the back of the toilet, knock things off the counter, spelunk in the linen closet, hide behind the toilet, fight with the other cat in the empty tub, play with a toy in the empty tub, use the litterbox at the same time their human is in the bathroom, and run at top speed out of the litterbox, throwing litter everywhere...

Share Post

We can fix that...

67E68E48-2E16-470B-A3D0-C722852C1D5C.jpeg.0759f98cf6fe86458f329cf0e34f7e9e.jpeg

Just change it to Moose’s starter kit. 

Share Post

As a dog owner I can say that I've had a toy dropped at my feet while occupied on the commode on more than one occasion.   

Share Post

My cat destroyed (destroyed beyond repair, destroyed) the venetian blinds in my bathroom yesterday. Not exactly sure why she felt the need to launch her 9 pounds into them. but the only question I have now is whether or not to replace them with the same style, or if I can find something more cat resistant. 

Either way, she's on the shit list at the moment. 

Share Post

37 minutes ago, bosawks said:

As a dog owner I can say that I've had a toy dropped at my feet while occupied on the commode on more than one occasion.   

As a cat owner I can say the same thing.

@JTMacc99she had to launch her 9lbs into them because CAT!

Share Post

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

My cat destroyed (destroyed beyond repair, destroyed) the venetian blinds in my bathroom yesterday. Not exactly sure why she felt the need to launch her 9 pounds into them. but the only question I have now is whether or not to replace them with the same style, or if I can find something more cat resistant. 

Maybe just hang a curtain instead? You could use a fabric table cloth with a tension rod or extendable mountable rod, and clamp rings--no sewing required. I did that for a small window in my old condo.

The late, great Bilgisticat used to walk through the bedroom window blinds instead of behind them to lay in the window (nor would he lay in front of the blinds). I've patched several slats with clear packing tape. I learned to leave the blinds raised several inches.

The girls lay in the window, so the blinds stay raised a bit. I close the curtains at night because I can't handle even a few inches of dark night sky in which someone might see in. I don't know how people have big glass windows or walls without curtains.

Share Post

My complex has 'parking lot kitties' that are pretty feral. There's a woman who cares for them, leaving food and water. Problem is, with days like today when it rains all day their food is floating in a bowl of water (and will eventually have roaches in it). Looking for suggestions  on some sort of way to protect the food without deterring the kitties from eating. I was thinking a Rubbermaid container on it's side but it would have to be a pretty large one and would probably be noticed by the leasing office.

Share Post

7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Catty Face will attest to the fact that flying intruders often hide behind the blind slates to mercilessly taunt a poor kitty who has no control over reflexive instincts honed for thousands of years. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Vertical blinds.

Share Post

All good suggestions. I’ll browse through Lowe’s this weekend and see what I find. 

Share Post

58 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

All good suggestions. I’ll browse through Lowe’s this weekend and see what I find. 

I recommend a cat.

Share Post