Post Your Pet Photos & Pet Discussion

I'm like that when I (rarely) go anywhere. I've only been gone overnight at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I miss my girls so much when I'm gone. I have a petsitting service come to my place so the girls get to stay home. My sister has a cat, so I get some surrogate kitty love over Thanksgiving.

Share Post

Now that I'm away from my family and friends I hire a pet sitter to come to empty the litter box and provide cattention to my boys. 

Before I moved my mom and my friends would come in.

I hate leaving them but they're in good hands

Share Post

I took the plunge and made a consultation appointment to get radioactive iodine treatment for Lily.  Neither of us is enjoying the battle of wills about pills, so this is the right thing to do for the long haul.  But I feel terrible because it's going to involve so many things she hates: getting in the carrier, going somewhere in something with an engine, leaving her in a strange place where they stick her with needles, etc.

Share Post

I had to do that for Baxter; his T4 level was fine on the methimazole for a couple of years with just the occasional adjustment (and he gobbled up his pill in a treat with no issue), but then he became incredibly difficult to regulate and was undergoing frequent blood draws because of the medication adjustments.  Scintigraphy showed two rather large tumors, so the disease definitely needed to be dispatched with permanently at that point rather than treated with medication.  But I felt bad about the logistics of the radioiodine procedure for all the same reasons.  You'll both get through it -- short-term bad for long-term good.

The clinic where Baxter's was done had a webcam in each little cube, so I could watch him whenever I wanted. 

The hard part was when he came home, and I was supposed to limit my exposure to him.  Screw that; it lasted maybe a day.

Good thoughts to you and Lily.

Share Post

You know what would be great? If when my cat has a hanger-on situation, she would stand still and let me know vocally with a meow or howl--anything. Anything would be better than me noticing that both cats are looking curiously at something on the floor, and I think it's a bug, but when I go to inspect it, not only is there a turd on the carpet, I see a curated collection of poop schmears on the bathroom vinyl, the hallway carpet and the bathroom carpet, encompassing a six-foot round area.

Share Post

When Baxter had a turd stuck in his tailfeathers (or still half out the chute, as he had an occasional dry stool issue), he turned into a bucking bronco, and I'd have to chase along behind him attempting to retrieve it before he succeeded in flinging it off.

Switching cats, two nights ago Riley - a more inept bug hunter I have never had (which is fine; I completely respect the fact she makes friends with crickets and invites them to hang out next to her rather than capturing them, so I just call them all Jiminy and relocate them outside) - somehow discerned from the bedroom that a moth was in the living room and, by the nightlight in that room as sunlight dawned, captured it (fatally, alas).  (I was newly awake, as I frequently am in the middle of the night, and wondered why on earth she was getting up when she'd already completed her nightly "briefly leave Mommy's side to pee and kill off dinner" routine, and soon heard the pitter patter of paws running and jumping in the living room; investigating, I found the cause of her interest.)  She was so pleased with herself, she ran into the study to assert her authority by attacking a scratching post, so we played with the peacock feather for a while before I went back to bed; she joined me shortly and conked out, exhausted from her endeavors.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I'm now picturing a floofy cat wearing a saddle while tearing off through the house.

Share Post

On 7/10/2018 at 10:04 AM, DeLurker said:

On vacation for a week but miss my cat & dog so much it is ridiculous.  I clearly enjoy their company more than people company.

After inspecting every local boarding facility, including ones where they could share a room, my nephew's roomie is taking care of them.  

Got home late last night and Catty Face and Kook were very happy to see us.  I know the nephew's roomie Ash gave them great care (she's a dog groomer and is really good with animals.  Between the two of them there is 5 cats and 3 dogs). 

I knew the pets contribute greatly to my overall sense of well being, but this past week has been a vivid reminder of how much that is!

On 7/10/2018 at 6:11 PM, bosawks said:

I make my mom fly up to “babysit” Alli... 

Mom was meeting us for the week, so her fluff-n-stuff was being missed too.  One of my nieces was cat-sitting for her.

Share Post

How often do you all completely replace the litter box? I bought one less than a year ago that just stinks, no matter how long I soak it or air it out. I've dumped baking powder in it, bought Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer, nothing works. It seems fine when there is litter in it but once I dump and clean it, YIKES! It's supposed to have that anti-microbe protection in it. 

Share Post

36 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

How often do you all completely replace the litter box? I bought one less than a year ago that just stinks, no matter how long I soak it or air it out. I've dumped baking powder in it, bought Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer, nothing works. It seems fine when there is litter in it but once I dump and clean it, YIKES! It's supposed to have that anti-microbe protection in it. 

Whenever you think it stinks and can no longer keep it clean. Also when the cats scratch into the plastic so urine can leech into it. 

Share Post