Post Your Pet Photos & Pet Discussion

I think I know why the kittens wouldn't give much attention to the toys-- there were blinds standing up beside our water heater on the porch, and the kittens (especially Harry) were climbing up on them to get to the cover of our water heater. Well, we discovered last night that the blinds were damaged somewhat; we didn't know that the kittens' play with them was damaging them until it was too late. We moved the blinds, then, away from the water heater, and now hopefully the kittens will play with the toys.

Edited by bmasters9.

Share Post

I went to Home Depot earlier today and learned that they are a dog welcome facility!  I saw several dogs supervising their humans on this outing.  I doubt if I'd take Kook on the weekend, but I would during the week.

Share Post

@tiftgirl, I’m so sorry to hear about Shlamey. I’ll continue to hope for the best for you both (as do the Kitties Gunderson).

Share Post

24 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@tiftgirl, I’m so sorry to hear about Shlamey. I’ll continue to hope for the best for you both (as do the Kitties Gunderson).

Speaking of...how is Kitty Gunderson the Elder doing? Better I hope. Warm regards from the Mindthinkr cats. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Speaking of...how is Kitty Gunderson the Elder doing? Better I hope. Warm regards from the Mindthinkr cats. 

Aw, thanks! Kitty Gunderson the Elder is doing better. She seems to go through short periods where she just doesn’t make it to the box in time, but then will go a week or two without any incidents. We had a pretty bad series of days when I posted about her last. This week I found her blue mouse in the middle of the rug, which means she’s playing and feeling pretty spry (for her age, of course). 

Share Post

Shlamey is in ICU.  She was moaning this morning and she just wasn't right.  The did blood tests and in addition to the cancer (this Dr thinks that is what it is too even though the results haven't come back yet) she is anemic, he kidney values are really bad, and she is dehydrated and constipated.  Her condition is Guarded.  

I just expected even with it probably being cancer to at least have more time.  

I want to do right by her so we will see when the Dr.  calls with an update if she shows any improvement.

Share Post

You both are getting good thoughts for comfort now. 

Share Post

tiftgirl, sending comfort to both of you.

Share Post

@tiftgirl, you and Shlamey are in my thoughts.  Your love for her is clear, and I know once you have adequate information in hand, you will indeed make the right decision for her. 

Share Post

Today Catsby had his most traumatic experience yet. He was outside, near a small tree that gets a lot of tiny blossoms for a couple of weeks at this time every year. Those blossoms attract bees. Remember how I mentioned previously that he enjoys catching flying insects? Yeah, he got stung. Took me an hour to coax him out of the nook where he hid himself. I had to walk with him, very slowly, back to the door so he could go inside, with him stopping frequently to make sure there weren't any more EVIL DEMONIC HELL BEES lurking along the way and waiting to sting him again.

He was completely silent for a couple of hours, but a bath, a nap and a few cat treats seem to have improved his disposition immensely.

@tftgirl, hoping for the best for Shlamey.

Share Post

Assorted pictures of my kittens:

--Harry, Sally and Wilma eating together

--Harry and Sally eating

--Harry eating alone

--Harry playing in my shoe

--Sally on a porch chair

--Sally in my shoe

kittens1.jpg

kittens2.jpg

kittens3.jpg

kittens4.jpg

kittens5.jpg

kittens6.jpg

Edited by bmasters9.

Share Post

Thank you everyone for the good wishes and thoughts!  They worked.  And they mean very much to me.

My girl is currently sitting in the window watching over the birds and bathing all that nasty hospital smell off.

We went from the ER to our vet this morning.  She was so very mad.  I don't know what the absolute hell that er dr was playing at, but, she does NOT have kidney disease and she is not anemic.  Her kidney values are high normal and what they were in Feb and what our Dr expects for her age.  Anemia levels are a little high, but, with everything she has been through with the surgeries, etc, again not something the Dr is overly concerned about.  What is is concerned about at this point (besides the biopsy results) is that they pumped so much fluid into her, that her heart is working overtime and has exacerbated her intermittent heart murmur that she has had since birth.  She gave her something for pain and said she just needs to rest.She did say depending on the biopsy results and what kind of cancer it is, we may have to have The Talk, but, I thought her head would come off when I told her the ER doc recommended euthanasia yesterday.

I called off work for today yesterday after I left her at that God forsaken er and my boss texted me back to take all the time I need, so, I may go ahead and take today off.  I feel like I could use a rest too.

@bmasters9 your babies are adorable!

Share Post

1 hour ago, tiftgirl said:

@bmasters9 your babies are adorable!

Appreciate that! There'll be more. 

Share Post

@tiftgirl - Jeez!  How much can you take?  Just reading the update almost triggered a blackout rage and a heart murmur here! 

I think you and Shlamey both need something for the pain (your's can be liquid if you partake) and some rest. 

Share Post

@tiftgirl, three cheers for proper information from your regular vet (and good news at that); a pox on that ER vet.  I'm not positive on this one as I only dealt with it once and it was a while back, but I think the heart issue caused by too much fluid at once usually resolves itself as the excess fluid makes its way out of the system.  So I hope with some quality rest at home, Shlamey will be back where she started in just a day or two.  Fingers and paws continue to be crossed here for the biopsy results.

@bmasters9, kitten pics are the perfect way to start the week, so thanks for posting your cuties.

Share Post

59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

@bmasters9, kitten pics are the perfect way to start the week, so thanks for posting your cuties.

Not a problem!

Share Post

@tiftgirl, so glad that Shlamey is doing better and at home with you. I hope you can get some rest and good cuddles in. 

Share Post

Kook's had some unsightly bump on / near his nose that started about 4 weeks ago.  It got to the size of a pencil eraser and increasingly pink.  Vet took a look and said it was basically an ingrown hair/whisker and unless he started to show a lot of sensitivity around there, it would eventually work itself out.

I'd been second guessing her because it didn't seem to be getting better, but it started to lose the pink tone over the weekend and it is much smaller tonight. 

I had no idea dogs could get ingrown hairs.

Share Post

Little Girl has a slightly swollen and reddish lower lip on the left front side, but she's so squirrelly, I can't get a good look at it. When she has an allergic reaction, she gets a swollen lip, but she's been eating the same mega-expensive venison food that keeps her allergies at bay. I bumped up the steroid dose tonight. She's been on a low-ish dose for months. Hopefully I can look at her tomorrow when she settles down for a nap after breakfast.

Here's a picture from a couple weeks ago. Little Mama is the upper "spoon". Oh, my heart!

IMG_20180531_213205-1008x756.thumb.jpg.5a0effb33f304c4e3c2fa4b17e097c5d.jpg

Share Post

Shlamey has the most aggressive form of mouth cancer a cat can get.  The Dr (who was crying too) said it is probably just a few days.  But while she is still herself and eating and being Shlamey to just love and spoil her.  The next time she is having pain and not herself will be time.  She did say if it was at night or the weekend I can ask them just to give her pain meds and then bring Shlamey to her for you know.

They deal with a different funeral home than the one that took care of my boys and I have been looking at their urns.  The boys are both made by the same company and are ceramic, Shmuel's had cats in the sunshine in heaven and Shlomo's has cats at the Rainbow bridge.  They have one that is similar this is all different kinds of cats and I see one that looks like her.  They also have one of a white cat in that butt wiggle I'm about to get to pounce on (whatever) pose.  Would it be bad to have hers be so different than the boys?  I like them both but kind of like the pouncing one better.

I'm just sort of lost right now.  She is going to go but I want these last few days to be happy and filled with love but she is the kind if our routine changes she gets suspicious, so, I'm trying to let her be and just love her.

Share Post

@tiftgirl I’m heartbroken to hear this news about Shlamey for both of you. I know that you will do your best to give her the absolute best of her days while you still can. I’m honestly gobsmacked. My heart cries for you and what you are going through. 

Your gut will tell you which urn to choose when it’s time. 

Edited by Mindthinkr. Reason: Spelling

Share Post

I'm so sorry, @tiftgirl. Make as many good memories as you can. I hate losing a fur baby.

Share Post

59 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

Would it be bad to have hers be so different than the boys?  I like them both but kind of like the pouncing one better.

Different is not bad or wrong.  Choose the one that reminds you most of her - as a unique cat with a personality all her own.

I am so sorry.  I wouldn't worry about a change in the routine making her suspicious.  In my experience, they know that there is something not right with them and they appreciate the reassurance and comfort they get from you.

Share Post

2 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

Would it be bad to have hers be so different than the boys?

Not at all, but if the other funeral home is in your area, you should still be able to go with them directly (rather than to the other one through your vet), so if you'd prefer them, you don't have to go with the other.  If you want to do that, you could check with them in advance about how to make arrangements, so you don't have to think about it when the time comes.  Choose whichever one you'd most like to look at.

I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis.  It's okay to smother her with love a bit; of course you don't want to upset her by crying into her fur all the time and transferring your worry to her, since to her she's just home and happy right now, but you can disrupt her routine for a few extra hugs, pictures, and I love yous.  I'll be thinking of you and Shlamey.

Share Post

I'm so sorry to hear this about Schlamey, @tiftgirl.

When it was Bilgisticat's time to pass last September, I had an in-home vet (Lap of Love; they are national) come and help him cross over on a Saturday morning (he had chronic conditions that worsened to the point where he no longer had any quality of life). The vet was a godsend, and she took care of literally everything. I had taken Bilgisticat's older "sister" to the vet's office when it was her time to go, two years prior, so I've been in both situations. Both were right for me at the time.

Be kind and gentle with yourself. You are doing your best while grieving, and no decision is wrong. Listen to your gut and try to not second-guess yourself. I'm wishing you peace as you move through this.

Share Post

It's practically a furnace out there on the porch where the kittens are; Wilma and Sally are panting, and won't even drink water to slake their thirst; Harry can't keep his eyes open either! We had a fan going to try to cool them off, but it was counterproductive; it was forcing more hot air down, having the opposite effect; my mother got some ice packs to put in the cage, and hopefully that'll mitigate the heat. 

Share Post

Can you bring them in the house?  If you're seeing panting and lethargy, they're too hot.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Can you bring them in the house?  If you're seeing panting and lethargy, they're too hot.

Not an option; my mother is allergic to cats. Hopefully, it'll get cooler in the night, and that might mitigate it.

Edited by bmasters9.

Share Post

You may need to wet them down with cool (not cold) water to speed up the cooling process.  Cats can get heat stroke, and these are just little kittens; they're vulnerable, so take a look at these signs of heat stroke in cats to see if they are exhibiting any in addition to the panting and lethargy.  Better safe than sorry!

Share Post

Maybe your Mother would be ok if you just confine them to your room during the day with the door closed when the heat is oppressive. I have an allergic family member but he seems to do ok when I try the above. That and even if it begins to effect him he doesn’t mind taking a Claritin or Zyrtec. 

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Maybe your Mother would be ok if you just confine them to your room during the day with the door closed when the heat is oppressive. I have an allergic family member but he seems to do ok when I try the above. That and even if it begins to effect him he doesn’t mind taking a Claritin or Zyrtec. 

Tried to ask her-- no go. 

Share Post

1 minute ago, bmasters9 said:

Tried to ask her-- no go. 

I’m very sorry for your dilemma and the kittens. Be sure to use Bastets suggestions and watch for heat stroke. 

Share Post

10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m very sorry for your dilemma and the kittens. Be sure to use Bastets suggestions and watch for heat stroke. 

Will do! Thanks for the concern. 

ETA: just went out to check on them, and I didn't see any more panting; also, Sally made a move to get a drink of water, and even skimmed the water with her paw. 

Edited by bmasters9. Reason: Looks like some good news

Share Post

@tiftgirl and Shlamey.  I’m sending you both love.  To be sure, she knows she has an amazing owner. 

Share Post

@tiftgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about Shlamey. I hope you can take time off the next few days to be with her. I'm sure she knows how much you love her. Please take care of yourself as well.

Share Post

@tiftgirl I’m very sorry about your loss. My condolences. I hope the two of you had a ‘best as it could be’ day yesterday. 

Share Post

I'm so sorry, @tiftgirl. You are a wonderful cat mom to care so conscientiously for Schlamey. Be kind and patient with yourself as you move through your grief. We are here whenever you want to talk.

Share Post

I'm incredibly sad for you, @tiftgirl. Please be good to yourself, and feel free to talk about her here. We DO care.

Share Post

@tiftgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about Schlamey.

@bmasters9, I'm freaking out about the kittens. Is there somewhere they can be that's not a furnace and not near your mother (who I am judging harshly in my heart right now)?

Share Post

14 minutes ago, ABay said:

@bmasters9, I'm freaking out about the kittens. Is there somewhere they can be that's not a furnace and not near your mother (who I am judging harshly in my heart right now)?

Actually, we're doing something different today-- we're gonna feed the kittens, then let them go to the bathroom in their cage (however long that takes), then we're bringing them in the house (the house will be air-conditioned, and the kittens will be in a blue carrier that our neighbor gave me). We're doing this because I checked the thermometer, and it's more than way too hot out there!

hotday.jpg

Share Post