Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

Luna the cat decided to drag a mouse out of the basement and then let it go in the family room around 9:45 last night. She enjoys a good literal game of cat and mouse. Much mayhem ensued. Eventually the mouse escaped both cat and humans into the living room where it set up shop under a couch. 

I set up a much more mouse killing trap next to that couch in a place where the cat couldn't get at it and went to bed. Disposed of smushed mouse this morning. 

I really need this cat to murder the mice first, and then present it to me. This is the second time this year.

Share Post

One morning years ago, Lily got fixated on the underside of a bookshelf in the living room.  I figured there was probably a mouse under it, because we get transient mice sometimes when the weather starts to get cold.  I was right, because when I came home from work, there was an ex-mouse in the middle of the living room rug.  I told Lily she was a Mighty Huntress and thanked her for not leaving the mouse in my bed.

Share Post

@bmasters9  It was clear to me from your first posts that you had them on a screened in porch where a litter box and food/water are provided and that you were taking very good care of the kittens. Also, if cats are raised outdoors from the beginning, there is no need to worry about taking them inside or providing air conditioning as long as you keep a shaded area and water for them on hot days. You are doing a great job and you seem to be enjoying the little kittens so much that it is touching. Keep up the good work with them!

Share Post

After increasing Little Girl's steroid med for a week, her little lip inflammation is gone, so she was definitely having an allergic flare. I ordered a new bottle of her steroid and asked for a different flavor, because I was having to hide the butterscotch flavor in a rehydrated venison treat to get her to ingest it.

The pet pharmacy suggested vanilla fluffernutter or some such. They also said they could put in a "bitterness masking agent". Why wouldn't they always do that?? I'd tasted the butterscotch med and it was definitely bitter and gross.

I got the new med in the mail and couldn't smell the difference between the butterscotch and vanilla whateverthehell. There was definitely less bitterness. I offered some to Little Girl and she immediately wrinkled her nose and recoiled in a very dramatic fashion.

So I'm still having to hide the med in a treat.

Share Post

6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

After increasing Little Girl's steroid med for a week, her little lip inflammation is gone, so she was definitely having an allergic flare. I ordered a new bottle of her steroid and asked for a different flavor, because I was having to hide the butterscotch flavor in a rehydrated venison treat to get her to ingest it.

The pet pharmacy suggested vanilla fluffernutter or some such. They also said they could put in a "bitterness masking agent". Why wouldn't they always do that?? I'd tasted the butterscotch med and it was definitely bitter and gross.

I got the new med in the mail and couldn't smell the difference between the butterscotch and vanilla whateverthehell. There was definitely less bitterness. I offered some to Little Girl and she immediately wrinkled her nose and recoiled in a very dramatic fashion.

So I'm still having to hide the med in a treat.

It's all a plot to get more treats. Smart kitty!

Kitty Gunderson the Younger figured out that the soft treat contained something she Did.Not.Want. To please little miss picky, she gets her medications compounded into a lotion that I dutifully rub on her ears twice a day, as she sits and gently switches her tail, as if to say "who's the boss?" (That's the sanitized version. She spent time on the streets of Boston and picked up some colorful language.)

Share Post

Meds can be compounded into a lotion? Can all meds? My SIL has a cat we refer to as "special needs". She just doesn't know how to cat. She got her as an abandoned 3 wk old who hissed and spit and attacked people and other animals from day 1. She'd pick fights, stalk the kittens (so we could never leave them alone and they quickly learned to yell if she was near) and then pee on the couch, floor, or spare bedroom bed at night, but would howl if put in a crate at night. The vet said she was so anxious she'd literally give herself a urinary tract infection, so we treated that first. Then we started her on liquid Prozac about 6 months ago, and it has helped a lot. But it has alcohol in it, and possibly tastes horrible as well. Paula is the only one who can dose her, and she gags and foams. We were going to switch to pills (which she also hates) when the liquid runs out (soon). Now I'm wondering if the Prozac could be, too, to make it easier on her.

For those wondering, we'd never rehome her or take her to a shelter, because either option would end up with her being euthanized, and she's Paula's bottle baby, and she loves her.

Share Post

@riley702, I think it depends on the medication.  My cat Pumpkin has hyperthyroidism and his meds are in the form of a transdermal gel. I just rub the dose in his ears (the fur-less part).  It's more expensive than the pill form for Methimazole but Pumpkin doesn't do well with pills.  His thyroid levels are where they should be so it does work, but I think some medicines are not as effective in gel or lotion form.  It wouldn't hurt to check with the vet.

Share Post

@riley702, what @Tabbycats said is my understanding as well. Unfortunately the compounded medicines can be much more expensive than the pill version, but for us it's worth it not to force The Younger's mouth open twice a day to throw pills down it (and we are lucky that we can afford it). The dosing can be a little tricky too - it's easy to dispense more than needed, although I've gotten better at it. We get 3 medications compounded, one for The Elder because it's only available as a liquid and is a controlled substance and 2 for The Younger. That reminds me that I need to go and order some for next week!

Share Post

Right; not all drugs can be compounded into a gel/cream for transdermal application.  And, among those that can, sometimes you'll find it's not as effective as the oral version of the drug.  Plus, some cats want you rubbing something inside their ear about as much as they want you giving them a pill.  And it costs more.

But - where it's available, works, you can bear the extra cost, and the cat just thinks she/he is getting a nice ear rub, it is a wonderful alternative for cats who can't be "pilled" and who can sniff out a hidden pill from across the room.

Methimazole (they hyperthyroid medication) is the one I most frequently hear about as a transdermal gel, but I know prednisolone (the steroid) is able to be compounded that way as well. 

Oh, and @riley702, I just looked it up, and Prozac can, too.  At a quick glance, I did not find any info on its efficacy at that application versus oral, but it can be done.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

After increasing Little Girl's steroid med for a week, her little lip inflammation is gone

And she'll probably hit more home runs this season too!

Share Post

5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

for us it's worth it not to force The Younger's mouth open twice a day to throw pills down it 

This makes me feel better, because one area where I feel I fail as a cat momma is getting meds into them.  Everyone says some cats are hard to pill, but I wonder if I didn't spoil them so much if it would be easier now that they are older and developing health issues.  Liquid I can do, depending on the cat, but it is still a battler.  But, I swear I've gotten a pill in Shlamey's mouth tilted her heard up and felt her swallow three times, let go and she looked me in the eye and hocked the pill up.

I got Methimazole compounded for Shlomo and he just loved that.  Which is good because he had to have it 3 times a day.  His heart meds could not be compounded but those came in a liquid.

What upsets me is when they start avoiding me after several days of meds.  That is what happened with the thyroid pills, he would just run when he saw me and that was when I found out about compounding.  

When we were still hoping Shlamey had a very bad infection, the Dr. said she would pill Shlamey herself every day if it came down to it.  She has never made me feel bad about not being able to medicate them, but I feel like I fail them.

Share Post

I've never been able to forcefully give my cats pills. I can manage headlocking and squirting meds in their mouth with a syringe, but it makes them so distrustful. Giving Little Mama eyedrops was terrible. I had to sit on my knees with her between my thighs so the couldn't move. She hated me for a while.

My late girl kitty would eat her Cosequin pill whole as long as I put a little food on it. She was a cool customer.

Bilgisticat was on several meds; I hid one of them in pill paste. I had his steroid compounded into a tuna-flavored "treat" by BCP Pet Pharmacy. He loved it. I highly recommend them. They can compound lots of pet meds. I couldn't do transdermal on him because his ears would get irritated.

Share Post

Girl cat requires a pill every day. Joy! But the vet showed me how to get her mouth open which I'll attempt to describe, and also gave me a pill shooter which helped immensely. OK, and maybe many of you already knew this but it was new to me: facing the same direction as the cat, put your thumb behind one canine and your index finger behind the other and gently pull up. Your palm will be covering the cat's eyes and the cat will struggle, but if you've already got the pill in the other hand, it's not too hard to drop or shoot it in. Sometimes my aim is off and I don't get it far enough back or centered, and if e're having a particularly feisty day, I'll just give up for that day.

Boy cat was untouchable so even if there'd been a cure for him, I wouldn't have been able to get it into him. Even sneaking things into food or treats didn't work with him more than once. I often wished all medication could be delivered in spray form.

Share Post

After some nasty bites and antibiotics that killed my digestive system I was about to give up on flea medicine. Gratefully there’s a pet service in my area that will come and get girl cat dosed. When she first began (6 years ago) she had to wear welding gloves after a vicious chomp (and antibiotics thankfully covered by her insurance) but girl kitty has realized over the years that this is happening. I’m grateful to have the dosh have her come. Only thing is when I go away she has to send someone else (an associate) in to feed as they hear medicine lady they go into hiding. It all works out. They don’t go out anymore but they still get the med. Fleas are bad in my area. 

Share Post

7ACD8E2B-3844-4AD0-8B01-033912C8406B.jpeg.229a416f4372d8fa22aad9b0663b22c5.jpeg

This is girl cat. It’s kind of hard to see but I was noticing her whiskers yesterday when she was up in my face. Her top ones are black and curl like a handlebar mustache. Her bottom ones are white. She also has done better on their diet plan than her brother. 

Sorry that it posted sideways. Didn’t know how to fix that on the iPad. 

Share Post

There seems to be a pretty big group of black, or mostly black, cats in this crowd - yeah!  They have good homes with lots of love!

Share Post

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

7ACD8E2B-3844-4AD0-8B01-033912C8406B.jpeg.229a416f4372d8fa22aad9b0663b22c5.jpeg

This is girl cat. It’s kind of hard to see but I was noticing her whiskers yesterday when she was up in my face. Her top ones are black and curl like a handlebar mustache. Her bottom ones are white. She also has done better on their diet plan than her brother. 

Sorry that it posted sideways. Didn’t know how to fix that on the iPad. 

And her bottom whiskers curl down.

7ACD8E2B-3844-4AD0-8B01-033912C8406B.jpeg.229a416f4372d8fa22aad9b0663b22c5.jpeg.e031a51791dd94475cff65e4c3ead5b8.jpeg

Share Post

Poor Kitty Gunderson the Elder does not like the heat. She is also suspicious of the ice pack I’ve put next to her in an attempt to help.

E0C23C39-0C89-452D-A997-4E9354247768.jpeg

Share Post

@bmasters9 - I was looking up some ideas as to how to keep my dog cool in the summer.  He's inside most of the summer because of the heat, but I know he misses just hanging out back sometimes.  Anyway, I came across a couple of ideas that might work for your kitties too.

In no particular order...

Have two water bowls, one that has been frozen solid so it will provide cool water as it defrosts;

Water bowls should be narrow, but deep giving the warm air less surface space to warm up the water;

Use a fan;

Put a gallon of frozen water in a cardboard box or cooler laid on its side so it creates a cooler cubby for the kitties;

Raised bedding that allow air to circulate underneath, kinda like this image.png.06e1e3739aea319bcfd7a4283821ea34.pngimage.png.106a48f3863ebbac7c8144d5646d48f0.png

There's a lot of DIY instructions out there for the raised beds.

Also, they recommend brushing your cat a lot.

I also read about a cooling mat - here's one that is from the American Kennel Club and is supposed to be non-toxic (not all gel mats are for animals who might gnaw or scratch through the exterior).  I don't have any experience with one, so I'm putting a lot of weight on the AKC labeling so probably best to do your own research.

Share Post

21 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

@bmasters9 - I was looking up some ideas as to how to keep my dog cool in the summer.  He's inside most of the summer because of the heat, but I know he misses just hanging out back sometimes.  Anyway, I came across a couple of ideas that might work for your kitties too.

In no particular order...

Have two water bowls, one that has been frozen solid so it will provide cool water as it defrosts;

Water bowls should be narrow, but deep giving the warm air less surface space to warm up the water;

Use a fan;

Put a gallon of frozen water in a cardboard box or cooler laid on its side so it creates a cooler cubby for the kitties;

Raised bedding that allow air to circulate underneath, kinda like this image.png.06e1e3739aea319bcfd7a4283821ea34.pngimage.png.106a48f3863ebbac7c8144d5646d48f0.png

There's a lot of DIY instructions out there for the raised beds.

Also, they recommend brushing your cat a lot.

I also read about a cooling mat - here's one that is from the American Kennel Club and is supposed to be non-toxic (not all gel mats are for animals who might gnaw or scratch through the exterior).  I don't have any experience with one, so I'm putting a lot of weight on the AKC labeling so probably best to do your own research.

Will check out! I'm in Alabama now, but those sound like good suggestions!

Share Post

There are lots of rather inexpensive chairs made of netting on a metal frame available at places like Home Depot or even Walmart that make great cat/dog resting places when it is hot and they need additional circulation. In fact, my Louis the cat is sitting on one right now on my patio! We bought five of these chairs 6 years at one of those super cheap outlet stores and they have held up pretty well given that they are left outside all year round. Both our previous cat (a long hair) and the current ruler of the household really like them when its hot out as they get full air circulation while also having a back (so they cannot be sneak attacked from behind).

Share Post

Denali spent the day with me today.  Here, she's supervising me while I check out the new grill her mom got me for my birthday.  She absolutely loves to be outside!

image.png.22050054b59f358171fba7b71c7ecef4.png

Share Post

I love how the longer hair on her front legs fans out. 

Share Post

Both Kitties Gunderson in the same picture - air conditioning brought them together!CC249B90-CD40-4526-853E-1CB77CF5D38D.thumb.jpeg.dcba4ea6f3cd805dc035718857f09540.jpeg

ETA: and now it’s over. The Younger bit The Elder on the leg and was promptly banished from the ottoman.

Edited by MargeGunderson.

Share Post

All this talk of medicating cats reminds me of how lucky I was with the late Goofy and his insulin shots. All I had to do was feed him, and he'd ignore the needle completely while wolfing down his grub.

Catsby seems to have recovered from his encounter with the Horrible Devil Bee. He and Calypso insist on spending at least six hours per day outside now, despite the fact that it's been hotter than Satan's hair-dryer outside (today it was "only" 102 F.) They have plenty of shade on the deck, under the deck, and in/around the trees and bushes, and I've set them up with a water trough under a spigot that's been turned to a very slow drip. The two of them seem to know their names now, and they'll come running when I call them...usually. Catsby has adopted an old plastic patio chair as his personal deck chair, while Calypso prefers the shady spot under a nearby plastic table. Out in the yard, Catsby likes it under my car, while Calypso hangs out at the base of the oak tree nearest the house. Neither one of them seems inclined to go out past the fence line.

We've had some deer coming around recently. Last week I stepped out of the kitchen door and surprised a deer that was sniffing around the deck stairs. We stood there looking at each other for about half a minute, and then the deer bolted around the corner of the house. Must have startled Catsby, because he came running back around the corner at top speed and hid behind my legs. Two days later Catsby and the deer were hanging out together near the driveway gate, so I guess they're friends now.

Calypso climbed her first tree today. She must have finally pissed Catsby off, because I heard the sound of a cat-fight out on the deck, and when I went out there Catsby was chasing her around the deck, and then out and around the yard before she finally went twelve feet straight up one of the oaks. Then she sat there, wedged in the crotch of one of the branches, trying to figure out how to get back down:

2rpp6gz.jpg

Usually he's very patient and easygoing. Kinda makes me wonder what she did.

The cats with evil glowing eyes in the driveway. Taken with the camera's zoom:

11r7h1l.jpg

Two cats on a bed:

f0rgjc.jpg

Comfortable, but undignified:

2mo2tzt.jpg

On 6/21/2018 at 6:44 AM, DeLurker said:

Every time I go in the shower, my cat hangs out in the bathroom.  The minute I step out and am drying off*, he comes rushing towards me like he is going to rub up against my legs so I am always trying to rush and dry them first in an effort to avoid having it happen, thereby transferring a ton of cat fur to my legs.

Reminds me of the two cats I had down in the Bay Area. Ethel, a calico who had decided that I was one of her kittens, would sneak up on me when I got out of the shower and start licking my toes. Rather startling, having one's toes suddenly sandpapered. Meanwhile, Buck, a runty black male, would come charging into the bathroom as soon as I got out of the shower and jump up on the tub while the water was still draining. Unfortunately he had long fur on the bottom of his paws, and he'd slide right off the edge and into the water. He got a bath almost every day; the cleanest cat in town!

Share Post

Happy 4th from Alli and special guest star Rory!

2B14BD6A-C4F8-4C83-BB3C-D1C100F9979F.jpeg

Share Post

Blackie was a 20-lb, outdoor-only tom cat and once he was no longer wanted by his owners, we took him to a community clinic (affiliated with a no-kill shelter) for a checkup. We learned that he'd had his rabies vaccine, but nothing else. They neutered him and told us to bring him back later for tests. He tested negative for FeLV and was vaccinated. Sadly, he tested positive for FIV. Since we couldn't let him live in the house due to my sister's allergies, we stepped up our efforts to find him a new home. It took months, due to his FIV+ status, but eventually a woman adopted him -- she had other FIV+ cats and kept them indoors.

When Blackie first started hanging around our front porch and his owner still wanted him (or so she said), we began setting out food to keep him coming around. Once the owner told us she no longer wanted him, we decided to move his food to the back patio for safety (we live on a busy street). It didn't take long to teach him that his "dining room" had moved. I walked him around to the backyard a few times, then all I had to do was open the front door and tell him to go to the back.

Once he had gotten used to eating on the back patio, my dad built him a little shelter there. Blackie would meow from the ground, and I'd open the window in the back door, and my sister would tell him to get on the grill so she could see him from her wheelchair. And of course he did, several times, he was one smart cat. He was also a very affectionate cat, and I felt bad that his previous family hadn't paid him much attention. I'd sit in the yard, working in the flower beds, and he would climb onto my lap and fall asleep. Trust me, your legs get really hot when a 20-lb black cat is lying on them.  :)

Share Post

Little Mama is not having any of these Fourth of July shenanigans.IMG_20180704_211923_crop_691x742.thumb.jpg.1a6d478b3739c8a4a776b5c12ee2191e.jpg

She low-ran out of the bedroom right after I took this picture. Little Girl followed her a few seconds later.

Share Post

I agree with Lil Mama! She's so adorable. Been a cat owner most of my life, but I never get over how cute they look when they sit with their paws curled into their chest! I just love when they sit like that.

Share Post

My girls do have beautiful, shiny coats. They clean each other, which is about the cutest, sweetest thing I've ever seen. They are good girls, though I have video evidence of them fighting...

@AgentRXS, I've seen that position referred to as a "loaf", I guess because the cat's body looks like a loaf of bread.

Mama hid behind the couch but eventually came out while I sat on the floor with Little Girl. The fireworks went on for about 1.5 hours and LG was largely unfazed. LM is more skittish by nature. It was their first July 4th with me and they did pretty well. Fireworks are dumb.

Share Post

Luckily neither Kook nor Catty Face are the least bit disturbed by fireworks.  We did have an urgent round of maximum barking followed by a mad dash up the stairs (as soon as he was sure I was coming too).

The cause for the outbreak?  Strange voices in my daughter's room.  

My daughter was doing some kind of group video call with her friends so the phone was on speaker.

Share Post

It was relatively quiet here. It’s so hot that even the squirrels are not eating as much. 

Speaking of: 

7DCB3926-09DA-4775-9283-29E5AE0E733D.jpeg.210aa0437a89f2a0065cccab8fcb9c53.jpeg

Share Post

Pennywise, one of the shelter's outdoor parking lot cats.

I just came back from a week and a half vacation and you can tell he definitely missed me. <3 <3 <3

36582884_10156494283989907_7022766476696223744_n.jpg

36717960_10156494284084907_5386828053718499328_n.jpg

Share Post

"Which button do I push to order room service?"

rji7bd.jpg

"Don't bother me; I'm on the phone."

258qdmx.jpg

On 7/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, bilgistic said:

Little Mama is not having any of these Fourth of July shenanigans.

That's one disgusted looking cat.

8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It was relatively quiet here. It’s so hot that even the squirrels are not eating as much.

Can we trade squirrels? I had to take my car to the shop today because our squirrels ate some of the wires.

Share Post

14 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

That's one disgusted looking cat.

She has Resting Cat Face.

Share Post

19 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Pennywise, one of the shelter's outdoor parking lot cats.

I just came back from a week and a half vacation and you can tell he definitely missed me. <3 <3 <3

36582884_10156494283989907_7022766476696223744_n.jpg

36717960_10156494284084907_5386828053718499328_n.jpg

Awww. He looks like my* Boo!

By "my" I mean the cat that adopted my parents and I wanted to keep but my mom wouldn't let me take to my apartment after they brought him inside their house.

"But he has several couches and beds and perches and your father and are are home all day...."

Share Post

Today is Little Mama's third birthday! This is how she's celebrating:

IMG_20180707_172334-756x1008.thumb.jpg.41d7443256415d33b8817ecbaa1daf7a.jpg

Yesterday afternoon, there was a huge thunderstorm that I got caught out in. When I got home, she was hiding behind the futon. I coaxed her out eventually and gave her lots of love. She's had a rough week with the fireworks on Wednesday and thunder yesterday. A long, quiet nap against my pasty white thigh is exactly what she needs.

Share Post

Aw, napebrating is the best! Happy birthday, Little Mama!

I bought the Kitties Gunderson a Coolaroo bed for the hot weather. They both refuse to sit on it, of course. 

Exciting neighborhood pet news - my next door neighbors are getting a French bulldog puppy! She comes home at the end of the month. We have already offered to walk and dog sit, plus she’s welcome in our yard anytime. 

Share Post

My girls lay in the bedroom window seat, which gets sun in the afternoon. I keep the blinds raised enough for them to have a view, but keep the blinds and curtains closed because the window is aluminum and conducts heat. My bedroom already doesn't get enough cool air. The girls will be hot to the touch but they apparently love it, the weirdos.

Share Post

That's very similar to what I have in the bedroom window. My girls smoosh together to lay on it.

Share Post

"Did you order the new package of cookies yet?"

image.png.02c7458ae8456891a276f18a7570d1cd.png

Share Post

On vacation for a week but miss my cat & dog so much it is ridiculous.  I clearly enjoy their company more than people company.

After inspecting every local boarding facility, including ones where they could share a room, my nephew's roomie is taking care of them.  

Share Post