Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

@isalicat - My cat eats mostly dry food and one is a prescription brand (Hills Prescription Diet t/d for dental care) and NUTRO High Protein Adult Cat Chicken & Whole Brown Rice Recipe.  He likes both of them very well and we don't go through the issues of him suddenly deciding that he won't eat X any longer (my Mom's cat does this every couple of weeks to her).  I'm sure that is more a reflection on my cat being agreeable than the food.  He's about 4 1/2 - 5 yo and his teeth were in good shape when I adopted him 2 years ago.

I haven't been consistent about giving him some dehydrated cat food - either The Honest Kitchen Grain Free Turkey or Only Natural Pet Easy Raw Cat Food - but I sometimes use this once a day for him too.

A couple of times a week I use a wash cloth slightly dampened and with some pet toothpaste* on it and give his teeth a sorta brush.  He's not thrilled about it and I can really only access the front side of the teeth, but since the dog gets his teeth brushed every day he suffers through (partially because they both have extremely jealous hearts and he can't stand that the dog gets a few minutes of my exclusive attention).

Usually I use Virbac CET Enzymatic toothpaste which is for dogs and cats.

@KnoxForPres - a collective sigh of relief from all of us!  Yeah!

Share Post

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Cat advice needed! I just picked up Louis from three days boarding at the vet during which he had his teeth cleaned and they needed to pull two teeth (one upper canine and one lower molar). He had his teeth cleaned there about 1-1/2 years ago and they did not need to do any extractions then. I have had a lot of kitties over my lifetime and never had one with dental issues before. The vet said that because he is a senior tom and doesn't digest dry food well that an entirely wet food diet is good for him overall but unfortunately contributes to the dental problems as the tartar on his teeth is not being scraped off by the crunchy dry food. So he recommended 1/4 dry food/3/4 wet food diet from now on. Do any of you know the best dry food that is particularly good for cat's teeth? We were going to go back and get the dry food we used to give my previous tom but then I thought I better ask you all as this forum is so rich in cat knowledge! (By the way - the bill for three days boarding, two vaccines and the dental work was $890.00 Yikes!)

Ouch.  When Ebony had to have an emergency tooth extraction they went ahead and cleaned all his teeth.  So no boarding, no vaccines, just the one extraction and cleaning it was $220.00, but a lot when you're on social security.  Apache goes  in tomorrow for all the lumps and bumps he has been rapidly growing.  I'm dreading both the results and the expense.  His previous life is unknown but he totally blossomed when I brought the 2 girl pups home for him to boss around so I'd say the last 3+ years of his life have been good and hopefully more.

Edited to add.....my vet also says dry food does not help the teeth.  I always thought it did.

d

Edited by deemac. Reason: add more

Share Post

Hi Everyone. It would appear that I am really bad at this whole being a part of an online community thing.  :(  

It is sad that it took reading breaking news about the Walking Dead to get me back here. I have missed chatting with you guys, so I wanted to pop in to say hello. So...hello! I hope everyone is doing well, and I'll try to stop in more often.

:)

Share Post

Went to meet Toonces today and it went well.  We're doing this on a trial basis first just to make sure things go ok.  I took Kook over with me and he was indifferent to the cats there until he noticed Toonces was getting too much attention.  At that point he presented himself for pets and praise.

Toonces probably won't be the name, but we'll figure out something.

She's quite pretty, not too big - maybe 9-10 lbs, but her body seems very solid!  Sir Robin is 10 lbs too, but very slinky.

This is the picture from the classified.  I think she looks a bit washed out so I guess it was the lighting.

IMG_1108.JPG

Share Post

Aww, a grey tabby with a little brown (like Riley, although they look nothing alike other than their general markings and coloring).  Clearly, she is perfect. ;-)

I hope everything works out.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Thank you!

My nephew and his roommate met me there - they both know a lot about dogs and cats.  The roomie is actually a pet groomer.  That allowed me to interact and hold the cat while one of them held Kook's leash.  I also got to see how the cat did when more strange people were around - as long as we were petting her, she was cool with it.  They drove her back to my house and said after a few meows, she was quiet the entire ride.

Things have gone well for the first night.  I set her up in my son's room so she has some space of her own in this strange new world.  She went under the bed right away, but came out within 10 minutes.  I made sure she had all the important stuff - litter box, water, food, a new scratching pad (Trader Joe's - double sided and Sir Robin loves them), and a new bedding pad that is all her own (but got a new one for Sir Robin too)

My son hung out in there for the first 30 minutes or so,  When I came back to check on them, she was quite comfortably lounging on the bed at his feet.  I went in his room several times in the evening just to let her get more used to me.  I'd hang out for 10 minutes or so each time and she was purring each time within a couple of minutes.  She's flop over on her side to give me more area to rub.

Sir Robin knows there is another cat here, but other than trying to sneak a peek his chi is not disrupted.  Toonces knows there is another cat outside the bedroom, but seems largely indifferent to it too.  Since Sir Robin likes to hang out in the garage sometimes, I'll open the bedroom door and Toonces can explore at will.  I also figured I would swap out their respective scratching pads and bedding so they get a better sniff at each other.

So far so good!

Share Post

@DeLurker Not that I’m an expert but it seems to me that you have thought things out and have done everything in a logical caring way. I have a feeling that it’s all going to work out well. Congratulations. Let me know when you have decided on a new name. 

Share Post

On 5/29/2018 at 3:31 PM, isalicat said:

Thanks, Bastet! I am definitely not going to be able to brush Louis' teeth so I guess we will just go with annual cleanings and hope for the best, poor boy. He is purring like crazy now that he is home! I was feeling so bad while we were gone because he came from the shelter and I kept imagining him thinking that we had sent him away for some reason he could not fathom. As to the bank account: I think that when you take on a pet you sign up for whatever...its part of the deal but the money spent never equals the great joy they bring to your life. I am blessed to be able to afford to care for Louis and its a privilege to do so. (I know many people are not so fortunate...)

This resonates with me a lot. I chose to (and thankfully could afford) have the disc surgery on Knox. But not everyone could do that and I had a cool talk with physical therapist for her (yes I’m insane).

I told her one of the reasons I decided to is Knox is very serious about her bathroom habits and has a sense of pride if that makes sense. The girl never has an accident since I trained her so many years ago. The PT said dogs don’t care at all. She’d be just as happy on a little wheelbarrow type device as walking and shatting and peeing whenever, wherever. 

I had given her human traits and the PT I’m sure was right. Sometimes maybe we can’t afford the best but the animal is like “I’m cool- let’s do this”.  And if that’s the best we can do and keep our companion than game on. 

Share Post

Warning - end of life issue below.

I’m worried that we may have to put down Kitty Gunderson the Elder. She seems to have lost some control of her bladder. She uses the boxes some times, but other times she just goes wherever she is. Of course I’m taking her to the vet to be checked out, but at almost 22 years, there isn’t much we can do. I’m sure it’s not a UTI; she’s had plenty of those over the last 3 years, and this is very different behavior.  Other than this issue, she’s a pretty happy cat, and frankly peeing outside of the box does not seem to bother her one bit. This is just really hard because it’s not clear cut. I don’t want to feel like I’m making this decision for the wrong reason. 

Share Post

13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Warning - end of life issue below.

I’m worried that we may have to put down Kitty Gunderson the Elder. She seems to have lost some control of her bladder. She uses the boxes some times, but other times she just goes wherever she is. Of course I’m taking her to the vet to be checked out, but at almost 22 years, there isn’t much we can do. I’m sure it’s not a UTI; she’s had plenty of those over the last 3 years, and this is very different behavior.  Other than this issue, she’s a pretty happy cat, and frankly peeing outside of the box does not seem to bother her one bit. This is just really hard because it’s not clear cut. I don’t want to feel like I’m making this decision for the wrong reason. 

I feel for Kitty Gunderson...the elder becoming infirm. It’s hard to know when the right time is. You and your vet have to assess what’s wrong, is she in any pain, and if you keep her going will she have quality of life. You stated she’s pretty happy. You have my heartfelt sympathy going through this with her. Is she losing her senses and hence not knowing or remembering where her box is? The urge may happen for her to pee so suddenly that she just can’t make it in time. I wish you a good resolution with this one. 22 years is a good long life for a cat but here’s nothing wrong with making it 23...health willing. 

Share Post

Oh @MargeGunderson I do hope you find out what is going on with Kitty Gunderson the Elder and it is something that can be dealt with and not as bad as you fear.

I have no doubt any decision you make will be because it is best for her.  As @Mindthinkr said how will this affect her quality of life.

You didn't say when you appointment is, but the Tift family has all our fingers and paws crossed for the best outcome and the wisdom and clarity to find the right answer.

I know this must be an awful weekend for you and I wish I had words to make it better, but lacking that, I do offer virtual hugs.

Share Post

Talk about an invasion of personal space. I have no idea how Ella is ok with Diamond sitting on half her body like that.

34323517_10156416861824907_2437280729437044736_n.jpg

Share Post

Well, we lost Oreo the Guinea Pig over the Memorial Day weekend. This weekend we welcomed Peanut the Guinea Pig into the fold. She looks so small next to S'mores. 

3OGBZ0Rl.jpg

And she's a climber!

z8gTKmVl.jpg

Share Post

Sorry for your loss of Oreo, and congrats on Peanut the climber!

Share Post

I'm so sorry about Oreo. Peanut is adorable!

In other news, Ella hates Mondays.

34307250_10156417213714907_7473901908663468032_n.jpg

Share Post

On 6/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, MargeGunderson said:

she’s a pretty happy cat, and frankly peeing outside of the box does not seem to bother her one bit. This is just really hard because it’s not clear cut. I don’t want to feel like I’m making this decision for the wrong reason. 

She sounds like she is a cherished member of your family and is a pretty happy cat.  As difficult as it is, I think you'll know when it is time and it does not sound like it is yet.

Share Post

11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Well, we lost Oreo the Guinea Pig over the Memorial Day weekend. This weekend we welcomed Peanut the Guinea Pig into the fold. She looks so small next to S'mores. 

3OGBZ0Rl.jpg

Apparently she looks like a pillow to S'mores.

Share Post

Any ideas on how long it typically takes cats to get used to each other?

Things seemed to be going decently - a lot of posturing in the periodic skirmishes.  Hissing, growling, puffed up hair (but just about halfway), some batting at each other but without claws.  I've been letting the cats interact in sessions - I did not want Cat TBD to have to be constantly on guard.  So I either site swap and/or just close a bedroom door on one of them.

Sir Robin has dropped all pretense of posturing - he's just nosy now and wants to find out more about TBD.  He's more likely to be the one to back down but also the one to quickly come back - it seems mostly out of curiosity.

But when I went to bed last night and Sir Robin and Kook come with me, so my son could open his bedroom door to let TBD roam the household without having to deal with them, she came to my door and did a couple of soft meows.  Not a mean one - kind of one that could be "I want to come in too" or just a general announcement that she was close by.  Neither Sir Robin nor Kook reacted or were upset by it.

Share Post

@DeLurker It sounds like it won't take much longer at all for everybody to just be used to the new three pet scenario.  I would assume at some point the two cats will need to decide how they rank in the social hierarchy, but from what you described, that should go relatively smoothly. 

11 hours ago, Jean-Beth said:

Apparently she looks like a pillow to S'mores.

Yep. She cuddled up right next to the little one. It was a very easy introduction.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It was a very easy introduction.

Show off!

TBD was described as being a dominant personality by the woman who was fostering her.  Catty Face is definitely not dominant but he's not exactly submissive either.  Kook is not an alpha dog either.

Share Post

@DeLurker  Apparently you chose the right cat. Congratulations. Sounds like a done deal. 

Why is it as soon as I wash my sweaters to put away for the season Big Boy senses there’s fresh laundry to go lay on ? Drats  like I’m going to spend another few hours hand washing and drying before I leave them on the bed while I switch the next load. 

40847222-6A6B-4BFC-A03A-100CE8B78722.jpeg.d4169c6064aba99020c9abaa08aa2553.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr.

Share Post

I tried to do the slow introduction when I brought Snip home, but she wasn't having any of that.  After the third time she climbed over two baby gates stacked one on top of the other (that room doesn't have an actual door), I said "OK, just don't kill each other, please" and went to work figuring it's a two-bedroom apartment and there are more places for cats to be than there are cats to be in them.  There was some hissing periodically for about three days and ever since then, they've been using each other as pillows.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@DeLurker  Apparently you chose the right cat. Congratulations. Sounds like a done deal. 

Why is it as soon as I wash my sweaters to put away for the season Big Boy senses there’s fresh laundry to go lay on ? Drats  like I’m going to spend another few hours hand washing and drying before I leave them on the bed while I switch the next load. 

40847222-6A6B-4BFC-A03A-100CE8B78722.jpeg.d4169c6064aba99020c9abaa08aa2553.jpeg

What does it say about me that my reaction to this post was how irresponsible and lazy I felt after seeing it?  Washing sweaters for the season!  Now agreeing to hand wash!  Not saying “eh it’s dark, Big Boy is dark, no biggie”. 

Can you come stay with me for a weekend and help me sort my life out?

Share Post

I was feeling guilty about thinking "lint brush" would do the trick nicely.

Share Post

On 6/4/2018 at 11:04 AM, AgentRXS said:

In other news, Ella hates Mondays.

34307250_10156417213714907_7473901908663468032_n.jpg

I first had an inkling when you posted Ella being soooo happy being outside on the leash. Then the warm and fuzzy ones with your other cat.  Now I know for sure that if @bilgistic were to become a cat, she would be Ella. 

As in, don't try to figure either of them out. haha

Edited by stewedsquash.

Share Post

I will be a very pampered cat in my next life.

Share Post

35 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I will be a very pampered cat in my next life.

I'm shooting to be Bosawk's pet - Ali always seems to be having a good time!

In the Continuing Tales of Catty Face and Cat TBD ~

In the early part of last night, the two were having their hiss and yowl off.  Both of them were taking part.  It would go on for a few minutes, quiet down for 15 or so, start back up, wash/rinse/repeat.  After a while, Catty Face came downstairs to hang out with me until I was ready to go to bed.

We go upstairs, he comes into my room like usual, noses around the sink while I brush my teeth, etc...when I go to bed he saunters out the door and heads towards my son's door.  A minute later, yowling erupts.  This time it is lasting longer than normal so I go in to break it up.

I walk in and see Catty Face laying on his back, paws in the air, rolling side to side - he's having a great time.  TBD is under the bed and still yowling her head off at this nutter who does not get how things are supposed to be settled in cat world.

This afternoon, the same thing is happening.  Catty Face is in the room looking out the window; TBD is yowling at him from the other side of the room.

Share Post

Finnegan is going through a growth spurt and thinks he's gonna die of starvation! LOL He was so tiny when we got him and he's gonna be a BIG boy! And he's so sweet and funny. He's a joy. Right now he's eating like teenager with a hollow leg.Finnegan.thumb.jpg.987c9104985a5b64e55366d115aabc3a.jpg

Thought I'd add a picture of his first day with us.

Opal.thumb.jpg.7deb7ece633eb47bcc0d50cd17332a16.jpg

Edited by riley702.

Share Post

12 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I first had an inkling when you posted Ella being soooo happy being outside on the leash. Then the warm and fuzzy ones with your other cat.  Now I know for sure that if @bilgistic were to become a cat, she would be Ella. 

As in, don't try to figure either of them out. haha

To be fair, Ella suffers from Resting Grumpy Face. She had just finished yawning and was still waking up from her mid-morning nap. She takes after me in that neither of us wake up in a particularly happy mood most of the time.

Share Post

7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

To be fair, Ella suffers from Resting Grumpy Face. She had just finished yawning and was still waking up from her mid-morning nap. She takes after me in that neither of us wake up in a particularly happy mood most of the time.

Me too. 

A new, and unexpected, chapter in the Tales of TBD.  Last night I put Catty Face in my room and closed the door so my son could get TBD bring her downstairs.  He sat her down on the couch between us and things settled down nicely.  Until Kook decided to come nose around getting TBD hissy.  I told him to sit and went back to petting TBD.  A few minutes of this and Kook starts to make funny noises - something between a whisper bark and a whine.  He NEVER has whined - I did not even know he could!  So I sat on the floor with Kook to give him reassuring attention.  Eventually he went into the dining room where the kids were doing something and I went back up with TBD.  Then he came back and TBD went on high alert again.

On the upside of his jealous heart, he willingly came when it was time to brush his teeth.  He usually practices the philosophy of passive resistance when it comes time for teeth brushing and baths, but if it meant I was giving him exclusive attention over TBD, he was all in.

Share Post

9 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Then I guess I am also an Ella. I am also a happy person but my first thought upon waking up (every single day of my life since forever) is always Damn, I have to wake up? Haha, she does have the best grumpy face! 

Share Post

19 hours ago, riley702 said:

Finnegan is going through a growth spurt and thinks he's gonna die of starvation! LOL He was so tiny when we got him and he's gonna be a BIG boy! And he's so sweet and funny. He's a joy. Right now he's eating like teenager with a hollow leg.Finnegan.thumb.jpg.987c9104985a5b64e55366d115aabc3a.jpg

Thought I'd add a picture of his first day with us.

Opal.thumb.jpg.7deb7ece633eb47bcc0d50cd17332a16.jpg

That little puffball was so freaking cute! And now he's a beautiful boy! Tell him I love him.

Share Post

Will do! He had a little black spot on his head that the lady cut off because she was afraid we would think it was grease and not take him. It regrew and is now nearly gone.

Share Post

@riley702, Finnegan was so cute as a kitten I squealed out loud. Those big ears and eyes! And now he’s quite handsome.

Share Post

He and Pearl were so damned sick. We were actually told he was a girl, and me and my SIL, Paula, have had cats our entire lives, and this is the only one we ever got wrong. After he started putting away the groceries, he... developed. And he had worms so bad. Medicine, groceries including as much KMR as they would drink, and all 3 (including bonus kitty Wren, a Siamese) started growing like crazy. Pearl and a sibling were much smaller than the rest of their litter, and her brother died within a day. Pearl has always been feisty - that had to help. She also adores people - when she sees you approach, she lights up and runs to you. Wren is quieter, but very affectionate as well. We got one from each pregnant mama, and all 3 have great personalities.

Edited by riley702. Reason: commas are good

Share Post

3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@riley702, Finnegan was so cute as a kitten I squealed out loud. Those big ears and eyes! And now he’s quite handsome.

He was ridiculously cute! I just want to squeeze him!

Share Post

I have three new kittens now-- one male and two females (Harry is the male, and Sally and Wilma are the females); I'd post pictures of them, but for some odd reason, my phone will not send the pictures to my email address. 

My brother brought them over yesterday, and everyone I've shown them to loves them. 

Share Post

I am terrified.  Shlamey may have cancer.  I have called the vet a couple of times the last visit after the tooth extraction because she was still having a lot of long strings of drool and though it looked clear, her fur was showing rust color where she wiped it.  She said because of her age she was healing slowly.  And she's developed a bald spot on her chin and I couldn't tell if it was really swollen or just looked it because it was bare.  I called again yesterday and they made an appointment for this morning.

She said the wound has closed and it may be there is some infection trapped under it that needs a stronger/different antibiotic.  But she also said she was very worried, and I could see it in her face, because the chin is swollen but some parts of it are hard. And she has lost weight since then.  She is eating, though I have noticed not as much at one time, but she does eat more often during the day. She said the xrays at the time of the extraction showed what looked like infection only but this maybe be cancer.  She gave her antibiotics today and Thursday she will have the biopsy.  That means going under twice in a little over a month at 18 years old which scares the Dr and me both.

She said I did everything right and that I called several times and that what I described and what she saw when I brought her in that last time looked like slow healing due to age.  I trust her very much and I do not think she missed anything or mistreated Shlamey at all.  I think if it is cancer, the tooth was the beginning or coincidental. 

This is going to be a long week waiting until next Thursday and then waiting for the results.

I am just so scared and trying not to be upset because Shlamey picks up on and reacts to my emotions like you wouldn't believe but I just need it to be next Friday or Monday after that so I know what we are looking at.

The Dr. said if it is cancer, then it depends on what kind.  Some are treatable and some, well, they are not.

Share Post

@tiftgirl - it will be a long wait for the results.  In the meantime, please take care of yourself and your girl.  Do your best to make her comfortable - I suspect it will make both of you feel better.

Share Post

Oh, no! Good luck and keep us posted.

ETA: And spoil that child!

Edited by riley702.

Share Post

@tiftgirl - I am keeping you and Shlamey in my thoughts during these trying times.  Don't lose hope, and don't despair - even some dire diagnoses can sometimes give you unexpectedly longer good times with your kitty than you could expect.  

Share Post

@tiftgirl I’m so sorry for your fur baby. Luckily you have spotted it early and hopefully it turns out to be no more than an infection that can be cured for antibiotics. Fingers crossed for Slamey and hoping for the best possible results. 

Share Post

@tiftgirl, I’m so sorry to hear about Shlamey. I hope that it turns out to be treatable. We’re all rooting for shlamey and you. 

Share Post

The closest I could get to a proper picture of the kittens: Wilma on the left, Harry in the middle, Sally on the right...

010.JPG

Share Post