S01.E03: One Brave Waitress 2014.10.16

Episode Description:

Rebecca attempt to become friends with the court stenographer after she forgets her name and also looks for a way to get retribution after failing to find justice in the courtroom.

Uggh.  That opening scene was brutal -- she knocks the firefighter out cold, dumps him on the floor and leaves.  The only redeeming factor was that at least she checked to see if he was alive before bolting for the door.  And then she dumps him again at the impound lot by driving away in a car that she doesn't own and is likely no longer licensed or insured while she is driving it off the lot.  Oh that wacky judge. </snark>

Did I miss something about the defense lawyer, because she wasn't all that and a bag of chips that they made her out to be ?

The nonsense with the stenographer was really bad too -- because it wasn't even mildly amusing.

I get that she's a 'bad judge' and all but committing disbarment level behavior with the prosecuting attorney, in front of a witness (the bailiff) is still wrong.  And then following it up with completely none too subtle gestures during court that the fix is in.  Once the case is dismissed, Rebecca decides to berate the defendant that she is out to get him if he plays grab ass again followed by assaulting him the parking lot, with no repercussions at all.  All because she was a waitress with a shitty boss once upon a time.  None of which was funny.

The bailiff continues to be the highlight of this show.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

I thought that was a great episode. Very much improved. I was hoping the show would find its footing. For me, it did tonight.

Rebecca's face at the end was priceless. Lol.

Share Post

It's totally ridiculous, but for some reason I'm on the side of liking this show.  Not so much I'd be disappointed if it left the air, but frankly I don't mind the over-the-topness, because it's kind of what's on the can, so to speak.  I won't hold this one to any standards of realism, because its not pretending even a micro-kernel of realism.

Also, while I've hated all of her previous shows, I've always liked Kate Walsh in interviews, on talk shows, etc.  From them she always appears to be far more THIS uncouth outrageous person than the kind of drippy annoying melodramatic character she played on Grays and that other show.

Share Post

There is some funny stuff going on for me but the two main plots (the courtroom stuff with the bar owner, and the stenographer) just didn't really interest me. I think they would be better off just making the actual courtroom stuff just various bits, rather than having it be a continuous story that runs through the episode.  I mean I didn't care about BJ Knockers, and the fact that the case didn't really go anywhere kind of made it worse.  That said I always like a good Fast Times at Ridgemont High/Moving in Stereo reference. And I did laugh at how the defense lawyer's outfits got more and more ridiculous each time.

It's totally ridiculous, but for some reason I'm on the side of liking this show.  Not so much I'd be disappointed if it left the air, but frankly I don't mind the over-the-topness, because it's kind of what's on the can, so to speak.  I won't hold this one to any standards of realism, because its not pretending even a micro-kernel of realism.

I don't care about the lack of realism either. I mean do people complain about how no commercial airline flight would ever be like what happened on the movie Airplane?

Share Post