Season 1: So Many Bad Renos, So Little Time

What a weird little show this is.  I saw an episode--maybe the first one--and wondered why in the world the "contractor" would put himself through this. At first I thought they were going with a redemption arc, but they pretty consistently made fun of and criticized the contractor throughout.  I feel like there must be a whole lot happening behind the scenes.  Would love to know the fully story behind this show.

Share Post

I agree with you about this being a weird little show. There is something about it that just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's the contractors willingness to be humiliated on national tv, the private investigator always being able to find these contractors and the obvious outcome of the show. Beautiful work done by licensed contractor (also known as the husband of the private investigator).

Nevertheless, I do believe that "contractors" should do the work they are paid for and do it right. People need to research everyone they hire to come into their home for whatever purpose they are hiring them.Whether it is remodeling, construction, pet sitting, baby sitting. You can never be too careful.

Stupidity or naivety on the part of the home owners is also a problem. But I do enjoy watching this show occasionally. 

Share Post

I'm convinced this show is fake. There is no way a contractor would appear on this show and have the world told they were incompetent morons who put a family at risk. If they guys were real contractors or did anything in the business at all, they would never work again. Who would agree to do this, even for the small sum of money they would be paid. They must be just average Joes who are paid to act out a part. I can't imagine any employers giving these guys a job of any kind unless they could provide proof they were 'acting'.

I am also suspicious of some of the families. In this week's episode, the family supposedly lived for months in a house with black mold and mildew as well as numerous exposed wiring, all with little kids around. Even if they couldn't find the contractor (which SKip's wife finds in two minutes), they would attempt to cover up the exposed wires or have the mold removed. Would you really risk the life of your children for months on end because you were mad at a contractor? I understand they may not have the money, but it doesn't cost much to buy clamps to cover the wires and the health department could intervene regarding the mold.

Share Post

The one this week, the contractor did bale.  He said he would come back then never did. They looked for and found him again and he just said too bad.  I want an update once they take him to court.  The show did have the license board called and they were looking to pull his license.  These people gave him $90K on an $100K job and he did almost nothing after the demo.  Then he had to nerve to say he wouldn't come back because he was out of money.

Share Post

I am also suspicious of some of the families. In this week's episode, the family supposedly lived for months in a house with black mold and mildew as well as numerous exposed wiring, all with little kids around. Even if they couldn't find the contractor (which SKip's wife finds in two minutes), they would attempt to cover up the exposed wires or have the mold removed. Would you really risk the life of your children for months on end because you were mad at a contractor?

Ditto.  I caught an episode today in which a contractor left a family in a lurch by gutting two bathrooms but not finishing the job.  The family claimed they've had to use the bathroom at their church nearby!  If the lady of the house had the urge to pee during the night she went in a can!  What?  It wouldn't have been hard to get a temporary toilet installed (say by Home Depot or something) until things get straightened out.  Plus there are better options than a can.  My mother was an invalid and used a portable toilet we bought at a medical supply shop.  It's not fun to empty it, but it gets the job done.    Yeesh!

Share Post