S04.E01: The Haunted Farm 2014.10.05

Episode Synopsis:

Five teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator and sugar artist go to battle to create mind-blowing Halloween themed displays that capture a terrifying Haunted Farm. At the end of the battle, one team will be eliminated. Special Guest Judge: Naomi Grossman, who appeared in American Horror Story: Asylum.

Share Post

Ah, Shin Min never change! She is just so nasty, when she says something nice, it is always followed with something horrible. I love her. The small scare was pathetic, One of them looked like a teddy bear eating lollipops. My favorite large scare was the scarcrow thing, but the eggs in the chicken one were amazing.

Share Post

The small scare was trolls, right?  What does it say about them that I can barely remember what any of them looked like, other than the one that was missing the bench?

I didn't think any of the haunted farms were up to the quality of some of the previous seasons.  There were good details in a couple of them, but overall nothing that wow'ed me.  (I consider the zombie wedding finalists from two years ago to be the high bar for this show.)   I thought the two-headed animal one was the right kind of creepy for Halloween, at least.  

Share Post

I am so happy this show is on this site (thank you to whoever requested it).  The opener was a little lackluster when you compare it to the greatness that was the Bling Bats and Dead Men Walking.  I wonder if the talent pool for this type of high pressure competitions are limited (they already seem to be using previous contestants).  I know there are many cake decorators, but how many sugar artists and pumpkins carvers can there be in the world (particularly on this high level)?

Share Post

I love Halloween Wars.  I was watching a marathon of last season and actually found it more interesting then originally thought.  The work was better then I remembered.  I think I was expecting so much after the first two years that I was too easily disappointed.  I'm going to try to watch this years with a more open mind. 

The short challenge was a bit disappointing to me, but they usually are.  Just not enough time, I guess.  The haunted farm theme held more promise, but still had a few problems.  I think the animals messed them up.  It's hard to sculpt lifelike animals.  I really didn't understand the chicken.  Did none of the team see how cute it was?  Not scary at all.  There were bright spots though.  I love the pumpkin carver on the winning team Bone Crushers (I think that is the team's name, not sure of them yet).   Plus, that was a great demonic looking scarecrow.  Looking forward to next week. 

Share Post

I love this show to death! The talent from these sugar artists, carvers and the like is truly amazing!

The small scare was okay - yes, that one troll looked like a teddy bear. How on earth did that lady think she could pour and solidy the sugar bench slats, then assemble it in only 45 minutes flat. No way.

My favourite of the Farm challenge was the scarecrow and the pumpkin mowing the field. The poor animals in the mouth - loved that one the best! Didn't get the chicken either. Even when they were hashing out the concept, I was like..."A chicken". Chickens are played for jokes, not creepy scary. Just not good.

Share Post

(I consider the zombie wedding finalists from two years ago to be the high bar for this show.)   \

That would be the Bling Bats from season 1.  They were awesome.   In addition to the vampire Marie Antoinette attacking a zombie, they also did the fantastic 'what happened to Sleeping Beauty when Prince Charming didn't show up' and the demonic chicken hatching from a pumpkin egg, which was one of the best small scares I've seen. 

I wonder if the talent pool for this type of high pressure competitions are limited (they already seem to be using previous contestants).  I know there are many cake decorators, but how many sugar artists and pumpkins carvers can there be in the world (particularly on this high level)?

I think there's a decent amount of sugar artists.  They always seemed to have a decent supply when they were still doing Challenge.  Pumpkin carver, on the other hand, would seem to have a limited pool to pull from.  

I really didn't understand the chicken.  Did none of the team see how cute it was?  Not scary at all.  

Shinmin was dead on about this one"  what was going through their minds using blown sugar for the head. You can't put any kind of emotion or expression in that kind of piece, and that's what the best pieces on Halloween Wars have.  I can give them a little more slack on the lights because if they had managed to diffuse it a LOT more and just had a subtle glow it would have been a cool addition to the piece.  But what they end up with was a mess.

I love this show to death! The talent from these sugar artists, carvers and the like is truly amazing!

The small scare was okay - yes, that one troll looked like a teddy bear. How on earth did that lady think she could pour and solidy the sugar bench slats, then assemble it in only 45 minutes flat. No way.

I don't know what was up with Team Gloom and Doom.  They should have been the odds on favorites.  They had not one, but two returning team members.  And I remember the cake artist from Challenge and he was pretty good. they simply could not get their shit together.

Share Post

Man the team that got eliminated was really drug down by their sugar artist. First she tried to pass off a few slats of sugar as a broken bench. And asks we use our imagination.

Then her barn wall started breaking apart and pedestrian are falling everywhere. I don't have to use my imagination to know she sucked.

Share Post