S01.E03: Wanna Talk About the Guest List? 2014.09.24

Family dramas impact the couple, as efforts to reconnect find Lauren meeting with her mother and Nick embarking on a fishing excursion with his brother.

Share Post

Lauren came off much better in this episode.  The sewing outing was funny only because I totally expected him to sew a finger.  

Hearing Nick talk about his family breaks my heart.  It also irritates me that Aaron is such a little douchebag.  He did not make it to the wedding and he should be ashamed of that.

Share Post

This episode made me sad for nick. And concerned that so much of his emotional stability is invested in this one relationship.

Also I had no idea her mother was a con artist who spent much of Lauren's childhood in prison.

Share Post

So, why didn't Aaron go to the wedding?  I thought Angel was the "normal" sibling without problems.  Is she estranged, too?  I had to wonder if Nick asked his mom to come out and see his therapist specifically for the show, in which case she was going to ask if she'd get paid to appear.  Lauren's situation with her mother helps explain why she has no problem cutting people from Nick's life.  Her dad seems like a good guy.  It's nice that Nick at least has that influence.

Share Post

This episode made me sad for nick. And concerned that so much of his emotional stability is invested in this one relationship.

Me too. He tends to cling to whoever because he doesn't have a healthy family bond. Of course that's tough because if things go south at some point with Lauren, he's left torn up again. IMHO He needs to just be able to stand on his own without anybody in order to heal. Lauren's dad seems cool but there's something kinda creepy there (and of course, Nick's drinking a beer visibly which I don't personally give two shits about cos Nick does what he wants, but hey,if you're advertising your sobriety in your book, why drink a beer on camera?) 

There was some kind of kerfuffle about Aaron having a show or doing a performance and he was supposed to fly in to the wedding but his plane was delayed or grounded. 

I'm not so sure about Angel. I heard she was at Coachella when N&L were married - but I also know that Nick missed Angel's wedding because he was taping his reality show. I don't know how much was "fine, Nick, if you don't come to my wedding, I won't come to yours" or if he was avoiding Jane and BJ and the rest (I believe Jane and BJ were at Angel's wedding)

The whole section with Lauren and her mother was just WEIRD. I felt like I was watching some generic Real Housewives show. And the cake place let somebody bring their dog to the tasting? (well, of course, it's L.A.)

Share Post

The rumor with Angel is that she and Lauren got into some kind of disagreement, hence her non-show for the wedding and Nick's non-show at hers.  There was a time she had a bunch of pics of Lauren on her Instagram and then one day they were all gone except for one I think.  

The extreme lines being drawn in this family and in Nick's life are troubling.  Like I get why he stays away from his mother but it seems that the rest of the family (including him) do this whole "Ok, you fuck me...I'll fuck you." type of dealing with each other and it's scary.  It's really dangerous to draw those types of lines with people when there is a high likelihood they will one day re-enter your life.

Aaron could have made it to that wedding.  The fact that he scheduled a show for the night before is kind of a dick move.  Like, I get people sometimes have things pop up, but your brother is getting married and you were asked to be in the wedding....can't you tell your "people" to block off these 3 days?  It's not like he's in demand anywhere....

I think Lauren and Lauren's dad revel in the fact that Nick views them both as highly important in his life.  The fact that Nick described Larry as "my new dad" is....I dunno....off putting?  Like I get family strife and parent hating all too well.  My father hated his mother for most of my life.  In fact, when she died it was barely a blip on his screen.  But he never looked at someone else and said "Ok, you're my new mommy!"  He just didn't acknowledge her in any way.  The fact that Nick has branded Larry as this "new dad" only makes me feel bad that he's so wanting that kind of relationship that he gave the title to someone else.

I don't trust Lauren.  The isolation Nick has surrounded himself with is scary concerning her.  The ONLY people who seem to have survived the storm are the other Boys.  I wonder if it's just a matter of time before she starts to plant seeds in his head that the other Boys don't care about him either.

The Nick Carter School of Sobriety....where you're sober but you can still drink!

Edited by CaughtOnTape.

Share Post

I don't trust Lauren.

Me either. I liked her in the very first episode, but things have since gone downhill. She is just very hard to sympathize with. She comes across as almost sociopathic with her cold stares.

Share Post

The Nick Carter School of Sobriety....where you're sober but you can still drink!

I really laughed at this. . .  especially since he put out that book with all the stuff about his cardiomyopathy. There was some old quote in that Jane Carter book years back where BJ said "there's the real world and then there's Nick World". Guess it still exists. 

I don't trust Lauren.  The isolation Nick has surrounded himself with is scary concerning her.

THIS. I know they are soul mates and all lovey dovey but what happens if/when one of them gets pissed at the other one - and Nick has cut off his entire family? I guess I'm not one of those people who believes that most people stay together forever (since the divorce rate is over 50% in this country). One thing is true - those Carters are clannish - over time I've watched them band together against other people. Does Lauren think Nick is such a hot commodity that he can be wildly successful on his own? (I'm not talking necessarily talent because Nick is very talented but IMHO really scattered and not in touch with what "popular" in media - he tends to do his own thing).

I'm all for Nick going into therapy and working on his issues but I'll say it again - he needs to stand on his own without Lauren as a crutch. 

Share Post

I love my Boys....don't get me wrong.  But I am very honest with myself about their popularity nowadays.  They are not in demand anymore and they are fine with that.  I've heard all 5 make some comment about how crazy the Millennium/B&B days were and they DO NOT want that kind of career anymore.  They aren't played on the radio or on MTV and they don't care.  So...that being said....Nick cannot forge ahead with a career without them.  Nothing.....NOTHING....he does is as successful on his own as the stuff he does with them.  

Lauren is mistaken if she thinks he will have any kind of career without them.  Especially considering any success he does have on his own is solely because of BSB fans whom she seems to resent.  He leaves the Boys?  He's screwed.  

My friends and I have had many a discussion about how scattered he is.  The stupid movie, the book tour, Nick & Knight, BSB, this TV show.....like Christ dude.....take a breather,  you just got married.  He routinely spreads himself too thin and then loses track of things and pisses fans off when he doesn't make good on promises he makes.  Why all the activity?  It seems like he cannot handle not being on tour in some way, shape or form.  They are already talking another BSB album after the cruise ends in October.  And there's talk of South American dates for the In A World Like This tour that apparently still hasn't ended.  It's insane the schedule he keeps.  And it's not like Donnie Wahlberg who also has a ton of shit going on.  Donnie seems grounded and just simply a busy man because he's in demand.  Nick seems like he's throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.....and that he's terrified of having to look at what's really going on in his life, so busy, busy, busy.

It's kind of sad to watch.

Share Post

Lauren is mistaken if she thinks he will have any kind of career without them.  Especially considering any success he does have on his own is solely because of BSB fans whom she seems to resent.  He leaves the Boys?  He's screwed.

Why bite the hand that feeds you? Let's face it - BSB is becoming a nostalgia group just like New Kids - and the people fueling that are old school fans. Again, nothing to do with talent but with the current climate of music/celebrity today. 

If Lauren wanted to be useful IMHO she would encourage him to work with his management to pinpoint exactly where his priorities should lie. She's not a manager and while I'm all for people "going for their dreams", it's got to be grounded in reality. And Nick and reality don't really mesh too well. 

So. . . people buying his book are fans. .  people Kickstarting his movie are fans. . . . people going to his N&K shows are fans. . . and she's all about pissing those people off? The deep pockets that fund all his endeavors, that literally pay for his house and his stinky little dogs and her big old diamond ring? SMH

Share Post

So. . . people buying his book are fans. .  people Kickstarting his movie are fans. . . . people going to his N&K shows are fans. . . 

Yes.  Exactly.

It would do a lot for her image on this show if she was shown putting herself out there with fans and not being so standoffish to everything about Nick that makes him Nick.  If you ask me she saw him and went "HA HA!  Project!" and went to work changing everything about him that she didn't like.

She'll regret getting in between him and his family one day.  

Edited by CaughtOnTape.

Share Post

I thought it was kind of sad that her mother seems far more physically attractive than Lauren is. Her face is just so immovable.

Share Post

Her mother is very beautiful. I was struck by that as well. Lauren definitely has injections and I think that's why her eyes go wonky sometimes. But I think her "stone cold princess" attitude brings on that scary frozen stare.

Share Post

The rumor with Angel is that she and Lauren got into some kind of disagreement, hence her non-show for the wedding and Nick's non-show at hers. There was a time she had a bunch of pics of Lauren on her Instagram and then one day they were all gone except for one I think.

The extreme lines being drawn in this family and in Nick's life are troubling. Like I get why he stays away from his mother but it seems that the rest of the family (including him) do this whole "Ok, you fuck me...I'll fuck you." type of dealing with each other and it's scary. It's really dangerous to draw those types of lines with people when there is a high likelihood they will one day re-enter your life.

Aaron could have made it to that wedding. The fact that he scheduled a show for the night before is kind of a dick move. Like, I get people sometimes have things pop up, but your brother is getting married and you were asked to be in the wedding....can't you tell your "people" to block off these 3 days? It's not like he's in demand anywhere....

I think Lauren and Lauren's dad revel in the fact that Nick views them both as highly important in his life. The fact that Nick described Larry as "my new dad" is....I dunno....off putting? Like I get family strife and parent hating all too well. My father hated his mother for most of my life. In fact, when she died it was barely a blip on his screen. But he never looked at someone else and said "Ok, you're my new mommy!" He just didn't acknowledge her in any way. The fact that Nick has branded Larry as this "new dad" only makes me feel bad that he's so wanting that kind of relationship that he gave the title to someone else.

I don't trust Lauren. The isolation Nick has surrounded himself with is scary concerning her. The ONLY people who seem to have survived the storm are the other Boys. I wonder if it's just a matter of time before she starts to plant seeds in his head that the other Boys don't care about him either.

Share Post