All Episodes Talk: Supernatural Secrets

Well I just saw 8 and that was actually a very good episode.  No pointless digressions (except for Maxwell, but considering he was one of the major players, giving him a few min was okay) good and varied action.

Share Post

OVA #9

Sigh. OVA 9 wasted most of the goodwill created by 8. All that buildup for the fight between Alucard and Anderson, and it consisted mostly of swirling and running...plus digressive narration. And more rape. And then the pattern was repeated for the battle with Walter: the fight started promisingly only to fizzle quickly.

I suspect that we’re supposed to be focusing on the philosophical talk about belief and humanity and identity and how monsters are “frail sobbing children” who pray for death. But mostly, I’m thinking about how the Major’s “plan” is preposterously overcomplicated by about 3 armies or 50-years of butler-ing. And that the Major is just like your asshole boss taking credit for everything he can point at.

I'm also suspicious of all praise on this show, because it’s almost always told, not shown; so the Integra-propping just seemed really false, as did the spate of corporate loyalty rhetoric that kept popping up. The worst thing about Walter was his betraying his Master?! Oh, and the Nazi Navy Captain was executed for talking back to his boss...eh, now it’s just making me miss Black Lagoon.

At least the end credits were really good again. Really enjoyed the song “SCARS” by Maon Kurosaki.

I thought Deadman Wonderland was the most WTF anime I had ever seen up to this point.  Then I saw Hellsing Ultimate. I wonder what the budget for red ink on this show was. Must have ordered industrial size containers of the stuff. 

I’m thinking the OVAs are mostly CG, based on the look of the later eps combined with what's listed in the end credits.

On the subject of WTF anime: I recently saw a review for Violence Jack OVAs that said "If you love appalling dismemberment, rape, and cannibalism, this is the anime for you! Those with good taste need not apply." Sounds about right for Hellsing Ultimate, too.

Share Post

The Major can't hit the broad side of a barn when he tries to murder one of his underlings. Oh, those wacky Nazis! Maybe he should borrow the pistol from that really quiet vampire with the hat. Hard to miss when you have a pistol with a barrel that's long enough to touch your target.

Walter had to undergo some sort of "procedure" to become a vampire. I guess just getting bitten isn't good enough for him.

One of these days Schrodinger should try to figure out why people keep killing him as soon as they meet him. "I brought you a message" (BANG), "Welcome ladies!" (BANG).

On the subject of WTF anime: I recently saw a review for Violence Jack OVAs that said "If you love appalling dismemberment, rape, and cannibalism, this is the anime for you! Those with good taste need not apply." Sounds about right for Hellsing Ultimate, too.

With Hellsing Ultimate the list also includes the wearing of gloves, the wearing of glasses, and smoking.

Share Post

So much pontificating by the Major in Hellsing X. It made me wish for the good old days of Father Anderson.

That was a really inventive way to get rid if Alucard, I'll grant them that. It worked better than anyone else's attempt, at least.

I liked that Pip gets to be the house at the end. His character became a lot more appealing after he was dead (which you could say about a lot of people in this series, I guess).

I still feel cheated out of a real purpose for Walter's actions, but I guess nobody in the series noticed, so why should I care?

Share Post

In the end the bad guys won. They got everything they wanted.

The quiet Nazi, The Captain, turned out to be some sort of a lightning-werewolf rather than a vampire. Integra's "good dog" comment might qualify as foreshadowing.

Nice that we got an explanation about why Alucard suddenly got all girly looking. He was using the appearance of one of his captured souls.

Nice bit of continuity there when Integra browbeats Sir Penwood's grandson into giving her a new helicopter. Recall that previously Sir Penwood had grumbled about being the go-to helicopter guy. And I loved the way that Integra makes him sound like an ass-kicking action hero.

They must have done a lot of remodeling in the Hellsing manor hallways. Now all the walls are white and there are doors every five feet.

Share Post

So, the Major’s point was individualism and a sense of self? And it took paradoxical cat essence to finally poison Alucard? Whatever. I’m glad it’s over.

There were a few remarkable visuals in OVAs 7-10, and the end credits were often quite entertaining, but I vastly preferred the original Hellsing series. Even though it looks/feels campy and dated, even though Seras is hella annoying…the series is so much better paced, with better music and less exposition! (Chiaki J. Konaka was the series’ writer, BTW. He also wrote the excellent Texhnolyze, Serial Experiments Lain and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.)

FYI, according to ANN, Ultimate was plagued by production problems and they had a big impact on what we saw.

I still feel cheated out of a real purpose for Walter's actions, but I guess nobody in the series noticed, so why should I care?

There are prequel OVAs titled Hellsing: The Dawn that focus on Walter. Haven’t seen ‘em, but apparently it’s covered there.

I was also looking for some further mention of “The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.” The only reference I noticed though was Seras zig-zagging in the pattern of the logo again. Oh well…Google: it’s a line from The Ripley Scroll, a 15th century poem about alchemy.

Nice that we got an explanation about why Alucard suddenly got all girly looking.

This is also apparently from the prequels. When I saw that both Alucard and Walter had de-aged though, my mind immediately went to “Oh gawd, it’s turned into a show about teenagers?!” I didn’t need another reason to not enjoy it, really. Fortunately, it moved on.

I’m going to listen to Secret Karma Serenade on a loop now, just to cleanse the palette.

Share Post

Oh well…Google: it’s a line from The Ripley Scroll, a 15th century poem about alchemy.

Yeah, I figured it was some sort of reference to Hermes Trismegistus. Might have something to do with those mystic diagrams on Alucard's gloves.

Share Post

I couldn’t stop myself from looking up Boo Doo PeoPle MurDer PeoPle. The Internet sayeth: it’s a reference to Voodoo People by Prodigy. Or it’s just incompetent spelling. Take your pick.

There is no V letter or V sound in Japanese. So its often translated by mistake as B or said with a B sound in English. This has led to some confusion such as in  Bubblgum Crisis where an early version had the biological creations called Boomers in English when they were meant to be Voomers. Later on the Japanese side confirmed Voomers was the correct version. VOodoo Organic Metal Extension Resource. 

Sort of a similar happens with L and R. Since there is no L letter or L sound the Japanese often mistakenly translate it English as an R and say it as R. Rarry instead of Larry for instance. 

Share Post

The Wild Geese is also the name of the committee that produced this show. Just so you know.

Actually the name is a reference to something quite famous. The Wild Geese were exiled Irish Soldiers who served in various armies as mercenaries as did their descendents who settled in many European centuries.  Its also a reference to a novel and the film the novel is based on. The subject matter mercenaries. Pip isn't French he is from Belgium. 

Share Post