"You Are Lisa Simpson." The Most Poignant Simpsons Moments

Thought I'd start a thread for the most heartwarming and/or bittersweet moments of the series.

First and foremost among them is the end of "Mother Simpson" when Homer sits on his car and looks up at the stars.

And of course the whole ending of "Lisa's Substitute" from Mr. Bergstroms' final message ("You are Lisa Simpson") to Homer being on the biggest roll of his life in parenting.

Share Post

Some of my favorite Simpsons moments are the sweet ones. I especially love Lisa/Homer moments.

Lisa The Beauty Queen- "You're looking at her through a father's eyes." "Well if I could gouge out somebody else's eyes and shove them in my sockets I would but to me she's beautiful!"

Lisa The Vegetarian- Homer giving Lisa a veggie back ride.

Lisa's Wedding- This whole exchange:

"Little Lisa. Lisa Simpson. I always felt you were the best thing my name ever got attached to. Since you learned to pin your own diapers, you've been smarter than me."
"Oh, Dad."
"No, no. Let me finish. I want you to know I've always been proud of you. You're my greatest accomplishment, and you did it all yourself. You helped me understand my own wife better and taught me to be a better person. But you're also my daughter. I don't think anybody could've had a better daughter.."

"Dad, you're babbling."
"See? You're still helping me."
Lisa sees the cufflinks. "Hey, Dad, did you forget to give those cuff links to Hugh?"

"No."

"Well?"

"I found them on the nightstand. I guess they weren't his cup of tea. Don't worry."
"But you've been going on about these all week."
"I'm sure he just forgot."

Those damn cufflinks and how quiet Home is when he explains where he found them. Ugh. And the end when Lisa is enthusiastically listening to Homer as he tells her about the fudge and riding the teacups.

HOMR- Homer's letter to Lisa before he gets the crayon back in his brain.

Share Post

I don't think it wasn't meant to be at the time but now it totally makes me cry.  After Selma decides to leave Troy and she say "I'll always remember you but not from your films."

First and foremost among them is the end of "Mother Simpson" when Homer sits on his car and looks up at the stars.

That gets to me every time.  Its just such a beautiful moment.

Share Post

Do it for her

That one gets me everytime. Especially now that I have daughters and we are a single income household and my job is sometimes shitty.

A couple others are Dancin' Homer just the way it is framed with Homer telling the story of one of his greatest failures.

Another big one for me is Moaning Lisa. It just amazes me that in 1990 an animated show in its first season would do an episode about an 8 year old girl suffering from depression. I mean her blues song ends with "I'm the saddest kid in grade #2". I am not sure any other half hour comedy show at the time (or even now) would dare touch a subject like that. And even if they did I doubt they would do it as well.

Share Post

Even though I always laugh when Homer is mean to Flanders, I get legitimately teary-eyed at the end of When Flanders Failed.  It's nice to see that even Homer can do something good for Flanders. 

And even though it makes her look like a jerk, I always wince in sympathetic pain when Lisa breaks Ralph's heart - I mean, who hasn't been rejected by someone they really, really liked?

And this quote from Homer to Moe always makes me smile: "Moe, this is a great thing for you. You went from sitting on the sidelines to getting in the game! Sometime, when you least expect it, you'll realize that someone loved you. And that means that someone can love you again! And that'll make you smile."

Share Post

And this quote from Homer to Moe always makes me smile: "Moe, this is a great thing for you. You went from sitting on the sidelines to getting in the game! Sometime, when you least expect it, you'll realize that someone loved you. And that means that someone can love you again! And that'll make you smile."And this quote from Homer to Moe always makes me smile: "Moe, this is a great thing for you. You went from sitting on the sidelines to getting in the game! Sometime, when you least expect it, you'll realize that someone loved you. And that means that someone can love you again! And that'll make you smile."

That was a great moment for Homer.

Another Homer/Lisa moment I liked was at the end of "Make Room for Lisa" when Lisa and Homer go to this spiritual lady to de-stress Lisa (because of her frustrations with Homer) and she has that dream where she's in Homer's body and it makes her realize that for all his faults and their differences, Homer does try to make her happy, and she ought to cut him some slack because he is the way he is -- I really wish Marge would realize that these days -- and to cut him some slack, she suggests they leave the story and do something they "would both enjoy" and go to the monster truck rally. 

Edited by Spartan Girl.

Share Post

"Do it for her," "we'll really miss you Mrs. K," Homer on his car, Flanders and Nelson missing Edna's laugh ... I tear up for every one of those.  And as for Mr. Bergstrom, I actually embroidered his note to Lisa, and have it hanging on the wall.

I like it on those rare occasions when Bart and Lisa do something nice for each other -- Bart and Michael Jackson writing the birthday song, Lisa buying Bart's soul, the flashbacks during their final hockey confrontation, and so on.

Share Post

Its been a while since I've seen Lisa's Substitute and I had totally forgotten that he reads the scene from Charlotte's Web when Charlotte dies.   Curse you Jon Vitti!

Share Post

"I got a problem. Once you stop this car, I'm gonna hug you. And kiss you. And I'll never be able to let you go."

"...And I never have."

Share Post

That moment in "Lisa the Simpson" got to me when Lisa goes on the local news under the false pretense of arguing against Proposition 305 ("you're against discount bus fares for war widows?"). I mean, at the end of the day, what makes us ourselves is all we really have left, and to think you're losing even that .... it's so sad. But she makes the best of it and shares all the wonderful things to appreciate about being smart and inquisitive, including a book recommendation for "possibly the best book about the art of turtle-stacking," Yertle the Turtle. It was just very sweet.

When Bart shoplifts in that one episode and then thinks Marge doesn't love him anymore. It breaks my heart when he asks Mrs. Van Houten if he can watch her do "Mom stuff." (My mom died a few years ago, and sometimes even as an adult, I wish I could ask that question of someone.) I like that Bart makes it up to Marge at the end with the photo.

Share Post

Bart's human moments just kill me. Two that have hit me recently have already been mentioned here - Bart thinking Marge doesn't love him anymore squeezes my heart every time. Just last night I BAWLED at him and Michael Jackson singing the birthday song to Lisa. Especially the lines that Bart sings himself: "He gave me the gift of a little sister and I'm proud of you today...." "I wish you better than your heart desires" I'M ACTUALLY CRYING NOW FROM TYPING IT.

Also when Lisa gets Bart's soul back. /heartstrings

Share Post

Also when Lisa gets Bart's soul back. /heartstrings

Aw SeenYouWitKieffah I love that episode. "I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda".

Share Post

I rewatched "Mother Simpson" the other weekend.  I know I already mentioned the ending on this thread, but there were other parts that deserve mention.  For instance, Mona's painful goodbye to little Homer in the flashback.  You could really feel her pain.

But I also thought it was kind of sweet how Mona reunited with Homer because she heard about his "death" in the papers and thought some "awful awful man" was lying in his grave.  One minute Homer and Mona are yelling at each other as strangers, then they both realize at the same time who the other really was.  It's a silly yet beautiful moment.

And hearing Mona's "D'oh!" after assuring Homer that he would always be a part of her.

God, I love this episode.

Share Post

I loved all the Lisa/Homer moments in the episode "Bart on the Road". I love the Homer/Lisa dynamic. I also have a soft spot for the episodes "Lisa's First Word" and "Lisa on Ice" The Bart/Lisa dynamic I think is very well done. They don't hate each other but they aren't bosom buddies. In the end though you know as adults they will always be there for each other. 

Share Post

On 11/11/2015 at 3:34 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I've always liked the end of Bart Gets an F when Miss Krabappel changes Bart's grade from an F to a D -.  

"I, I....kissed the teacher?"

Also, that scene in Lisa's Substitute is just perfect:

Lisa: You're the best teacher I'll ever have--
Bergstrom: Oh, that's not true, others will come.
Lisa: Oh please!
Bergstrom: You're right, I am the best. But they need me over in Capital City.
Lisa: But I need you too.
Bergstrom: When you're middle-class, anybody who cares will leave to help someone needier.
Lisa: ...I understand.

Edited by BlindMan94.

Share Post

This is meta, but... when the Simpsons began as shorts in April 1987, Bart and Lisa only knew a world with the Cold War, the Soviet Union and Mutually Assured Destruction. In 2018, Bart and Lisa have only known a post-9/11 world.

Share Post