Fashion Police in The Media

Me-yow!  Disney star Zendaya slams Giuliana Rancic for her inference that Zendaya looked/smelled like a druggie because she wore dreadlocks. (Rancic: "I feel that she smells like patchouli oil... or weed,")

Zendaya Slams 'Fashion Police' Host’s 'Ignorant Slurs' About Her Oscars Hairstyle

I don't know if it would have occurred to me at the time to be offended by Rancic's comments, but her inference that it's a fairly racist comment?  Yeah, I get why Zendaya is upset.  It probably is.

Good one, Skeletor! (oops... maybe I'm no better than Rancic with low-blows... oh well...)

Share Post

Giuliana really has no right to talk about how anybody looks with those arms of hers; I mean if she got caught in a windstorm, they'd break.

Share Post

I hope G keeps making fun of celebrities, she is getting to be kind of funny, not joan or Kathy funny but still funny to me. Don't let some teeny booper's hurt feelings change your opinions G.

Share Post

I know, this is such an overreaction, but it's going to test whether the show can/should even exist without Joan Rivers. They're going to have to be as fearless as she was if they want it to keep it going. Clearly Kelly is not, but if they got rid of her it could only improve. Joan would never care what anyone's reaction to a joke was.

Share Post

If Kelly does leave, I could see them getting Khloe Kartrashian to take her place, and she usually isn't afraid to state when she doesn't like something.

Edited by blaase.

Share Post

Ugh. Well, forget everything I said. Giuliana of course dropped to her knees to apologize on E! News over it. I knew she would though. There's really no reason for this show to exist without Joan.

Share Post

Well, Joan Rivers is known for the funny and her cutting wit. And Kathy's supposed to be filling that role now. Giuliana stepped outside of her straight-man role and she got called on it. And really, given that Giuliana is traditionally a huge suck-up to celebrities I can see where her comments are problematic.

Share Post

Of course she's a huge suck-up. I think she's been trying to pick up some of the slack of Joan not being there, but if she's going to do that she better be ready for the consequences, which means not backing down. Kathy is supposed to fill that slot, but she hasn't been nearly as cutting as I thought she was going to be. She's been pretty vanilla, actually.

Share Post

I actually thought Kathy was a lot meaner to Zendaya than Guilana was, questioning why she was even at the oscars, or what the heck she did?? LOL Of course Zendaya only focused on the hairstyle.

Share Post

I actually thought Kathy was a lot meaner to Zendaya than Guilana was, questioning why she was even at the oscars, or what the heck she did?? LOL Of course Zendaya only focused on the hairstyle.

Yeah, but I think there's an important distinction here.

A "why are they famous" rant may be mean, but its pretty fair game.  It's totally "neutral" to someone's race, gender, etc.  You can apply it equally to anyone.

A stupid comment about dreads and drugs isn't neutral in the same way.  Applying it to a black person carries a different weight than applying it randomly (yes, I know Zendaya doesn't look it, because she's very multiracial, but she self-identifies as black, from what I recall).

Not that Joan wouldn't tell race jokes.  But Guilana isn't Joan.  She doesn't have the panache to carry it off in such a way that the target is amused rather than offended.

Share Post

A "why are they famous" rant may be mean, but its pretty fair game.  It's totally "neutral" to someone's race, gender, etc.  You can apply it equally to anyone.

A stupid comment about dreads and drugs isn't neutral in the same way.  Applying it to a black person carries a different weight than applying it randomly (yes, I know Zendaya doesn't look it, because she's very multiracial, but she self-identifies as black, from what I recall).

Not that Joan wouldn't tell race jokes.  But Guilana isn't Joan.  She doesn't have the panache to carry it off in such a way that the target is amused rather than offended.

Why is it a race thing?? I see white people with dreads all the time.

Share Post

Why is it a race thing?? I see white people with dreads all the time.

Who are often accused of being poseurs and "acting black."

Share Post

Who are often accused of being poseurs and "acting black."

So whats  Beyonce doing , with her straight blonde hair?

Share Post

The first thing Guiliana actually said was patchouli which is more associated with white hippies than anyone else which is I buy G's response she was thinking boho/hippie not about race.

Edited because I misread a comment.

Edited by biakbiak.

Share Post

I know, this is such an overreaction, but it's going to test whether the show can/should even exist without Joan Rivers. They're going to have to be as fearless as she was if they want it to keep it going. Clearly Kelly is not, but if they got rid of her it could only improve. Joan would never care what anyone's reaction to a joke was.

Yeah, including those 3 women held hostage for years in Cleveland.

Why is Kelly Osbourne a fashion expert? I see she said she is questioning returning. I question why she was ever there.

Share Post

This.  Yes, Fashion Police has said worse.  But there is a difference.  Dreads originated with black culture.  White people may have appropriated them and wear them, but they originated and are heavily associated with black culture.  Giuliana herself praised Kylie Jenner when she got dreads and talked about how it was so edgy.  When Zendaya did it, it was met with negativity and stereotypes.  In what way did Zendaya even remotely look like a hippie at the Oscars?  Kathy's quip may have been mean but it was fixated on her status as a celebrity and therefore fair game.  Attaching negative stereotypes to Zendaya's hair has racial connotations and I suggest doing some research on the subject if you're not entirely sure why.  I don't even mean that as an insult, but I get that some don't understand why there are racial connotations attached to it and there have been some great articles about it in the past few days. Black women are often expected to conform to white standards of beauty, particularly as it relates to hair and particularly on red carpets, and when they don't they get called on it.  For instance Fashion Police have gone after Solange on multiple occasons when she wears her natural hair to events.  Just because Fashion Police have said worse, doesn't mean that people shouldn't call them out when they say vaguely racist things.  Also I think it blew up because there was already backlash to this years Oscars and the lack of diversity period in the nominations.

As for the apology, while Giuliana might not give a crap about Zendaya and her feelings, she does give a crap about many of the tv, movie and music stars that publicly backed Zendaya yesterday.  Shonda Rhimes, Viola Davis, Kerry Washington, Nicki Minaj, Solange, Ava DuVernay,  Taraji Henson, Lorde, Whoopi Goldberg, Michael Ealy, Timbaland, India Arie and many others celebs all backed Zendaya yesterday in some way.  So if Giuliana has plans to keep interviewing celebs on the red carpet, she needed to mend some fences.   She's not Joan Rivers and her livelihood does depend on the celebs she interviews/mocks.

Edited by spanana.

Share Post

As for the apology, while Giuliana might not give a crap about Zendaya and her feelings, she does give a crap about many of the tv, movie and music stars that publicly backed Zendaya yesterday.  Shonda Rhimes, Viola Davis, Kerry Washington, Nicki Minaj, Solange, Ava DuVernay, Lorde, Whoopi Goldberg, Michael Ealy, Timbaland, India Arie and many others celebs all backed Zendaya yesterday in some way.  So if Giuliana has plans to keep interviewing celebs on the red carpet, she needed to mend some fences.   She's not Joan Rivers and her livelihood does depend on the celebs she interviews/mocks.

Yeah, except Rhimes made a nice fool of herself with her mean Lady Gaga comment.  But overall you're correct--Giuliana doesn't have Joan's rep or well earned free pass on dangerous humor.  And maybe now she knows it.

Share Post

The first thing Guiliana actually said was patchouli which is more associated with white hippies than anyone else which is I buy G's response she was thinking boho/hippie not about race.

Edited because I misread a comment.

I saw the show and heard with Guiliana said.  I think she was calling Zendaya a boho chick more than anything which just sounded ignorant.

But the truth is these folks have to suck up to celebrities.  Joan didn't have to because she'd been around a long time and paid her dues.  Now there are so many entertainment shows, all trying to justify their existence.  If someone is seen as overly nasty to a celebrity and they, and others refuse to patronize that particular show, well, the person who made that comment is out of a job.

E probably told Guiliana to apologize.  

Also, having straight hair (though not blonde) is considered, in this society to be the default, while having dreadlocks is considered "exotic," so having locs isn't the same as straightening your hair IMO.

I don't think what Shonda said about Gaga was as nasty as what Guiliana said about Zendaya, because it didn't have any racial implications and maybe Shonda thought Idina Menzel was the better singer.  Personally, I thought Gaga was great and sounded very much like Julie Andrews.

Edited by Neurochick.

Share Post

Yeah, except Rhimes made a nice fool of herself with her mean Lady Gaga comment.  But overall you're correct--Giuliana doesn't have Joan's rep or well earned free pass on dangerous humor.  And maybe now she knows it.

Yes, but while Shonda Rhimes comment might be construed as mean, it certainly had no racist connotations.  These are two different things.  Nowhere did Zendaya complain that Fashion Police critiqued her choice of dress (they did), nor did she complain about Kathy's dig at her celeb status.  They have also critiqued her outfits previously to no comment. I don't think Giuliana is this awful person, but she does need to think twice about the stuff that comes out of her mouth.  She did something similar on a red carpet with Aziz Ansari awhile back where she started falling into stereotypes and he completely called her out on it and actually told her she was being racist, just he said it in a fairly comical way and it probably went right over her head.   I also imagine Shonda, Viola and Kerry are not industry people you want to piss off these days and I think Giuliana knows that.  And Solange is one step away from Beyonce.  So yeah...

Edited by spanana.

Share Post

So whats  Beyonce doing , with her straight blonde hair?

Conforming to what society considers beautiful because ignorant people call the way in which black people's hair grows out of our head ugly. Although some black people have naturally blonde hair so there's that too. 

I hated Joan Rivers. She never missed an opportunity to call Jennifer Hudson fat. I always wished JH had actually had an opportunity to spit in her eye after she lost the weight.

Share Post

Yes, but while Shonda Rhimes comment might be construted as mean, it certainly had no racist connotations.  These are two different things. 

I suppose it depends on if you believe the conspiracy theory that although Rhimes used the white Idina as her alternate suggestion to Gaga, that she was actually pissed about Gaga getting all the media attention instead of Common and John Legend.

Share Post

It definitely was a stupid remark and I can understand why Zendaya was upset but I definitely don't see why she wouldn't accept her apology and move on.  For the record, I didn't think the dreads were a good look for Zendaya (especially for the Oscars) and that has nothing to do with race.  I just didn't think she pulled it off. Is there a way to say that without offending someone....I just don't know.  Surely Guliana failed on that account but also acknowledges that.

The Fashion Police as a show is pretty much going to have a slow death.  No one can say the outrageous things that Joan said and get away with it.  If everyone on that team has to think about everyone they are going to offend with negative comments, the show is just going to be another Entertainment Tonight.  Of course racist comments shouldn't be tolerated, but I give Guliana the benefit of the doubt that her comment was meant to be edgy and funny and was just a fail instead (that she has acknowledged).

Edited by Palomar.

Share Post

Conforming to what society considers beautiful because ignorant people call the way in which black people's hair grows out of our head ugly. Although some black people have naturally blonde hair so there's that too. 

Heh.  That gets into the territory of multi-racial people who self-identify as black.  Which actually come to think of it is very relevant here, since even though she's not blonde, Zendaya certainly is exactly that (a multiracial person who identifies as black).

Share Post

It definitely was a stupid remark and I can understand why Zendaya was upset but I definitely don't see why she wouldn't accept her apology.

But she did accept her apology.  The real one.  Not the half assed one she put on twitter talking about bohemian something or other.  At this point it's the media that hasn't moved on.

Edited by spanana.

Share Post

I hated Joan Rivers. She never missed an opportunity to call Jennifer Hudson fat. I always wished JH had actually had an opportunity to spit in her eye after she lost the weight.

Well....she was fat. Its not like it was a big secret. People always say somebody is too thin but when somebody says somebody is fat that's wrong somehow. Makes no sense to me.

Share Post

Someone else first said "Or weed!" after G said patchouli.   I thought that was Kelly.  Was it Kathy?

Share Post

Well....she was fat. Its not like it was a big secret. People always say somebody is too thin but when somebody says somebody is fat that's wrong somehow. Makes no sense to me.

And as evidenced by JHud's current look, fat can be changed, but looking like the cat shat you out cannot. Therefore Ms. Rivers, IMO, should not have commented on anyone's appearance considering her face looked like she was a victim in Hiroshima. It's one thing if you have anything at all going for you in the looks/style department but Ms. Rivers had neither.

Hope that's a little clearer...

Edited by ThomasAAnderson.

Share Post

I think Guilana's comment was undoubtedly stupid and insensitive, Guilana has apologized and Zendaya accepted her apology-- while I think there's certainly a dialogue to be had over beauty standards and race, so hopefully people can move on to have that discussion instead of just being outraged. As for Kelly's ridiculous statements about people needing to make it right and thinking about quitting the Fashion Police-- don't let the door hit you on the way out, Kelly. For someone who says she is a friend of the victim, she certainly didn't stand up to Guilana on air (which, maybe it got cut for time or something) but seriously-- getting on the internet and demanding people apologize is much easier than saying it to their face and Kelly would have been a lot better served to have been upfront with Guilana, not threatening to quit the show via Twitter.

I always hated Joan ragging on people's afros (Solange in particular comes to mind), so I'm not upset Guilana is getting reamed for this. I honestly don't think she meant to make a racist comment, but it was ignorant and she really should think before she opens her mouth.

Share Post

I'm not sure why G needed to comment on the hair at all -- unless she was going to say how nice it was. Really, I thought the hair was stunning. It made the dress look prettier than it was.

Unintentional racist undertones aside, Zendaya is only 18 and should be off-limits to snark.

Share Post

Zendaya is an adult, so I don't think she is off limits. I thought her hairstyle was not great, and I have nothing against dreads. Her hairline looked really strange and it made her forehead look really small, also it looked way too big and fake. If she dreaded her own hair it would have probably come down to her shoulders and looked much better.

I mean how are you gonna stand up for women of color wearing their hair natural when what you have on your head is fake???

Edited by blaase.

Share Post

Zendaya is an adult, so I don't think she is off limits.

18 is an odd age.  Technically an adult, but come on... not really.  Honestly, I think that level of snark should be off-limits until they're 21.

Share Post

Do you think they should have kept the same format after Joan died or should they have rebooted it to be more of a Fashion Rap-Up? The former TV Guide channel used to to a Fashion type show after award shows and they basically did what Fashion Police used to do-show tons of celebrities, comment on them and moved on. I enjoy a little snark as much as everybody, but I tune in to see what everyone was wearing. And I can go online these days if Fashion Police doesn't show me all the celebs. Heck, Yahoo has them up immediately!

Share Post

Zendaya is an adult, so I don't think she is off limits. I thought her hairstyle was not great, and I have nothing against dreads. Her hairline looked really strange and it made her forehead look really small, also it looked way too big and fake. If she dreaded her own hair it would have probably come down to her shoulders and looked much better.

I mean how are you gonna stand up for women of color wearing their hair natural when what you have on your head is fake???

I think she was standing up for women of color being able to wear their hair however they choose to wear their hair, whether it be natural or not.  She just chose a hairstyle that has its roots in black culture and one that isn't particularly accepted by mainstream society as beautiful or acceptable, particularly for a red carpet. I also guarantee that many, many women on that red carpet were probably wearing some sort of fake extensions or weave or what not, and again, they don't get called out for not wearing their real hair.

As for dreading her own hair, well, it's a fairly big commitment.  One I'm sure she knows something about as her father has a full head of locs and has for years. But the girl is also a working actress in this town trying to book jobs. To further the point, how any acting jobs do you think she's going to book if she shows up to auditions with a full head of dreads in a room full of old white male executives?

Do you think they should have kept the same format after Joan died or should they have rebooted it to be more of a Fashion Rap-Up?

I think at this point they either need to end the show or reboot the format.  Joan was able to get away with saying things, generally unchallenged, because she was Joan.  She was an icon in the business and nobody was going to take her on.  None of these women/men are Joan, no matter how hard I think they are trying to be.  So either end it or change the format.   Besides, does anybody really care about Kathy Griffin's thought on fashion?  You know Kathy Griffin, the one whose voice in the background mentioned weed first in relation to Zendaya and Giuliana repeated it, but yet Kathy seems to be cowering under a rock someplace letting Giuliana completely take the fall for it all.

Edited by spanana.

Share Post

And as evidenced by JHud's current look, fat can be changed, but looking like the cat shat you out cannot. Therefore Ms. Rivers, IMO, should not have commented on anyone's appearance considering her face looked like she was a victim in Hiroshima. It's one thing if you have anything at all going for you in the looks/style department but Ms. Rivers had neither.

Hope that's a little clearer...

It was already clear. Thanks.

Exactly. Fat can be changed. So why should it be off limits? Jennifer Hudson looks great now so who cares?

Joan was the first one to make jokes about her face, she laughed at herself and that's one reason I liked her so much.

Its a matter of opinion whether Joan had style or not.

Edited by Maharincess.

Share Post

You know Kathy Griffin, the one whose voice in the background mentioned weed first in relation to Zendaya and Giuliana repeated it, but yet Kathy seems to be cowering under a rock someplace letting Giuliana completely take the fall for it all.

I'm curious about this.  I thought from watching the show that Kelly was the one who first mentioned weed, but was that just weird editing?  Kelly is being all huffy about it after the fact, but I'm pretty sure I saw her laughing at the whole thing during the show even if she isn't the one who mentioned weed.

Share Post

No horse in this race, merely a superficially-interested viewer/observer who is not a woman of color (I can [and try to] empathize but cannot relate directly to the experience).

I do remember someone else (not sure who) adding "weed." It wasn't Giuliana. Doesn't discount the offense and Giuliana's role in it. Merely an observation.

I do not remember Kelly's response being anything resembling horror during the show. I'm sure it was one of her fakey-fake reactions that I don't take seriously because, well, they're clearly fake and often hard to tell apart. Her indignation now and threats to quit the show do not match her reaction in the moment.  Had she responded with embarrassment or outrage for her friend, it would have been noteworthy and we would have remembered.

To the threat to quit: go ahead. You contribute very little of value to the discussion, anyway. Everything is "beautiful" and something with which you are "obsessed." I was having trouble seeing (to the extent that I looked -  not hard) how she was being dragged into the situation. Also odd.

Edited by RealityCowgirl.

Share Post

yikes, this Zendaya weed just continues to grow (see what I did there?). now a story at Jezebel (from US Weekly) quoting an "anonymous source" is claiming there were multiple takes of that segment and that Kelly protested for her friend during the taping. and that Kathy may have been more involved. oh my.

i gotta say though, the whole conversation started with Giuliana saying the hair (i.e. the extensions) overwhelmed her, which I tend to agree with. it looked to me like an industrial-sized turban had unraveled from her head. oops, i introduced another culture there by accident. dang. which BTW, dreadlocks go way back in history and not one culture holds the "patent" on it. Hindus, Egyptians, Greeks, Aztecs, southern Asians and others too, mainly for holy reasons, all rolled with the look back in the day when selfies were carved in stone. everyone get in line now to be offended.

oh and at the mention of "patchouli oil" while i watched FP Monday night, my first mental image was of Tim Robbins' "Ray" character from "High Fidelity." pony tail, not dreads.

Share Post

Honestly it's not Kathy Griffin's style to dodge a good fight over something she said. She wouldn't address it exactly like Joan, but there's be some kind of defiance/don't mess with my comedy reaction from her if it was her.

I suppose the one exception COULD be if Guiliana messed things up by publicly apologizing too quickly, and now everyone would seem foolish acting defiant about this.

Share Post

My next question is: is they had to do multiple takes, why the hell did the producers choose to air it? There were lilterally hundreds of other celebs and dresses they could have picked to comment on. The comment Guiliana made is still dumb, but the producers could have chosen not to air that particular segment. Hmmmph.

Share Post

My next question is: is they had to do multiple takes, why the hell did the producers choose to air it? There were lilterally hundreds of other celebs and dresses they could have picked to comment on. The comment Guiliana made is still dumb, but the producers could have chosen not to air that particular segment. Hmmmph.

I don't see the Hmmmph to this. The producers are saying that there WEREN'T multiple takes--that it's an unfounded rumor. Ergo, there was no ability to pick between takes. At most, they could have done an awkward edit, but probably had no idea the joke/comment would go down like a lead balloon.

Share Post

Do you think they should have kept the same format after Joan died or should they have rebooted it to be more of a Fashion Rap-Up? The former TV Guide channel used to to a Fashion type show after award shows and they basically did what Fashion Police used to do-show tons of celebrities, comment on them and moved on. I enjoy a little snark as much as everybody, but I tune in to see what everyone was wearing. And I can go online these days if Fashion Police doesn't show me all the celebs. Heck, Yahoo has them up immediately!

The thing is, there's a reason why the fashion recap shows disappeared from TVGN a while ago, and why all of the red carpet arrival coverage disappeared from TVGN -- it was boring as hell.  Even when they got someone interesting on the panel -- Tabatha Coffey, for example -- the host was as dull as dirt.  Or if the host was fun and lively -- Lisa Rinna, for example -- the panel was a snore-fest.

Not only did the fashion wrap-up shows disappear completely from TVGN, but whenever there was a random, pop-up show like that on some other channel (I think that Reelz tried to do one), it flopped too -- because it was too boring.

There was something different about the formula and the panels involving Joan Rivers -- even before she began working with Giuliana, Kelly and George.  As much as she shoehorned in (often not-very-funny) jokes, there was a certain energy that always made the fashion recap shows with Joan more successful, while the others failed.

I think that Giuliana is doing a good job of letting her humor come out -- I don't know if she should have apologized to Zendaya or not, but it was kind of her to do so -- and Kathy is funny enough, though I don't really know if anyone thinks of her when they think of fashion.  If they try to revamp the format and make it just about straightforward commentary on the fashions without the humor, snark and raunch, I think the show will flop.

Edited by Sherry67.

Share Post

I see why Guiliana apologized because she wants continued access to celebrities. However I think they would have made the same joke if that hairstyle had been on anyone, regardless of skin color. But whatever. That actress is a young woman trying to bust out of Disney mode and wants to be taken seriously.

Share Post

Just read the story posted on Jezebel. Setting this specific incident aside for a moment:

If everyone who is a friend of the show, or a friend of one of the hosts, is off limits, they'll run out of subjects at some point. Probably sooner than they realize.

Whether a specific comment crosses a boundary is one thing - and worthy of discussion, maybe even on screen. "We can't talk about her/him because we/I like her/him" is another.

If I'm reading the article accurately, focus during taping was on the latter rather than the former. One has more moral authority than the other, in my book.

Edited by RealityCowgirl.

Share Post

Guiliana blurted out her remark as casually as though she was sitting around the kitchen table talking to a couple of girlfriends. She spoke exactly as she thought, and yes it was racist in my opinion. Kelly Osbourne instantly felt the racial slap, it was visible in her face. I'm really tired of everyone and the  'social and political correctness' because it gets silly and out of hand. I do believe that high profile people seen by millions should have some filters and stereotyping anyone because they wear dreadlocks and equates wearing dreadlocks with smoking weed is absolutely wrong.

Guiliana wants to be entertaining and Fashion Police gives her the right to speak her mind in the same way Joan Rivers did. But sorry, I never liked Joan Rivers because she was mean and nasty. For some reason, Joan Rivers felt entitled to cast disparaging and hurtful remarks onto anyone she felt like just to get a cheap laugh. I disliked her for exactly that, her feeling of entitlement. I'm old so I remember Joan in her earlier days when she was a struggling comic and her jokes were funny because they weren't hurtful to any particular individual. Over the years I started turning her off if she was on TV, she got nastier and dirtier. So, okay I'm not a fan of Joan Rivers and Guiliana Rancic shouldn't try to fill her shoes by throwing racially charged comments.

Any topic of conversation is okay in my book no matter how controversial, but when it begins to denigrate specific cultures or races and puts them down as being less important then I have to say 'enough!'. Oh sure, if it was Joan Rivers that made this comment nobody would be making a big fuss because the public 'loved' Joan and forgave all her transgressions because she was a comic. I never really liked Guiliana Rancic either, she's just too difficult visually to watch and she's not a comedienne.

I never watch Fashion Police and only knew about this hullabaloo because of the press. I have always found it scripted in order to allow Joan Rivers to insert her 'ad libs' and 'amusing jokes' which in my opinion were well planned out and not spontaneous in the least. The number #1 commandment of TV for NON-COMICS should be, "I shall not intentionally make a mockery of another human because of their race, religion, or ethnicity".

Edited by HumblePi.

Share Post

So whats  Beyonce doing , with her straight blonde hair?

Women of color spend millions upon millions of dollars on hair products.  For years, hair has been a hot-button topic among African-American women. Many African American women feel they have been judged solely on their hair. There are women who will tell you that they have been denied advancements in their careers because of their hair, or judged because they wear locks.  African American women feel they have to spend billions of dollars on relaxers, wigs, extensions and other products that will make their hair culturally acceptable to mainstream America's ideal of beauty. Guiliana Rancic should have been aware that hair is a sensitive topic among women of color.

Edited by HumblePi.

Share Post

Maybe it's because fat people are marginalized, while thin people are not; in fact thin people get more cash and prizes for just being thin.

Share Post

I don't think what Shonda said about Gaga was as nasty as what Guiliana said about Zendaya, because it didn't have any racial implications and maybe Shonda thought Idina Menzel was the better singer.  Personally, I thought Gaga was great and sounded very much like Julie Andrews.

I don't know what the comment about Gaga was that Shonda made but I can honestly say that I thought Gaga did an absolutely wonderful job singing the songs that Julie Andrews made classic. She didn't make any attempts to stylize or twist the words or melody to make it unique for herself, she just put it out there in the most refined and classic manner. It was the true Julie Andrews version and I loved it. I am not, and have never been a fan of the voice of Idina Menzel. To me she has a voice trained specifically for the Broadway stage. It's sharp and it's loud. A stage performer has to be able to project their voice as far back as the last row in the theater. It's not the same as holding a microphone and singing into it in a voice that's not strained or sharp sounding. The entire John Travolta gag was so fake and awkward that I actually blushed with embarrassment in my own bedroom!  That was just awful.

Share Post