The Knick in the Media

Here is a great interview with Dr. Stanley Burns, the medical advisor of the show and curator of the Burns Archive, which is one of the largest collections of old medical photographs in the world. Some highlights:

He taught the actors how to do basic medical procedures, like suturing, and would trust Clive Owens to suture him up if need be. He even said that the actors took the lessons more seriously than his med students!

Doctors back then were just as brilliant as doctors today, they just were working with different equipment.

They took great pains to recreate the old medical equipment used on the show.

It's a really fascinating read, and I hope you enjoy it. http://mentalfloss.com/article/58736/interview-dr-stanley-burns-knicks-medical-advisor

Share Post

Doctors back then were just as brilliant as doctors today, they just were working with different equipment.

They took great pains to recreate the old medical equipment used on the show.

I think the show does a great job of portraying now archaic practices as the cutting edge techniques that they were seen as back when first invented.

Share Post

I found a couple of articles with great pictures on how current NYC streets got makeovers to make it look as though they were 1900 city streets.  Lots of canvas awnings were used on signs for existing businesses, as well as new signs hung over signs built into the old buildings.  Laundry was hung over balconies to hide more modern things that couldn't be removed.  

The NY Post article also has some good details on the costumes of various principal actors.  (The description of Abby's costume is accompanied with a misidentified picture of Cornelia, though.)  I hadn't picked up on the fact that Edwards is the only man on the show who wears patterned clothes, evidently due to the slightly European clothing sense he got while he was there for his medical training.

I would have LOVED to have been one of the people who were working in surrounding buildings during filming.  Had I owned a business in one of the buildings in the shot, I'd have allowed them to do whatever they liked to the facade of my building - on the condition that I could be an extra in a scene.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/07/how-the-knick-turned-the-modern-streets-of-manhattan-into-ye-olde-new-york/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/06/the-knick-new-york_n_4227618.html

Here's also a fun interview with Eve Hewson.  Cute story about the Lucy-Thackery injection scene.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/07/the-knick-star-eve-hewson-on-being-bono-s-daughter-and-injecting-cocaine-into-clive-owen-s-penis.html

Edited by eejm.

Share Post

From a recent interview with Bono: 

The proud father said that while he is looking forward to watching her new show The Knick, he admitted that he would have a problem with watching her in adult scenes and joked that "someone might get a thump."

"She's incredible," he added. "She is a dedicated actor, she deals much better with rejection than I. If you see The Knick, it is pretty incredible. I just have been told I can watch it up until episode seven, and then apparently stuff goes down that I can't see."

Share Post

San Francisco. So I guess Cornelia is not out of the picture. Isn't that her in the vestibule?

Things kind of went to hell for everybody by the end of last season. I really wonder what's next.

Edited by xaxat.

Share Post

The Hollywood Reporter says 

Cornelia and Cleary are going to embark on a partnership of sorts to solve...a murder mystery? Interesting. I wonder what that will involve and who will be the victim. If they'll be involved in more scenes together I'm guessing Cleary's knowledge of Cornelia's abortion will come up.

All of the other press for the first episode seems to be very good so far.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/17/the-knick-ten-knots-review

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20151015/tv-review-the-knick-remains-compelling-as-it-kicks-off-latest-season(a couple of major typos in this article)

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/10/the-knick-review-ten-knots.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/arts/television/the-knick-season-2-premiere-recap.html?_r=0

Share Post

Is anyone else listening to The Knick podcasts on Soundcloud?  They're hosted by the show's creators Jack Amiel and Michael Begler, and feature members of the cast (Michael Angarano and Chris Sullivan have each appeared twice, Eve hewson once) as well as the special effects and props masters.  It's really interesting! 

https://soundcloud.com/theknickpodcast

Share Post

Thanks so much for posting about the podcast! I just binge listen to all of them in one go and they are fascinating.

The fact that Michael Angarano (Bertie) was originally considered for the role of Cleary, Eve Hewson talking about her parents without namedropping, the surprising (for me) amount of CGI used on the show. . .

I second eejm's recommendation.

Share Post

I just love it, especially listening to Michael Angarano, Eve and Sully. Eve is so sweet.  I forget until I hear her speaking as herself that she's just 24 - same age as my older son.  I love hearing how she manages her dialect on the show. If she were to go out here in West Virginia with my older son and his friends in contemporary clothes doing her Lucy accent, she'd blend right in!

Share Post

I just love it, especially listening to Michael Angarano, Eve and Sully. Eve is so sweet.  I forget until I hear her speaking as herself that she's just 24 - same age as my older son.  I love hearing how she manages her dialect on the show. If she were to go out here in West Virginia with my older son and his friends in contemporary clothes doing her Lucy accent, she'd blend right in!

Isn't it fascinating, hearing about how the show comes together?  Eve is so much more animated than Lucy, and Chris seems as though he has Cleary's sense of humor but is more thoughtful and subdued.  It was kind of funny (and naturally a huge relief) to hear everyone repeatedly insist that Eric Johnson is the polar opposite of Gallinger, although he's always seemed like a really nice guy in the Post-Ops.  All in all they sound like a very tight cast and crew.  

I've started listening to these at work.  I just wish they were longer!

Share Post

After the season finale, I'm not sure where they go from here:  

Includes spoilers on the season finale from Variety:    http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-knick-season-3-cinemax-clive-owen-steven-soderbergh-1201662770/

While a decision for a renewal is still undetermined, a third season of “The Knick” is under consideration and negotiations are underway. Insiders close to the show tell Variety that a script for the season premiere has been ordered, in addition to a season outline.

Edited by MrPissyPuppy.

Share Post

Ooof, this is kind of a hug followed by a punch given that it comes directly from Soderbergh's mouth... and no new season until 2017 (at the earliest). I've bolded the parts I find most upsetting!

Soderbergh explained he had revealed the long-term plan to Cinemax from the beginning. “I told them that I’m going to do the first two years and then we are going to break out the story for seasons 3 and 4 and try and find a filmmaker or filmmakers to do this the way that I did. This is how we want to do this so that every two years, whoever comes on, has the freedom to create their universe.”

To hear it from Soderbergh, season three and beyond could be potentially radically different. The filmmaker said new filmmakers could totally reinvent the show if they wanted to. “They don't have to shoot it the way I shoot it. They don't have to score it the way I score it. They don't have to cast who I've cast,” he said. “They have maximum freedom to come in and just go, ‘I want to wipe the slate clean.’”

Edited by meisje.

Share Post

Guess that's the pitfall of having mainly movie people make shows.

They probably are juggling other projects, like the next feature they want to do.

Share Post

I respect the idea that he only wanted to do this for two years, but I think it's a little unfair to assume that people who did watch wouldn't get attached to the characters or want to see what happens to them, especially when they leave to many things hanging. That's how TV shows work, you know. If they wanted a complete open and shut miniseries style thing, they could have structured it that way and it would be more satisfying to think that it's over now.

Edited by Ruby25.

Share Post

This is cool because some shows have kept popular characters on too long simply because they didn't want to piss off fans. But given Thackery's downward trajectory, he was going to die soon anyway.

Share Post

Seeing that Soderbergh is likely not going to direct new seasons makes me quite a bit less enthusiastic to see it continue. If they got someone interesting to direct the entire season the way Soderbergh did I might be a bit more enthusiastic, but for now I'm very happy with the two seasons we got.

Share Post

I must admit this is disappointing, but I'll still reserve judgement until I get to see a few episodes.

But it sounds like a bad idea.

:-(

Share Post

Maybe instead of a whole season they could do a six hour mini series?  Syfy just did this with Childhood's End.

I really want a new season of this show, but the director is key to it's success.  In all honesty Soderbergh is the Knick.  Oh well, as long as Michael Bay is not directing an episode...I'm still game (all of a sudden the Knick has fifty explosion in one day and all the turn of the Century nurses are wearing booty shorts and constantly bending over).

Share Post

That's a great idea (6 hr miniseries, not booty short nurses lol)!

I'm just not ready to let go of this series.

Share Post

Let's not forget that the show is written by writers. So while SS set the tone and the vibe and the pacing, the writers created the stories and the characters (along with the actors). And the writers are staying.

Still, I'm very torn about having the show come back, I love it--but the finale really gave an ending to all the storylines. (They could go on, but it may feel forced-- like a sequel that wasn't meant to be.). So without Clive and SS, and with all those stories ending, I fear it will feel like it has jumped the shark.

Share Post

The Good, the Bad, and the Overly Proper: Dialect Coaches Rank the American Accents of TV’s Foreign Actors

All American

Clive Owen
The Knick’s M.D. extraordinaire aces his period American, among other things. The Corffs say the English actor’s “mid-Atlantic, more articulated” cadence — the accent foreigners are coached to use in international blockbusters — “is perfect for this show’s time and place.”

Eve Hewson
As early-20th-century nurse (and southern preacher’s daughter) Lucy Elkins on The Knick, Bono’s Irish-born daughter manages to completely submerge her brogue. Her diction, like Owen’s, “is good and right for the time period.”

Not Quite Native

Juliet Rylance
The Englishwoman’s aristocratic Cornelia Robertson on The Knick “has got most of her upper-crust New Yorker right,” save for a couple of slips with rs, in words like welfare, and as, in words like can, where her roots show a little.

Share Post

Gotta say, I'm not nuts about Soderbergh's plan. I'm okay with no Thackery, though I loved the character and Clive Owen in the role. I also understand that there seemed to be some sort of tying it all up in the final episode, so they may not want to revisit the same characters. But my expectations for this plan are very low, and I'm sure a lot of that is based on feeling so burned by the second season of True Detective. Same writer, different actors, different stories and different directors came together for a hot mess of a show I ultimately gave up on (and they'll have to earn me back).

Share Post

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-knick-season-three-steven-soderbergh-1201675175/

“I would like to keep going. I always thought of it as a six-year thing if we were allowed to continue. I hope we can figure it out. I hope we come up with something that I look at it and go, OK, I want to spend another two years of my life on that. Because that’s really the question. It’s an intense experience — rewarding, but I want to make sure we want to keep the bar at the same height or higher.”

As for the show’s star, Clive Owen, Soderbergh says the door is open on his potential return to his show as well. “I don’t know yet,” says Soderbergh. “There’s been a lot of discussion about if we switch time periods can we still bring back the cast but have them play other people. Everything’s on the table.”

It seems Soderbergh is willing to consider making another two year commitment to The Knick. I think I'll watch no matter what happens but certainly I hope for Soderbergh to be back directing, and if not that, another good director willing to direct the entire season as Soderbergh did. I agree 100% with Maysie that True Detective suffered from going to a more traditional production format with different directors for each episode. 

I'd rather they stay in the same story, but I suppose the anthology style idea they seem to be considering could be interesting, especially if it means Clive Owen can be back without it being a fake death cop out. 

Share Post

Not a big surprise. And I don't really have a problem with that. 

I'll miss the show, but I appreciate that it completed a story that was told very well.

Share Post

It will be one of the rare ones that went out on a high note.  So many of my favorite shows overstay their welcome and become awful in the final season.  I also appreciate that the writers took the time to wrap it ups with dignity, unlike Penny Dreadful and Togetherness.

Share Post

That's a shame.  I was still holding out hope.  I thought it still had plenty of room to keep developing but I rather it go out on top rather than overstay its welcome (eg Dexter).

Share Post

Interesting. I thought part of the reason for the show's demise was that Soderbergh had lost interest in the project.

And if black and white really was a serious consideration in Cinemax's decision then they are idiots. The Knick probably didn't have great ratings, but it generated more buzz for them than all of their other shows combined.

Share Post

I thought it was his choice not to continue the show, not the network's?

Share Post