Catherine Cawood: Awesomely Keeping Her Sh** Together . . . Barely

I love a good ass-kicking, law-enforcing cop lady! And I guess it could be argued that it's just following the formula to inject the tough female protagonist with the requisite dose of vulnerability. But man, the shit that HV's Catherine is dealing with is WAY beyond formula, and as the season progresses we see her being more and more, well, raw is the word that keeps coming to my mind. As good as Sarah Lancashire is when she's shown coming apart, I especially love the moments (as when

she arrived at the scene of Kirstin's murder

) where a shadow of emotion crosses her face but she quietly puts it away and does the work that has to be done. I always get the sense that she's on the edge, though. Love the actress, the character, and the show.

Share Post

Another Catheriine Cawood fan here! I watched all six episodes the other night and was not bored for a second.  That's probably because SGT. Cawood is in almost every scene.  I agree that there were some slow periods in the last two episodes, but just watching Sarah Lancashire work her magic kept me up way past my bed time.

Guess what? She's coming back for Series 2!!

Share Post

Guess what? She's coming back for Series 2!!

I am dying. I just died. 

Share Post

I have only seen the first episode, but poor little grandson Ryan. He totally reminds me of Teen Mom 2's Jace.

I am enjoying the show so far, love Catherine.

Share Post

When I have grandchildren I'm going to have to insist that they call me "Gra-NEHHHH" in Ryan's cute little accent. 

Share Post

When I have grandchildren I'm going to have to insist that they call me "Gra-NEHHHH" in Ryan's cute little accent. 

Love that kid.

Share Post

I think Sarah Lancashire is perfect for the role.  I'm going to have to look her up on old Coronation Street episodes to see what she was like there.  

oh my god, it's Raquel.  I knew I was familiar with the actress, but never realising it was Raquel.... 

Edited by Meander.

Share Post

I think Sarah Lancashire is perfect for the role.  I'm going to have to look her up on old Coronation Street episodes to see what she was like there.   I've watched all of last Tango in Halifax, and enjoyed her there as well.

Thanks for the reminder, I used to love Raquel from Coronation Street!  Sarah Lancashire was brilliant, combining comedy with vulnerability and pathos.  Here she is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TM1lJR0Kg8

Edited by pointybird.

Share Post

On 08/11/2014 at 1:47 PM, Meander said:

oh my god, it's Raquel.  I knew I was familiar with the actress, but never realising it was Raquel.... 

Yeah I didn't figure that one either although I knew she looked familiar. I watched Last Tango in Halifax and this and I've watched Corrie since I was a kid. (Although Raquel was a before my time by a bit). I think its her voice that threw me off Raquel had such a breathy little voice, totally different from Catherine's deep rough tones or even Caroline's clipped posh accent.

Share Post

She is so good in this, and gal who plays her sister, actually looks like her sister, hell, she looks exactly LIKE HER. Wonderful series, just discovered it on Netflix, kept me up all night, but I am retired and can do whatever I want. Going to watch Series 2 this weekend! Love love love this series. There is nothing better than a British lady cop! The new series Collateral is fantastic too, it is on netflix right now. 

Share Post