S01.E01: The Fadeaway 2014.08.07

Frustrated by a former beau who takes things too seriously, Riki becomes involved with a fellow comedian in the hopes that their senses of humor will be more of a match. Meanwhile, Kate has to audition for a movie role against a major star that’s outside of her comfort zone while also trying to figure out the most inconspicuous way to end a relationship.

Share Post

Does Brian Posehn's presence in this episode mean that G&O takes place in the same setting as The Sarah Silverman Program?

The first scene did a great job of setting this sitcom in a version of Riki and Kate's real lives.I'm not necessarily on board with Kate being set up as the dumb one or "borderline autistic", and Riki as the slutty one though perhaps both characterizations have some element of truth to them (who knows?). It looks like they are trying to write from the central song of the episode outward, and I'm not sure that that works in general. I wouldn't want to forgo the music though, and so this approach may be for the best.

I liked the episode, but it did not make laugh as hard as Ep. 3.

Share Post

Damn. I LOVED this.  I was expecting to like it at least a bit, but it exceeded my expectations.

Share Post

I'm not even really a Garfunkle & Oates fan (I've seen them but never really loved them). But they totally raised their game for this (and at least in this one episode, the writing was pretty sharp).

Share Post

Not ad good as the episode they put online, but I enjoyed it. I did not expect Ben Kingsley to show up.

Share Post

Does Brian Posehn's presence in this episode mean that G&O takes place in the same setting as The Sarah Silverman Program?

That wasn't Brian Posehn, it was his "boyfriend" Steve Agee, but of course it could still be part of the same universe.  

Share Post

That wasn't Brian Posehn, it was his "boyfriend" Steve Agee, but of course it could still be part of the same universe.  

My memory of the Sarah Silverman Program has faded a bit.  Did it seem for sure that he was "in character" as the same person?  If so, we can add him to our Tommyverse discussion...  if not, then he's just an actor appearing on multiple shows.

Share Post

My memory of the Sarah Silverman Program has faded a bit.  Did it seem for sure that he was "in character" as the same person?  If so, we can add him to our Tommyverse discussion...  if not, then he's just an actor appearing on multiple shows.

No, not at all: he was playing a cashier at a toy store. It's conceivable that the Sarah Silverman Program character could have such a job by this point, but nothing to indicate that he was the same character.

Share Post

I watched the shorts on HBO in anticipation of this show, and the show went above the high bar set by those. There are also some musical shorts on IFC that are so smart--witty and droll. I laughed out loud several times during the show. I love these ladies so much now, and I had previously been take-or-leave-them when seeing them on late-night talk shows. My new favorite comedians!

Share Post

Finally saw it. The AV Club review wasn't that enthusiastic, but I thought the pilot was really good. Very funny, nice stuff. A couple of rough spots as far as pacing and editing. But on the other hand, I liked how there were little moments like Jeselnik's character snaking Riki's joke that kinda meant something but also weren't made larger than they had to be.

Share Post

Finally saw it. The AV Club review wasn't that enthusiastic, but I thought the pilot was really good. Very funny, nice stuff. A couple of rough spots as far as pacing and editing. But on the other hand, I liked how there were little moments like Jeselnik's character snaking Riki's joke that kinda meant something but also weren't made larger than they had to be.

Then AV Club is wrong.  It was great.

Share Post

I watched it. I found it amusing but not hilarious. I also thought the songs were funnier than the non-song parts of the show. It's interesting the last show I remember with this concept (comedians applying their lives to develop their material) was Seinfeld. Considering the number of stand-up types who get shows, I am surprised this type of show doesn't come up more often.

Share Post

I watched it. I found it amusing but not hilarious. I also thought the songs were funnier than the non-song parts of the show. It's interesting the last show I remember with this concept (comedians applying their lives to develop their material) was Seinfeld. Considering the number of stand-up types who get shows, I am surprised this type of show doesn't come up more often.

This fall's Mulaney, on Fox, is going to be that concept too.

Share Post