Book 5: The Fiery Cross

I just finished FC.  I feel like with all the Outlander books there are parts that I really love and parts I force myself through.  I felt like this book had fewer parts that I loved than the other ones in the series.  Possibly because there wasn't anything I just couldn't wait to read in this one.  In DoA I was so excited for Bree to meet Jamie and in Voyager it was Jamie and Claire's reunion.  I also think I'm odd in that I enjoyed scenes set in more modern times.  I also missed Fergus because he seemed to be barely there.  

I didn't mind the breastfeeding and diaper focus of this book.  I have three young children and one is still nursing so Bree's struggle with engorgement felt real to me.  Better than books and shows where a nursing mother is away from her baby without issues.

I'm going to start the next book soon.  I hope that I like it better.  It's shorter so at least it'll be a "quicker" read.

Share Post

9 hours ago, Nire said:

I just finished FC.  I feel like with all the Outlander books there are parts that I really love and parts I force myself through.

I think that's probably a very fair assessment of the whole series. Sometimes Diana will write something that really engages me and other times I'm sitting there wondering why I keep reading them. I think the good wins out in the end, but some books it's harder to tell than others. 

9 hours ago, Nire said:

I also missed Fergus because he seemed to be barely there.

I missed Fergus as well! 

9 hours ago, Nire said:

I also think I'm odd in that I enjoyed scenes set in more modern times.

I like them too. They provide a nice balance and remind us of the time travel aspect. I will say there is more of the modern times to come...I won't tell you when or why, though. ;)

Share Post

I think Fiery Cross is a book that's becomes better when your read it a second or third time . You're  not trying to find out where you're going anymore   so you can enjoy the scenery .

Share Post

And this is where I'm stuck...

I read the first three books very fast, between seasons 1 and 2.  Book 4 was more of a slog, and now I'm just stuck in the mud.  I put Book 5 down last fall and have yet to pick it up again.  I got through the longest day ever with minimal complaints, actually, but then just lost interest.  The first books had adventure and fun, this one just has annoying Brianna.

Share Post

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I read the first three books very fast, between seasons 1 and 2.  Book 4 was more of a slog, and now I'm just stuck in the mud.  I put Book 5 down last fall and have yet to pick it up again.  I got through the longest day ever with minimal complaints, actually, but then just lost interest.  The first books had adventure and fun, this one just has annoying Brianna.

Yeah, book 5 is by far my least favorite. I had heard that was true from other people I know who read these books. So, I just had to power through it and I wouldn't let myself put it down and read something else. 2nd least favorite is the 7th book I think. If you can get through it, I think books 6 and 8 are pretty good and book 7 has a bit that impacts later books.

It's been awhile since I've read it, but I wonder if you would miss much if you just tried with book 6 and continued on from there? I don't know. I can think of 1 thing that happens in book 5 to a character that really affects them going forward, but that's all I can come up with right now.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Rilla-my-Rilla said:

It's been awhile since I've read it, but I wonder if you would miss much if you just tried with book 6 and continued on from there? I don't know. I can think of 1 thing that happens in book 5 to a character that really affects them going forward, but that's all I can come up with right now.

Roger is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who has a big event that carries over. Although, the general plot of the book carries over into the next book, doesn't it? I bet you could probably catch on though.

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

That's funny, I don't even remember Briana taking up much room in this book; I generally think of this one as Roger's book, more than anything. I think if you can get past the second wedding this book seems to pick up in the last third quite a bit as I recall. Actually, in general, I think book 4 and on seem to lag and meander through the first thirds of them--they usually have some very nice character beats, though--and then the plot threads start to come together and the action picks up more.

Share Post

23 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Roger is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who has a big event that carries over. Although, the general plot of the book carries over into the next book, doesn't it? I bet you could probably catch on though.

Yep, that's who I was thinking of too.

Share Post

On 8/22/2017 at 7:40 PM, Rilla-my-Rilla said:

Yeah, book 5 is by far my least favorite. I had heard that was true from other people I know who read these books. So, I just had to power through it and I wouldn't let myself put it down and read something else. 2nd least favorite is the 7th book I think. If you can get through it, I think books 6 and 8 are pretty good and book 7 has a bit that impacts later books.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:34 PM, DittyDotDot said:

That's funny, I don't even remember Briana taking up much room in this book; I generally think of this one as Roger's book, more than anything. I think if you can get past the second wedding this book seems to pick up in the last third quite a bit as I recall. Actually, in general, I think book 4 and on seem to lag and meander through the first thirds of them--they usually have some very nice character beats, though--and then the plot threads start to come together and the action picks up more.

Thanks!  I'm thinking that I'll just have to skim it.  I've never been one to read a book that way because I'm always afraid I'll miss something good, but I think this is the book to do it.  I read a synopsis somewhere a while ago, and there are parts that look interesting; I just haven't gotten there yet.  And I got bored trying to get there. :-)  

Share Post

3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Thanks!  I'm thinking that I'll just have to skim it.  I've never been one to read a book that way because I'm always afraid I'll miss something good, but I think this is the book to do it.  I read a synopsis somewhere a while ago, and there are parts that look interesting; I just haven't gotten there yet.  And I got bored trying to get there. :-)  

Yeah, I think you could probably skim a lot of these books. Sometimes Diana just drones on and on and on for pages about something that could be done in just one. There are also a lot of random character beats--which I happen to love--but if you're more interested in the adventure and the overall plot, most of those could be skipped or skimmed.

Good luck!

Share Post

I just finished this book and something really's starting to bother me. I can't believe how little Claire, Roger or Brianna care or are bothered at all by slavery. There are parts where they seem to like it? In this book, there's actually a passage where Brianna is thinking that slavery isn't really that bad and Jocasta's slaves live better lives than poor white people, and I almost did a double take, thinking wtf did I just read? 

These are supposed to be people from the modern day (okay, the 60s/70s but come on) and Brianna is an American who studied history. There were parts in Book 4 where both Claire and Bree seemed to like being waited on, and now I can't help but wonder if it's some kind of fantasy of DG to live as a rich white plantation mistress or something. It's really creeping me out. 

There was also a part in this one where Claire goes on about how men are far more logical than women and she prefers their company any day, and I couldn't help but raise my eyebrows and think, yeah, remember that the next time they're trying to rape you, Claire.

Does Claire never have any moment in the series where she actually considers how she can only even contemplate choosing to live in this time because she's a white lady with a husband?

Edited by ruby24.

Share Post

While it's true that none of the Frasers do anything to advance abolitionist causes (100 years before the civil war), it's also true that they hate slavery.  Both the Frasers & the McKenzies separately rejected Jocasta's fortune because it came with slaves and they couldn't get mellow with the idea of being slave owners.  The slave that Claire bought to save his life was freed at the first opportunity and there are at least two other instances of them helping out runaway or freed slaves.  So I'm going to guess that no, they don't think that's it's okay.  

Did they accept the services of Jocasta's slaves?  Yes, they did, the same way they would have accepted the services of household servants on any rich estate.  Did they think that Jocasta's slaves were treated better than other slaves? Yes, they did because they were.  And yet, that didn't make it alright with any of them.  Either Claire or Bree (I can't recall which) empty their own chamberpots because they don't want slaves doing that for them.  

Remember that Jamie has a particular aversion to slavery because he was himself basically a slave at Helwater.  

I doubt very seriously that DG harbors any sort of white plantation owner fantasies but she does have a knack for covering complicated situations in a way that really irritates people in the 21st century. 

Share Post