Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Sam said somewhere (Twitter?) a few days ago that they had three more Season 3 episodes to shoot.  Then the actors would have a short break before starting Season 4.

  • 0

Share Post


Link to post

I'm listening to Davina Porter's reading of Voyager (again). I really hope they cut the angry-sex-after-Laoghaire-shows-up-that-is-quite-close-to-rape scene. I hate that scene. Hearing it, I just think "What is wrong with you, Diana?" I hope they just verbally fight, Jenny interrupts, Jamie walks away, etc.

The other scene that always bugs me is when Jamie throws his pregnant daughter around to show her she couldn't stop her rapist. He's a farmer and is watching a cow having trouble calving. That soon-to-be-grandbaby is already his blood. What the hell. It's like something out of "Gone with the Wind."

Sometime adaptations can be good.

  • 2

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dust Bunny said:

 

The other scene that always bugs me is when Jamie throws his pregnant daughter around to show her she couldn't stop her rapist. He's a farmer and is watching a cow having trouble calving. That soon-to-be-grandbaby is already his blood. What the hell. It's like something out of "Gone with the Wind."

 

Really ?  I love that scene , for me that's sort of the moment when Jamie and Brianna start being father and daughter . Up until that moment they were always using Claire as their mediator and translator and tried to  present a "nice and perfect" image to each other  . Here they ripped it all apart and connected on an emotional level for the first time .

  • 4

Share Post


Link to post
7 hours ago, lianau said:

Really ?  I love that scene , for me that's sort of the moment when Jamie and Brianna start being father and daughter . Up until that moment they were always using Claire as their mediator and translator and tried to  present a "nice and perfect" image to each other  . Here they ripped it all apart and connected on an emotional level for the first time .

I like the scene; I agree that it's a nice bonding between Jamie and Bree. I dislike the physical moment. Jamie could have hurt her or the child. I get the point of it: to show Brianna she couldn't over-power Bonnet. But I've always pictured it being just short of violent. 

  • 0

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dust Bunny said:

I like the scene; I agree that it's a nice bonding between Jamie and Bree. I dislike the physical moment. Jamie could have hurt her or the child. I get the point of it: to show Brianna she couldn't over-power Bonnet. But I've always pictured it being just short of violent. 

I think it has to be just short of violent for Brianna to understand what Jamie was trying to show her. I never thought the child was in any actual danger, though, but that might be harder to convey on-screen. I thought it was clear Jamie was doing the minimum violence necessary to make his point that it didn't matter what Brianna did; it wasn't her fault and there was no amount of violence she could've done that would've stopped Bonnet.

I would never call the the angry sex at Lallybroch rape because, to me, it is written as a fight between two people using sex instead of words; I thought Diana was clear in the writing it was both of them escalating and pushing each other's buttons. And, I thought it was important because it's the first time Claire and Jamie are truly honest with each other after they're reunited. But, it will be a fine line for them to walk in trying to show it a mutual fight since the visual with probably give the impression it's rape regardless.

I think it will be easier for them to show the scene of Brianna and Jamie because of the dialogue that comes after should make it clear to viewers that Jamie wasn't trying to hurt Brianna, or the baby, but trying to help her understand that being raped was not her fault. But, again, the visual of it all might be too powerful for some people to hang in there until the talk at the end?

Judging by how they've handled some of the other controversial scenes from the books, I can understand your wariness Dust Bunny. Back at the beginning I would've said I hoped they didn't shy away from any of the "uglier" scenes--I think they're important parts of the story, myself, and without them the story isn't quite the same--however, TV is a different medium and some things just don't translate to screen as well as they do in writing. So, maybe they should walk a wider berth around some of these scenes?

  • 5

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

I think it has to be just short of violent for Brianna to understand what Jamie was trying to show her. I never thought the child was in any actual danger, though, but that might be harder to convey on-screen. I thought it was clear Jamie was doing the minimum violence necessary to make his point that it didn't matter what Brianna did; it wasn't her fault and there was no amount of violence she could've done that would've stopped Bonnet.

I would never call the the angry sex at Lallybroch rape because, to me, it is written as a fight between two people using sex instead of words; I thought Diana was clear in the writing it was both of them escalating and pushing each other's buttons. And, I thought it was important because it's the first time Claire and Jamie are truly honest with each other after they're reunited. But, it will be a fine line for them to walk in trying to show it a mutual fight since the visual with probably give the impression it's rape regardless.

I think it will be easier for them to show the scene of Brianna and Jamie because of the dialogue that comes after should make it clear to viewers that Jamie wasn't trying to hurt Brianna, or the baby, but trying to help her understand that being raped was not her fault. But, again, the visual of it all might be too powerful for some people to hang in there until the talk at the end?

Judging by how they've handled some of the other controversial scenes from the books, I can understand your wariness Dust Bunny. Back at the beginning I would've said I hoped they didn't shy away from any of the "uglier" scenes--I think they're important parts of the story, myself, and without them the story isn't quite the same--however, TV is a different medium and some things just don't translate to screen as well as they do in writing. So, maybe they should walk a wider berth around some of these scenes?

Well said. I like the idea of wider berth.

In general, I'd like the ratio of bliss/joy to angst/pain higher than it's been. We had, what, 10 minutes of Lallybroch in season 2 (which included several shots from season 1). Don't get me wrong, the tragedy of Culloden needs to be shown (I've posted about that before), and the 20 year separation is vital and valuable to the story. And I absolutely love experiencing Jamie's journey. But then I want them to dwell in the joy of reunion. I want a shot of them catching up on the ship, little moments like that. We've lost little moments in the first two seasons to focus on things like "The Garrison Commander". And it doesn't have to be Jamie and Claire. I loved the scene of Fergus and Murtagh discussing women. More of that.

  • 3

Share Post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Dust Bunny said:

Well said. I like the idea of wider berth.

In general, I'd like the ratio of bliss/joy to angst/pain higher than it's been. We had, what, 10 minutes of Lallybroch in season 2 (which included several shots from season 1). Don't get me wrong, the tragedy of Culloden needs to be shown (I've posted about that before), and the 20 year separation is vital and valuable to the story. And I absolutely love experiencing Jamie's journey. But then I want them to dwell in the joy of reunion. I want a shot of them catching up on the ship, little moments like that. We've lost little moments in the first two seasons to focus on things like "The Garrison Commander". And it doesn't have to be Jamie and Claire. I loved the scene of Fergus and Murtagh discussing women. More of that.

That's a good point. The books detail a lot of love and warmth mixed in with the horror and heartbreak, I'm not sure the show has conveyed the love and warmth?  I mean, if I didn't read the books would I understand why Claire would want to go back to the 1700s?

Perhaps the show had gotten too wrapped up in embracing the uglier and grittier parts they forgot there needs to be balance to the story?

  • 2

Share Post


Link to post

I also wasn't a fan of the angry sex scene and think not being in Claire's head will make it seem a lot like rape.

  • 1

Share Post


Link to post
On 4/17/2017 at 8:39 PM, ruby24 said:

Are they still filming Season 3 right now? And are all the episodes written, because I'm sort of worried about the impact of the potential writers strike.

On Twitter, Maril Davis said that there all of the scripts are pretty much written so they don't expect the writers strike to affect season 3.

  • 1

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now