S04.E01: Blood in the Water 2014.08.01

While covering up Lt. Skinner's sudden disappearance, Linden and Holder are assigned a new case: the brutal murder of an entire family with ties to a military academy.

Share Post

I should never have marathoned The Wire this summer before tuning into The Killing for season 4.  Because there ain't no real police work being done by Holder and Linden.  They are the most pathetic police ever.  Kima and Freamon and Bunk....even McNulty would put them and their sorry ass angst style policing to shame.  Not sure I'm going to enjoy this truncated season built around covering up a lie instead of built around what should have been a fascinating murder?/attempted suicide?/amnesia?/whatever? 

Share Post

I love this show.  I love watching the camera pause on Linden's face.  (She sure can brood with the best of the brooders).   I think this murder/suicide or was it? will be extremely foreshadowing because Linden has always been a murder/suicide waiting to happen....and well.

I like military academy stuff and it looks like it will be interested.  I don't remember the name of the head lady but she wasn't happy at the reading of the son's father's will.  I think she was expecting the kid to get all the money and that she was going to be holding it in trust or something.

AS for the ending of the episode when Skinner's daughter showed up at Linden's house.  Wow that was intense and I liked it.  Linden is so going to spiral.  AndI am going to have fun watching it.  

Oh and two observations:  

1.  Nice Rorschach drawing on the wall.

2.  You know what they say about glass houses?  

Edited by Chaos Theory.

Share Post

i have to confess, I watch this show primarily for the atmosphere, the bleak theme music and the interaction between Linden and Holder.   The cases themselves leave little or no impression.   Example: two minutes after I started watching this episode, I had to stop and Google "The Killing Season 3 recap" to remind myself who Skinner is/was.

It's like comfort food.

Share Post

i have to confess, I watch this show primarily for the atmosphere, the bleak theme music and the interaction between Linden and Holder.   The cases themselves leave little or no impression.   Example: two minutes after I started watching this episode, I had to stop and Google "The Killing Season 3 recap" to remind myself who Skinner is/was.

It's like comfort food.

I have to admit, I had a hard time remembering Skinner and last years case. And who Adrian was. It came back quickly, but I completely flushed last season from my brain, even the cliff hanger ending. I am glad they started up at the point they did instead of days or weeks later. 

2.  You know what they say about glass houses?  

They have to have all white furniture? 

Share Post

I couldn't stop laughing at the panic-stricken look on Holder's face when the girlfriend dropped the p-bomb. Like he needed any other things on his mind.

Did the markings on the kid's back imply abuse from the parents or the school? I have so many questions, so it feels like another season is keeping up this show's tradition of keeping me sad and confused so far.

I liked the alpha-female showdown in every scene with the superintendent and Linden. Holder's smirky enjoyment of it increased my own.

Share Post

Welcome back Holder and Linden! I enjoyed this first episode and I am intrigued about the murder mystery and where it will go. I was a bit lost for the first twenty minutes or so because like other posters have commented, I was drawing a blank on what happened last season. I looked up recaps for each episode and then the reason why Holder was telling Linden that she had to talk to Adrien made sense. The part the recaps I read didn't cover was who got blamed for the 17 bodies they found in that pond. Was it Joe Mills? I know it was actually Skinner but I don't remember if they thought it was Joe who was guilty.

That glass house was very elegant but I would never want to live there. I would feel like I was always on display. I guess you have to be a bit of an exhibitionist to live in a house like that.

That last scene with the daughter screaming for her Dad made me think that this whole cover up is going to go side ways sooner rather than later. And now with the shell casing missing I am wondering if we are going to get another player in the Skinner death story.

Share Post

Not my favorite show but very glad Netflix brought it back.  Enjoyed seeing Holder and Linden again.   I had to watch the S3 finale to remember what happened.  I think the case so far is more interesting than the AMC seasons. 

Share Post

Never good to watch The Killing when you are already depressed. :)

I'm not looking forward to Linden being blamed for Skinner's death. Very curious as to why the School Superintendent was granted custody of the boy in the will instead of the uncle? How weird is that? Also curious about the marks on his back - abuse from the parents or the school?

Share Post

Not sure if it's because of the lack of ad breaks but this was definitely the most interesting I've found a  Killing episode since I first watched season 1. Season 3 kinda lost my attention somehow but I watched it "live" and my attention would wander during the breaks. I actually never finished season 3 until last night, watched the last 1 1/2 hrs of season 3 and was a little bit lost because I had forgotten what was going on, but overall really enjoyed that one too. I am a bit confused though, I guess Seward was innocent of killing anybody after all? And why was I supposed to care about the prison guards? I can't remember as it's been awhile since I watched the other episodes. I feel like this is a show I need to rewatch, at least season 3, but just not sure I care enough to take the time.

As someone else said i watch for Holder/Linden. I'm not sure why I find them so fascinating when I find the rest of the story so dull sometimes... Hoping this short, ad-less season will be a good one ! are they making any more?

Share Post

Hoping this short, ad-less season will be a good one ! are they making any more?

Sadly, Season 4 is the last. Enjoy it while you can.

Share Post

Never good to watch The Killing when you are already depressed. :)

I'm not looking forward to Linden being blamed for Skinner's death. Very curious as to why the School Superintendent was granted custody of the boy in the will instead of the uncle? How weird is that? Also curious about the marks on his back - abuse from the parents or the school?

You know when I think about it, the most interesting thing about that is how recently the parents must have made/changed their will.  I mean, I guess they could have made it a long time ago assuming their son would get into the military academy and would be there until he was 18 years old, but what if they had died before he was even of an age to go to high school.  If they made it 10 years ago, he would have only been 8, so the parents couldn't know if they would die when he was 9, 10, 11.  Because they didn't have a contingency plan for those years, it makes me think that they would have made/changed the will at least when he turned 14 (freshman year).   Or in fact even later than that, because it sounds like he went into the academy during his last year of high school, so they had no idea until he was 17 that he was even going into St. George's.

So did they make those changes because they thought he might try to kill them?  The parents seem all about image, and perfection, I'm sure they were all about him going to college, even if they thought he was dumb, they would at least not want him to embarrass them by not going to college, so why not leave any money in their will for that?  Did they hold back the money until he was 35 so he wouldn't have a monetary incentive to kill them?  

Sadly, Season 4 is the last. Enjoy it while you can.

This makes me so sad.  I was just turned onto "the Killing" and I think its the perfect show for Netflix.  Its a perfect show to binge watch especially if its one crime solved in one season.  Boo.

Edited by RealityGal.

Share Post

At a minimum, they would have made a new will six or seven years ago when the little sister was born. The dad was very involved as a St. George alumnus, so perhaps he always intended for his only son to be ruled by its commandant. A more specific question would be how he knew that Rayne would remain in charge for years and years. So, if I had to guess, that will is less than a year old.

Share Post

At a minimum, they would have made a new will six or seven years ago when the little sister was born. The dad was very involved as a St. George alumnus, so perhaps he always intended for his only son to be ruled by its commandant. A more specific question would be how he knew that Rayne would remain in charge for years and years. So, if I had to guess, that will is less than a year old.

But the father, who seemed to always be in charge, only was able to get Kyle (?) into the academy for his senior year.  So I don't know that they always had the intention of him attending the school, since he was in regular high school for so long.  It sounds like up until he was 17, he was going to regular school and thats how things were going to be, it just sounds like in his last year his father put his foot down, or someone decided he should go to St. George.  But the Rayne question is another factor in believing that the will is only a year old or less.  And so, if you changed the will less than a year ago, with the idea that the kid would go to college (because this seems like one of those families where its not really an option to not go to college) why would you hold the money back from him until he was 35 unless you thought he might do something to you, and you wanted to take away the incentive he might have to kill you....

Share Post

It's hard to have a complete discussion about the will until you've watched all six episodes. In general, though, the family hated Kyle and I can see them leaving him a pauper until 35 just for spite.

Share Post

It's hard to have a complete discussion about the will until you've watched all six episodes. In general, though, the family hated Kyle and I can see them leaving him a pauper until 35 just for spite.

I'm on the last leg of episode 6, and now I'm going to try to use the spoiler tag.

But I would think if they just hated him and wanted to spite him they would have left him out of the will altogether, or they would have left him much less than 50 million dollars

Share Post

Who knows what gives cruel people their jollies? I'm not sure any of us could reliably get into the heads of Kyle's sicko parents and determine what they would logically have done. Getting on with your life, knowing that you'll have to make your own way, isn't objectively worse than having $50 mil. tantalizingly there for you while you wait for over a decade.

Share Post

Who knows what gives cruel people their jollies? I'm not sure any of us could reliably get into the heads of Kyle's sicko parents and determine what they would logically have done. Getting on with your life, knowing that you'll have to make your own way, isn't objectively worse than having $50 mil. tantalizingly there for you while you wait for over a decade.

But even assholes have a certain logic to them. It's not a very nice or loving logic, but its a certain logic. These people were all about appearances, the pristine white glass house, IMO says everything. So to me, it makes more sense that they realized that Kyle was upset with the two of them, he hated them as much as they hated him. I think they had an idea that he was going to hurt them. Because there was no love between any of them, his "love" for them wouldn't stop them from killing them. But, as with many people who have money, they think money is super duper important. So they probably figured if he had a plan to kill them, and he found out that he wouldn't get any money until he was 35. It would be financially better to keep them alive. Because you know these people, IMO were going to send him to college, and fully pay for it because they want the world to see a perfect family, with supportive parents.    I think they would have thrown all sorts of money at the Kyle situation, because the money for them, is much easier than the emotions, IMO. After college, they would probably support him through graduate school.  And I making him wait to inherit may have not really kept him in the poorhouse until he was 35, I imagine with that much money guaranteed to him a bank would be willing to loan him money at a spectacular interest rate, and enough in the amount to where he could live comfortably.  So if they really wanted to financially screw with him just leaving him out of the will altogether would have been their best bet.  But I think they may have just been scared and figured if he was going to try to do something to do them, something he planned out, he may check the will, and as soon as he figured he would have to wait until he was 35 to inherit he would just drop any well thought out plan to kill them.

Edited by RealityGal.

Share Post

You could of course be right. But I have seen the "leave the kid you hate/believe too immature to spend it well money in trust till 35" trope a lot. (It's a plot point way back in The Importance of Being Earnest).

It could also be a way to keep Colonel Rayne from benefiting from the family's wealth. Of course, if they didn't think he was going to kill them, the whole will is moot because he likely wouldn't need a guardian and would be older than 35 if they lived a normal life span. Knowing these wri3rs, I suspect the will is just a way to make us realize something is more fishy than that this is a troubled teen who didn't get along with his parents. YMMV.

Share Post

You could of course be right. But I have seen the "leave the kid you hate/believe too immature to spend it well money in trust till 35" trope a lot. (It's a plot point way back in The Importance of Being Earnest).

It could also be a way to keep Colonel Rayne from benefiting from the family's wealth. Of course, if they didn't think he was going to kill them, the whole will is moot because he likely wouldn't need a guardian and would be older than 35 if they lived a normal life span. Knowing these wri3rs, I suspect the will is just a way to make us realize something is more fishy than that this is a troubled teen who didn't get along with his parents. YMMV.

I think I'm executor of a will where a niece gets the money when she's around 35, unless I decide she's responsible enough to get it sooner.  

I too had to really think back to S3 during this.  I don't remember if Seward killed anyone or not.  

Share Post

Seward was a thief and did serious assaults on a number of people but never killed anyone, I believe. I don't think Joe Mills ever killed anyone either, major creep that he was.

Share Post

I finally sat down and started watching this final season.  I enjoyed the first episode.  But I did not watch season 3 recently so I was trying to remember things.  I remembered Skinner being killed.  But it took me a minute to remember Adrian and everything else.  I know I should go back and re-watch the final episode of season 3 but I just didn't want to.

I do like the camera work on this show.  Linden sitting in her car in the empty lot.  Holder leaning on the balcony deep in thought.  And it isn't raining all the time.

Share Post

I enjoyed last season mainly because of Peter Sarsgaard's excellent acting and the actress who played Bullet, but so far this season's mystery feels pretty underwhelming. The military superintendent is rather annoying and I don't much like the actor who plays the son who may or may not have killed his family either. At the same time, I wish Holder and Linden would have just not tried to keep Skinner's death a secret since he is a serial killer and confessed to it, so Linden is justified in saying she was trying to apprehend him but he resisted so she shot him.

Edited by Mattipoo.

Share Post

On 8/12/2014 at 4:48 PM, Cardie said:

I don't think Joe Mills ever killed anyone either, major creep that he was.

Yeah I just started this fourth season, and am already feeling sorry for Joe Mills; is he going to get the needle for something he didn't do? I binge watched a couple hours of season 3 yesterday and got thoroughly depressed, but I couldn't stop. This season looks even more depressing as it seems inevitable that the coverup isn't going to stay covered up for long. So much foreshadowing of how hard it is to create a completely watertight story.

Share Post