Food & Cookbooks

If those of you who are making your own personal cookbooks out of your recipes, or recipes found online or in other places, would like to have them in something less than a full-sized binder/book, this product may work for you (but you might have to buy multiple copies or add your own index cards to it, depending on how many types of, or individual, recipes you have).

It's called "Study Buddy Notecards" & is made by Vera Bradley. It's a covered (comes in 4 patterns) ring-bound pack of 100 blank notecards with blank index tabs (comes with 4). The original purpose was to help students organize their class notes, make flash cards for study aids, etc., for school, but many people are commenting in the online reviews they're using them for other purposes, such as keeping a recipe file.

http://www.verabradley.com/product/study-buddy-notecards/impressionista/1001491_201815.uts?Nr=AND%28Content+Type%3Aproduct%29&Ntt=Study+Buddy+Notecards

Of course, you could also make something similar on your own. I saw this while looking for Christmas present ideas & just thought I'd mention it since I'm reading about people making their own recipe files.

Share Post

I check out tons of cookbooks from the library. It saves a lot of money and space because most of the time I only find a few recipes I want to try. I make copies of those I don't get around to trying before the books are due back. And if I find a book that I really like, I can afford to buy it.

Thrift stores are great places to buy cookbooks, especially the community/fundraisers types (church, PTA, Junior League). I rarely pay more than $2. Also, library book sales.

Edited by Mittengirl.

Share Post

It's called "Study Buddy Notecards" & is made by Vera Bradley.

Ooh that is so much more convenient than a binder. I like that you could just hang it by the stove. I'd still keep a *binder* but for the best of the best go to's this would be a great resource/gift.

Share Post

Ooh that is so much more convenient than a binder. I like that you could just hang it by the stove. I'd still keep a *binder* but for the best of the best go to's this would be a great resource/gift.

When I started organizing my recipes, I tried 3 x 5 cards, but the old eyes ain't what they used to be! I had to switch to 5 x 8 cards so I could use a bigger font.

Share Post

That's what I like about keeping them on a thumb drive:  before printing, I can make it any size I want.

Share Post

Bumping this thread because I got Lucky Peach's 101 Easy Asian Recipes for my birthday and I quite like it. It has Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino and Indonesian recipes and everyone that I have tried has in fact been quick (or at least a short prep time), easy and flavorful. They are not always the most traditional but I have enjoyed them.

Share Post

I read through Mark Bittman's How to Bake Everything over the weekend and it's everything you would expect.  Tons of recipes with variations and variations on the variations.  The no-knead bread method is in there plus a ton of frostings and fillings.  A few drawings but no photographs.  Weighs a ton.  It would make an excellent gift for the beginning chef or recipe collector in your life.

Share Post

I bought How To Cook Everything and it's been a lifesaver quite a few times in the few years I've had it.  This too would make an excellent gift for a new cook (or even an older cook who can't find that certain recipe on how to make scalloped potatoes or noodles w/ peanut sauce, etc).  

Edited by annzeepark914.

Share Post

On 2016-12-04 at 1:16 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I bought How To Cook Everything and it's been a lifesaver quite a few times in the few years I've had it.  This too would make an excellent gift for a new cook (or even an older cook who can't find that certain recipe on how to make scalloped potatoes or noodles w/ peanut sauce, etc).  

Seconding this. I have the photographed version which is a great alternative to the soft cover or text only version for people who like the visual learning.  Less recipes of course, but definitely one of my favourite cookbooks in my collection (50+) for its versatility.

Share Post

This weekend I went through Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan.  This is not the usual chocolate-chip, then peanut butter chip, then chocolate chocolate-chip variety.  She had cookies in there I never would have dreamed of.  There is a particularly intriguing chapter of "Cocktail Cookies" both sweet and savory designed to go with wine and spirits.  Every recipe had a full page color picture and the paper stock is nice and heavy.

Still, it's not a "keeper" for me as too many of the recipes were way too fiddly for me.  I know I'd never have the patience to make them and because of the big, beautiful pictures, nearly every recipe required two or more pages which means you would have to do a mise en place or risk getting chocolately fingerprints on every gorgeous page.

Share Post

OK, back when I was a kid in the 80's my grandmother got a cookbook called 'Virginia Hospitality' while on vacation. Everyone liked it so much that she ordered a copy for each of her children. The first thing I ever cooked (other than kraft mac & cheese) is the lemon squares recipe from this book. I now have my mom's copy, and I highly recommend getting a copy to anyone that's interested in southern cooking. I've attached links to two websites that offer it to anyone that's interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Virginia-Hospitality-Junior-League-Hampton/dp/0961360011

http://www.madeinva.com/Hospitality_Cookbook_p/va_hospitality_cookbook.htm

Share Post

I am very excited about Small-Batch Baking by Debby Maugans Nakos.  All the recipes make two to three servings!  If I want homemade cheesecake, I can make it without having the remains whispering to me from the fridge for a week and a half.  There's a recipe for a french bread boule that I can't wait to try because I'll be able to practice making yeast bread without breaking the bank and wasting lots of food.  I picked out a couple of recipes from the library's book and if they work, I'll be buying my own copy.

Edited by Qoass.

Share Post

Report back with your review - that sounds really suitable for my household too.

Share Post

@DeLurker, I tried two recipes from it this weekend:

Happy Morning Muffins which is her take on Morning Glory muffins.  Of course it took just as long to make a small batch of batter as it would a large batch but I was able to chop the handful of nuts and grate a single carrot by hand in a flash so I didn't need to pull out my food processor and clean it afterwards.  They came out so good that had I made a dozen, I would have eaten at least a couple in one go but this way I had one for Saturday morning and one (albeit a trifle soggy) for Sunday which was perfect.

Chocolate Chip Almond Dream Cakes were supposed to be like Italian Cream cake.  The recipe was easy to follow and the result was tasty but I found the texture rather leaden so I don't think I would make it again.

That said, I look forward to doing more next weekend.  Maybe scones?

Share Post

I had never seen a scone until about sometime in the 2000s.  I had heard of them, but they were a quaint British pastry.  When I had them, I thought they were brilliant - not overly sweet, not too cakey or breadish in texture, the right size...they changed my life.

So I vote scones.  Think I will peruse where I can obtain a copy.

I wonder if the Dream Cake's texture was off because of altitude?  I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about this cookbook which addressed the changes needed to a recipe at a bunch of different elevations.

Share Post

Nah, I'm at an average altitude.  I did use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream so maybe that was it.  Even so, the author alluded to the dense texture the cake would have.  Too dense for me.

Share Post

Well, I made a big mistake and ordered from amazon Oprah's Food, Health & Happiness cookbook w/o first checking it out via the library.  It's a wonderful cookbook for people who have chefs or who really love to make those recipes with lots of ingredients.  Just looking through it I realized it's not for me, so I'll probably donate it to my library for their book sale this spring ;>(

Share Post

Since it is new, do you have a used bookstore you could sell it to?  Mine doesn't give you cash, but store credit.  We love the used bookstore.

Share Post

It came w/o a jacket which is odd.  It's used but looks new.  Lesson learned!  Hmmm, I wonder if our used book store would like it?  Thanks for the tip DeLurker. In the meantime, I just picked up Ina's new cookbook at the library and will see if I like it enough to order it.

Share Post

That looks interesting!  And so does the lemon pie recipe, but I think I will try this with a quiche first.

Share Post

On 1/31/2017 at 0:13 PM, annzeepark914 said:

It came w/o a jacket which is odd.  It's used but looks new.  Lesson learned!  Hmmm, I wonder if our used book store would like it?  Thanks for the tip DeLurker. In the meantime, I just picked up Ina's new cookbook at the library and will see if I like it enough to order it.

Sell it back to Amazon or just return it for a refund.

Share Post

I jus bought "The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook" from ATK for my iPad. I got some sample recipes in an email. I liked them, and feel like I'm in a rut for cooking for two. My 1st iPad cookbook.

Share Post

I took Mom to Half Price Books today and all we looked at were cookbooks. She ended up getting a Tex-Mex one. I was tempted to buy this - it was organized by season, and the various fruit desserts were so pretty!

Share Post

I love HPB! Although not cookbooks, I recently got Julia's My Life in France (excellent!) and Jacques Pepin's memoir The Apprentice (also very good). I loved reading about two of my favorites chefs. For me, Julia's is a must-read!

Share Post

I love Half Price Books, too, but haven't shopped there much since I got a Kindle, but your post reminded me that they always have a really great cookbook section!

I am in serious lust with my Momfuku Milk Bar cookbook.  The best part of the cookie recipes is that they tell you to scoop out the dough and then refrigerate at least a few hours or overnight, but once you scoop, you can freeze half or part of the batch.  You definitely WANT to scoop first, not later-the dough is hard as a rock.    

This recipe may sound weird, but my dad said that it's his favorite cookie he's ever had.

Cornflake Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies

This one is SO unique!  

Blueberries & Cream Cookies

Some people might not like the recipes within recipes, but the cornflake crunch and milk crumb are tasty and crave-generating snacks, so believe me-they're WORTH IT.

My next recipe from the book is going to either be the pistachio cake or the crack pie.  I've heard the crack pie is the thing to get at Milk Bar.

Share Post

I have a seriously out of control sweet tooth, but I find the crack pie at Milk Bar too sweet. I used to buy the compost cookie, but I found the recipe and make my own, so now I go for the cereal milk or pretzel milk soft serve. 

Share Post

I checked the Momfuku Milk Bar cookbook out of the library.  I did photocopy some of the recipes out of it (yes, I know, I'm a bad, bad person) but truth be told, I've never felt up to the challenge of making any of them.  While I don't mind taking an entire day to make something labor-intensive once in awhile for a special occasion or just because but with these recipes, you frequently had to make an ingredient first and then use that ingredient to make the recipe you want to make.  I'm just not that adventurous.

Share Post

A trip to a thrift store today netted The Essential Baker ( https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Baker-Comprehensive-Chocolate-Ingredients/dp/0764576453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490045052&sr=8-1&keywords=the+essential+baker ) for one dollar.  It looks really interesting.  Instead of being divided into chapters by the type of baked good (cookies, cakes, etc.) it is divided by flavor, so if you are having a yen for citrus or nuts, you go right to that chapter.  Now I just have to figure out what to try first.

Share Post